Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications#sysreqs

Use this to check your specs if that's what you are wondering.

My specs are fine, there's an issue with Samsung RV511 laptop installs, it gets stuck on a black screen after the first restart and doesn't move. I've seen a few others post the same on other forums, no one has a solution though.

Here's the error

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Installed without issue, although my anti-virus, AVG Internet Security 2015 & AVG PC TuneUp, are not compatible with Windows 10, so I have to revert to Windows Defender :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Can Microsoft Security Essentials be used with Windows 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Shred

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Installed without issue, although my anti-virus, AVG Internet Security 2015 & AVG PC TuneUp, are not compatible with Windows 10, so I have to revert to Windows Defender :mad:

I'm running AVG 2015 free (2015.0.6086) without issue.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Can Microsoft Security Essentials be used with Windows 10?
    It's built into the OS, renamed to Windows Defender, so no need to install it separately. Same as Windows 8.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Shred wrote: »
    I'm impressed so far, it's very smooth. I tested Xbox One streaming and it worked perfectly, did some (PC) gaming last night and no issues so far.

So I have a question:

I'm just waiting on my new case to arrive and then I will be building a new PC next week. What steps are involved in getting my fully activated W10 onto this (I have a retail W7 key)? I've had a look around and there are some mixed messages on the MS support forums, hopefully I don't need to go the route of installing W7 and upgrading again before I can do a clean W10 install.

Ah, you may have been better off waiting.

When you upgrade, it ties that computer (hard drive and motherboard) to your Microsoft account, meaning that getting Windows ten onto your new computer may require calling them up to activate it, and then convincing them that your old motherboard died.

Hmm, before buying the stuff I found this while researching:

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-upgrade-and-installation-faq-we-figured-out-who-pays-and-who-doesnt

Q. If I purchased my copy of Windows 7 or 8/8.1 as a retail license from either a brick-and-mortar store or an online store, then I upgrade to Windows 10, can I transfer that upgrade to a new computer under the retail licensing?

A. YES

See here also: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-do-i-transfer-windows-retail-license-after/6ee1dfe0-8adc-4cce-a46a-748963cf56d1

I've been thinking I might have to go as far as de-activating the license on my existing rig, but that probably means W7 first and then another upgrade on the new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Be careful folks.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/alert-as-hackers-send-bogus-windows-10-emails-689192.html
    Hackers are exploiting Microsoft’s offer of free upgrades to its new Windows 10 operating system, researchers have said.
    Security experts are warning about a wave of bogus spam emails with malicious attachments, labelled as if they are legitimate copies of the new programme.
    The attachments contain a “ransomware” programme that, when opened, locks all the data on a computer and demands payment to release them.

Researchers at Cisco Systems say the emails are designed to look like an official upgrade notice from Microsoft, but several words have random, out-of-place letters and punctuation.

Another important clue is that Microsoft says its update mechanism provides computer owners with a notice on their screens – not via email – when a direct internet download is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

For those who are having problems
    Windows 8.1 in windows update Windows 10 failed multiple times

Its simply your pc has not been flagged yet fully for the update to be installed and you will see we will notify you once your PC is ready

If you cant wait for the windows update to work
    You can though download the Windows 10 MediaCreation Tool
    32bit or 64bit versions to Force the installation
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-GB/software-download/windows10?OCID=reserve_r_PostReserve_MediaCreationTool

You can then choose to upgrade your pc or create a install media on USB or DVD or create an iso

357024.png

If you choose the option upgrade this pc now and this is best if you want to keep existing files and programs
    Your PC will be activated automatically for windows 10 no need for product key

You will need to do a few things first
    Your PC language and Region settings and system local settings change to English United States

After the upgrade has completed you can then change your settings back to English Ireland

If you don't change your Region and Language settings to English United States and are still at English Ireland before you attempt the upgrade you will get a message Something happened when you choose the option upgrade this pc now

357025.png

When doing the upgrade is best that you just have the one hard drive that has your Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 as the only hard drive
    If you have other hard drives with other operating systems on them remove After the upgrade has completed then you can connect them again

The upgrade process can take about over 1 hour to complete depending on how much files it has to copy of your windows 7 or windows 8.1 hard drive

The upgrade process also downloads any windows updates required as its doing the upgrade

If you have ATI Graphics Card there is Windows 10 Drivers now available you can download and install after the upgrade

The VIA HD Audio software that was on my windows 8.1
    I removed this and let windows 10 use its version for now until VIA provide updated drivers and software

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Very specific question I have a copy of visual studio 2003 working on my xp workhorse , I am going to buy a windows 10 machine soon will vs2003 work on it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

If you have an installation failed error in your update history, this might be of interest-

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=173455764&postcount=5540

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Very specific question I have a copy of visual studio 2003 working on my xp workhorse , I am going to buy a windows 10 machine soon will vs2003 work on it ?

I don't think it was even officially supported for W7 but there were workarounds: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/368334b0-f551-4f77-95a3-1abbeb2e8075/visual-studio-net-2003-is-not-compatible-with-windows-7?forum=vssetup

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Loving Windows 10 so far but the boot times are a lot slower than my 8,1 install.

