Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Keplar240B wrote: »
    I am upgrading win7 to win10 on a PC for a friend

It stayed at the stage Getting updates checking for updates for an hour.
    That was PRE " I agree to the licence bit"
    Now POST that bit the same screen came up again ie
    Getting updates checking for updates : 0%.
    this time with "0%" present , stays at 0% been here two hours now?
    Should I just wait? or is it stuck
    It appears busy RAM and CPU activity levels are up and down, PC is still usable.
    This computer was not used much in last few months?

If it hasn't been used in a while the PC is probably just catching up on updates, be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭W1ll1s

Keplar240B wrote: »
    I am upgrading win7 to win10 on a PC for a friend

It stayed at the stage Getting updates checking for updates for an hour.
    That was PRE " I agree to the licence bit"
    Now POST that bit the same screen came up again ie
    Getting updates checking for updates : 0%.
    this time with "0%" present , stays at 0% been here two hours now?
    Should I just wait? or is it stuck
    It appears busy RAM and CPU activity levels are up and down, PC is still usable.
    This computer was not used much in last few months?

Can also depend on the PC, some of the lower-end RAM /CPU'S will not take 10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Question on the free upgrade time limit...

I'm in the process of doing the windows update upgrade now on my laptop but I don't really want to bother with my gaming rig for the moment. If I create an iso or whatever with the creation tool, does that process request your product ID i.e. allowing you to upgrade the machine beyond July for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

degsie wrote: »
    If it hasn't been used in a while the PC is probably just catching up on updates, be patient.

Ya we got there eventually , best to make sure windows is fully upgraded before attempting an install, we live and learn, I have it up and running now just one problem the boot takes quite a while
    Black screen delay with cursor for a couple of minutes
    Before loading up desktop.

Going thru google now attempting various fixes

EDIT

fixed it here by changing a registry setting
    boot time went from 5-7 minutes to 1-2 minutes
    Open regedit and click the Edit button at the top of the screen, then click on Find. Type "EnableULPS" and click "Find Next". EnableULPS will be highlighted in the list of registry options.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/operating-systems/1403760/how-to-fix-the-windows-10-slow-boot-bug

everything seems AOK now

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭chainsmoker556

I suggest not to upgrade instead uninstall the current OS then change it to Win 7. Some keyboard commands are not working when you upgrade from 7 to 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭chainsmoker556

I suggest not to upgrade instead uninstall the current OS then change it to Win 10. Some keyboard commands are not working when you upgrade from 7 to 10

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

I believe there is a way to upgrade a pc/laptop which came with Win 10 Home preinstalled to Win 10 pro, if you have a win7/8/8.1 pro key. Has anyone here done this successfully? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

yes just type in the upgrade key VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

and then this will start the upgrade process. does not activate windows 10pro enter your pro key after.

I started with windows 7pro 32bit upgraded to windows 10pro 32bit but then downloaded 64bit unfortunately it gave me my win 10 home 64bit but the code changes it to pro and activates it then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Finally decided to install Windows 10. Had been on Windows 8.1......total fcuking nightmare.
    Computer slow, printer no longer connected, apps missing all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I don't like 10 either. Is it possible to revert back to 8.1 without encountering activation problems? I have a 8.1 iso but when I tried to clean install it, it wouldn't let me past the first screen when it wanted the windows key.

• Advertisement

jca wrote: »
    I don't like 10 either. Is it possible to revert back to 8.1 without encountering activation problems? I have a 8.1 iso but when I tried to clean install it, it wouldn't let me past the first screen when it wanted the windows key.
    Use a tool such as ProduKey to retrieve your 8.1 key from the BIOS and enter that key during the install.

Karsini wrote: »
    Use a tool such as ProduKey to retrieve your 8.1
    key from the BIOS and enter that key during the install.

Thanks for that I'll give it a lash later. My battery life has gone terrible with w10. I was easily getting 4 hours from a full charge with 8.1. It's half that now with w10.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭irishgeo

anyone seen an issue where windows 10 cant seem to reboot the pc. It doesnt seem to be able to cycle the power on the PC. Rather annoying as these auto updates take an age as i have to manually reset the pc for the next stage.

Karsini wrote: »
    Use a tool such as ProduKey to retrieve your 8.1 key from the BIOS and enter that key during the install.

That worked perfectly. I had a few gpt issues initially but it's up and running 8.1 now. I made sure to hide the w10 update too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Could anyone could tell me how to go back to Windows 7 from Windows 10 please and t.I.a.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Could anyone could tell me how to go back to Windows 7 from Windows 10 please and t.I.a.

How long ago did you upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Can't remember. Maybe 2 months..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Can't remember. Maybe 2 months..

Too late to rollback then. Clean install will be required.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Came into work on Tuesday morning to find my PC (Win 7) asking me to accept some terms and conditions. Windows 10 had installed itself overnight. I had not asked it to do this, I've been ignoring the notifications for months, not to mention, it'd take too much time out of my work day. So yeah, bit of a surprise. But it's fine, apps and files are fine. My HP scanner still won't work because of the drivers. Printing is fine.

There were 18 updates installed last week, nothing to do with 10.

