Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Win10 requires each family account (kids) to have an email now. (they want it all synced across all devices). I couldn't find a way around this so I stuck with 8.1 on the family PC.

Another thing, though its in W8x aswell, and all the windows Phones, is on install it asks to track a load of stuff. Why they want to know when and where I blow my nose I have no idea. But you have to remember to turn off this off if it bothers you. The other tracking they don't ask you about, they rolled back into W8 and 7 in patches. So you might want to turn that off also. But thats no longer just in Windows 10.

The patches thing is annoying. You can limit it a bit. But the patches on 8 always seemed to be massive. I had a real problem keeping machines with limited web access patched. On the machine theres a 500mb patch that never seems to install, it been trying for months. I think all this patching slows down the machines. They always seem to be downloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

kleefarr wrote: »
    **Breaking News!**

Camera now working. No idea how or why, but I noticed it worked after doing a Vaio system check. :D

Problem back again.
    Seems to be USB related.

webcam%20USB%20error_zpsikihwvy4.jpg~original

Don't fancy doing a system test everytime I want it to work. An automatic update driver does nothing.
    Any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    I'm a Windows 7 user(Home professional SP1 version). When Windows 10 was first released I never had the 'upgrade to windows 10' icon displayed on the bottom right bar, but I wasn't that pushed about it at the time, and decided to wait a while for Microsoft to iron out any kinks in the new OS before I attempted to install anyway.

Today, I was going to upgrade to 10, so I downloaded the getwindows10 .exe file from MS website. However, when I attempt to run it, nothing at all happens. Anyone else experienced this or know how to solve it?

Anyone have the problem I experienced above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I'm starting to regret ever installing this unfinished mess they call W10. After the latest round of updates my touchpad is unusable again, battery life is getting shorter and shorter with the fan running continuously yet there's no sign of a running process hogging the cpu. I put 8.1 on a flash drive to rid myself of the demon but the installer is asking me for the 25 digit code to install it. Is there a way around this or am I stuck with this W10 mess forever and ever amen..

jca wrote: »
    I'm starting to regret ever installing this unfinished mess they call W10. After the latest round of updates my touchpad is unusable again, battery life is getting shorter and shorter with the fan running continuously yet there's no sign of a running process hogging the cpu. I put 8.1 on a flash drive to rid myself of the demon but the installer is asking me for the 25 digit code to install it. Is there a way around this or am I stuck with this W10 mess forever and ever amen..
    Did your laptop come with 8.1? If so, download ProduKey fron nirsoft.net and it'll give you the 8.1 key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

You have to use the original CD key or get yourself a new one.

Karsini wrote: »
    Did your laptop come with 8.1? If so, download ProduKey fron nirsoft.net and it'll give you the 8.1 key.

Yes it came with 8.1 pre installed. I'll give that a try tomorrow, thanks.

Quick update. There was a update offered for the touch pad so I went ahead and installed it, so far so good.

I did what I thought I'd never do. Installed Windows 10 on my desktop.

I initially did an upgrade at the start in July but it was terribly unstable so it was a clean install this time. I'm actually finding it grand, the hardware is all off the shelf so I didn't envisage any driver issues with the desktop PC. My only gripe now is the updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I did what I thought I'd never do. Installed Windows 10 on my desktop.

I've done the opposite.. I've rolled back to 8.1 on my primary laptop.

I thought 10 was finally starting to shape-up nicely but the newest bug they've introduced (11082 build), which is no status bar when copying files, is frankly a ridiculous thing to let pass - "preview" or not.

I'll give it another 6 months and see how it's looking then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

The new laptop seems to be acting up. Hasn't been right since I reinstalled from going back to 8.1 and upgrading again. What I want to do now is install windows 7 pro and upgrade. But to do this I have to format the whole drive wiping my hp windows 8.1 recovery Which I don't really want to do just in case something happens or I cant get 7 to work correctly. Tried to put the recovery on an external drive but think one or two of the files failed cause even though I'm the admin still failed to allow me looking for admin properties.

What's the best option to get around this?

Why don't you just clean install 10 now? :) You only need to do the upgrade once to get the digital entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 fouro

Also rolled back to Win 7 Pro from Win 10 on my desktop which is used for gaming and video editing. We have until July 2016 to upgrade for free so will wait until closer to then and revisit how it plays with hardware + software.

Why don't you just clean install 10 now? :) You only need to do the upgrade once to get the digital entitlement.

Because im on home but i want pro so i can get the full features.. might as well when i have the key

Jhcx wrote: »
    The new laptop seems to be acting up. Hasn't been right since I reinstalled from going back to 8.1 and upgrading again. What I want to do now is install windows 7 pro and upgrade. But to do this I have to format the whole drive wiping my hp windows 8.1 recovery Which I don't really want to do just in case something happens or I cant get 7 to work correctly. Tried to put the recovery on an external drive but think one or two of the files failed cause even though I'm the admin still failed to allow me looking for admin properties.

