Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Bayberry wrote: »
    I have a basic Asus laptop. After the update to Win10, I couldn't use the 2-fingered drag on the trackpad to scroll pages up and down. I downloaded the latest version of SmartGesture from the Asus website, and everything worked after I installed it (I had to manually uninstall the current version first, but I didn't test to see if scrolling worked before I installed the latest version).

The following day, Windows Update delivered an updated Touchpad driver. (ELANtech). At that point I decided to uninstall SmartGesture, as I had found out that Windows10 has built-in support for trackpad gestures. Everything kept working. A few days later, Windows Update installed a new version of SmartGesture.

The only issue that I had with each of these changes is that I am used to using trackpad scrolling by pulling downwards to get to the bottom of the page (I pull down, the page scrolls up). After each of these updates, the scroll direction changed - when I pulled down, the page pulled down, so I was getting to the top of the page. I had to pick around in SmartGesture or the ElanTech properties to change this setting each time. A very minor hassle, and I'd probably have gotten used to the default action after a day or two - both methods have a certain logic to them).

It's an Asus I have as well and I got the touchpad update.
    Before the update I had a flashing blue circle by the cursor.
    I don't know if I had the pinch/zoom and scroll issue before the update though.
    I could have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

blade1 wrote: »
    It's an Asus I have as well and I got the touchpad update.
    Before the update I had a flashing blue circle by the cursor.
    I don't know if I had the pinch/zoom and scroll issue before the update though.
    I could have had.

In the Programs and Features control panel, I see that I have Asus Smart Gesture version 4.05 (installed on the 9th) and ELAN Touchpad 15.8.4.3_X64_WHQL (installed n the 3rd).

When the Touchpad driver was installed on the 3rd, I went to "Mouse & Touchpad" settings, selected "Additional Mouse options", and there was a new panel there, with a red ELAN logo, where I was able to change the scroll direction.

After Windows update installed the Smart Gesture app, that Elan panel is still displayed on the Mouse properties, but I can't make any changes to it. I had to open the Smart Gesture panel, but double-clicking on the little trackpad icon in the "Show hidden icons" panel. I can't remember whether pinch-to-zoom was checked when I checked the "Content moves reversely with your finger's" box.

Yes, it really does say "Content moves reversely with your finger's". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Bayberry wrote: »
    In the Programs and Features control panel, I see that I have Asus Smart Gesture version 4.05 (installed on the 9th) and ELAN Touchpad 15.8.4.3_X64_WHQL (installed n the 3rd).

When the Touchpad driver was installed on the 3rd, I went to "Mouse & Touchpad" settings, selected "Additional Mouse options", and there was a new panel there, with a red ELAN logo, where I was able to change the scroll direction.

After Windows update installed the Smart Gesture app, that Elan panel is still displayed on the Mouse properties, but I can't make any changes to it. I had to open the Smart Gesture panel, but double-clicking on the little trackpad icon in the "Show hidden icons" panel. I can't remember whether pinch-to-zoom was checked when I checked the "Content moves reversely with your finger's" box.

Yes, it really does say "Content moves reversely with your finger's". :)

Ok, that info is a help to me, I'll check it out later, thanks very much!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hmm, it doesn't seem to want to close programs, at times. I had Edge open to update CCleaner...now it won't close. 'Do you want to close all tabs?' All I'm getting is the chime sound. Same with Alt + F4. It didn't want to run the CCleaner download and gave an error after a few minutes...cursor and spinning circle.

How do I get rid of ENG/the language option in the system tray? That's where I first discovered the not closing issue. It brings up the relevant option from the Settings - Time and Language, but even getting out of that isn't working - back to the chime sound...Alt + F4 works there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

To get rid of the ENG in the taskbar you have to remove all languages apart from the one you want to use. So just keep English (Ireland) I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I open language preferences and it chimes no matter what I click on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Anybody in a position to clarify if SKY GO works on internet explorer?

Originally posted by seligehgit
    Big nuisance factor but I can't use SKY GO on my laptop which has Windows 10 as an operating system?Any chance this difficulty will be sorted soon?

Hi seligehgit,

Thanks for your post.

I have looked into this for you and at the moment Sky Go is not compatible with the default browser (Edge) on Windows 10.

However, if you open Sky Go using Internet Explorer there should be no service issues.

Thanks,
    William

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

seligehgit wrote: »
    Anybody in a position to clarify if SKY GO works on internet explorer?

Originally posted by seligehgit
    Big nuisance factor but I can't use SKY GO on my laptop which has Windows 10 as an operating system?Any chance this difficulty will be sorted soon?

Hi seligehgit,

Thanks for your post.

I have looked into this for you and at the moment Sky Go is not compatible with the default browser (Edge) on Windows 10.

