Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

I upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday. I haven't had much of a chance to use it, but one thing I have noticed is that the volume - even at max - is significantly lower than it was yesterday.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem, and do you have any tips on restoring the volume to what it was at Windows 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Is anyone experiencing problems with Chrome after an upgrade?

It'll open fine but can't load any pages and can't even get to the settings page, it's a bit of a nightmare as everything is in my Chrome

On a plus note, Edge is not bad at all :eek:

And I know should have done a fresh install but have a lot of stuff to go through before a wipe on this pc...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday. I haven't had much of a chance to use it, but one thing I have noticed is that the volume - even at max - is significantly lower than it was yesterday.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem, and do you have any tips on restoring the volume to what it was at Windows 8?

It's usually low enough until you enable the loudness equalisation.

On the bottm right corner of your screen on the taskbar where you see your little volume icon. Right click on it and select Playback Devices. It will bring up a list that might only have 1 on it but it should have a green tick on it indicating it's your selected speakers. Right click on your speakers with the green tick, go to Properties. Then go to Enhancements. It will bring up a list of enhancements. Tick the box for the 'loudness equalisation' and save it by pressing OK. & OK again.

That should make it a good bit louder for you.

(sorry for badly explained post :P )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Been hit with the dreaded "Critical Error - Start Menu and Cortana aren't working" there does not seem to be a workaround as the whole taskbar and start button do not work, either does pressing the windows key + z, so it is not possible to use CMD as a administrator and even adding a new user brings up an error.

This was a common issue with preview editions and is now back again with vengeance, till it is fixed I would hold off on upgrading.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

dacogawa wrote: »
    Is anyone experiencing problems with Chrome after an upgrade?

It'll open fine but can't load any pages and can't even get to the settings page, it's a bit of a nightmare as everything is in my Chrome

On a plus note, Edge is not bad at all :eek:

And I know should have done a fresh install but have a lot of stuff to go through before a wipe on this pc...

Thanks

I had the same issue, bring up your CMD box, put in c:\netsh winsock reset, hit return and then restart your PC, it should work then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Did upgrade from 8.1 . Must say its running flawlessly so far. Performance is nice and fast, UI is modern and sleek. I didn't want to do a clean install at the moment as its additional hassle installing everything.

Very impressed with it , I have gotten l, vista, 7 and 8 on the launch week and this is my favourite of the launches with no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

The upgrade from Windows 8.1 has been grand.
    1. Nice UI
    2. Browsers seem to be on turbo charge :)
    3. Cortana doesn't feel like a gimmick, in fact nothing so far feels gimmicky.
    4. No problems so far

General use is feeling like a new CPU was installed and that's not an exaggeration.
    Overall, the update has been worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

I did a fresh install after upgrading from 8.1 pro and it seems much better done that way. It activated no problem as I copied the new key from Speccy just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Have update and all well so far, needed the change language to English (US).

Execpt:

1. Can't get "Sky go" to run, on either Edge or Firefox or Avent.

2. And can't get the scroll feature on my touchpad to work (Elantech touchpad on a Packard Bell).

Starting to think of a roll back to W7 home premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Have update and all well so far, needed the change language to English (US).

Execpt:

1. Can't get "Sky go" to run, on either Edge or Firefox or Avent.
    AFAIK, SKY Go uses Silverlight, which isn't supported in Edge - you would have to use IE11. I was having problems getting Silverlight to load in IE11 on Win10 until I realized that had enabled ActiveX Filtering. Don't know why ot wouldn't be working in Firefox.
    2. And can't get the scroll feature on my touchpad to work (Elantech touchpad on a Packard Bell).

I had a similar problem with the touchpad on my Asus netbook. I downloaded the latest touchpad drivers from the ASUS site, and installed them (it prompted me to manually uninstall the existing installation first). It's working now, but since I installed them, I've found out that Win10 has built-in touchpad gestures, so I've been meaning to uninstall the drivers entirely and see if I can get by with just the native support.

Bayberry wrote: »
    AFAIK, SKY Go uses Silverlight, which isn't supported in Edge - you would have to use IE11. I was having problems getting Silverlight to load in IE11 on Win10 until I realized that had enabled ActiveX Filtering. Don't know why ot wouldn't be working in Firefox.

When I went via Edge, I was prompted to load/run IE, how do you ensure the ActiveX filtering?
    I had a similar problem with the touchpad on my Asus netbook. I downloaded the latest touchpad drivers from the ASUS site, and installed them (it prompted me to manually uninstall the existing installation first). It's working now, but since I installed them, I've found out that Win10 has built-in touchpad gestures, so I've been meaning to uninstall the drivers entirely and see if I can get by with just the native support.

I believe Asus and Packard Bell are the same company and PB do NOT support my laptop for W10. Might try Asus for drivers.

JT26 wrote: »
    How do you do a fresh install lads? I take it if I back up on one drive etc all be fine?

Have you done an upgrade? If so you can just download the ISO from Microsoft and install it. Skip any product key prompts and it should activate itself.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

When I went via Edge, I was prompted to load/run IE, how do you ensure the ActiveX filtering?

I believe Asus and Packard Bell are the same company and PB do NOT support my laptop for W10. Might try Asus for drivers.

