Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Brian2011 wrote: »
    Maybe for Windows 7, but no noticeable difference in speed between 8 and 10.

You're probably right about the actual speed of the two OS, the difference is in speed and ease of navigation although I definitely notice an improvement in boot time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭bren2002

This might have been covered already. Apologies if it has.

Just upgraded tonight. Overall it looks good. A few things that need to be changed for personal settings etc.

But does anyone know why some apps look really poor. Notably picassa has very poor font definition and lacks sharpness. Backblaze is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Anyone having problem with Adobe flash player in both IE and Edge? It keeps crashing after couple of minutes with a message like Internet Explorer has stopped working.

I know flash player is not secure and all but I do need it. Tried everything including reset of browser. Cant figure out what's wrong.

Still having wifi issues even after installing the previous drivers.

Not going to upgrade the other laptop from Windows 7 any time soon. Cant really see what I can do better in Win 10 and not in Win 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

bren2002 wrote: »
    This might have been covered already. Apologies if it has.

Just upgraded tonight. Overall it looks good. A few things that need to be changed for personal settings etc.

But does anyone know why some apps look really poor. Notably picassa has very poor font definition and lacks sharpness. Backblaze is the same.

Update your display drivers, tune cleartype... etc. That will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sheinsweets

I got the free download at the weekend and it looked very fancy with a easy enough UI, but after a few hours things weren't going to well, back to Windows 7 for the being , hoo hum...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Brian2011

I got the free download at the weekend and it looked very fancy with a easy enough UI, but after a few hours things weren't going to well, back to Windows 7 for the being , hoo hum...

I know, a huge disappointment, Windows 7 and 8.1 are better than it.

upgraded from win 7 - find windows 10 a nicer and cleaner interface. the edge browser is pretty nice - preferring it to chrome actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

This is one of the reasons I switched back, Picasa looks terrible, couldn't find anything to improve it,

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Happens on Win8.1 too. Tends to happen on high DPI displays. My dad's Lenovo Flex 2 14" does the same thing.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2900023
    Not sure if you can solve it using the knowledgebase article for Win8.1 above.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This is one of the reasons I switched back, Picasa looks terrible, couldn't find anything to improve it,

Set scaling to 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Thanks but that was one of the first things I tried

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Would appreciate any advice on the following:

Laptop is an Alienware M14x. Upgraded last week to Windows 10 Home from Win 7 Home. Downloaded it at home and brought the laptop in to work to install. Installed fine and seemed to work ok for a while (limited enough use in work). Brought it home and since then it's been crashing with the following error codes:

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and
    something along the lines of "attempted execute of no execute memory" (not sure exact wording).

The only difference between home and work is that it'd be connected to the internet. Other problems seem to be that it won't remember my changes in relation to, for example, closing the lid - have to reboot completely rather than it going to sleep and preserving any pages/apps I have open. Other choices such as 'remember my choice' checkboxes don't register.

I'd appreciate any replies in layman's terms if at all possible :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Would appreciate any advice on the following:

Laptop is an Alienware M14x. Upgraded last week to Windows 10 Home from Win 7 Home. Downloaded it at home and brought the laptop in to work to install. Installed fine and seemed to work ok for a while (limited enough use in work). Brought it home and since then it's been crashing with the following error codes:

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and
    something along the lines of "attempted execute of no execute memory" (not sure exact wording).

The only difference between home and work is that it'd be connected to the internet. Other problems seem to be that it won't remember my changes in relation to, for example, closing the lid - have to reboot completely rather than it going to sleep and preserving any pages/apps I have open. Other choices such as 'remember my choice' checkboxes don't register.

I'd appreciate any replies in layman's terms if at all possible :pac:

Funky drivers. There's quite a difference between Win7 and Win10 less so with Win 8 to Win10. Update all your drivers.

Funky drivers. There's quite a difference between Win7 and Win10 less so with Win 8 to Win10. Update all your drivers.

Cheers. I've checked for the latest updates a few times (via settings panel and control panel) and all seems to be in order. Have had a more tech-savvy mate look at it too and he reckoned what I had looked ok.

Is there a way to check that my drivers are up to date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Cheers. I've checked for the latest updates a few times (via settings panel and control panel) and all seems to be in order. Have had a more tech-savvy mate look at it too and he reckoned what I had looked ok.

Is there a way to check that my drivers are up to date?

Just go hunting for the latest ones manually. There are also some third party apps I found useful for my laptop, I forget the name. There's a freeware and payware version.

You have to bear in mind some things may simply be incompatible.

Sounds like it might be the network card if it's only happening on net connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

The only difference between home and work is that it'd be connected to the internet.

As MarkAnthony said, you probably need updated drivers, and Win10 would probably be doing that in the background if it could connect to the internet.

If you only have internet access at work, go to the support site for you laptop, and download the latest drivers for your particular model - get the Win8.x versions if they don't have Win10 drivers listed. Bring them home on a flash drive and install them.

