Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Bayberry wrote: »
    Windows Update installed a new Touchpad driver for me today, "ELAN Driver Update for ELAN device" today. It showed up in the "Program & Features" Control Panel as "Elan Touchpad 15.8.4.3_X64_WHQL".
    Just noticed that there's a little Touchpad icon in my notifications window.

It says "Toshiba Pointing Device", even though I have an ASUS laptop.

So much for WHQL testing :)

What abuse? You said that you'd tell people to hold off on Windows 10, because you felt it messed things up. I just suggested that it might have been the things that you were doing that were the problem, not Windows 10 itself.

You had an activated copy of Windows 10, and then decided to do clean install from an ISO, instead of using the built in Refresh option, and then didn't wait to see if the activation issue sorted itself out over time - you didn't say that the lack of activation was causing an problem, unless I missed that.

That's all.

Okay, well since my competency was being put into question I feel the need to explain myself. Disclaimer, I have clinical depression and I've had a rotten day so I'm certainly being influenced by external factors in my reactions here.

I've tried the installation on three machines and had reserved a fourth.

I did the first install on my laptop. I did the upgrade, which activated fine. So I did a clean install, yes using the ISO, and that worked absolutely fine. The problems I had were with drivers, especially the video driver, but I saw it also offered me a Lenovo keyboard driver even though it's a HP laptop. I've deferred those updates but I can see that they're still sitting there waiting to be installed. As I said before, I draw a line at mandatory driver updates so if these install themselves again, 8.1 will have to go back on the laptop.

Secondly, I did my desktop. The upgrade was very unstable. During the final stage, where it says "installing your apps" the system stopped responding. I left it for about 20 minutes and was still on the same screen. I had to reboot the system, after which it booted into the desktop but the shell was unresponsive. When I clicked Start, I could see the outline of the menu but no actual menu. It also felt really sluggish, but I could get into the system properties and I could see that it was activated successfully. A clean install would probably work fine here but I haven't had the time to do it.

I also had the upgrade reserved on my tablet. This was initially fine, but suddenly decided that the Intel video wasn't supported and said I wasn't eligible.

Then I did the upgrade for my brother today. I didn't do a reset because if it wiped his data drives I wouldn't have had the time to restore from backup as I had a train to catch this evening. He restored to Windows 7, not me. So no, I wasn't the one who "didn't wait to see if the activation issue sorted itself out over time". I don't use any third-party firewalls and neither does he.

By the way, Alun did a reset and his wasn't activating either.

Upgrade installs can't be trusted, this was always the case. Clean is the only way you can be happy that some funny issue you're experiencing isn't down to dodgy software. I'll do upgrades in the lab but never on a system that will see actual use.

So no, I haven't had a good start with Windows 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

^^^I'm not going to quote the whole thing but from some people on line the problems seem to be on a manufacturer to manufacturer basis. My computer Medion-no problem at all. The wife's laptop Samsung- trouble all the way through. Going online and a lot of Samsung folks are having trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

If anyone is having problems with Microsoft's really informative error description!! "Something Happened" error . The following fixed the issue for me.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-fix-windows-10-installation-stalling-something-happened-error-screen-1513656

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

One of my customers took it upon himself to upgrade his laptop to W10*. Worked fine, activated no bother, but he couldn't figure out why he couldn't log on. For some funny reason on the log on screen, he could see the little icon (that if you click it, reveals your password) but there was no right arrow (equivalent of enter) that actually proceeds to log you in. He obviously didn't know that hitting the enter key would do the trick too. I had to see it for myself to believe it. Haven't googled it yet, but it really is weird.

*BTW he is 78 years old and has very, very basic computer skills - fair play to him! :)

I upgraded two more PCs over the weekend. These originally had Vista Business. They were running W7 pro with a COA stickers stating "Windows 7 Pro for refurb PCs" - Don't remember seeing that before. They both activated immediately after the upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

irishmover wrote: »
    Have you gone through your power options?

Yes, I have done that. There's nothing there that can cause this.
    I'm not having that problem.

It is most likely a driver issue. Go to the support site for you laptop, and see if they have updated drivers for your wifi adapter. Even if they don't have a Windows 10 version, see if the Windows 8 version is newer than the version that you already have.

