Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭mossie

Bayberry wrote: »
    Beats me, it shouldn't be prompting you for a license key to do an upgrade.

Yeah i didn't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭mrtom

mossie wrote: »
    Yeah i didn't think so.

I’ve gotten multiple reports from readers that Windows 10 does not, in fact, activate:
    https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/4940/windows-10-tip-successfully-clean-install-windows-10

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

mrtom wrote: »
    I’ve gotten multiple reports from readers that Windows 10 does not, in fact, activate:
    https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/4940/windows-10-tip-successfully-clean-install-windows-10
    After trying to do a "clean install", not an upgrade. Mossie says that he's trying to do an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Yeah i didn't think so.

Have you got a USB handy? Download the media creation tool then access setup.exe via file explorer and follow the prompts.

mrtom wrote: »

There is one interesting point in that article about creating a DVD on one machine to do the update on another.
    Select language, architecture, and edition. Here, you will select your language (e.g. English [United States]), edition (Windows 10 Pro perhaps), and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit) as determined by the needs of your PC. Choose option two and three correctly, or Windows 10 will not activate.
    So when you make installation media, if you select Windows 10 Pro x64, and then try to use that disk to upgrade a machine running Win8 Home, x86, it won't work properly.

I haven't seen that point made before, but it sounds like it's worth checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭blackbox

Just installed Windows 10 on a little Asus netbook (Eee PC) that came with Windows 7 Starter. I had received the notification that said it was ready. Installation took quite a while (I left it going when I went to bed).

It seems to be running perfectly except I keep getting an error message "Missing Asus ACPI Driver", which is irritating. No solution on MS website yet. When I try to update driver it says I have best version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

That didn't take long!

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/kb/3081424
    Cumulative Update for Windows 10: August 5, 2014

The KB Article doesn't say what has changed, but it lists thousands of file names, even PNG files.

Thanks, got the update. I really hope it fixes my wifi and IE crashing due to flash every 2 minutes. It's doing my head in. :mad:

Flash.ocx is listed as one of the files.

blackbox wrote: »
    Just installed Windows 10 on a little Asus netbook (Eee PC) that came with Windows 7 Starter. I had received the notification that said it was ready. Installation took quite a while (I left it going when I went to bed).

It seems to be running perfectly except I keep getting an error message "Missing Asus ACPI Driver", which is irritating. No solution on MS website yet. When I try to update driver it says I have best version.

Check Device Manager for any unknown device. Install driver for that, you will probably get that from Asus site.

I suppose you havent taken diver backup before upgrade??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭mossie

After trying to do a "clean install", not an upgrade. Mossie says that he's trying to do an upgrade.

I've been able to get it to install by using the media creation tool instead of installing from DVD

I've been able to get it to install by using the media creation tool instead of installing from DVD

Excellent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Glad you're sorted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Going to try upgrading an 8.1 64 bit system here, once photos and docs are backed up.

It asked me to reserve, so I put my email address and I received their email. Will it now prompt me to upgrade? Or can I jump into the media creation tool? I've my DVD for 8, not sure if it's Home or Pro. Presume Home. The packaging says Win 8 64 bit EN.

ETA - it says the download is in progress.

It asked me to reserve, so I put my email address and I received their email. Will it now prompt me to upgrade? Or can I jump into the media creation tool?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows/windows-10-faq
    When will I get my free upgrade?

If you reserved your free upgrade, it’s on the way. You’re part of the largest software upgrade event ever and we’re managing it so everyone has a great experience. Your notification to upgrade could come as soon as a few days or weeks. And you can always check your upgrade status in the Get Windows 10 app. Or, if you’re a tech-savvy user, you can use the Media Creation Tool to install immediately on one or more devices.

I've my DVD for 8, not sure if it's Home or Pro. Presume Home. The packaging says Win 9 64 bit EN.
    Open File Explorer and right-click on My Computer, and select Properties. You'll see the information about your Windows version displayed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

That's where I was looking, it didn't say Home or Pro, though.

Windows update said it was downloading Windows 10. Restarted as required, it configured whilst restarting and it's back into check for updates.

Update failed...

That's where I was looking, it didn't say Home or Pro, though.
    I don't think there was a Win8 Home - just Win8 and Win8 Pro.
    Windows update said it was downloading Windows 10. Restarted as required, it configured whilst restarting and it's back into check for updates.

Update failed...
    I'm confused by this. Did it restart in Windows 10, and then fail to install later updates, or did it fail to update to Win8 and roll back to Win8?

No, I'm still in 8.1. It's trying to check for 10 via Windows Updates again, after failing. I presume if it finds the file the 10 installation process will kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Brasso

blackbox wrote: »

Also had this problem on eeePC after upgrading, noticed it went away after doing a clean install. The Asus hotkey service was causing it, you can uninstall it from programs and features in the control panel like any other program. It might also be listed as KBfilter.