If you have a Dell, make a note of the Service Tag or Express Service Code - it should help you get a list of the most relevant drivers for your laptop on the Dell site.

You have to bear in mind some things may simply be incompatible.

Sounds like it might be the network card if it's only happening on net connections.

I was thinking that some of the stuff on it might be incompatible since there are a few things on it you wouldn't find on a 'normal' Dell laptop - i.e. Killer Network Manager (to my knowledge anyway, they could be on others). This has been popping up too in the last while (just prior to upgrade to Win10) seeking to check bandwith, but when I go to do it, it fails.
    Bayberry wrote: »
    As MarkAnthony said, you probably need updated drivers, and Win10 would probably be doing that in the background if it could connect to the internet.

If you only have internet access at work, go to the support site for you laptop, and download the latest drivers for your particular model - get the Win8.x versions if they don't have Win10 drivers listed. Bring them home on a flash drive and install them.

If you have a Dell, make a note of the Service Tag or Express Service Code - it should help you get a list of the most relevant drivers for your laptop on the Dell site.

Thanks to you both, I'll have a go at updating the drivers and see what comes of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭mossie

My brother just purchased a new acer laptop. When I try to update it to windows 10 I get asked for the product key but there is no sticker anywhere on the laptop or documentation from which i can get the key. Any idea of how I can proceed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

download magic jelly bean it will pull up keys on it.

mossie wrote: »
    My brother just purchased a new acer laptop. When I try to update it to windows 10 I get asked for the product key but there is no sticker anywhere on the laptop or documentation from which i can get the key. Any idea of how I can proceed?
    Had he logged into the laptop and activated Windows 8 before you tried to do the upgrade?

Or did you try to do a clean install without upgrading in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

First service release is out now, about 300 Mb in size.

Had he logged into the laptop and activated Windows 8 before you tried to do the upgrade?

Or did you try to do a clean install without upgrading in the first place?

It's activated alright. I ran jelly bean key finder and it returns a CD key but when I enter this it won't work.

CatInABox wrote: »
    First service release is out now, about 300 Mb in size.

That didn't take long!

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/kb/3081424
    Cumulative Update for Windows 10: August 5, 2014
    Summary
    This update includes non–security-related changes to enhance the functionality of Windows 10 through new features and improvements.

Windows 10 updates are cumulative. Therefore, this package contains all previously-released fixes (see KB 3074683). If you have installed previous updates, only the new fixes that are contained in this package will be downloaded and installed to your computer.
    The KB Article doesn't say what has changed, but it lists thousands of file names, even PNG files.

It's activated alright. I ran jelly bean key finder and it returns a CD key but when I enter this it won't work.
    How are you doing the upgrade? If you upgrade from within an activated copy of Windows, you shouldn't be prompted for a key.

How are you doing the upgrade? If you upgrade from within an activated copy of Windows, you shouldn't be prompted for a key.

trying to do it from DVD, downloaded the ISO, maybe I should wait until it downloads itself

trying to do it from DVD, downloaded the ISO, maybe I should wait until it downloads itself
    Don't boot off the DVD. Boot into WIn8, brink up the DVD in File Explororer, and run SETUP.EXE

For those who haven't done this yet, don't waste your time downloading the ISO and making a DVD, unless you have a bunch of machines to upgrade. Just download and run the Media Creation Tool, and do the upgrade directly from that tool.

Don't boot off the DVD. Boot into WIn8, brink up the DVD in File Explororer, and run SETUP.EXE

For those who haven't done this yet, don't waste your time downloading the ISO and making a DVD, unless you have a bunch of machines to upgrade. Just download and run the Media Creation Tool, and do the upgrade directly from that tool.

I'm not booting from the DVD, running it from explorer as you said.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

THis may be the wrong place to ask, but I went to look at upgrading my WIn 8.1 to 10 today

The windows upgrade tool tells me my O/s does not qualify, it's windows 8.1 and was purchased as part of a Dell Inspiron laptop package, it was the default os that came with it.

The one weird thing I noticed is that the licence key is only 20 and not 25 digits long

Is it possibly not eligible for an upgrade as it came via dell and has a bizarre licence key? And why is the licence key only 20 digits long?

It's been activated etc.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭long_b

Stheno wrote: »
    THis may be the wrong place to ask, but I went to look at upgrading my WIn 8.1 to 10 today

The windows upgrade tool tells me my O/s does not qualify, it's windows 8.1 and was purchased as part of a Dell Inspiron laptop package, it was the default os that came with it.

The one weird thing I noticed is that the licence key is only 20 and not 25 digits long

Is it possibly not eligible for an upgrade as it came via dell and has a bizarre licence key? And why is the licence key only 20 digits long?

It's been activated etc.

TIA

You sure you're not looking at the Product ID instead of the Product Key?
    Regardless it should be eligible.

• Advertisement

I'm not booting from the DVD, running it from explorer as you said.
    Beats me, it shouldn't be prompting you for a license key to do an upgrade.

Advertisement