To check the driver version that you're currently running, click on the Start button and type network connect. Select View Network Connections, then
    right-click on your WiFi adapter, select Properties, Click on Configure and then lick on the Driver tab.

[/QUOTE]

I have taken the backup of all my drivers before upgrading to windows 10. I will restore wireless and graphics card drivers at a minimum. Lets see if that sorts it out.

FYI: For anyone going for the upgrade, backup your divers before the upgrade. Just in case if you need them.

Google "Double Driver". Download portable version and backup you drivers.

Not a virgin anymore :o

Got my first Windows 10 crash, yay.... :rolleyes::eek:

coldfire1x wrote: »
    FYI: For anyone going for the upgrade, backup your divers before the upgrade. Just in case if you need them.

Google "Double Driver". Download portable version and backup you drivers.

Bad advice. There's no point in backing up old Windows 7 era drivers! If you have an issue with drivers, download the latest version available from whoever made the PC.

Bad advice. There's no point in backing up old Windows 7 era drivers! If you have an issue with drivers, download the latest version available from whoever made the PC.

Nah, not that easy. Especially for old laptops. I have 2 laptops, one really old and one new.

Easier to get the drivers for the new but not the old laptops/PC.

I have mobile broadband card in the old laptop. Win 10 did not even install any driver for it. In the device manager it was under unknown.

Couple of clicks from Double Driver and I dont have any missing driver.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

So if I leave it unactivated will it auto do it, I upgraded from a pirate version of windows 8:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Yes, I have done that.

Are you sure? This issue you're having is not just a windows 10 problem. Its happened in 8 and 7.

Open Device Manager. Open the Network adapters section, right-click your wifi adapter and choose Properties. Navigate to the Power Management tab, uncheck allow the computer to turn off this device and set it to allow this device to wake the computer and then save the changes you made.

This is what I've done for my laptop on windows 8 to get it working in sleep mode. When I get home I'll try navigate myself to the same location and see if the options are the same but this definitely fixed my problem in windows 8.

^^ Yes I am sure. I have done all that. Never had any issue with Windows 7.

Still not sure why I am having this weird problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

irishmover wrote: »
    Did you try simply restarting your computer? I've a 980ti when I first got into win10 it was running on intel. I went and downloaded the win10 WHQL driver and it wouldn't apply it. I restarted my computer (first time since initial boot into desktop for win10) and it automatically downloaded the 353.62 driver.

I did try restart and I checked the bios, the graphics card wasn't seen before or after the reboot, or in the bios.

I went back to 8.1, updated the driver to the latest, then tried going to 10 again. Same issue. I googled it and found a few people had the same problem, they were able to resolve it was restarting several times until it was seen in the bios again. Once it was seen, I could apply the driver in Windows.

Weird. Had to restart like 5 times before the card was seen and I was able to install the drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I did try restart and I checked the bios, the graphics card wasn't seen before or after the reboot, or in the bios.

I went back to 8.1, updated the driver to the latest, then tried going to 10 again. Same issue. I googled it and found a few people had the same problem, they were able to resolve it was restarting several times until it was seen in the bios again. Once it was seen, I could apply the driver in Windows.

Weird. Had to restart like 5 times before the card was seen and I was able to install the drivers.

Always weird how a restart can just fix things.... Or... In this case.. 5..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Upgraded from 8.1 last night. Had to use the Media Creation Tool. Installed with no issues and doesn't seem to any application, data or driver issue. Seems very smooth but haven't had a good run on it yet

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I have upgraded two old computers using the media creation tool one was a Samsung netbook NC10 and the other is a Dell Inspiron 1520. Both upgrades took a good while but seem to be ok. However both somehow ended up with adware installed - Wander Burst - and I was wondering if anyone else found this? It seems strange that it would happen with both installations.

