Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Perhaps if I installed Flash it would help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

testicle wrote: »
    Perhaps if I installed Flash it would help!

Flash is built in to IE11 with 10, it's like Chrome.

Indeed it is, so why the fock doesn't it work...

A-ha! I had ActiveX Filtering enabled somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

My laptop is grinding to a stop and needs to be wiped clean at this stage but I've lost my DVD of Win 7.

How stable is Win10 looking? Would it be reliable enough for everyday use?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

J o e wrote: »
    My laptop is grinding to a stop and needs to be wiped clean at this stage but I've lost my DVD of Win 7.

How stable is Win10 looking? Would it be reliable enough for everyday use?

It's very stable imo, definitely worth a go.
    If you still have your key for win 7 you should be able to download an image, I can pm you a proper (not dodgy) link if you want.

Downloaded the ISO and trying to install Win10 but getting a strange stripey screen when booting from the DVD. Anybody seen this before?

5L4Ttq.jpg

Seems it was a dodgy burn using InfraRecorder. Burned another DVD with the windows tool and verified; installing fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Pretty stable, although I have had one crash since installing it 5 weeks ago (was fine after auto reboot)

Do bear in mind it will only work until 17/04/2015 and it is not guaranteed that there will be an upgrade path to another version of Windows 10 from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

unkel wrote: »
    What seems to be the problem? Have you applied the major upgrade that brings Window 10 to build 9860?

Yes the major upgrade to build 9860 seems to be the problem. Its quite hard to explain but anytime I hover over text the text goes fuzzy and it looks like a spoiler tag. I can't even use the laptop

• Advertisement

Have you completely uninstalled your graphics driver + all software and re-installed it? That was one of the things I had to do when I upgraded from W8.1 to the first version of W10 on September 30th

Another major update today: build 9879

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

wheres cortana dammit

my laptop is past the point of needing a wipe, so its about to be tennified

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I picked up a cheap laptop to test 10 on and so far the only issue I can see with it is that it's unforgiving of the ancient 5400rpm hard drive that I put it on. I've got a Scorpio Black that should resolve that issue, though. Other than that it's looking pretty good. (Well, the other issue is that it misidentified the display adapter and it took a while to find the right driver - but that's mainly an issue because I was installing on Vista-era hardware...)

Fysh wrote: »
    I picked up a cheap laptop to test 10 on and so far the only issue I can see with it is that it's unforgiving of the ancient 5400rpm hard drive that I put it on.

Really? I've installed on several old laptops with 5400rpm SATA drives and there were no issues. Surely you're not talking about a 10 year old laptop with a PATA drive?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Really? I've installed on several old laptops with 5400rpm SATA drives and there were no issues. Surely you're not talking about a 10 year old laptop with a PATA drive?

Oh no, I mean the specific 5400rpm drive I used. I've not been convinced that it's entirely functional for ages, but it was the first drive I had to hand that had nothing important on it. The laptop itself came with a Scorpio Black drive, so once I've imaged its initial contents I'll probably bung 10 onto it. Given my past experience with Scorpio Black drives it should be a substantial improvement...

i put it on the same ultrabook I had been having issues with and it runs like brand new. Under the 8.1 OEM I had it took 5 minutes to sleep or shut down, now it can sleep in 2 seconds and shutdown in 5 seconds, wake in 2 seconds and boot in 4 seconds. Needless to say I'm sufficiently impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Overheal wrote: »
    i put it on the same ultrabook I had been having issues with and it runs like brand new. Under the 8.1 OEM I had it took 5 minutes to sleep or shut down, now it can sleep in 2 seconds and shutdown in 5 seconds, wake in 2 seconds and boot in 4 seconds. Needless to say I'm sufficiently impressed.

Really, I will have to try it out so. I have a laptop on 8.1 that I don't use as it's so slow. I just put it down to old age.

