Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Bayberry wrote: »
    The error code indicates that the key has been blocked by the activation servers - but that probably indicates a problem with the key that you had before upgrading, rather than with the Windows 10 key itself.

Did you upgrade from Win7 or from Win8?

I think I'd be inclined to roll back the upgrade if I was in your shoes, and make sure that everything is working properly there before trying to upgrade again.

Edit - some further searching indicates some people have had success by manually running the activation script - click on the Start buttom and type slmgr.vbs /ato
    I also got that error, after attempting to install Windows 10 Home rather than Windows 10 Home N (which my key is for) because I selected the wrong version in the media downloader

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Meesared wrote: »
    I also got that error, after attempting to install Windows 10 Home rather than Windows 10 Home N (which my key is for) because I selected the wrong version in the media downloader

That's a good point - if you create a bootable disk or USB drive with the Media Creation Tool, and use that to do the upgrade, you need to be careful to match versions. If you just run the tool and select "Upgrade this PC", you shouldn't encounter this problem, because it will pick the right version for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Bayberry wrote:

Thanks for the info. I'll try that layer and see what happens.

I upgraded from Windows 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Windows 10 God mode is a pretty nifty hidden settings screen.

http://www.eteknix.com/unlock-windows-10-god-mode/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

That's been around since Win 7 (possibly vista). Dunno if it's quite the same code but it works the same way. Probably more useful in Win 10 since they seem to hide settings more than they used to in Win 7.

Also, you can name the folder anything at all, not just GodMode provided everything after the dot is the same. (edit, they explain this in the link that I did not read before commenting :pac:)

• Advertisement

The error code indicates that the key has been blocked by the activation servers - but that probably indicates a problem with the key that you had before upgrading, rather than with the Windows 10 key itself.

I think I'd be inclined to roll back the upgrade if I was in your shoes, and make sure that everything is working properly there before trying to upgrade again.

Edit - some further searching indicates some people have had success by manually running the activation script - click on the Start buttom and type slmgr.vbs /ato

So I ran the command and this pops up. It just says my product key is blocked. Any thoughts? Should I just roll back to windows 8 and try again?

What do you mean by everything working properly before trying the upgrade again? Anything specific I should check?

Thanks for your help. It's very much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

What version of 8 did you have? And what version of 10 are you trying to install?

Meesared wrote: »
    What version of 8 did you have? And what version of 10 are you trying to install?

I had Windows 8.1 (guessing it was home, it came with my dell laptop) and have upgraded to Windows 10 Home

Beekay wrote: »
    So I ran the command and this pops up. It just says my product key is blocked. Any thoughts? Should I just roll back to windows 8 and try again?

What do you mean by everything working properly before trying the upgrade again? Anything specific I should check?

Thanks for your help. It's very much appreciated!

What make and model of laptop do you have? Did you buy it brand new or refurbished/second hand? If you look at the System properties page (Windows key + Pause, or right click on "This PC" as select Properties) does it show the manufacturers logo?

Some people have tried to do the upgrade by creating Win10 boot media on DVD or USB, and some of them have had activation problems, because they tried to upgrade to a version of Win10 that didn't exactly match the version of Win8 that was already there, but you said that you did the upgrade directly from the Get Windows 10 icon, so there shouldn't be a version conflict in this case.

Somehow, the Windows Activation server has decided that there is an issue with the key that is being used, and I'm assuming that the problem is with the Win8 key. If the laptop shipped with Windows 8, and was running the original version of Win8, that shouldn't be a problem. Worst case, you should be able to restore back to Win8 (that might mean a complete restore, so back up your programs and data), verify that everything activates properly and upgrade again. But I'd definitely contact the support line for the laptop first.

If the Win8 install wasn't shipped with the laptop, you might have a bigger problem, as the key used to install it has been flagged, so rolling back might leave you with a Win8 install that can't be activated either.

Beekay wrote: »
    I had Windows 8.1 (guessing it was home, it came with my dell laptop) and have upgraded to Windows 10 Home
    What make and model of laptop do you have? Did you buy it brand new or refurbished/second hand? If you look at the System properties page (Windows key + Pause, or right click on "This PC" as select Properties) does it show the manufacturers logo?

Oops, I didn't see your post about Dell.