Karsini wrote: »
    As I said before, I draw a line at mandatory driver updates so if these install themselves again, 8.1 will have to go back on the laptop.
    If you draw the line at mandatory updates, why are you even wasting your time with Windows 10?
    Secondly, I did my desktop. The upgrade was very unstable. During the final stage, where it says "installing your apps" the system stopped responding. I left it for about 20 minutes and was still on the same screen. I had to reboot the system, after which it booted into the desktop but the shell was unresponsive. When I clicked Start, I could see the outline of the menu but no actual menu. It also felt really sluggish, but I could get into the system properties and I could see that it was activated successfully. A clean install would probably work fine here but I haven't had the time to do it.
    OK, so you interrupted the installation process, and things are flakey after that. 20 minutes might seem like a long time, but it's not an excessive time during an upgrade. And given the wide range of experience that upgrading users will have, interruptions like this are something that Windows 10 needs to be pretty robust about handling, so you could argue that Windows 10 is a failure because it didn't handle being a forced reboot in the middle of the upgrade procedure, but I think you'd have to admit that that's a 50/50 situation at best.
    I also had the upgrade reserved on my tablet. This was initially fine, but suddenly decided that the Intel video wasn't supported and said I wasn't eligible.
    That sounds like the behavior that you'd want! Better than it allowing you to upgrade and then finding that it doesn't work. Especially on a tablet where screen interaction would be critical. I understand that this might be disappointing, but the blame here should go more towards Intel than Microsoft, I think.
    Then I did the upgrade for my brother today. I didn't do a reset because if it wiped his data drives I wouldn't have had the time to restore from backup as I had a train to catch this evening. He restored to Windows 7, not me. So no, I wasn't the one who "didn't wait to see if the activation issue sorted itself out over time".
    This was the specific post that I responded to. "Not activated yet" when there are numerous posts from people saying that activation wasn't immediate for them, but everything was OK the following day sounds like someone jumped the gun.
    Upgrade installs can't be trusted, this was always the case. Clean is the only way you can be happy that some funny issue you're experiencing isn't down to dodgy software.
    And if you're not having some funny issue? telling inexperienced users to do a clean install to fix dodgey software, only for them to re-install the dodgey software as soon as they've re-installed Windows is a bit circular.

One thing that we all knew about the Windows 10 upgrade was that activation would be different. And the one thing that clean installs always have to be careful about is activation. So using the Windows 95 approach of blowing everything away and starting afresh "because that's the way my grandfather showed me", is questionable, at best. Especially as Windows 8 and 10 provide a built in method for achieving this "fresh install".
    So no, I haven't had a good start with Windows 10.
    Fair enough. And it's perfectly reasonable that you tell people about your bad experience. But it's also reasonable to tell them that some of the problems might not be entirely down to Windows 10 itself - it's a new version of Windows, and some of the things that you're used to doing might not be "best practice" any more.
    Obviously, you were closer to these situations than I am, and the frustration that you feel is still raw, but I think you'll have to admit that, given the scale of the operation, and the range of experience of the users doing the upgrade, the lack of wails of despair and outrage is actually a bit surprising. Obviously, people have hit bumps and hiccups, but given that the people most likely to come to boards to comment on their upgrade experience are precisely those people who have had a problem, it's been a remarkably quiet week

Don't know anything about it, but there's another post mentioning it, from someone who bought a new laptop with Win10 pre-installed (or possibly upgraded in-store, I suppose)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96471630

Might have asked already here..... memory ain't wait it used to be sorry :o

In a dual display set up in windows 10 is there any to force applications/ windows to open on the display you opened them from :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Same as before. Open the application and move it to the display you want it on. Then close the application.

Next time you start it, it will open on that same display!

unkel wrote: »
    Same as before. Open the application and move it to the display you want it on. Then close the application.

Next time you start it, it will open on that same display!

Just looking for something a little more intelligent (the process not your input ,least there be any confusion :D ) The programs won't be running on the 2nd display all the time, only when the 2nd input on the primary display is in use so technically I'm really only ever using one of the displays for pc any a given time.

Currently I just launch the program from the taskbar of the extended desktop on display 2 and win + shift left to move it to 2nd display, I'd actually prefer it not to remember the position, as when I go back to using the primary display in windows I have to move it back there if I forgot to send it back previously.

Just looking at Ultramon , remember using it for work a number of years ago but not sure if it did what I'm looking to do? Not a huge deal just a time saver / laziness for me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Brian2011

I upgraded to Windows 10 a few days ago and the only difference I see is that they have integrated the Windows 8 tiles into the start menu which is back again. It is not faster either and icons on taskbar are smaller and bland looking.

