Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

installed windows 10 preview on laptop a couple of days ago, a few minor bugs here and there as expected... the one major problem i'm having is with shutdowns/restarts - restarting but screen won't turn on; shutting down turns off the screen, but not the machine! solved every time by powering down with the power button, then powering on again... this is pretty annoying if anyone has experienced the same and knows a fix, please let me know! otherwise just wait for an update that fixes it hopefully...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

manual_man wrote: »
    installed windows 10 preview on laptop a couple of days ago, a few minor bugs here and there as expected... the one major problem i'm having is with shutdowns/restarts - restarting but screen won't turn on; shutting down turns off the screen, but not the machine! solved every time by powering down with the power button, then powering on again... this is pretty annoying if anyone has experienced the same and knows a fix, please let me know! otherwise just wait for an update that fixes it hopefully...

I have none of those problems on my laptop on 32 bit and also 64 bit versions.

I have none of those problems on my laptop on 32 bit and also 64 bit versions.

32bit here. I'm wondering if I should contact someone about it, I highlighted my issue via the feedback app, but you don't get any response from that

32bit here. I'm wondering if I should contact someone about it, I highlighted my issue via the feedback app, but you don't get any response from that

What laptop is it?

What laptop is it?

sony vaio vgn-fz21s. laptop has been running perfectly

• Advertisement

sony vaio vgn-fz21s. laptop has been running perfectly

Did you check the md5 to see if it is corrupted. If it is download again and re-install.

Did you check the md5 to see if it is corrupted. If it is download again and re-install.

how do i check that? i downloaded the iso file through official channels (microsoft.com)

I just checked the Windows download site they use SHA-1. Go to windows site copy the SHA-1. and download this checker. If it matches file is good and you will have to wipe and re-install and if it is wrong it explains why you are having problems. But even if it matches wipe as I said as those problems are not normal what is happening to you.

Right, i got the problem sorted. I re-installed Windows 8 pro (which i'd been using previously), and the restart/shutdown problems persisted.

After googling the issue, i came across the solution:

Control Panel->Troubleshooting->Fix Problems with Windows Update

After running this it said it had found (and fixed) a problem. No problems since, restart and shutdowns working perfectly.

Happy Christmas all

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭doubie

Played around with the Tech Preview earlier. It looks OK tbh. Very much a reskinning of Windows 8.1 to have a proper start menu and little else so far. Will be interesting to see how it progresses. Nearly every time you do something in the OS, a pop up asks how you found the experience of doing so, so they're obviously very interested in user feedback this time round.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I've been running Windows 10 as my main OS since it came out and I've only had that feedback thing a handful of times. I think its far far more than a reskinning of Win 8. Best OS yet IMO - looking forward to seeing what changes are coming in the final release.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

And a small update - Piriform have released a new version of speccy, which now works with Windows 10

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

So, another screenshot of what Windows 10 will look like. Personally, I like the new look. Spartan also looks ok.

windows10themefull.0.jpg

See the Verge here.

And Windows 10 Consumer Preview (build 9901) will be available on January 21st

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

unkel wrote: »
    And Windows 10 Consumer Preview (build 9901) will be available on January 21st

That's a whole 22 better than what we have. Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Been using build 9879 for a while and I have to say, its absolutely excellent. Really smooth and snappy to use. Looking forward to trying out the new build when its released!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

A lot of industry rumors that Windows 10 could be released as a free OS, I believe Apple have done this with their last release

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Interesting, i hope so but I would not bet on it. They make too much money on - killing a massive revenue stream would not be a smart move unless they have some sort of freemium model planned. Corporate especially is a huge pile of cash for them, and most are still on 7 as very few upgraded to 8.1. 10 is where they will get it back

Yep I agree, I could see a possible freemium product like you say. But I imagine this would only target builds such as Starter or home but certainly not any enterprise versions.
    Or maybe a free upgrade for anyone from Win7.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Phoenix wrote: »
    lads opinions please, should I wait to buy a laptop with windows 10 installed or should I get a good asus now?

Unless you are in a hurry for a laptop. AFAIK Windows 10 is not out until Autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Phoenix wrote: »
    lads opinions please, should I wait to buy a laptop with windows 10 installed or should I get a good asus now?

I'd be very surprised if any current/8.1 laptop won't run 10 when it's released

Preferably buy a brand with standard components and decent driver support though - I'm not sure what ASUS is like on that front

I say by one now with 8.1, its almost a guarantied that you will get a free upgrade to Windows 10 if you have 8 or 8.1 or at the very worst it will cost ~20€ , I'm buying a new machine next month.
    It could easily be October before 10 is realised commercially

There is no point in waiting. Win 10 is not that different from Win 8.1, the average use won't notice much of a difference if you use a start menu replacement You can always install the free Windows 10 preview anyway, I've been using it on both my computers without a hitch for months..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Zascar wrote: »
    There is no point in waiting. Win 10 is not that different from Win 8.1, the average use won't notice much of a difference if you use a start menu replacement You can always install the free Windows 10 preview anyway, I've been using it on both my computers without a hitch for months..

Yeah its not much different but it seems much snappier to me, even on the Technical Preview. Really looking forward to the Consumer Preview next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Microsoft has a big Windows 10 announcement at 5pm Irish time today.

Apparently there will be a link to watch it here or have a look at the Ars live blog here

Yes see my post from a week or so ago :)

Here's the direct Microsoft link to the live event: linky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

unkel wrote: »
    Yes see my post from a week or so ago :)

It's called a bump..

aphex™ wrote: »
    It's called a bump..

Fair enough :)

I hope most analysts are wrong and that we will see a glimpse of Windows Phone 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TommyTheGun

Hey Guys,

Apologies for my lack of expertise in this , but i thought i'd ask you guys for some brief advice...

I have a Lenovo IdeaPad, about a year old and for some reason it's incredibly slow yet has very little on it, few pictures and movies, very little added software. Bit disappointed with it's performance tbh as i bought a decent version so i thought ( core i7 3632QM)

So basically, i was looking to do a full reinstall if i can find the disk that came with it as there are a few issues , or alternatively update to windows 10 like you guys. I've been on the windows site but cant find an upgrade...? Also, do i have to save all my files on an external HD?

Anyone any advice? It's been a long while since i've had to reinstall windows on any device

Thanks for any replies in advance,
    Tom

Advertisement