Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Media creation tool crashes out every time it processes the download.

Grabbing an ISO now, gonna go against Sonys advice and give it a spin on a real machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Anyone else finding boot time slower than Windows 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Tried to update a really old Dell laptop. Blue screened and now it's stuck in a "Restoring your previous version of windows" loop.

Repair doesn't work, no system restore/recovery points.

Any ideas ? I've got a media creator USB drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

coldfire1x wrote: »

Restart time is very slow for some reason but boot time isn't that much different from 8.1 from my real-world experience. It's definitely faster than 7 though but an SSD would probably cut that gap a lot.

I see as well in other news that 10 has now passed 18 million installs (not 67 million as reported by some places a few days ago) - while certainly impressive, I wonder if many of those have rolled back since the initial install?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Restart time is very slow for some reason but boot time isn't that much different from 8.1 from my real-world experience. It's definitely faster than 7 though but an SSD would probably cut that gap a lot.

I see as well in other news that 10 has now passed 18 million installs (not 67 million as reported by some places a few days ago) - while certainly impressive, I wonder if many of those have rolled back since the initial install?

whats' 67 million minus 18 million?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm pissed of now ... I did an upgrade from Win 7 on a Dell Laptop which went OK, but I decided I wanted a clean install instead so went into settings and did a reset and chose not to keep anything, and now the damn thing won't activate. I've tried to re-enter the product key from the sticker but it says it's 'blocked'. Any ideas?

Alun wrote: »
    I'm pissed of now ... I did an upgrade from Win 7 on a Dell Laptop which went OK, but I decided I wanted a clean install instead so went into settings and did a reset and chose not to keep anything, and now the damn thing won't activate. I've tried to re-enter the product key from the sticker but it says it's 'blocked'. Any ideas?
    Having the exact same issue with my brother's PC after an upgrade followed by a clean install. 10 has been a disaster for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I did an upgrade on my netbook from Win 7 and noticed some really slow start-up times. Did a fresh install after that and Win10 is really fast. If it's do-able, I'd do a clean install. Just obviously backup everything before doing it.
    Alun wrote: »

This was happening for a lot of us on the first day or so. After you upgrade then boot up it should auto activate. I then did a clean install and had initially entered the cd key into the installer but then went back and cleared the box before proceeding with it. It didn't activate for me initially and said that the CD key was blocked. The last 5 digits said implied it was the same cd key I had on record from when I upgraded it (found it using Magic Jellybean)
    It sorted itself out later on that night or the following day. Maybe run Windows Update or try and go into the personalisation section of the settings since I think those settings are blocked if you cant activate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Why not buy a cheap hard drive clone your existing system and then upgrade that. You can then experiment to your hearts delight with no danger of messing up your existing system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Anybody notice that it has messed up their keyboard?I have to input " for @.....

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    Anybody notice that it has messed up their keyboard?I have to input " for @.....
    Your keyboard is set to US. You can change it in the Language control panel applet.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I did an upgrade on my netbook from Win 7 and noticed some really slow start-up times. Did a fresh install after that and Win10 is really fast. If it's do-able, I'd do a clean install. Just obviously backup everything before doing it.

I have a SSD in my laptop. Still Windows 7 was quicker to load than Windows 10 for some reason. I have another laptop which is still on Win 7 and its beating Win 10 on the start up time.

I did do a clean install.

FYI: It's been posted few times. Anyone want to do a clean install, dont do it the first time.

First time just upgrade. Let windows activate by itself. Dont even try to do a clean install before you see that Windows has activated.

After it's activated, do a clean install from the ISO. When you are prompted to enter the license key just skip. DO NOT ENTER ANY KEY. No matter how many times it asks, simply skip.

After the clean successful install, it will activate by itself. Of course you will need to connect to internet for it to activate,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

You need to change your keyboard settings to English(Ireland) or English(U.K). On your task bar near the clock should be 3 letters. Mine says ENG. Click that and see what it says.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

First time just upgrade. Let windows activate by itself. Dont even try to do a clean install before you see that Windows has activated.

After it's activated, do a clean install from the ISO. When you are prompted to enter the license key just skip. DO NOT ENTER ANY KEY. No matter how many times it asks, simply skip.

After the clean successful install, it will activate by itself. Of course you will need to connect to internet for it to activate.
    It certainly activated the first time around after the upgrade. The only thing I might have done wrong is enter a product key. I'll try another clean install and skip that step and see what happens. If that fails it's back to Windows 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

You've got your region set to English US, and you're not using a US keyboard! (or the other way round).

If you have the region set to the US so that you can use Cortana load the English Ireland keyboard as well, and make it the default keyboard.