It could not find my phone when Bluetooth was turned on. so I had to go back to Windows 8.1 as had no issues with Bluetooth finding my phone.

I have to say I actually much prefer Windows 8.1. I was looking forward to Windows 10 but am disappointed with it, anyone else think the same?

Also if you have already upgraded to Windows 10 and don't like it either, you only have 1 month to go back to Windows 8, so keep this in mind, or else you will be stuck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Brian2011 wrote: »
    I upgraded to Windows 10 a few days ago and the only difference I see is that they have integrated the Windows 8 tiles into the start menu which is back again. It is not faster either and icons on taskbar are smaller and bland looking.

It could not find my phone when Bluetooth was turned on. so I had to go back to Windows 8.1 as had no issues with Bluetooth finding my phone.

I have to say I actually much prefer Windows 8.1. I was looking forward to Windows 10 but am disappointed with it, anyone else think the same?

Also if you have already upgraded to Windows 10 and don't like it either, you only have 1 month to go back to Windows 8, so keep this in mind, or else you will be stuck with it.

Not too much has changed from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. But since most PC's in the world are running Windows 7. It's a major update for most. They'll get the ribbon menus in explorer. Native support for mounting ISO. Updated Task Manager (which most dislike).

The biggest change in Windows 10 so far is the fact that both 'modern' apps and legacy windows applications run and display the same. No more of that crappy Windows 8 experience of launching a modern app and having it take over the entire screen and then you having to go back to the desktop for your other apps. Also, the obvious difference. When you use Win10 on a tablet you get a different experience...so it's presents in a way that's best of the device that you're using.

I did notice on a large touch display running from a PC, it'll still show a start menu...which doesn't make much sense on that type of display but I guess they don't key off of the display itself.

I like some of the little nuanced changes in Windows 10 too..like the calendar and clock display. It could be very cool if they update the Xbox One UI and release a, hopefully good mobile OS that allows you the same experience across all devices. To me it seems like they rushed the release. They usually do their major releases in October.

They have promised a lot of new features in an October update. I wish they just rolled it all out in October instead but maybe it's smart. Get the real world test out of the way first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

My machine is running much faster than it did on 7 anyway, particularly noticeable on start up and shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Brian2011

ThisRegard wrote: »
    My machine is running much faster than it did on 7 anyway, particularly noticeable on start up and shut down.

Maybe for Windows 7, but no noticeable difference in speed between 8 and 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 some1whothinks

Hey peoples,
    I've got a Lenovo Thinkpad laptop, that currently has three operating systems
    Kodibuntu (basically Lubuntu 14.04 stripped down to bare essentials with Kodi installed)
    Ubuntu 15.04
    Windows 7 Pro

I've got the Win 10 upgrade reserved on this machine. If I upgrade, will the process wipe my other two operating systems, will it allow me to keep them (like when I install a Debian based Linux distro, and it asks me if I want to keep any other OS's it detects)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Hey peoples,
    Kodibuntu (basically Lubuntu 14.04 stripped down to bare essentials with Kodi installed)
    Ubuntu 15.04
    Windows 7 Pro

I've got the Win 10 upgrade reserved on this machine. If I upgrade, will the process wipe my other two operating systems, will it allow me to keep them (like when I install a Debian based Linux distro, and it asks me if I want to keep any other OS's it detects)

I have a laptop which runs Fedora and Windows 8.1 (previously upgraded from 7) - upgraded Windows 8.1 to 10 and the bootloader wasnt touched. I'm not sure about a direct upgrade from 7 to 10 but I'm assuming you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 some1whothinks

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I have a laptop which runs Fedora and Windows 8.1 (previously upgraded from 7) - upgraded Windows 8.1 to 10 and the bootloader wasnt touched. I'm not sure about a direct upgrade from 7 to 10 but I'm assuming you'll be fine.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭long_b

Hey peoples,
    Ubuntu 15.04
    Windows 7 Pro

I was dual booting. Had a messy install, blew away my grub stuff, boots straight into 10 now

Advertisement