Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

How's your internet connection? That's the most likely culprit. Download it somewhere else? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Jhcx wrote: »
    Hey, anyone else having issues with chrome 64bit since 9926 update. I've found it to be rather slow in responding sometimes totally ignoring commands to load pages or even go back to The home page , also after shutting down the laptop once booted up again and entering chrome it says chrome Shut down incorrectly. I've uninstalled and installed a few times now but nothing seems to slove it. anyone using the 32 bit version and having this issue or is it just 64bit beta . I've used comodo dragon and no issues bar being out of date v36chromium

Jhcx

Thats a known issue with chrome. Its in Windows 8 too. The background process never shuts down properly. If you go into the settings in Chrome and disable "Allow Chrome run in background" it puts a stop to it

• Registered Users Posts: 82,511 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I was saving the download to the secondary hard drive, and it was going to sleep between large packets. Downloading to the main SSD sorted that out.

but now windows update is taking forever. the download progress is lethargic as hell, and I've ruled out a network issue.

Overheal wrote: »
    but now windows update is taking forever. the download progress is lethargic as hell, and I've ruled out a network issue.

You do seem to be on your own with these issues though? Just ran windows update myself and it downloaded and installed one update in just a few seconds...

• Advertisement

clearly, lol.

Now its stuck at 100% download.

I don't recall seeing your current location in SC before. Did you move house recently? If that's the case, isn't the most likely culprit your ISP? Out of interest what kinda speeds are you getting over there for what monthly fee?

I'm on the most expensive €85 UPC package here which includes unlimited 240mbps internet, max tv package with streaming, hard disk recording etc. and free phone calls (landline, mobile, international). Quadruple play (internet + tv + phone + mobile) isn't here just yet, but probably coming later this year. Will save me a fortune if I can cancel my mobile provider...

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

Just d/l 9926 and wow what an improvement saying that I was running Vista sp2 so anything is better but I'm seriously Impressed.
    Have some issue with it not loading from system will only boot from cd but I'm sure I will fix it as soon as I'm bothered!!

unkel wrote: »
    I don't recall seeing your current location in SC before. Did you move house recently?
    Recently is a vague term. 2008?

Running Windows 10 Professional (9926) on a €40 Linx 7 tablet now :D

Working great!

• Advertisement

anyway its not a network issue, the laptop has been on several networks, one of them gigabit fiber. Also, I seem to not be able to get it to recognize my mouse which is mighty unusual. Same 9926 build as on the Desktop, and yet the Laptop doesn't even show Cortana as running.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Any new free copies of this for Ubuntu users?

I have Win8 on the laptop but I'd like to keep it running.

I wouldnt mind having a look at 10 on my desktop though.

Free for all at least until the final version arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Anyone know if this would work on a Dell Dimension 9150 2006 vintage currently running XP Media Centre edition 2005?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

peking97 wrote: »
    Anyone know if this would work on a Dell Dimension 9150 2006 vintage currently running XP Media Centre edition 2005?

I would say its very unlikely. Try the 8.1 upgrade assistant and see what it reports back.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows-8/upgrade-assistant-download-online-faq

You'd be better off running a lightweight Linux distribution on a machine of that age i'd say.

On a 9 year old PC? Sure. It will be fine :)

1GB RAM, 16GB hard disk space, 1ghz processor

I've installed on machines about as old as your one and they were fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

Thanks for the info. Is Win XP MCE a qualifying product do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

peking97 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Is Win XP MCE a qualifying product do you know?

For this trial version that we're currently trialling, which will expire before the end of the year, there is no qualifier.

For the full version out at the end of the year, no. Windows 7 and 8 will be upgradable for free for 1 year. (not sure about the enterprise version cost yet.).

Vista and XP will have to pay according to what we know. Don't yet know how much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Turned my back and laptop is now setting up a new build / update. Have a presentation to give in the morning... fingers crossed this updates without problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Did windows disable Aero look in the 9926 update? the solid colours are driving me mad.

• Advertisement

yup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Anyone else having problems with 9926? It's running very very slow for me, almost unusable. Takes 15 mins before I can do anything on startup and disk activity up around 100% most of the time with no obvious culprit.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm not hitting anything like that, but I have found that I can't write to any USB media, I'm getting permission errors - even on FAT32 media. Stupidly I can reformat the media but still can't write to it afterwards.