What's the best option to get around this?

If it were me I'd recover back to factory 8.1 out of the box. Then take an image of the drive. Test the image. Back it up.

If you already upgraded to W10 you must have a valid key. So I've make a image for that, using the Microsoft media creation tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Then you'd have an image of the factory and of the windows 10.

Jhcx wrote: »
    Because im on home but i want pro so i can get the full features.. might as well when i have the key
    You can clean install 10 Pro and activate with your 7 Pro key, provided that you're using a 1511/Threshold 2 install media.

ok Thanks. i'll go and search for the media so can pop it onto usb tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/partition-copy.htm
    use free version to copy the recovery partition ,to an external drive .
    I prefer windows 7,
    windows 10 sends alot of data to ms,
    browsing history, file info.etc
    its like an os version of big brother .
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8dcfab9a-2873-4b37-bc55-80c0a40cce7a/explain-privacy

And windows 7 works fine ,you don,t have a touchscreen ,
    so i dont see much of a big improvement in windows 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

riclad wrote: »
    I prefer windows 7,
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8dcfab9a-2873-4b37-bc55-80c0a40cce7a/explain-privacy

Microsoft put all the Windows 10 tracking into Window 7 and Windows 8 through updates without telling anyone.

https://www.google.ie/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=windows%2010%20tracking%20in%20windows%207&oq=Windows%2010%20tracking%20in%20&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0.11085j0j7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

riclad wrote: »
    http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/partition-copy.htm
    use free version to copy the recovery partition ,to an external drive .
    I prefer windows 7,

And windows 7 works fine ,you don,t have a touchscreen ,
    so i dont see much of a big improvement in windows 10.

Yeah, windows 10 is for men. Boys stay on Windows 7 ;)

So I managed to get all the way to windows 10 pro only to remember that my windows 7 copy was a 32bit operating system so now I had windows 10pro 32bit. I tried to upgrade to the 64bit using my media creation tool I created before I started only to get booted back to windows 10 home 64bit . Round 2 here I come the most painful part about it all is nothing on the laptop works with windows 7 32bit not a single driver for all the functions on the laptop. So it's very hard to access the internet making it a catch 22. Lucky my mobile has basic drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭dodzy

Hi folks, apologies if its been covered before. Just upgraded to W10 on i3 lenovo. I have a 240gb SSD that i'd like to install. Is there an easy way to get W10 onto this along with all drivers ? Not fussed about all the packaged bloatware that comes installed from manufacturer. Cheers in advance & Happy Christmas:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

dodzy wrote: »
    Hi folks, apologies if its been covered before. Just upgraded to W10 on i3 lenovo. I have a 240gb SSD that i'd like to install. Is there an easy way to get W10 onto this along with all drivers ? Not fussed about all the packaged bloatware that comes installed from manufacturer. Cheers in advance & Happy Christmas:)

What I'd do is download Windows 10 ISO to usb from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then stick in your new SSD, boot up laptop from usb, install Windows as new.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭mrtom

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    What I'd do is download Windows 10 ISO to usb from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Thinking of doing the same but with a used SSD 250Gb. Is there the equivalent of a "format" to remove the old data on the ssd drive on installing W 10?

mrtom wrote: »
    Thinking of doing the same but with a used SSD 250Gb. Is there the equivalent of a "format" to remove the old data on the ssd drive on installing W 10?

1) Formatting doesn't remove or erase data. Never did.
    2) The SSD erase tools might remove the old data. But it might not.
    3) You can't erase SSD the same as old HD.
    4) Destroying the SSD is the only way to be sure.

If you are going to reuse it, just use it. Eventually it will overwrite the old data.
    Encrypt the SSD before using it.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

Cheers misky, downloaded the tool at 11 last night. Eventually found how to access the bios to change boot order (a tiny pin switch next to the charge connector- never seen that before). Will pop the drive in later and have a go. Thanks for the help. :)

dodzy wrote: »
    Cheers misky, downloaded the tool at 11 last night. Eventually found how to access the bios to change boot order (a tiny pin switch next to the charge connector- never seen that before). Will pop the drive in later and have a go. Thanks for the help. :)

It must be a Lenovo I had the same search myself.

It must be a Lenovo I had the same search myself.

Spot on. It's am i3 I got on Amazon a few weeks back for just over 300€. Put the SSD in on stephens Day. Without question, a 'well worth it' upgrade. It really zips along. Thanks to misky for the advice. Went without a hitch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Trying to install via Windows update on a Packard Bell netbook. Not having much success. Windows update's not being very co-operative.

Advertisement