Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

sugarman wrote: »
    Why bother with 7, when XP was fine?

7 is 7 years old already! Main stream support has ended for 7 already, extended support in 3 years.

There is very little in the ways of updates, after 3 years your OS will be a vulnerable without any security updates.

New software / apps is always developed with the latest OS in mind, so dont expect everything to work in 7.

Driver issues.

DX12 if youre a gamer.

Faster boot / load times.

Theres a host of reasons to upgrade. Its just stubbornness not to.

As I mentioned above, my desktop is 6 years old and runs just dandy on Win7. I tried Win10 and it slowed right down so much as to be unusable. So I rolled back. So it's not faster in this case. Win10 might not be everybody's cuppa, but Win10 is not every computer's cuppa either. :rolleyes:

I reckon my desktop will be dead by the time that Win7 Extended support runs out and if it's not, I'd probably slap some Linux distro on it and re-purpose it.

My laptop (3 years old) could take Win10, but as it's being dragged around the place the whole time, I don't expect it to last beyond extended support either. I don't install a lot of software or games so I'm not bothered by not having a mainstream OS.

I have a Win10 VM that I have been using to familiarise myself with it and it's a good OS. I prefer it over Win8.1 (which is on the wife's machine). However she wouldn't let me upgrade hers!!! :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Microsoft might extend the windows file updates for a few extra years seeing that the majority are using windows 7.

Upgrading is a personal choice, personally, I recommend upgrade, just for the extra security benefits (there's been a vast amount of security work between 7 and 10, even between 8.1 and 10).

However, there's no way that Microsoft will extend the Windows 7 lifetime at all. Just look at how aggressive they've been getting people onto Win10! More likely is that they'll send out updates to nag you into upgrading :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭long_b

At this stage of that the promotion has ended it'll be over a hundred euro to upgrade to Windows 10.

That'll be the biggest factor for people.

Can't see that many dropping that kind of cash on an OS upgrade in that price range!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Has anybody got the anniversary update yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I got it on my laptop & PC about July 31st or so.

• Advertisement

I got the ISOs yesterday evening but Windows Update isn't offering it yet.
    MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I got it on my laptop & PC about July 31st or so.
    Are you an Insider? It was only put on general release yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Mine appeared in Windows update last night and I installed. I haven't actually gotten back to the machine after installing. It took a bloody age, felt like I was upgrading from Win8 to Win10 it took so long. Hope all is well, and looking forward to see how the Bash implementation works.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Karsini wrote: »

Are you an Insider? It was only put on general release yesterday.

Oh ok, yes I am.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Oh ok, yes I am.

I got it on two different machines at around half 6 yesterday. One update took a while, the other did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I just did a manual check for updates a few minutes ago and it's coming down now .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

I just did this update and now it's crashing my PC!:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

According to the link; the anniversary update for Windows 10 will be updated onto newer machines first and then for machines who took the free upgrade afterwards.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/08/02/how-to-get-the-windows-10-anniversary-update/

I haven't got the update yet but it will arrive on computers quickly if you have chosen automatic updates in your settings.

You can manually check for it on Windows Update as well. The update build number is 1607.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i gave up on windows 10 and the constant updates and the battle with my display driver. Linux mint installed now.

Had an identical issue on my laptop but just went back to 8.1 which I'm still quite happy with. Couldn't be bothered with Linux personally.

I noticed when clean installing the new build that it asks to enable Cortana during the post-setup but the option seems to be pointless in Ireland because even if you say yes, it's still disabled.

I see that Sticky Notes is now a Metro app, and you can't resize the tiles as freely as you could with the previous version.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Got it yesterday on a pc which was upgraded to 10 from 7, nothing yet on another 7 to 10 upgrade or 2 8 to 10 upgrades

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Mine appeared in Windows update last night and I installed. I haven't actually gotten back to the machine after installing. It took a bloody age, felt like I was upgrading from Win8 to Win10 it took so long. Hope all is well, and looking forward to see how the Bash implementation works.

This is what interested me most, and so far I'm impressed. The main issue to be aware of is that it seems some AV products will block the setup and/or launch process - I had to uninstall Avast on my desktop to get bash to complete the setup.

Also - the setup process in its current form is silly:
    • Enable developer mode and reboot
    • Install WSL in Add/Remove Windows Features, then reboot
    • Open admin command prompt, enter "bash" command, type "y" at the prompt, then watch it retrieve the default Ubuntu filesystem package from the Windows store
    • set up your userid and password

It's not massively onerous, but you can install WSL and then try to run bash, and it's only at that point that you get told you need to go enable developer mode. Presumably this is an aspect of it being in beta, but still...

