Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

dbit wrote: »
    HAs anyone else had any opinions on the fact MS are advertising the new high fuluting DX 12 with fast api call support and listing only AMD products as compatailbe ? (nothing to do with the fact MS bought AMD recently ?) The delivery on the performance metrics looks impressive . The way in which DX12 is completly re-architected sounds super sexy , but what about all you Nvidia people . Will MS drag the balls out of it now and wait till the very cusp of each legal battle is reached ?? IE does nyone think MS will try to hamper or slowdown Nvidia development ??

Rumours. No idea what you're talking about. Links please.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

HAs anyone else had any opinions on the fact MS are advertising the new high fuluting DX 12 with fast api call support and listing only AMD products as compatailbe ? (nothing to do with the fact MS bought AMD recently ?) The delivery on the performance metrics looks impressive . The way in which DX12 is completly re-architected sounds super sexy , but what about all you Nvidia people . Will MS drag the balls out of it now and wait till the very cusp of each legal battle is reached ?? IE does nyone think MS will try to hamper or slowdown Nvidia development ??

Microsoft hasn't bought AMD, and won't either, makes no sense for them.

Also, Nvidia don't have all their drivers sorted for DirectX yet, therefore they don't get included in the advertising.

You're tossing FUD around, nothing less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

irishmover wrote: »
    Rumours. No idea what you're talking about. Links please.

Lols hardly rumours but here you go :-
    http://sapphirenation.net/directx-12-what-it-means-for-pc-gamers/

http://www.vg247.com/2015/06/30/microsoft-in-talks-to-buy-amd-report/

Seems the link i was reading is Biased being saphire based so the Nvidia house have got them listed :-
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/9472/windows-10-launch-day-gpu-support-summary

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

You should be able to download the ISO from Microsoft yourself as long as you have a valid Win 7 key.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery
    Think this works as long as the CD key isn't an OEM one. Might try that first?
    Probably 95% of Windows 7 installations are OEM installations.

(Though in fairness, the population interested in upgrading to Windows 10 might well have a higher ratio of non-OEM Win7 installations).

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

No it didn't. Did you download as US English?

May I ask did you have to re-install any/many Programs/apps afterwards?

• Advertisement

Lols hardly rumours but..

Your idea of a rumour and mine are very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

(nothing to do with the fact MS bought AMD recently ?)
    Someone should update the Wikipedia page for AMD so.

Bayberry wrote: »
    Someone should update the Wikipedia page for AMD so.

I'm surprised it hasn't been edited to back this persons stupid rumours up along with their third party rubbish websites.

peking97 wrote: »
    May I ask did you have to re-install any/many Programs/apps afterwards?

Funnily enough zero. This was the easiest upgrade for me yet. All my games etc remained. When I finished it didn't recognise my graphics card and ran with the CPUs integrated one. Didn't need to install drivers just rebooted straight away and automatically everything reverted back to exactly how it was before with win8.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It looks good a lot better than windows 8.
    Makes it easy to disable metro mode on a pc ,laptop .
    It has a proper start menu.
    I,M reading it sends alot of browsing info ,personal data to microsoft ,
    unless you go into settings , disable cortana ,and it sends you ads .
    And change alot of setting in user info,privacy .
    Since win 95 ,there always seems to be 2 bad operating systems followed by 1 good one.
    win8 ,8.1 bad , win 10 good.
    It,s good news for gamers , direct x 12 , xbox 1 streaming .
    http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/211208-windows-10s-default-privacy-settings-and-controls-leave-much-to-be-desired
    of course 95 per cent of users won,t change privacy settings .
    Most people did,nt bother to upgrade from windows 7 as windows 8
    is worse ,or more difficult to use .
    Edge is alot better than internet explorer ,
    alot more secure .
    I,ll probably install it after i put another 4gig ram in my pc .
    Since its free anyway .

• Advertisement

I'm surprised it hasn't been edited to back this persons stupid rumours up along with their third party rubbish websites.

Lol i cannot stop laughing at you . what a child , this forum is for this exact type of discusion , if you can discredit people and their topics so easily it says tonnes about the person really. What ever .

Lol i cannot stop laughing at you . what a child , this forum is for this exact type of discusion , if you can discredit people and their topics so easily it says tonnes about the person really. What ever .

There was me expecting this person to somehow be in the know about all of this and link to factual sources.

Nice deflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Anybody else tried to change the search engine in Edge? I like the browser but I don't like Bing. I've gone through all the steps in advanced settings but when it comes to the part where you add a new search engine, there are no options and no way to add it manually.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Anybody else tried to change the search engine in Edge? I like the browser but I don't like Bing. I've gone through all the steps in advanced settings but when it comes to the part where you add a new search engine, there are no options and no way to add it manually.

Any search engine that wants to be in Edge will need to support the OpenSearch standard first. I have to wonder, with Googles comically bad support of Microsoft products, will they make the change?
    Only search providers that support the OpenSearch standard will appear in this list.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

This may be why:

Change the default search engine in Microsoft Edge

When you enter something in the address bar in Microsoft Edge, you'll see results from Bing, which is the default search engine. But the browser uses OpenSearch technology so you can change the default search engine. Here's how:
    1.Enter the search engine’s website and browse to it.
    2.Select More actions (...) > Settings and then scroll down to select View advanced settings. In the list under Search in the address bar with, choose Add new.
    3.Select the website and then select Add as default.
    •Note: Only search providers that support the OpenSearch standard will appear in this list. If they don’t support it yet, here's how they can.