If you bought the laptop directly from Dell with Win8 installed, I think you should contact Dell support, because if there's a problem with a Dell key being blocked, they would be in the best position to deal with it.

• Advertisement

Some people have tried to do the upgrade by creating Win10 boot media on DVD or USB, and some of them have had activation problems, because they tried to upgrade to a version of Win10 that didn't exactly match the version of Win8 that was already there, but you said that you did the upgrade directly from the Get Windows 10 icon, so there shouldn't be a version conflict in this case.

Somehow, the Windows Activation server has decided that there is an issue with the key that is being used, and I'm assuming that the problem is with the Win8 key. If the laptop shipped with Windows 8, and was running the original version of Win8, that shouldn't be a problem. Worst case, you should be able to restore back to Win8 (that might mean a complete restore, so back up your programs and data), verify that everything activates properly and upgrade again. But I'd definitely contact the support line for the laptop first.

If the Win8 install wasn't shipped with the laptop, you might have a bigger problem, as the key used to install it has been flagged, so rolling back might leave you with a Win8 install that can't be activated either.

Yes it shows the manufacturers logo.

Was a brand new laptop shipped with windows 8.

Edit:

I thought i'd hop onto Windows chat Support abd they came back with this reply.
    Activation servers are being overwhelmed at the moment because of the volume of upgrades, so give it some time if you get an error message such as (0XC004E003, ,0x8007000D, 0x8007232b or 0x8007007B) Windows 10 will eventually activate as long as you upgrade using the appropriate method.

So maybe I should just give it time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

in W10 , my photos are opening in a programme I don't recognise - How can I change to automatically open in MS Photo editor ?

in W10 , my photos are opening in a programme I don't recognise - How can I change to automatically open in MS Photo editor ?

There's a couple of ways to do this. Click on Start and type Default. The "Default App settings" will bring you back to the screen that you skipped over during the upgrade that set the new Windows 10 apps. You may be able to select MS Photo Editor as the default handler for Photos in there.

Alternatively, the "Default Programs" app, will allow you to assign programs to file types, and file types to programs.

Or there's the classic method, that has worked since Windows XP (and probably W9x as well).

Right-click on one of your photos, select "Open With". Click on "Choose another app" and then check the "Aleways use this app" box before selecting the program that you want to use.

Note that this only applies to a specific file type - .png or .jpg etc, you'd have to do it for each one

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You could spam the activate button. That worked for me when I upgraded my laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Hi guys, don't have time to read the full thread but is the upgrade free for life and is it the full version of windows 10? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

.E_C_K_S. wrote: »
    Hi guys, don't have time to read the full thread but is the upgrade free for life and is it the full version of windows 10? thanks

It's free to upgrade between now and July 2016 and yes it's the full version and for life.

.E_C_K_S. wrote: »

Terry Myerson, the Microsoft VP responsible for Windows, blogged about this on January 21st, the day that the Win10 launch plans were announced:
    Today was a monumental day for us on the Windows team because we shared our desire to redefine the relationship we have with you – our customers. We announced that a free upgrade for Windows 10 will be made available to customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade in the first year after launch.

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We’ll deliver new features when they’re ready, not waiting for the next major release. We think of Windows as a Service – in fact, one could reasonably think of Windows in the next couple of years as one of the largest Internet services on the planet.

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/

Hard to understand why this issue still comes up.

Not sure if this should go here or in the android forums but leaning towards here as I'm sure it's a windows configuration issue. No need for a new thread as I'm sure it's a quick simple answer.

I'm trying to access files on a windows 10 PC via an android device, using es file explorer on the phone and tablet.

I was previously able to do this in win 8.1 . Only had cause to try it on windows 10 today. I can connect to the PC and get the root Admin$ , C$ and D$ folders when I click into them I get a permissions error.

Password protected filesharing is on in WIndows network and sharing center, but so far the only way I can access the downloads and documents folders etc is to explicitly share them and add my account and grant it permissions to it. Previously I was able to connect using my windows account details and work away without having to modify shares and permissions.

I am an admin on the windows PC and as I say it previously worked as I mentioned on windows 8.1 and 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Not sure if this should go here or in the android forums but leaning towards here as I'm sure it's a windows configuration issue. No need for a new thread as I'm sure it's a quick simple answer.