It's Acer not Asus who own Packard bell.

Click the little cog-wheel (next to the new yellow smiley-face feedback button!), select Safety, and see if ActiveX Filtering has a checkbox next to it.
    I'd try whatever Win8 drivers PB has before I'd go pulling drivers from other sites. But try uninstalling whatever touchpad drivers are installed first, and see if gestures work without anything installed.

Click the little cog-wheel (next to the new yellow smiley-face feedback button!), select Safety, and see if ActiveX Filtering has a checkbox next to it.

Ensured that Active X has the checkbox,and then I tried Sky Go again, I got an option to update Silverlight. Downloaded the update, but once it ran, it verified that the installed version was the up to date version.

I'd try whatever Win8 drivers PB has before I'd go pulling drivers from other sites. But try uninstalling whatever touchpad drivers are installed first, and see if gestures work without anything installed.

I'll try and find W8 drivers.

I did an uninstall, and can still control the mouse cursor but still can't scroll down a long page.

It's Acer not Asus who own Packard bell.

Knew it began with an "A". Something else to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

JT26 wrote: »
    How do you do a fresh install lads? I take it if I back up on one drive etc all be fine?

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/clean-install-windows-10/

I have done this myself after upgrading from 8.1 and can confirm it works perfectly.

Ensured that Active X has the checkbox,and then I tried Sky Go again, I got an option to update Silverlight. Downloaded the update, but once it ran, it verified that the installed version was the up to date version.
    No, make sure that it's unchecked - "ActiveX Filtering" filter out ActiveX controls like Silverlight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

irishmover wrote: »
    http://www.cnet.com/how-to/clean-install-windows-10/

I have done this myself after upgrading from 8.1 and can confirm it works perfectly.

I'd be wary of option 1. I did that on a computer and a tablet. It messed up both of them. I got an inaccessible boot device error message afterwards. Had to do a clean install with a USB to sort it. That was easy on the desktop but a complete pain on the tablet.

I'd be wary of option 1. I did that on a computer and a tablet. It messed up both of them. I got an inaccessible boot device error message afterwards. Had to do a clean install with a USB to sort it. That was easy on the desktop but a complete pain on the tablet.

Unlucky then maybe? Now up to two computers for me and 6 mates have done it too. Totalling to 9 computers all with no issues yet.

All were running windows 8.1 though.

As a side note I've heard a major update is coming soon for win10.

http://www.winbeta.org/news/first-major-windows-10-update-coming-early-august

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭long_b

Did up a "Media Creation tool" USB last night.
    It appears that during setup the installer downloads the equivalent of the whole iso worth of data during the "Getting updates" section of the install.

Would recommend against doing the media creation tool if you're on a metered connection with only one or two PCs to upgrade

long_b wrote: »
    Did up a "Media Creation tool" USB last night.
    It appears that during setup the installer downloads the equivalent of the whole iso worth of data during the "Getting updates" section of the install.

Would recommend against doing the media creation tool if you're on a metered connection with only one or two PCs to upgrade

While I agree its not good if you're metered I'd still definitely recommend having a USB bootable drive just incase. Best to have that option than not personally. Judging from wat I've been reading in this thread alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

So anyone know how to sort out the touchpad scrolling problem, annoying to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jlayay

Upgraded from Windows 7 on my desktop and from Windows 8.1 on my laptop. No issues with my laptop but I did get 2 blue screens so far since the upgrade on my desktop main computer. Might be an issues with overclocking so I turned down the overclock and no more BSODs thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Upgraded from 7. When it finished I had turned on monitors (ooh saucy) but no desktop. I've not read this thread but read elsewhere that 10 seems to have a problem with dual screens and can end up displaying the desktop on a phantom screen? So I powered off and it rolled back and in doing so lost my usb keyboard drivers which was fun to fix....

Anyway I'll try again shortly once I plug out the second monitor and unpassword protect the OS.

astonaidan wrote: »
    So anyone know how to sort out the touchpad scrolling problem, annoying to say the least
    What problem are you having? I had to uninstall the old touchpad drivers, and install the latest version for my laptop:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96431012&postcount=859

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Polar101

Installed on Friday - I bought Win 8.1, installed that and upgraded straight to 10. The whole process took about an hour. So far there has been very few problems, the only issue is updating AMD graphics drivers - the latest version seems to install but the old version remains installed. I think I'll just try deleting the whole driver package and installing the newer version.

Can I just delete the Windows.old folder (which has 8.1), or is there a better way to choose 'I am not rolling back to previous Windows version' ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭lulzordan

Polar101 wrote: »
    Installed on Friday - I bought Win 8.1, installed that and upgraded straight to 10. The whole process took about an hour. So far there has been very few problems, the only issue is updating AMD graphics drivers - the latest version seems to install but the old version remains installed. I think I'll just try deleting the whole driver package and installing the newer version.

Can I just delete the Windows.old folder (which has 8.1), or is there a better way to choose 'I am not rolling back to previous Windows version' ?

I uninstalled the old catalyst drivers from the Uninstall a program option (Or Programs and Features, I don't even remember the name)

You can safely delete previous Windows installations using the Disk Cleanup thing

Advertisement