Are the volume shortcut keys working for you? Mine aren't functioning with or without the hotkey service installed, but the screen brightness up and down seem to have native support in Win10.

Installed now, smooth. Just running Windows Updates and will start having a look around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Same here - just installed - running smooth .

All activity back in left-hand bottom corner once again

Looks like I am going back to Windows 7. Really wanted this to work but its just not working, wifi, IE and Edge crash doing my head in. Will give another few days then goodbye.... :(

On the plus side, I have a Win 10 license now. So in future I may try it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Looks like I am going back to Windows 7. Really wanted this to work but its just not working, wifi, IE and Edge crash doing my head in. Will give another few days then goodbye.... :(

On the plus side, I have a Win 10 license now. So in future I may try it again.
    Did you upgrade or clean install? I had issues after upgrading, did a clean install, and haven't had an issue since!

Meesared wrote: »
    Did you upgrade or clean install? I had issues after upgrading, did a clean install, and haven't had an issue since!

First upgraded and then did a clean install. There's nothing old left that can cause these issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Anyone getting scaling issues when going fullscreen in a Steam game? Desktop is scaled fine but games seem to be about 10 per cent or so too big. AMD card 7800 HD, CCC seems to do nothing with scaling up checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

For my own $.02.

I've upgraded my main PC, a fair amount of existing software since it's an old(ish) installation of 8.1 and the installation itself went fine, took about 40 mins.

Overall I think I'll keep it on here but there's nothing critical about installing it right now other than simply getting it done.

Pros:
    - The Task View, and it also kicking in when you side dock windows. Simple but quite effective.
    - The hybrid start menu, a bit nicer than classic shell imho.
    - Almost everything seems to work with no personalisation lost. 40 mins later I was staring at a Win 10 installation with everything else as it was before the process. (I'll see how this is for a week or so, then if I choose to keep it will do a clean install).

Cons:
    - Privacy. Even after disabling Cortana and every phone-home service I could find it seems it still tries to send search strings to MS. I had to manually block SearchUI.exe ("Search and Cortana Application") from internet access via my host security software.
    - Onedrive reset. Now to be fair I use nCryptedCloud in front of it so that probably didn't help. But Onedrive lost it's local drive/folder setting and when pointed to it again it removed everything (thankfully it's only a backup drive so nothing critical lost).
    - Kaspersky install was corrupted, had to reinstall the latest version and it works but with some limitations (of which they are aware). Also Windows defender keeps turning itself back on instead of yielding to KTS.
    - For my Asus U7 the Dolby HT GUI is gone, it's own control panel has very little effect (some settings work, others not, and the volume meters don't work). Since sound is a biggy for me this is not good but my old Dolby profile does seem to kick in when I enabled that mode from the Asus control panel so I guess it's stored in hardware on the card...I just can't modify it :rolleyes:
    - Some system setting applets are quite slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

lads i have an activated version of 8.1 installed using a legit key, however i cant seem to find the key....... will i need it if i decide to upgrade to 10?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

lads i have an activated version of 8.1 installed using a legit key, however i cant seem to find the key....... will i need it if i decide to upgrade to 10?

thanks

I used some free software, belaric, to decipher the key, then when I downloaded windows 10 it didn't ask for it. I used the creation tool by the way. Windows 10 working perfectly apart from cortana because of the region / language issues.
    I'm not really worried about that anyway I like the peace and quiet!

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    I used some free software, belaric, to decipher the key, then when I downloaded windows 10 it didn't ask for it. I used the creation tool by the way. Windows 10 working perfectly apart from cortana because of the region / language issues.
    I'm not really worried about that anyway I like the peace and quiet!

ok cool ,i used one of those key decipher things too but just in case its not the right one ,so you were never asked for the key going from 8.1 to 10?

what about if i wanted to do a fresh install of ten after i upgrade?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ok cool ,i used one of those key decipher things too but just in case its not the right one ,so you were never asked for the key going from 8.1 to 10?

what about if i wanted to do a fresh install of ten after i upgrade?

Once you do the upgrade, sign into your Microsoft account on the computer. If you do a clean install on the computer it will activate once you sign in with the Microsoft account again. I've done this on a tablet and laptop and the clean install activated fine.

thanks

if you do the upgrade option you don't need a key. you only need a key if you're doing a clean install (where it wipes your hd completely). if you upgrade to win 10 and want to do a clean install you can use jellybean key finder to get win 10 key which you would enter for a clean install.

• Advertisement

good stuff ,thanks lads

Advertisement