I'm trying to access files on a windows 10 PC via an android device, using es file explorer on the phone and tablet.

I was previously able to do this in win 8.1 . Only had cause to try it on windows 10 today. I can connect to the PC and get the root Admin$ , C$ and D$ folders when I click into them I get a permissions error.

Password protected filesharing is on in WIndows network and sharing center, but so far the only way I can access the downloads and documents folders etc is to explicitly share them and add my account and grant it permissions to it. Previously I was able to connect using my windows account details and work away without having to modify shares and permissions.

I am an admin on the windows PC and as I say it previously worked as I mentioned on windows 8.1 and 7.

You need to add the reg key in the following link. I have tested this. I was able to recreate your exact issue and after adding the reg key and restarting the server service, it works perfectly.

http://support.adminarsenal.com/entries/20828513-Can-t-access-ADMIN-share-using-a-local-user-account

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

There's a couple of ways to do this. Click on Start and type Default. The "Default App settings" will bring you back to the screen that you skipped over during the upgrade that set the new Windows 10 apps. You may be able to select MS Photo Editor as the default handler for Photos in there.

Alternatively, the "Default Programs" app, will allow you to assign programs to file types, and file types to programs.

Or there's the classic method, that has worked since Windows XP (and probably W9x as well).

Right-click on one of your photos, select "Open With". Click on "Choose another app" and then check the "Aleways use this app" box before selecting the program that you want to use.

Note that this only applies to a specific file type - .png or .jpg etc, you'd have to do it for each one

thanks Bayberrry - that worked perfect - ( default app settings )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Not sure if this has been post,

Create a Folder on your desktop and name it GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

This will allow you to enter Godmode which gives you access to many configurable options in one spot!

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/enable-windows-10-godmode.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Yeh was posted already. I had forgotten about that from win7 days.

Never did it for win8.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

I had the windows 10 Icon but could not get it to install, kept re-starting. As the laptop was sluggish I decided to re-install Windows 7 (have original disk) and am currently doing the Windows update, will the Windows 10 Activation appear again at some point during the windows update ?? (I have SP 1 installed) or do I need to do something else ??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

We just bought Two laptops that shipped with windows 8. I know right lol. But there was like nearly 400 updates to do and the laptops just weren't doing it. So if you type into Google windows 10 media creation tool. You can download 10 directly without waiting for updates or the symbol its the quickest option. Both upgraded successfully to 10 home. Process took about 2hrs and about a day or so after for all the updates to restart

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Jhcx wrote: »
    We just bought Two laptops that shipped with windows 8. I know right lol. But there was like nearly 400 updates to do and the laptops just weren't doing it. So if you type into Google windows 10 media creation tool. You can download 10 directly without waiting for updates or the symbol its the quickest option. Both upgraded successfully to 10 home. Process took about 2hrs and about a day or so after for all the updates to restart

Is Windows activated on the 2 laptops now?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

Thanks Jhcx,
    Will give it a shot !:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Is Windows activated on the 2 laptops now?

Yes both are installed using the old win 8 key.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Yes both are installed using the old win 8 key.

I get that but under Settings>Update & Security> Activation. Are both saying activated?

I'm just curious is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Anyone else's zoom/scroll not working since update?

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    Anyone else's zoom/scroll not working since update?
    I have a basic Asus laptop. After the update to Win10, I couldn't use the 2-fingered drag on the trackpad to scroll pages up and down. I downloaded the latest version of SmartGesture from the Asus website, and everything worked after I installed it (I had to manually uninstall the current version first, but I didn't test to see if scrolling worked before I installed the latest version).

The following day, Windows Update delivered an updated Touchpad driver. (ELANtech). At that point I decided to uninstall SmartGesture, as I had found out that Windows10 has built-in support for trackpad gestures. Everything kept working. A few days later, Windows Update installed a new version of SmartGesture.

The only issue that I had with each of these changes is that I am used to using trackpad scrolling by pulling downwards to get to the bottom of the page (I pull down, the page scrolls up). After each of these updates, the scroll direction changed - when I pulled down, the page pulled down, so I was getting to the top of the page. I had to pick around in SmartGesture or the ElanTech properties to change this setting each time. A very minor hassle, and I'd probably have gotten used to the default action after a day or two - both methods have a certain logic to them).

Advertisement