Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

5uspect wrote: »
    So I removed all the silly tiles from my Start menu and now the Start Menu hasn't resized. I'll restart after I finish running disk cleanup to see if that fixes it.
    The Quick Access (Home) default location in Explorer is a pain - almost as bad a 'All my Files' in OS X - I wouldn't mind a way to customize the default location of a new file browser window like in every other OS since forever.

Right clicking on Start now has a handy list of most of the main system utilities, searching for them is still an exercise in futility.

Also I've spawned an A drive but now my keyboard LEDs work again.
    EDIT: I wonder if my Start menu is just broken?
    The customize option is disabled.

Being unable to resize the start menu is a known issue, apparently there's a reg fix out there somewhere.

See here.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

That did the trick, the customise option is back too.
    Googling 'Windows 10 Start menu broken' was an exercise in frustration. Thanks!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

5uspect wrote: »
    That did the trick, the customise option is back too.
    Googling 'Windows 10 Start menu broken' was an exercise in frustration. Thanks!

I had literally just read an article that had that problem as one of the known issues when I read your post, so it's just lucky I guess.

Is anyone using this on their main computer yet? Is Windows 10 stable enough for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    New build has been released early - info and links here

Installed it last night and so far so good. Unsurprisingly Cortana doesn't work in Ireland though.
    It will work if you change your language and location to the United States and restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

CatInABox wrote: »
    Is anyone using this on their main computer yet? Is Windows 10 stable enough for that?

Yes and yes. I've been using it on my main PC since Sept. '14 and it is completely stable. Upgraded to 9926 last Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I had literally just read an article that had that problem as one of the known issues when I read your post, so it's just lucky I guess.

Yep I'm running it here on an XPS 12.. works fine.

This build seems to have fixed the "boot to black screen" annoyance of the previous one and my Caps Lock LED is working again (that was a weird one!) :)

I'm still not convinced on the new Start menu.. while it's return is welcome, I have no need for the Apps when on the Desktop and don't want the menu taking up almost half the screen, so hopefully more customisation options and preferably a "Win 7 Start Menu" will appear.

Otherwise there's always Start 8 (no doubt Start 10 is on the way!) or Classic Shell

200motels wrote: »
    It will work if you change your language and location to the United States and restart.

Ya, there's the same workaround for enabling it on WP but I couldn't be bothered reconfiguring everything for my IE/UK keyboard, time/date settings and so on either.

Will just wait for now.. I don't know how much the feature will get anyway after the novelty wears off. Certainly couldn't see network admins leaving it enabled either from both a security/privacy perspective and the noise of everyone trying to get it to recognize their accent in an office :p

unkel wrote: »
    Yes and yes. I've been using it on my main PC since Sept. '14 and it is completely stable. Upgraded to 9926 last Friday.

Final question before I decide to upgrade then, what happens at the end of the preview? Does it just transition to the "retail" version, or do you have to do a fresh install?

Thanks for the answers, by the way.

Final question before I decide to upgrade then, what happens at the end of the preview? Does it just transition to the "retail" version, or do you have to do a fresh install?

Thanks for the answers, by the way.

Stand to be corrected, but yes I think the plan is it'll just be upgraded with the final/RTM version when it's released.

We don't know for sure, but the fact that 9926 increased the lifespan from April till October is a good sign that there will be an upgrade path to the final version.

• Advertisement

Never mind Google sussed it for me........

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Logged in this morning and it;s all different! Windows Exlporer, start menu and the taskbar look weird!

Stand to be corrected, but yes I think the plan is it'll just be upgraded with the final/RTM version when it's released.

Thanks guys, I've gone ahead and upgraded. So far, I'm liking the direction this is going in.

Only problems I've noticed are Kaspersky is shagged completely and Internet Download Manager is freezing up a lot....besides that it's super.

MS don't allow third party AV in the pre-release versions of W10

It was exactly the same 4 years ago with W8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I've installed it on one machine and it was very sluggish. Thought it might be the PC or disk, so tried a newer machine and it's the same. I presume there is some logging go on in the background maybe that's causing it be feel slow? Previous had windows 8.1 on these machines and they were speedy enough.