I might use it as an excuse to try out the "refresh" function.

That's weird. Did you try change permissions or does it not let you? Take ownership? When formatting, did you untick quick format? Delete the partition through disk management? Try wipe it with disk part through the command prompt?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

That's weird. Did you try change permissions or does it not let you? Take ownership? When formatting, did you untick quick format? Delete the partition through disk management? Try wipe it with disk part through the command prompt?

It happens even formatting as FAT32 which doesn't even have ACLs. It's definitely a bug (pretty sure it's only in the most recent build as I'm sure I've moved stuff to and from this machine via USB previously) and a few other people have reported it. I tried everything you listed, and none of it made a difference. What's more, it's happening on several devices (all on the USB bus, including SD cards) and they all work absolutely fine on several other machines (Windows 7, Windows 8, Home Server 2011). It's definitely something banjaxed in Win10 :).

I use USB sticks a lot, particularly in the last week or so as I was messing around with various linux flavours and needed to put distros on usb sticks many times Different makes and models of USB sticks, different ages and different speeds, etc. no problems here at all. That said, I only used USB2 connections, not USB3

But I reckon W10 is fine :)

Something must have gone corrupt on your PC! Did you upgrade from a previous version of windows or fresh install? Would you be able to do a fresh install, I bet ya the problem will be sorted :D

I use USB sticks a lot, particularly in the last week or so as I was messing around with various linux flavours and needed to put distros on usb sticks many times Different makes and models of USB sticks, different ages and different speeds, etc. no problems here at all. That said, I only used USB2 connections, not USB3

But I reckon W10 is fine :)

Something must have gone corrupt on your PC! Did you upgrade from a previous version of windows or fresh install? Would you be able to do a fresh install, I bet ya the problem will be sorted :D

The number of other folks reporting it isn't very large, so it's probably restricted to certain chipsets or something. My test install is on an old laptop bought for exactly this sort of thing, so I'm going to play around with the refresh & restore options and see if that makes a difference, then if all else fails reinstall from fresh media. Was just waiting to get the 12GB of files that I'd originally copied off the USB drive onto the W10 box back off of it (I initially assumed the fault was with the USB stick I was using, so copied files off and reformatted it - then discovered I still couldn't write to it...).

Anyway, yeah, I'll post another update when I've had a chance to run through the various recovery options and see what, if any, difference they make. It'll probably be tomorrow evening sometime.

Another thing I discovered last night is that robocopy in Win10 adds a /J switch - it sets unbuffered mode for large file transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I have issues with USB 3 aswell, takes an age to give you the notification to remove and sometimes none at all. Was never a problem before W10, haven't checked the other machine yet which isn't USB 3.

Another odd thing I noticed with the left click of the mouse its doing a double click with one press, so often deletes two emails etch which is never annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I came across one minor issue when starting up for the first time after updating, I was getting the limited connectivity message for both WiFi and Ethernet so had to skip that part of the setup process.

But once booted everything was fine just in case anyone else encounters the same problem and gets worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Could honest to god strangle myself. Running W/10 on Dell Inspirion 15R. since the upgrade everything came in great all basic modules were working except for one. Bluetooth. so i searched and searched and searched. nothing worked. tried broadcom, tried generic, dell and all failed with compatibility or couldnt find the device. but got it working

anyway last week i refreshed the system and this deletes all programmes installed(Note it only uninstalled a few left the sound and intel programmes i added) so for last week ive been without bluetooth and tonight i decided to sit down figure out why it was failing to re install even though was working. did the same thing i did first time round and no luck until i finally decided to re read the critical information that worked the first time. To go directly to the folder and right click the programme and run it from there. Sort of like a back door and woala 2 hours of searching and it finally worked. it does crash and send a report to MS but the main functions of bluetooth connect no bother. Heres the link for anyone else who might come across setting up bluetooth on the dell or wireless 365 module

Dell Wireless 365

Most of you probably already know the ropes but here it is save anyone going mental for 2hrs trying every compatibility way. should be noted though it may not work as i say it crashes

Advertisement