Anyone else got the same issue?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive tried all the fixes listed.
    The one that gave me the fastest boot times was to disable onedrive in msconfig.No gui boot did little or nothing.

Wasn't fast boot times one of the supposed improvements?

Heres an interesting one.

If I start>>restart its taking over a minute to reboot.
    If I start>>shutdown and then hit the power button its booting back up in about 10 seconds.

Anyone else try this and let me know if its faster to shutdown completely for you rather than a restart??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Hellrazer wrote: »

If I start>>shutdown and then hit the power button its booting back up in about 10 seconds.

Anyone else try this and let me know if its faster to shutdown completely for you rather than a restart??

Yes, I thought I was imagining it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭whats newxt

It's nice alright, I really like that VLC app.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I managed to upgrade my version of tech preview to win 10 pro and it seems to have activated as well..

Also still have the prompt on my win 7 machine for the upgrade..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was watching Click on BBC News in HD today. Within those first 12 minutes, which is roughly half the programme, it had covered Windows 10 with an exclusive interview with Microsoft's CEO Satya Nadella.

Kate Russell, who used to do Webscape, had covered some other elements of Windows 10 included using the Xbox App, the multiple desktop function, Microsoft Edge Browser and Cortana.

If you want to see it again today. It will be on again today at 3:30pm. Or if you want to see the full version tomorrow on BBC News HD, it begin will at 11:30am and 3:30pm. You can also see it on BBC World News as well if your on foreign satellite.

Also I may have a little problem with trying to get Windows 10 myself. I am using Windows 8 professional 64-bit on my laptop. The licence for the OS is going to expire on the 19th of August.

I also have malware on the OS as well. To get rid of that problem, I am thinking that could it possible to upgrade to Windows 10 that might alleviate the malware with new software upgrades or by using internet programmes to get rid of malware first then, if possible, download the new OS.

I had bought this laptop from D.I.D. Electrical in Stillorgan in July of last year with an OEM licence for Windows 8.1. But the OS got downgraded to Windows 8 professional after I dropped the laptop at my home address by accident in January.

What do you think I should do next? Am I allowed to download via ISO as I did not get any upgrade notification at all from the Windows 8 taskbar. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Hi
    I registered for the update over 6 weeks ago I have the Windows 10 icon when I check the status it says I need do nothing will be notified when update is ready as far as I am aware nothing has been downloaded so far. Its a laptop should I leave on for few hours to see will it pickup the update or is it that I am still in the roll out Q ???

Thanks
    Ger

Loving Windows 10 so far but the boot times are a lot slower than my 8,1 install.

Anyone else got the same issue?
    Did you do an upgrade? I'd expect sub-par performance with an upgrade to be honest. Was never happy with OS upgrades myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Windows update.

It skips the update checks and tasks when not rebooting.

ED E wrote: »
    Windows update.

It skips the update checks and tasks when not rebooting.
    Could also be the same as Windows 8, hibernating the kernel rather than doing a full shutdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Had a quite a few problems to get this upgrade going but eventually got it installed.

Here's what I had to do in case someone else is having problems. (Upgraded from Win 7 Home 64bit)

Tried the normal upgrade through Windows Update twice but that kept failing. So first I uninstalled Comodo Firewall and Comodo Programs Manager, then downloaded the Media Creation Kit and ran the option to 'create media for a different PC'.

Once that was downloaded as an ISO I mounted it using PowerISO (also burned the file to a CD too for a clean install later) and ran the setup file from within it and used that to run the normal upgrade option. In the 'choose what to keep' setting I selected nothing and everything then installed smoothly. Win 10 activated and everything was running fine. It still created the windows.old folder too with all my docs and stuff so that was handy.

Then restarted PC and booted from CD, formatted C:/ and installed onto a clean drive, and that's it. Win 10 is activated too.

I'm liking Win 10 so far. Like the whole interface, it's nice and clean. Haven't come across any problems. Running Steam too and everything seems fine there as well :)

Karsini wrote: »
    Did you do an upgrade? I'd expect sub-par performance with an upgrade to be honest. Was never happy with OS upgrades myself.

Yep it was an upgrade. It was an old laptop that I had a not so legitimate copy of Windows 8.1 on that I was using for an OBD reader.Switching back and forth between XP and Windows 8
    Just wanted to try out Windows 10.
    Ill give it a few days and do a full clean install through the media creation tool and a usb stick.

Just need to get it dual booting with XP now.

Gerard93 wrote: »
    Hi
    I registered for the update over 6 weeks ago I have the Windows 10 icon when I check the status it says I need do nothing will be notified when update is ready as far as I am aware nothing has been downloaded so far. Its a laptop should I leave on for few hours to see will it pickup the update or is it that I am still in the roll out Q ???

Thanks
    Ger

Check this thread.
    Quickest way to skip the queue.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057470480

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Gerard93 wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks
    Ger

This link will trigger the update
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Julez

Liamario wrote: »
    If you have an installation failed error in your update history, this might be of interest-

http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=173455764&postcount=5540

Cheers. This was the ONLY method that worked for me. I tried every which way, I was almost abut to just wait it out like a sucker.

• Advertisement

what apps if any are worth a look ?

Advertisement