Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭micks_address

Which setting are you referring to? Turning off windows update?

tried the update again last night but failed.. i havent babysat it to see what happens but everytime i come back to it the machine has powered down and when i boot it 'reverts' to windows 8...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

threein99 wrote: »
    Trying to update this on to my SSD, the install begins but after the first restart I get a black screen and it never goes any further. Once I get back to Windows 7 I get the following error

THIS COULD BE VERY RISKY: The safeOS setup files are stored in hidden folders on the C drive called C:\$Windows.~BT and C:\$Windows.~WS
    Perhaps try renaming those folders. You'll have to unhide them first so that you can see them: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows/show-hidden-files#show-hidden-files=windows-7
    Also untick hide operating system files
    I'm just guessing here really but I did rename those folders myself while trying to get the upgrade working and it didn't cause any problems. You may want to wait for Windows to release a fixit tool for Windows 10 upgrade problems.

As for the SSD problem, have a look in your event viewer in windows and see if there are any recent entries that mention the SSD. Press Windows key + R and type eventvwr.msc. Expand "custom views" and click Administrative events, wait a few seconds and have a look at the recent errors (ignore ones that are weeks old)

You can also check the SMART status of the drive using generic tools or download the specific SSD utility from the SSD manufacturer's website

Also, I got a black screen for about 2-3 minutes while upgrading mine but the status screen popped up eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Alun wrote: »
    That's the same on my laptop, the taskbar is too small, but on 125% it's fine. Everything else is just too big then, not fuzzy or blurred though.

Another thing that bugs me is the width of the scroll bars. They might just be OK using a mouse, but using a track pad they're far too narrow. I've found a reference to some registry settings that can increase this though, along with another handy one to return the colour to the title bars instead of white.

Share links?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Karsini wrote: »
    The general consensus is that you have to do an upgrade at least once in order for the licence to be applied. If you do a clean install right away, it probably won't activate.

You're spot on, stupidly I did that and now it won't activate unless I give them €135 for the privilege. No backup done of course and do you think I can find a W7 disc anywhere?? No chance...

jca wrote: »
    You're spot on, stupidly I did that and now it won't activate unless I give them €135 for the privilege. No backup done of course and do you think I can find a W7 disc anywhere?? No chance...
    PM me and I'l sort you out. :) Assuming you already have a Windows 7 key, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

THIS COULD BE VERY RISKY: The safeOS setup files are stored in hidden folders on the C drive called C:\$Windows.~BT and C:\$Windows.~WS
    Perhaps try renaming those folders. You'll have to unhide them first so that you can see them: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows/show-hidden-files#show-hidden-files=windows-7
    I'm just guessing here really but I did rename those folders myself while trying to get the upgrade working and it didn't cause any problems. You may want to wait for Windows to release a fixit tool for Windows 10 upgrade problems.

As for the SSD problem, have a look in your event viewer in windows and see if there are any recent entries that mention the SSD. Press Windows key + R and type eventvwr.msc. Expand "custom views" and click Administrative events, wait a few seconds and have a look at the recent errors (ignore ones that are weeks old)

You can also check the SMART status of the drive using generic tools or download the specific SSD utility from the SSD manufacturer's website

Also, I got a black screen for about 2-3 minutes while upgrading mine but the status screen popped up eventually.

To be honest, probably the safest way of triggering an upgrade is through the media creation tool. Just select the "Upgrade this computer" option.

Download it here.

The screen went black on mine for about 2 to 3 minutes before it continued on, so if that happens, just leave it. Might take longer on a slower machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Do I need to rename the folders to anything in particular ? I carried out the SMART check and it was ok.

I left it on the black screen while I was out for about 2 hours last night and it didn't move from it. I have tried booting from USB and the mediacreation upgrade option, its the same results no matter what way I try it

PM me and I'l sort you out. :) Assuming you already have a Windows 7 key, of course.

That would be great I have the W7 key, luckily it's still legible. I have recovery discs from other W7 computers that have passed through my hands at various times, are any of these capable of doing a full install? They are home premium the same as the W7 activation code I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The information given about windows 10 tells me that this upgrade is free for the life of the machine and once loaded the OS can be reinstalled on the same machine and will activate without issue once no significant changes have been made to the hardware.

Would a hard drive replacement be seen as a significant change? And ifmit is than how are we supposed to reinstall windows 10 after a HDD failure as there is no licence key available?

My concern is that Microsoft seem to be working a way to revoke/invalidate the licence I already possess with these rules. Also you can only revert back to windows 7/8 with a month of updating.

Then stuff like media centre will be gone but a DVD player will bemade available free for a limited time before it has to be paid for.

The more I read up on these sneaky clawbacks I'm starting to dislike windows 10 and might just stick with windows 7 and 8.1.

• Advertisement

threein99 wrote: »
    Do I need to rename the folders to anything in particular ? I carried out the SMART check and it was ok.

I left it on the black screen while I was out for about 2 hours last night and it didn't move from it. I have tried booting from USB and the mediacreation upgrade option, its the same results no matter what way I try it
    Its looking like you might need to do a clean install of windows 7 and start again. You could try my suggestion but it is always risky to play around with hidden operating system files.

I guess there is a chance that your USB key is faulty too

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Which setting are you referring to? Turning off windows update?

During the update process it gets to a step where you are asked if you want to allow Windows to download updates itself during the install or not.

Make sure you choose to allow it to update , multiple people have reported the install failing when they chose the "do not update at this time" option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Its looking like you might need to do a clean install of windows 7 and start again. You could try my suggestion but it is always risky to play around with hidden operating system files.