I've installed it on one machine and it was very sluggish. Thought it might be the PC or disk, so tried a newer machine and it's the same. I presume there is some logging go on in the background maybe that's causing it be feel slow? Previous had windows 8.1 on these machines and they were speedy enough.

Can't say that's been my experience on the 2 machines I've loaded it on - it flies along!

That's very strange. Still no different after leaving it for a few hours. Two very difference spec'd machines as well. Going to try it on an SSD next.
    Can't say that's been my experience on the 2 machines I've loaded it on - it flies along!

I installed on three different laptops. On one however there's an irritating startup screen with the choice to either do a rollback or boot W10...and I hit the fecking rollback once by accident. I said goodbye to an evening in order to set things up again.

Any way to disable this fecking annoyance which is only affecting my Samsung Chronos laptop?

:edit: Found it lurking in msconfig and deleted the fecking thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I installed on three different laptops. On one however there's an irritating startup screen with the choice to either do a rollback or boot W10...and I hit the fecking rollback once by accident. I said goodbye to an evening in order to set things up again.

Any way to disable this fecking annoyance which is only affecting my Samsung Chronos laptop?

Try this:
    If you would like to remove the uninstall option from the boot up experience:

From the Start menu or the Search icon, search for cmd

Press-and-hold or right-click Command Prompt from the search results and select Run as administrator

Type bcdedit /timeout 0 at the command prompt and hit ENTER

You can get the uninstall option back in the boot menu by following these steps again, but change the timeout value to something between 1 and 30, instead of zero.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/the-uninstall-option-on-boot-what-it-is-how-to-get/b40b3999-e0d3-49e0-a4c0-12b886a8951d

• Advertisement

That's part of the 9926 upgrade. I guess on the other 2 laptops you installed 9926 (or any other build) from fresh?

It seems there's no option in the interface to get rid of it, but you can change the timeout down to 5 seconds, after which it will automatically boot W10

Ah nice one Davy!

What cannot be done through the UI, can often be done through the back door :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Has anyone had the issue of having the correct language selected in Language/Region settings (i.e. English (Ireland)), but dates are in Irish, e.g. on the taskbar calendar and on the lock screen?

One of my desktop's running the preview has the battery gauge showing with a redX on the lock screen. Can't seem to find a way to disable it. Any having this issue?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

One of my desktop's running the preview has the battery gauge showing with a redX on the lock screen. Can't seem to find a way to disable it. Any having this issue?

Mine has been like that as well. Also, on a desktop.

Have it on three now and only one shows the battery icon. Ah well. Still not as quick as expected but hopefully it'll get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Hey, anyone else having issues with chrome 64bit since 9926 update. I've found it to be rather slow in responding sometimes totally ignoring commands to load pages or even go back to The home page , also after shutting down the laptop once booted up again and entering chrome it says chrome Shut down incorrectly. I've uninstalled and installed a few times now but nothing seems to slove it. anyone using the 32 bit version and having this issue or is it just 64bit beta . I've used comodo dragon and no issues bar being out of date v36chromium

Jhcx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Is this good enough at the moment for a daily runner? Mostly use the laptop for Internet and multimedia but no major processing or games of any kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Is this good enough at the moment for a daily runner? Mostly use the laptop for Internet and multimedia but no major processing or games of any kind.

Yes and no. I find it to be a lot faster at start up time than windows 7 on my Dell Inspiron 15. the same as yourself internet, videos, music, and MS office.
    But still a few bugs like 9926 i have found speed in response has slowed down a bit over the previous version. and with 9933 on the way i dont know what thats going to bring. you will loose some features on your laptop so far ive lost my intel built in bluetooth but trying to find drivers as dell dont support windows 8.1. and the wifi (public private networks) i find a pain to change and search for other computers in my home. So if you want the bare minimum's its ok might freeze every now and then. but if your not ready to deal with the issues stay where you are till a the stable version is released

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

having difficulty getting a stable download of 9926; windows update method inexplicably fails and 2 attempts to download the ISO both got me corrupt, partial downloads. options?

Advertisement