Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TommyTheGun

dreamers75 wrote: »

Thanks,

But am i right in saying this was penciled in for the Autumn?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Let me get this striaght now for Windows 10.

Do I get this software downloaded for free for the rest of my life if it is free within the 1st year?

Then if I got it a year after the release date do I pay it with a monthly or yearly subscription?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

If you upgrade in the first year it's free, you'll never pay for it, it's yours to keep. If you wait you'll have to buy it, no specifics announced on how much and how often as far as I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

The devil is in the detail here I'd say, free base install with subs or paid access to other stuff maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

calex71 wrote: »
    The devil is in the detail here I'd say, free base install with subs or paid access to other stuff maybe?

That's what I'm wondering is it "free free" for good if you upgrade within the year?

Can't see MS charge a sub for it a year later when everyone has upgraded - that's consumer suicide if they are planning that!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'd be more worried about what features are dropped especially features you didn't realise you needed.

Though TBH that won't affect most users and in a lot of cases there are alternatives.

And Windows 7 End of mainstream support was last Tuesday :eek:
    just another reason to tempt people over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

You'll be paying office/OneDrive monthly subs.

That hologram stuff is mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Just thinking there too that a clean install would be a nightmare for me and sure some others who took that cheap €15 upgrade to windows 8 in the beginning that required 7 to be installed on the system to resinstall 8 , then add the upgrade to 10 into the mix. Or how would that work then for those more familiar with licensing than me ??? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

So next version of Windows 10 available next week. Windows Phone 10 available next month. I had hoped for both today, but I guess that was wishful thinking taking over :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I cannot wait for cross platform gaming. Windows 10 vs Xbox one, should be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Watching the webcast here now... they really seem to moving to the Winows as a Service model alright as they have done with Office

Suits me fine TBH.. I pay €10 per month for up to 5 installs of the latest Office, get 1 TB of OneDrive space, Skype minutes etc and always have the latest version.
    Windows available through the same model at a decent price would be perfect for me.. as a side note it may impact piracy as well if you could get it legit and up-to-date for a few quid per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Hey Guys,

So basically, i was looking to do a full reinstall if i can find the disk that came with it as there are a few issues , or alternatively update to windows 10 like you guys. I've been on the windows site but cant find an upgrade...? Also, do i have to save all my files on an external HD?

Thanks for any replies in advance,
    Tom
    To answer the win8 bit of your post, the Win8 recovery media is on a partition of the hard drive. You can reset your PC using that or create a bootable USB version of the install media using lenovo's tools.
    http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht076024

Create this before you go near a win10 trial install.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

At its press event today, Microsoft announced that Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users during its first year of availability. There was some confusion, however, when Microsoft's Terry Myerson started talking about Windows 10 "as a service." Did that mean that after that first year of free availability, Windows 10 would cost an annual fee?

I asked Myerson for clarification after the presentation, and he confirmed that there will be no additional fees attached to Windows 10, whenever you buy it.
    Myerson clarified that Windows 10 users will still get free updates and support for the lifetime of the OS, exactly like past versions of Windows (like XP and Windows 7's Service Packs, for example). There's no subscription model for updates or support or continuing to use the OS. Myerson's reference to Windows "as a service" simply meant that Microsoft plans to update the OS with smaller, more regular updates rather than the big, chunky updates of past Service Packs.

A year after Windows 10 is first available, it will no longer be a free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8 users. Microsoft will then sell Windows 10 the same way it has sold past versions of Windows. MS hasn't set a specific price yet, but Myerson said the price will likely be comparable to past versions of Windows. Windows 8 costs $120 on Amazon, for instance.

http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-windows-10-will-not-be-sold-as-a-subscription/

Can't complain. For the past 4 years I have had fully legal versions of Windows 8 and Windows 10 Professional on my main PC. For the next 4 years I will too.

And over those 8 years I will have spent the grand total of €14.99 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

superg wrote: »
    If you upgrade in the first year it's free, you'll never pay for it, it's yours to keep. If you wait you'll have to buy it, no specifics announced on how much and how often as far as I can see.
    Fieldog wrote: »
    That's what I'm wondering is it "free free" for good if you upgrade within the year?