From Microsoft.com

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've figured it out. Go to the website you want to use as a search engine e.g. Google.ie then do it. It will show up then and let you change it. I assume they implemented it that way to prevent something hijacking it without your permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

What I done was I changed to the custom settings and added Google as my default home page. I can search everything from there.....no more Bing.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

I've figured it out. Go to the website you want to use as a search engine e.g. Google.ie then do it. It will show up then and let you change it. I assume they implemented it that way to prevent something hijacking it without your permission.

That works :) Thanks

There was me expecting this person to somehow be in the know about all of this and link to factual sources.

Nice deflection.

If you could read i was asking a question and looking for valid input on the suggested posts . but fire away be mean, nasty and try to make your self seem more intelligent . You go for your life kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Anyone else getting mildly pixelated icons after installing windows 10?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

How are you guys installing Windows 10? I'm checking the updates on my Windows 7 laptop and it's not showing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

From Microsoft directly is probably the easiest route. Remember you must do an upgrade if you want your current Win7/8 key to work.

After the upgrade you can do a clean install if you wish.
    CyberGhost wrote: »
    How are you guys installing Windows 10? I'm checking the updates on my Windows 7 laptop and it's not showing up.

From Microsoft directly is probably the easiest route. Remember you must do an upgrade if you want your current Win7/8 key to work.

After the upgrade you can do a clean install if you wish.

Thanks Moose!

It's cool that they let you do a fresh install directly of Windows 10 with a 7/8 key. I was under impression that you'd first have to install 7/8 and then upgrade 10 over it.

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Thanks Moose!

It's cool that they let you do a fresh install directly of Windows 10 with a 7/8 key. I was under impression that you'd first have to install 7/8 and then upgrade 10 over it.
    You don't use your existing key. You actually skip the product key prompts but it activates anyway.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Microsoft hasn't bought AMD, and won't either, makes no sense for them.

Also, Nvidia don't have all their drivers sorted for DirectX yet, therefore they don't get included in the advertising.

You're tossing FUD around, nothing less.

Would not make sense ? explain that please ? MS would stand to save over a billion a year if they owned AMD for Xbox one , similarly they would earn massive over heads from Playstation ? Then as i was hinting i would suspect they would try to hamper the Nvidia house with slow delays , patches and hot fixs being delayed and suggesting they may try to push market in AMD direction ? Im at a loss as to how this would not make sense ?

Win 10 is heavily colaborating with Xbox ........... Holo Lens , ....... and to corner a market in both pc and console to me seems fairly intuitive.

I'm sure that such a move could be seen as anti-competitive. Intel wouldn't want it either.

Karsini wrote: »
    You don't use your existing key. You actually skip the product key prompts but it activates anyway.

That's even better! Thanks!

Would not make sense ? explain that please ? MS would stand to save over a billion a year if they owned AMD for Xbox one , similarly they would earn massive over heads from Playstation ? Then as i was hinting i would suspect they would try to hamper the Nvidia house with slow delays , patches and hot fixs being delayed and suggesting they may try to push market in AMD direction ? Im at a loss as to how this would not make sense ?

Win 10 is heavily colaborating with Xbox ........... Holo Lens , ....... and to corner a market in both pc and console to me seems fairly intuitive.

Well, for one thing, that kind of behaviour would run into anti-competitive laws all around the world, and the EU isn't shy about handing out huge fines and imposing requirements on companies. Therefore, sales to Sony would continue and development with Nvidia would also continue.

As for why it doesn't make sense, gaming CPUs and GPUs is just one part of AMDs business; apart from one area, the rest of it is haemorrhaging money all over the place. They'd need to buy the entire thing, then write off another massive portion of it almost straight away.

Microsoft would prefer to pay hundreds of millions for chips per year, rather than buy the company for billions, then write off half of the purchase price, and still spend hundreds of millions per year producing the chips.

Any know if it's possible to get the clock etc. to appear on both taskbars if using 2 screen and to force programs to open on the monitor of the taskbar you launched them from?

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    Well, for one thing, that kind of behaviour would run into anti-competitive laws all around the world, and the EU isn't shy about handing out huge fines and imposing requirements on companies. Therefore, sales to Sony would continue and development with Nvidia would also continue.

As for why it doesn't make sense, gaming CPUs and GPUs is just one part of AMDs business; apart from one area, the rest of it is haemorrhaging money all over the place. They'd need to buy the entire thing, then write off another massive portion of it almost straight away.

Microsoft would prefer to pay hundreds of millions for chips per year, rather than buy the company for billions, then write off half of the purchase price, and still spend hundreds of millions per year producing the chips.

But what if they planned to ship and design all the cpu tech in house for smart phones , tablets and lappies ? I still think it would be a wise move , dangerous and precarious but makes good financial sense ?

Advertisement