Just got a text from my brother, he's restoring the Windows 7 backup image I made. His copy of 10 was still not activated.

I think I'll be telling people to hold off on this upgrade. Has been an absolute shambles any time I touched it.

Karsini wrote: »
    Just got a text from my brother, he's restoring the Windows 7 backup image I made. His copy of 10 was still not activated.

I think I'll be telling people to hold off on this upgrade. Has been an absolute shambles any time I touched it.
    That probably says more about you than it does about Windows 10, to be honest. Lots of people haven't had any problems with Windows 10, but they didn't jump straight into a new OS that they aren't familiar with and start picking and poking at it.

By the way, are you using 3rd party firewall software, or using a router based firewall with an explicit proxy? I know Office 365 activation was tricky in those circumstances.

What's with the abuse? What poking did I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've seen it all over the forums/comments of some of the Windows fan sites.. there seems to be a hardcore element who don't take criticism of the new OS well.

Realistically there are some good ideas in there but it's still very much a work in progress at the moment and activation/installation issues are only one part of it. Myself I've tried it several times since the Tech Preview stage and I just can't past the bugs and annoyances I find with it.

I'm sure it'll come good in time but there's a lot of perfectly valid concerns and issues with Win 10 right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Ive not found any issue at all with Windows 10. I had a pirated copy of 7 and just clicked the upgrade thing and it downloaded and installed straight forward. Only issue I have had is that creative Labs have not issued drivers for Windows 10 yet, will be another month or so before they do. Until then I have resorted to using my on-board sound.

Im loving the faster start up and shutdown speed and Cortana is awesome and even though Im Scottish, she understands everything I have said.

• Advertisement

What abuse? You said that you'd tell people to hold off on Windows 10, because you felt it messed things up. I just suggested that it might have been the things that you were doing that were the problem, not Windows 10 itself.

You had an activated copy of Windows 10, and then decided to do clean install from an ISO, instead of using the built in Refresh option, and then didn't wait to see if the activation issue sorted itself out over time - you didn't say that the lack of activation was causing an problem, unless I missed that.

That's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I'm loving it so far. Like I said before I never used win 8 at all. Some of the stuff is strange but a quick look in here or a google of a problem and the help is out their to sort nearly any problem. I've just deleted my windows.old file so no going back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Activation does seem to be a bit of an issue. Apparently upgrade, make sure you're using a MS account, wipe, clean install, use same MS account.

Corrections welcome before I do my clean install! :D

Running the upgrade ATM, happy out.

Activation does seem to be a bit of an issue.
    I think applying Windows XP procedures to Windows 10 might the issue - activation is just the symptom.

Bayberry wrote: »
    But I've since read that Win10 is supposed to have built in gesture support - I've been meaning to uninstall SmartGesture and see if the built in gestures work for me, but I haven't have a chance to do that yet.

Windows Update installed an "ELAN Driver Update for ELAN device" today. It showed up in the "Program & Features" Control Panel as "Elan Touchpad 15.8.4.3_X64_WHQL".

So I decided to uninstall the SmartGestures driver, and scrolling is still working. There is now an ELAN panel in the "Additional Mouse Options" panel, where I was able to change the scroll direction, and I also now have 3 fingered swipe working too.

astonaidan wrote: »
    So anyone know how to sort out the touchpad scrolling problem, annoying to say the least
    Windows Update installed a new Touchpad driver for me today, "ELAN Driver Update for ELAN device" today. It showed up in the "Program & Features" Control Panel as "Elan Touchpad 15.8.4.3_X64_WHQL".

All scroll functions now work natively in Windows 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

I'm not a computer nerd however my upgrade from 8.1 went to 10 went seamlessly. All done in just over an hour 20. I'm just trying now to tidy things up and I was wondering should I continue with my avira anti virus and is it sufficient to look after the new upgrade or is new anti virus required.
    Thanks, Ben.

I am having a small issue. Anytime I put the windows to sleep and start again the wireless doesnt seem to work. No matter how many times I try to connect. Once I restart everything works as usual.

It's just weird, why wireless doesnt connect waking up from sleep.

Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I am having a small issue. Anytime I put the windows to sleep and start again the wireless doesnt seem to work. No matter how many times I try to connect. Once I restart everything works as usual.

Anyone else?

Have you gone through your power options?

• Advertisement

I'm not having that problem.

It is most likely a driver issue. Go to the support site for you laptop, and see if they have updated drivers for your wifi adapter. Even if they don't have a Windows 10 version, see if the Windows 8 version is newer than the version that you already have.

To check the driver version that you're currently running, click on the Start button and type network connect. Select View Network Connections, then
    right-click on your WiFi adapter, select Properties, Click on Configure and then lick on the Driver tab.

Advertisement