I guess there is a chance that your USB key is faulty too

Looks like I'm sticking with Windows 7 so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Have it installed and so far its damn good. Installed via media tool. Had to copy to a USB as I originally got the something happened error.

Completely seamless. Had a boot error with win8 that I decided I wouldn't waste the time fixing and hope win10 fixed it and it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Julez

OK, so I'm on 8.1 never got a notification to update. I have the system tray icon but it's just telling me to wait. I tried forcing it with the cmd route but that keeps failing. Then I tried "updating this machine" with the media creation tool only to get the "Something happened Something happened" error. Finally, I created the USB using the media creation tool, but when I went to run it it asks for a key, and I can't skip that step. Anyone know what key I'm meant to use?

Cheers

Julez wrote: »
    OK, so I'm on 8.1 never got a notification to update. I have the system tray icon but it's just telling me to wait. I tried forcing it with the cmd route but that keeps failing. Then I tried "updating this machine" with the media creation tool only to get the "Something happened Something happened" error. Finally, I created the USB using the media creation tool, but when I went to run it it asks for a key, and I can't skip that step. Anyone know what key I'm meant to use?

Cheers

Are you booting from the USB? You don't need to. Just open the USB in file explorer and setup.exe should be there. To be safe install as US English.

I had something happened error but setup.exe from USB worked first time.

irishmover wrote: »
    Are you booting from the USB? You don't need to. Just open the USB in file explorer and setup.exe should be there. To be safe install as US English.

I had something happened error but setup.exe from USB worked first time.

Yeah no, I'm just running the exe from the USB while Windows is running. Did it not ask you for a key?

Yeah no, I'm just running the exe from the USB while Windows is running. Did it not ask you for a key?

No it didn't. Did you download as US English?

That would be great I have the W7 key, luckily it's still legible. I have recovery discs from other W7 computers that have passed through my hands at various times, are any of these capable of doing a full install? They are home premium the same as the W7 activation code I have.
    It depends on what type of disc really. If it's from the same manufacturer it might work, but it will probably wipe the entire system in the process so be careful.

It depends on what type of disc really. If it's from the same manufacturer it might work, but it will probably wipe the entire system in the process so be careful.

I don't mind it wiping the partition as I have the drive split into two partitions with Windows in a separate partition and all my music, docs etc in another partition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

You should be able to download the ISO from Microsoft yourself as long as you have a valid Win 7 key.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery
    Think this works as long as the CD key isn't an OEM one. Might try that first?

No it didn't. Did you download as US English?

That's one thing I didn't do. I did UK English. I'll have to try again when I get home. Also, how do I know which editions I should install? I presume just Windows 10 home, but they had windows 10 home N and single language and stuff.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    During the update process it gets to a step where you are asked if you want to allow Windows to download updates itself during the install or not.

Make sure you choose to allow it to update , multiple people have reported the install failing when they chose the "do not update at this time" option.
    Its also worth going to your motherboard manufacturer's website and downloading the Network card/LAN driver onto a USB key or a storage drive before your start. The upgrade downloaded lots of drivers beforehand for me but didn't grab the LAN driver. Luckily my board has a wifi adapter so I could connect to the internet that way.

That's one thing I didn't do. I did UK English. I'll have to try again when I get home. Also, how do I know which editions I should install? I presume just Windows 10 home, but they had windows 10 home N and single language and stuff.

Hmmm it sounds like you did exactly whst my friend did and download the wrong thing. Maybe I'm wrong.

There should only be two options. 32 bit and 64 bit. I downloaded from windows 8.1.

Hmmm it sounds like you did exactly whst my friend did and download the wrong thing. Maybe I'm wrong.

There should only be two options. 32 bit and 64 bit.

If you go to the download page on a Windows 7 or Windows 8 system, it offers you the media creator. But if you go on an XP system or a Mac, it offers you the ISOs directly, but asks if you want the standard one, N or Single Language versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

When I ran Media Creator on my Windows 7 Ultimate, and chose the download ISO option, it offered me all the languages, 64- or 32-bit (or the two combined) and a whole raft of different versions including N and single language.

Alun wrote: »
    When I ran Media Creator on my Windows 7 Ultimate, and chose the download ISO option, it offered me all the languages, 64- or 32-bit (or the two combined) and a whole raft of different versions including N and single language.

If I go to the page in Firefox on Windows 8.1 I get this. But if I use an addon to spoof my user agent to Firefox on Mac, I get this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭micks_address

Quin_Dub wrote: »

if you dont 'choose' this does it automatically keep going? Once started i just got a message saying it would auto install and reboot several times etc.. i watch till first reboot then it goes back screen with a circle in the middle with percentage complete etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

HAs anyone else had any opinions on the fact MS are advertising the new high fuluting DX 12 with fast api call support and listing only AMD products as compatailbe ? (nothing to do with the fact MS bought AMD recently ?) The delivery on the performance metrics looks impressive . The way in which DX12 is completly re-architected sounds super sexy , but what about all you Nvidia people . Will MS drag the balls out of it now and wait till the very cusp of each legal battle is reached ?? IE does nyone think MS will try to hamper or slowdown Nvidia development ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Shred

The ISO download finally completed at 1:08am (just over 8 hours) but the update button finally became available to me through WU this morning; I've (remotely) kicked it off and lost connectivity after the first re-boot, TBC when I get home!

Edit: It's back online and all looking good and windows has even activated, I'd say it took around an hour to complete.

Advertisement