However, if you open Sky Go using Internet Explorer there should be no service issues.

Thanks,
    William

Sky Go is a bit unstable at the best of times but as IE is unchanged it should work fine in 10 if you have Silverlight installed. I tested it previously and it was OK.

Time-saving Tip: Right-click on the Desktop and create a New Shortcut with the Target/Location as:
    [B]"C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" [url]http://go.sky.com[/url][/B]

This will force it to open up in IE by default rather than Edge or any other browser :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Thanks very much Kaiser.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Anyone planning on making the jump from 7 to 10?
    Just did last night. I went from Windows 7 Basic to 10 on my old netbook with tiny capacity Intel Atom. It was free, but took 4 hours. It seemed to install without problems, other than taking forever, but now I frequently have a problem with start-up. It crashes sometimes, and completely shuts down, turning off netbook power. I have to push the power button to begin again, then it loads fine. Once 10 is running, I've noticed that it's both more complex to navigate than 7, and slower.

I also have a relatively new laptop with lots of CPU and GPU capacities, SSD, plus 32 gigs RAM, unlike my tiny old netbook. It runs on 8, but I am now very reluctant to move to 10, given the start up problems and slower navigation speeds found with the netbook. Although my two rigs are very different, my 8 laptop is very fast and problem free now, so why move from 8 to 10?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

Hoping someone can help me. I upgraded to windows 10 last week, every is fine except one frustrating problem. When i put my laptop into sleep mode it goes asleep. But before the upgrade i touched the mousepad or indeed any button and it woke up. Now it wont wake at all even though the light in the power button is on. I have to keep holding the power button to completely turn the laptop off and then reboot it, its doing my head in. I went into settings and played around with all the power and sleep settings with no success. Anyone any ideas. Its a 6 month old hp laptop and i never had this problem before the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭circadian

Does it have an SSD or some sort of solid state cache?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Hoping someone can help me. I upgraded to windows 10 last week, every is fine except one frustrating problem. When i put my laptop into sleep mode it goes asleep. But before the upgrade i touched the mousepad or indeed any button and it woke up. Now it wont wake at all even though the light in the power button is on. I have to keep holding the power button to completely turn the laptop off and then reboot it, its doing my head in. I went into settings and played around with all the power and sleep settings with no success. Anyone any ideas. Its a 6 month old hp laptop and i never had this problem before the upgrade.

This problem has been discussed in detail on tenforums and there is a workaround which seems to work.

I wanted to something in command prompt yesterday, forgot to run as administrator. Tried to open the prompt again, but it wouldn't budge. Eventually, it gave an error. Trouble is, the errors seem to stall everything else. Logging out of the user or restarting slows right down.

Couldn't open Task Manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

Hoagy wrote: »
    This problem has been discussed in detail on tenforums and there is a workaround which seems to work.

thanks for that link, seems to be a widespread problem.hopefully Microsoft have a fix for this.it is so frustrating having to reboot everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I get that but under Settings>Update & Security> Activation. Are both saying activated?

I'm just curious is all.

Yes both are activated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Had an interesting issue with my movie PC last night (a mini-itx with basic specs but a midline CPU (dual core 3Ghz i5)). The system was crawling with about 10 different system processes chewing up CPU and memory. The worst was 'Runtime Broker'. Did a little digging and one of it's functions is the Windows Update sharing service. I had it set to Lan only on my other PCs but had forgotten on this one so I was basically sharing to the interwebz at a ridiculous cost to system resources.
    Just FYI, one more thing to check when ye olde PC starts slowing down out of the blue.

Settings / Update & Security / Windows Update / Advanced Options / Choose how updates are delivered / ( Either turn it off or set to Local Network only ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    Had an interesting issue with my movie PC last night (a mini-itx with basic specs but a midline CPU (dual core 3Ghz i5)). The system was crawling with about 10 different system processes chewing up CPU and memory. The worst was 'Runtime Broker'. Did a little digging and one of it's functions is the Windows Update sharing service. I had it set to Lan only on my other PCs but had forgotten on this one so I was basically sharing to the interwebz at a ridiculous cost to system resources.
    Just FYI, one more thing to check when ye olde PC starts slowing down out of the blue.

Settings / Update & Security / Windows Update / Advanced Options / Choose how updates are delivered / ( Either turn it off or set to Local Network only ).

Thanks for this, had same problem and hoping this will fix it. Hard drive running at 100% almost all the time and delays switching applications etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I moved over from win 7 to 10 recently, and I only had one problem with me mouse.The buttons worked, but the touchpad didn't.I had to roll back to the previous driver version, and it worked.I then tried to upgrade back to the new version but this time it did work this time :confused:.