I'm concerned this might happen my Dad's PC. Might his decide out of the blue to jump from 7 to 10? And could it happen to my work colleagues too?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Came into work on Tuesday morning to find my PC (Win 7) asking me to accept some terms and conditions. Windows 10 had installed itself overnight. I had not asked it to do this, I've been ignoring the notifications for months, not to mention, it'd take too much time out of my work day. So yeah, bit of a surprise. But it's fine, apps and files are fine. My HP scanner still won't work because of the drivers. Printing is fine.

I'm concerned this might happen my Dad's PC. Might his decide out of the blue to jump from 7 to 10? And could it happen to my work colleagues too?

If it's set to automatically install recommended updates, then yes, it could.

If the work PCs are Enterprise edition, then they won't, it's only for home editions.

• Advertisement

Use this guide http://www.windowscentral.com/how-remove-get-windows-10-app-pc to remove the get W10 icon and update from you computer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

CatInABox wrote: »
    If it's set to automatically install recommended updates, then yes, it could.

If the work PCs are Enterprise edition, then they won't, it's only for home editions.

Hmm, I can't recall if it's set automatically. I usually wait until the end of the day and let the PC restart itself as I'm leaving after 5. I don't always check what's in the queue of updates, so the fact that Windows 10 came down the pipe was a bit of a surprise. How did it know to do an upgrade rather than a clean install, because it was an update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Microsoft is trying to drop all old version of the OS and get everyone on Win10. They are being pretty underhanded about it.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/15/windows-10-automatically-installs-without-permission-complain-users

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Hmm, I can't recall if it's set automatically. I usually wait until the end of the day and let the PC restart itself as I'm leaving after 5. I don't always check what's in the queue of updates, so the fact that Windows 10 came down the pipe was a bit of a surprise. How did it know to do an upgrade rather than a clean install, because it was an update?

Yes, They recently changed the status of the Windows 10 upgrade from "Optional" to "Recommended", so any device that has been set to install recommended updates automatically will get it.

However, it should still ask you if you want to install it*, so perhaps you accidentally clicked "ok" to the prompt at one stage, and then it fired away in the evening then. I know that I've accidentally clicked "ok" on something before without reading it, and I generally keep an eye for those things. My wife on the other hand, seems to click every "ok" button that pops up, without a possibility of reading what it's about.

While I love Windows 10, I think they've handled the push really badly, and it's building up a fair bit of ill feeling at this stage. While I'd recommend it to anyone, some people just don't want it, and that should be their choice.

It did an upgrade because that's the Windows Update process, you have to go a little out of your way to do a clean install.

*Microsoft have acknowledged that there was a few weeks where an error meant people were getting the update without prompting. That was fixed ages ago now, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I see laptops and pc's with no updates installed all the time. I am handed the machine and told "there is something wrong with it, I think it might be a virus". The machine turns out to be riddled with malware/viruses and with few (if any in cases) windows, java, adobe etc updates installed.
    Unfortunately, I agree with MS's policy to force updates on users of Windows 10. Most people simply do not have a clue or want to know how important it is to keep their machine up to date.

Something needs to be done to address the ever growing problem of malware, viruses, trojans, bots etc and I think the new 'forced' updates policy is a step in the right direction.

I am not a fan of Windows 10 but it really isn't that different to Windows 7/8. The basics are the same and you can tweak 10 to look and act like 7 or 8.

I see laptops and pc's with no updates installed all the time. I am handed the machine and told "there is something wrong with it, I think it might be a virus". The machine turns out to be riddled with malware/viruses and with few (if any in cases) windows, java, adobe etc updates installed.
    Unfortunately, I agree with MS's policy to force updates on users of Windows 10. Most people simply do not have a clue or want to know how important it is to keep their machine up to date.

Something needs to be done to address the ever growing problem of malware, viruses, trojans, bots etc and I think the new 'forced' updates policy is a step in the right direction.

Yes, the number of times I've seen home computers riddled with malware is countless. It is unfortunate, but a lot of people really don't have a clue about computers, and so do things without knowing the consequences of their actions.

If I'm setting a computer up for someone now, the first things I do is turn on automatic updates, then install a program like "Patch My PC" that automatically patches other programs, and does it so the likes Java won't give them the option of installing stuff like the Ask toolbar, etc.

You should also let them know that by doing so it will automatically install patches that enable more information to be sent to Microsoft than ever before.

MS reasons for doing this may be partial about viruses etc. But perhaps the main reason is to put everyone on the same version so they can use their app store just like Apple, and other MS services, tracking being part of this.

beauf wrote: »
    You should also let them know that by doing so it will automatically install patches that enable more information to be sent to Microsoft than ever before.

I'd argue that the people most in need of automatic updates are the people least interested in who is tracking what.
    MS reasons for doing this may be partial about viruses etc. But perhaps the main reason is to put everyone on the same version so they can use their app store just like Apple, and other MS services, tracking being part of this.

Of course Microsoft want you to use their latest version, every company wants this. I've also yet to hear a good reason to be against sending telemetry to Microsoft.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Microsoft is trying to drop all old version of the OS and get everyone on Win10. They are being pretty underhanded about it.

To be pedantic Apple dropped pretty much everything when they changed to Intel processors.

• Advertisement

To be pedantic Apple dropped pretty much everything when they changed to Intel processors.

If they did that without telling you, so you work up in the morning and your hardware had changed. Or they gave you an option to not have your hardware changed but then changed it anyway regardless of the setting.

You would have a point. But they didn't so its completely irrelevant.

Advertisement