Also I know I'm a bit late on the Windows 8.1 discussion. I read the first few pages, I'm on 8.1 on my desktop and I like it. I know it was a big change at first but once you use it, it ain't so bad. I actually like the tiles.

Next Windows 10 event: Jan 21st 2015

This one is official and will be live streamed by MS

More about the Windows vision, apparantly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭mightyreds

really i am having the exact same issues dual booting linux and it runs like a dream move to windows and its taking an age to shutdown and startup, when is 10 out i think i'll be moving

mightyreds wrote: »
    when is 10 out i think i'll be moving

10 has been out nearly 3 months - and it's free :)

Take a backup of your 8.1 in case you want to move back and then just upgrade to 10. See if it solves your issues.

10 has been out nearly 3 months - and it's free :)

Take a backup of your 8.1 in case you want to move back and then just upgrade to 10. See if it solves your issues.

10 is not out, it's in Technical Preview...

Yes we all know that...

I've been running it on my main PC since the release date. It's perfectly stable and has full functionality (whatever is in 8.1 plus more). Plus it is free (to upgrade to or to install from scratch). If you don't believe me / don't seem to have any balls (:p) google for other people's experiences.

Seems like a smart move for mightyreds and others who experience difficulties in Windows 8.1. If they don't like it - or worse: if Windows 10 Technical Preview expires next April and for some reason there isn't an upgrade path, he could always go back to his backup of 8.1

Yes we all know that...

I've been running it on my main PC since the release date. It's perfectly stable and has full functionality (whatever is in 8.1 plus more). Plus it is free (to upgrade to or to install from scratch). If you don't believe me / don't seem to have any balls (:p) google for other people's experiences.

Seems like a smart move for mightyreds and others who experience difficulties in Windows 8.1. If they don't like it - or worse: if Windows 10 Technical Preview expires next April and for some reason there isn't an upgrade path, he could always go back to his backup of 8.1

You've obviously never used it on a touch screen...

As for it being out and free, you're aware that it'll stop working after a certain time, i.e. long before the full version is released in Autumn 2015?

Really, I will have to try it out so. I have a laptop on 8.1 that I don't use as it's so slow. I just put it down to old age.

Also I know I'm a bit late on the Windows 8.1 discussion. I read the first few pages, I'm on 8.1 on my desktop and I like it. I know it was a big change at first but once you use it, it ain't so bad. I actually like the tiles.
    mightyreds wrote: »
    really i am having the exact same issues dual booting linux and it runs like a dream move to windows and its taking an age to shutdown and startup, when is 10 out i think i'll be moving

I think it's a Windows 8 thing, it doesn't affect a lot of hardware or a lot of configs apparently, but all I know is Windows 10 turned that laptops life around. Couldnt possibly be old age on a 1-2 yr old laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

First impressions of Win 10, don't like it prefer 8.1
    I've only being using it for a few mins but seems strange. It's not as fast as I'd hoped but it was the same as 8.1 as it is on my 9 year old laptop. It's a core 2 duo with 2 GB of RAM, both processor and RAM were updated over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I think it's a Windows 8 thing, it doesn't affect a lot of hardware or a lot of configs apparently, but all I know is Windows 10 turned that laptops life around. Couldnt possibly be old age on a 1-2 yr old laptop

Mines only 5 months old I reset it yesterday, its running fine on just windows 8 not gonna go back to 8.1, long wait for 10 but I'll be upgrading when the full version comes out

You've obviously never used it on a touch screen...

No, I haven't. 10 worse than 8.1 for touch screen? You running the latest (third) version - I believe in the second version alone addressed more than 7,000 issues
    you're aware that it'll stop working after a certain time, i.e. long before the full version is released in Autumn 2015?

See my point ;)

That's why I recommended the poster leave a path back to 8.1 just in case the current (free) version is not upgradeable before it expires.

• Advertisement

when my yoga was in tablet mode under 8/8.1 it would always stutter. games and videos were unplayable. No such issue in 10 yay

Advertisement