Another issue I have but I don't know if its related or not to the upgrade, but if I am listening to a podcast on a player, and I have another tab opened, when I am working on it, when the pages are refreshing, it interrupts the podcast and it breaks it up, annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Shred

Not one, but two of my HDs were fecked. I ordered a Samsung Evo 850 250GB, lobbed it in, did another clean install and all is good with the world once again. Sweet jebus, there really is a phenomenal performance increase though; Steam game loads are almost instantaneous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Shred wrote: »
    Not one, but two of my HDs were fecked. I ordered a Samsung Evo 850 250GB, lobbed it in, did another clean install and all is good with the world once again. Sweet jebus, there really is a phenomenal performance increase though; Steam game loads are almost instantaneous!

Welcome to the present!

irishmover wrote: »
    Welcome to the present!

Lol! Nice avatar btw ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

A family member forwarded this article on to me yesterday. For some, I am sure it will be an excuse to raise pitchforks at Microsoft and how they go at operating things.

From a personal note, it will be interesting to see if this is something they choose to act on. It is one thing to put it into the user agreements, perhaps another to actually act on it. One would think that the company would have a longer memory span and recall what happened when they attempted to enforce draconian DRM features on the X-Box One. Including this in might be seen as 'scare tactics' for people to avoid using such software under the impression that they will be nabbed. On the other hand, haven't Microsoft, through their updates and such, included recognition software for genuine parts in the past. So is this just a variation of that (and exactly how successful were those tools?)

As I said, I think it will be interesting to see if this is acted on. Having done, in my opinion, a good job with rolling out Windows 10, something like this could be seen as a step back and give the naysayers something else to point fingers at them over. Also, it wouldn't be the first time since the announcement of Windows 10 that we saw a situation where they were inviting people with one hand, shooing them away with the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Just tried to rollback to Win 8.1 but I get an error saying that the required files are missing and rollback not available!
    I've checked and the required folders are actually present on my machine??:confused:
    Any ideas please?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

racersedge wrote: »
    A family member forwarded this article on to me yesterday. For some, I am sure it will be an excuse to raise pitchforks at Microsoft and how they go at operating things.

From a personal note, it will be interesting to see if this is something they choose to act on. It is one thing to put it into the user agreements, perhaps another to actually act on it. One would think that the company would have a longer memory span and recall what happened when they attempted to enforce draconian DRM features on the X-Box One. Including this in might be seen as 'scare tactics' for people to avoid using such software under the impression that they will be nabbed. On the other hand, haven't Microsoft, through their updates and such, included recognition software for genuine parts in the past. So is this just a variation of that (and exactly how successful were those tools?)

As I said, I think it will be interesting to see if this is acted on. Having done, in my opinion, a good job with rolling out Windows 10, something like this could be seen as a step back and give the naysayers something else to point fingers at them over. Also, it wouldn't be the first time since the announcement of Windows 10 that we saw a situation where they were inviting people with one hand, shooing them away with the other.

That's only FUD really. That's the Microsoft Services EULA, which doesn't include Windows 10, but does include services like Cortana, OneNote, and more relevantly, Xbox Live and Microsoft published games.

If they detect an altered Xbox on the Xbox Live network, then they'll ban it. There's not an equivalent service on PC.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Need a bit of help myself.

just upgraded my linx 8.Fresh install not an upgrade.

Anyway the machine won't restart.It'll shut down but if I select restart it just shuts down and I have to power up again with the power button.

Only a small thing as it's running great on w10 but it is very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

This will be useful for anyone still looking to upgrade:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/upgrade-windows-10-now-wait/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

New insider build is out, 10525.

Updated colour controls and improvements to a new memory manager function.

See here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Shred wrote: »

I am in the exact same position and I had one of those SSDs ordered.

Do you not run into licence key issues if you install to a new HDD rather than Upgrade on a current OS on existing HDD.

What is the exact process. I'd rather keep a HDD with Win 7 Pro rather than upgrading it.

• Advertisement

STB. wrote: »
    I am in the exact same position and I had one of those SSDs ordered.

Do you not run into licence key issues if you install to a new HDD rather than Upgrade on a current OS on existing HDD.

What is the exact process. I'd rather keep a HDD with Win 7 Pro rather than upgrading it.

See a previous post of mine; I'd already upgraded and clean installed before fitting the new SSD:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=96532986&postcount=1241

For you, the last two steps are relevant*:

4. Upgraded to W10, signed in with my MS account and ensured it was activated.
    5. Performed a clean install from a bootable USB, skipped the license key prompt (it prompted twice, separately) and signed in again with my MS account.

So all I needed to do was install the SSD and boot from the USB again (ignoring the license key prompts).

*Assuming your current HDD isn't completely screwed!

Advertisement