Can't see MS charge a sub for it a year later when everyone has upgraded - that's consumer suicide if they are planning that!
    I'd be more worried about what features are dropped especially features you didn't realise you needed.

Though TBH that won't affect most users and in a lot of cases there are alternatives.

And Windows 7 End of mainstream support was last Tuesday :eek:
    just another reason to tempt people over

Just to confirm to you guys below.

Windows 10 is not going to be sold as a subscription model. The OS will be free for life for every user who has Windows 7/8/8.1 and Windows Phone who will download it within the 1st year of release. If you want W10 exactly a year after it's release and so on you will only have to pay for the install.

http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-windows-10-will-not-be-sold-as-a-subscription/

Happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I have a good feeling about Windows 10 from what I have seen...

(for once!)

I hope it's the "new" Windows 7 for stability and removes the clusterfúck of the tablet bits (of 8.0 anyway) that initially alienated the desktop user in the previous OS...

Bout time MS did a gesture like this though - I have an old second hand MBP (I bought for music) the last 3 years and had 2 free OS updates in that time from Apple....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Fieldog wrote: »
    I have a good feeling about Windows 10 from what I have seen...

(for once!)

I hope it's the "new" Windows 7 for stability and removes the clusterfúck of the tablet bits (of 8.0 anyway) that initially alienated the desktop user in the previous OS...

Bout time MS did a gesture like this though - I have an old second hand MBP (I bought for music) the last 3 years and had 2 free OS updates in that time from Apple....

I've been running 8 and 8.1 since they came out and never had a problem. Was on 7 before that. I will find it hard to go back to the start menu in 10. You get used to the different settings layout in 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ObeyTheSuit

I've been running 8 and 8.1 since they came out and never had a problem. Was on 7 before that. I will find it hard to go back to the start menu in 10. You get used to the different settings layout in 8.

I'm pretty certain you have the choice to run either style of menu.

Win 10 has a tablet mode, however I'm not sure if this will lose other functionality.

• Advertisement

I'm pretty certain you have the choice to run either style of menu.

Win 10 has a tablet mode, however I'm not sure if this will lose other functionality.

From what I saw of the demo yesterday you'll be able to switch back and forth between both modes fairly easily. When on the Desktop you can optionally extend the Start menu to be full screen (like in Win 8.x), and equally in tablet mode you can get back to the Desktop pretty easily too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

A lot of industry rumors that Windows 10 could be released as a free OS, I believe Apple have done this with their last release

Called it, just saying.

The HoloLens looks awesome, we'll all be working from home in virtual offices in 10 years :p

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/40294-microsoft-stuns-tech-world/

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭cullow123

when will windows 10 be released ?

The final version? Some time later this year. There is no date yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ObeyTheSuit

Well it's been announced it's free to upgrade if you own Win 7 or later.

Awesome!

This is actually a positive thing that Apple have force MS to do. Competition is a good thing for the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Will it be free with a OEM version of Windows 7?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

According to MS themselves yes it will be free to all Win 7/8/8.1 users for the first year.
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/01/windows-10-free-for-all-windows-8-1-and-windows-7-users-for-first-year/

New build has been released early - info and links here

Installed it last night and so far so good. Unsurprisingly Cortana doesn't work in Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    New build has been released early - info and links here

Installed it last night and so far so good. Unsurprisingly Cortana doesn't work in Ireland though.

Google now voice commands didn't work outside the US at first as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

So I removed all the silly tiles from my Start menu and now the Start Menu hasn't resized. I'll restart after I finish running disk cleanup to see if that fixes it.
    The Quick Access (Home) default location in Explorer is a pain - almost as bad a 'All my Files' in OS X - I wouldn't mind a way to customize the default location of a new file browser window like in every other OS since forever.

Right clicking on Start now has a handy list of most of the main system utilities, searching for them is still an exercise in futility.

Also I've spawned an A drive but now my keyboard LEDs work again.
    EDIT: I wonder if my Start menu is just broken?
    The customize option is disabled.
    336235.PNG

Advertisement