As far as the feature itself goes - I must say it's nice having the option to use emacs, nano, vi etc on a Windows box, as well as ssh. I'll have to see how I get on with it over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Poor Putty/PuttyTray will be ruined by this :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

ED E wrote: »
    Poor Putty/PuttyTray will be ruined by this :p

You say that, but it'd be a braver sysadmin than who retires a tried-and-tested desktop tool in a production environment to replace it with a feature that's only available as a beta on the latest OS version ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭nc6000

I've installed the Anniversary Update on my PC, a Tablet and a Laptop all without any issues.

You can use the Media Creator Tool to download and install the update.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ugh. Anniversary is a steaming pile of excrement.

Yes MS, uninstall 5 high use applications because they're "incompatible" (they're not).

Also, break my f'cking VPN. So glad I did this onsite and realized before leaving for two weeks.

2017, year of the Linux desktop? Please lord gaben, grant us that miracle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

ED E wrote: »
    Ugh. Anniversary is a steaming pile of excrement.

Yes MS, uninstall 5 high use applications because they're "incompatible" (they're not).

Also, break my f'cking VPN. So glad I did this onsite and realized before leaving for two weeks.

2017, year of the Linux desktop? Please lord gaben, grant us that miracle.

You're just doing it wrong ;)

I'm getting a laptop next week, not a new one but new-ish. And I'm considering just putting Windows 8.1 on it. There's nothing in 10 that I'll miss and I'm just fed up with the constant updates and having to upgrade it every 6 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Karsini wrote: »
    I'm getting a laptop next week, not a new one but new-ish. And I'm considering just putting Windows 8.1 on it. There's nothing in 10 that I'll miss and I'm just fed up with the constant updates and having to upgrade it every 6 months or so.

Strongly thinking the same... every time a new version update is pushed it messes with Bitdefender's firewall settings and in turn screws up NLA and my domain settings/group policies until I fix it. It's a small thing but it's annoying all the same.

At least 8.1 is stable and with a decent start menu (Start8 being my preference) it's perfectly usable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Hi all. I recently bought a Dell XPS laptop with W10 installed. I generally like it, but I have one irritating issue with it. I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same problem?

Essentially, the Google Drive icon in the task bar is completely unresponsive to right clicks. I can double-left-click to open the Drive folder on the laptop, and sync seems to be working okay. But right-clicking, which I use to exit the program, has no effect whatsoever.

It's probably a Google issue rather than an MS one, but thought I'd ask anyway. There are no issues with the W7 machines in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Dair76 wrote: »
    Hi all. I recently bought a Dell XPS laptop with W10 installed. I generally like it, but I have one irritating issue with it. I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same problem?

Essentially, the Google Drive icon in the task bar is completely unresponsive to right clicks. I can double-left-click to open the Drive folder on the laptop, and sync seems to be working okay. But right-clicking, which I use to exit the program, has no effect whatsoever.

It's probably a Google issue rather than an MS one, but thought I'd ask anyway. There are no issues with the W7 machines in the house.

First Google Search result :rolleyes::
    https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/drive/c2H-TDyyoCE/1AwQD5P9CQAJ
    I found a solution!! The problem was the LOCALE of the program - I checked the log file. So I entered this command into CMD: set LANG=en_US and then: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Drive\googledrivesync.exe", restarted it and now it works! Weird... I wonder why it has a problem with my location. I hope Google fixes this soon so other people don't have to deal with this problem. In the meantime, this is a workaround.

Now there are some on that forum saying that it didn't solve it for them. But it seems others have different suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Edited for diplomacy.

Not the same issue as me unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

I bought a retail copy of W8 and my understanding is that retail keys are converted into W10 OEM keys when you upgrade. If I rollback to W8.1 will I get my retail key back?

The laptop I am using is fairly old so I'd like to have a copy of windows that I could transfer to another computer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I bought a retail copy of W8 and my understanding is that retail keys are converted into W10 OEM keys when you upgrade. If I rollback to W8.1 will I get my retail key back?

The laptop I am using is fairly old so I'd like to have a copy of windows that I could transfer to another computer.
    If windows came with the laptop the the OEM licence, even when upgraded, lives or dies with the laptop.

Few windows licenses are transferable, and even then can only be used on one computer at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

No-one ever provided a satisfactory answer to this. MS wouldn't give a definitive answer. The general consensus I got from random forum posts and what not is that if you do something on a machine which invalidates the activation (i.e. new motherboard) that you can ring up MS and re-activate through support, because they're aware of the original retail license. But it's on a case by case basis.

None of this affects your 8.1 licensing. You bought it with a retail license, you still have that retail license. You can de-activate your current machine* and install that 8.1 on a different machine.

*or not, I forgot to do this when I swapped out the guts of my machine. When I went to re-install 8.1 it just de-activated the other license automatically though I did have to jump through a few more hoops.

Advertisement