Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Gabriel Aul just confirmed that you can update all the way to retail, so that's the only thing that was worrying me gone.
    @GabeAul wrote:
    @chrisiyg Yes, you should be able to upgrade all the way to final version.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

CatInABox wrote: »
    Gabriel Aul just confirmed that you can update all the way to retail, so that's the only thing that was worrying me gone.

That's brilliant news!

Off to convert the last few remaining PCs, laptops and tablets in the house to Windows 10 :cool:

Does this imply that Windows 10 is free for all home users? As in install preview now (when you own XP, vista, any other non-qualifying OS or no OS at all)?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

unkel wrote: »
    That's brilliant news!

Off to convert the last few remaining PCs, laptops and tablets in the house to Windows 10 :cool:

Does this imply that Windows 10 is free for all home users? As in install preview now (when you own XP, vista, any other non-qualifying OS or no OS at all)?

Not sure. Does upgrading to Windows 10 wipe the key that you had in the previous version?

oops my mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭peking97

My machine (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94448340&postcount=227) currently has a Raid 1 (mirroring) setup with XP MCE.
    I'm wondering could I break the Raid (by removing the SATA cable from disk 1 for example) and go ahead with a Windows 10 install on disk 0 only.
    Later, if I wanted to revert to XP could I just disconnect disk 0 and reconnect disk 1?....or am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

question: if, on my laptop, i replace win 8.1 (which i purchased) with win 10 preview, will my free upgrade to win 10 go through automatically once the final build for win 10 is released???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭seamusmct

cant wait.just watched a demo on youtube,looks kool

Not sure. Does upgrading to Windows 10 wipe the key that you had in the previous version?

It replaces the key afaik. But is that really relevant? You could do a free fresh Windows 10 technical preview install now. It is automatically activated. I doubt very much that a later update to retail / RTM would inactivate it

Thus a free OS for all (except enterprise) so it seems!
    seamusmct wrote: »
    cant wait.

No need to wait. There's nothing stopping you installing Windows 10 right now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭seamusmct

think i will wait and get the finished product. just encase anything goes wrong

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

peking97 wrote: »
    My machine (http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94448340&postcount=227) currently has a Raid 1 (mirroring) setup with XP MCE.
    I'm wondering could I break the Raid (by removing the SATA cable from disk 1 for example) and go ahead with a Windows 10 install on disk 0 only.
    Later, if I wanted to revert to XP could I just disconnect disk 0 and reconnect disk 1?....or am I missing something?

Probably yes, but it depends on your RAID controller and whether it allows you to cleanly break the array.

• Advertisement

Fysh wrote: »
    Probably yes, but it depends on your RAID controller and whether it allows you to cleanly break the array.
    Yes, some RAID controllers may wipe both drives if you break the array. Definitely the HP server ones do.

Haven't done anything with Windows 10 since the first preview came out, wondering if I should jump back in now? Still on 8.1 Pro on a PC and laptop here.

Thanks for info.
    It's a software RAID implemented in the BIOS so I'll need to research it a little more before proceeding as I don't know what it will do if I break it!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

I really want to upgrade to W10 but dont want to make the jump to early. wanna make sure its stable enough. i mostly use my pc for gaming. CSGO mostly but all new titles get a go. anyone know what drivers are like for it atm?

no particular reason for the upgrade other than i wanna try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

drivers seem to run on windows 8. anything you need usually under windows 8 although as im learning there are lots of back doors. i have steam running on windows 10 and most games are working grand. but i had one problem with a game cities in motion. uses a lot of graphics and that crashed upon launch unlike windows 7 where it worked flawlessly(same spec) computer is currently generating a report. as far as i can tell my graphics card is on the way out in terms of spec, windows would prefer if i upgrade it. otherwise it appears to be stable enough 9926 has been out awhile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Jhcx wrote: »
    drivers seem to run on windows 8. anything you need usually under windows 8 although as im learning there are lots of back doors. i have steam running on windows 10 and most games are working grand. but i had one problem with a game cities in motion. uses a lot of graphics and that crashed upon launch unlike windows 7 where it worked flawlessly(same spec) computer is currently generating a report. as far as i can tell my graphics card is on the way out in terms of spec, windows would prefer if i upgrade it. otherwise it appears to be stable enough 9926 has been out awhile

Do you have any issues with Steam at all. My young fella plays TF2 on his laptop (Wins 8.1) Id like to upgrade his laptop to 10 but im reading conflicting reports on whether Steam runs or not. I dont want to upgrade it unless i know its some way stable.

obezyana wrote: »
    Do you have any issues with Steam at all. My young fella plays TF2 on his laptop (Wins 8.1) Id like to upgrade his laptop to 10 but im reading conflicting reports on whether Steam runs or not. I dont want to upgrade it unless i know its some way stable.

I've played a bunch of games, new and old, on steam and off, and haven't had any problems with any of them.

I've played a bunch of games, new and old, on steam and off, and haven't had any problems with any of them.

Perfect thanks :) Does Steam or any games you had installed prior to upgrading need to be downloaded and installed again?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

obezyana wrote: »

My gaming desktop is running Windows 10. I haven't run into any problems yet. I'd install it on my laptop but I don't want the hassle of re-installing everything on it.

My gaming desktop is running Windows 10. I haven't run into any problems yet. I'd install it on my laptop but I don't want the hassle of re-installing everything on it.

Cheers, I think ill just back up everything and give 10 a go.

You are unlikely to have to re-install more than one or two programmes. Most likely all your programs that run on 8.1 will still run after you upgrade to 10. If you back up your 8.1 before upgrade, you can always go back if it turns out more problematic than you hoped. Win win! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

unkel wrote: »
    You are unlikely to have to re-install more than one or two programmes. Most likely all your programs that run on 8.1 will still run after you upgrade to 10. If you back up your 8.1 before upgrade, you can always go back if it turns out more problematic than you hoped. Win win! :)

I've always gone for clean installs over upgrades. I only really use my laptop for web browsing since I got my desktop so I'm not really all that bother by it.

I've always gone for clean installs over upgrades.

Aye. Always a better option. If it is an option.
    I only really use my laptop for web browsing

So there are no programs to re-install after wiping it and installing Windows 10 then, right? ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Update: finally made some time to go through the "Refresh" option and I'm quite impressed. It's solved the writing-to-USB issue I mentioned a few pages back, so I guess that was a quirk from moving between builds. I was also happy to see that I didn't need to reinstall all the drivers - as soon as I connected it to the network it got on with downloading and installng them in the background. The only thing I would change about how this works would be to show an on-screen notification, because at first all I knew was that something was hammering the disk and slowing everything else down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I am having issues trying to install windows 10 through the windows update option. It gives me an error code 80240055. Any suggestions?

I'd be interested to know what anti-virus software y'all are using with Win 10.
    I find that my Norton Version 21.6.0.32 cannot be installed.
    Any suggestions please?

Beta versions of Windows 8 didn't allow anti-virus software to be installed. 10 might be the same.

Yeah I had to uninstall Kaspersky..

Yeah, it's Microsoft policy to disable third party antivirus during their preview programs. Not sure why, but I'd assume that they want to make sure their own antivirus gets a fair test too.

Why would you want to install a third party AV in W10? Defender works fine, is free, doesn't need registration, updates itself and doesn't fook up any other programs. Just let it be, don't screw it up by installing other stuff...

• Advertisement

Thanks for those last few comments guys. I hadn't realised that Windows Defender was a fully fledged AV program. I'm not sure what I thought it was exactly!:)

Advertisement