Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Water application pack

Options
  • 01-10-2014 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Have you filled out yours?

Have you filled out your Irish Water Application Pack 135 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    30% 41 votes
    Haven't Decided Yet
    42% 58 votes
    I returned my Application Pack to Irish water "No Contract No Consent"
    26% 36 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭roxybing

I have not and will not complete the form. I have my own septic tank and on a very good private water scheme that we have been paying for years. Why I have to complete a form to tell Irish Water im not customer is beyond me.

it's nothing but a fact finding mission. Irish water can send bills all they like the'll go to the fire like the application

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭roxybing

I have not and will not complete the form. I have my own septic tank and on a very good private water scheme that we have been paying for years. Why I have to complete a form to tell Irish Water im not customer is beyond me.

it's nothing but a fact finding mission. Irish water can send bills all they like the'll go to the fire like the application

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

No. Paying another tax on what had been one of the few core government tasks, provision of water which had been paid for out of the already numerous forms of taxation, just seems wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Filled it out and returned it the day after I got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

54kroc wrote: »
    Filled it out and returned it the day after I got it.

Enda,Phil and Co. Will love you then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Didn't get one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

My one just says "Householder"

No idea who Mr Holder is, but he sure as sh!t don't live here!

Roar wrote: »
    My one just says "Householder"

No idea who Mr Holder is, but he sure as sh!t don't live here!

Similar position except it was to the occupier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Didn't get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    Similar position except it was to the occupier

+1.

Got it.

Sent it back unopened.

• Advertisement

MrFrisp wrote: »
    +1.

Got it.

Sent it back unopened.

The results of the poll are alarming, I'm in the same boat as yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Malari wrote: »
    Didn't get one!

Another one that never received the pack!

kaki wrote: »
    Another one that never received the pack!
    to those of you who never received it,answer the poll as if you did to give some idea of what you would do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Got ours a couple of weeks ago. Haven't yet completed it as it's addressed to our landlord but is in fact for us. IW don't seem to be able to answer my queries sufficiently clearly, as the document is poorly drafted IMO, and am unsure how to proceed.

To those who sent it back unopened* - Why? What point are you trying to prove?? Do you honestly think IW won't find a way to charge you??? The charges are coming - Whether we like them or not. This is the only country that I know of where people expect a water supply for free!! Even in Barbados where my folks are from, you have to pay for water. Don't pay it? The supply's cut off in full view of your neighbours to maximise embarrassment and ensure you pay the bill - None of this slow trickle business!! It was a condition of the bailout that property taxes and water rates be raised. If you don't send back the pack, then you won't be able to avail of the allowance - as little as it is, and will be charged in full.

In the UK, you're charged the standard rate - no allowances. My last bill before I came here was £391. So E280 is small change to me, relatively speaking. All you're doing is delaying the inevitable.

*And DO NOT have a private septic tank and water source.

Got ours a couple of weeks ago. Haven't yet completed it as it's addressed to our landlord but is in fact for us. IW don't seem to be able to answer my queries sufficiently clearly, as the document is poorly drafted IMO, and am unsure how to proceed.

To those who sent it back unopened* - Why? What point are you trying to prove?? Do you honestly think IW won't find a way to charge you??? The charges are coming - Whether we like them or not. This is the only country that I know of where people expect a water supply for free!! Even in Barbados where my folks are from, you have to pay for water. Don't pay it? The supply's cut off in full view of your neighbours to maximise embarrassment and ensure you pay the bill - None of this slow trickle business!! It was a condition of the bailout that property taxes and water rates be raised. If you don't send back the pack, then you won't be able to avail of the allowance - as little as it is, and will be charged in full.

In the UK, you're charged the standard rate - no allowances. My last bill before I came here was £391. So E280 is small change to me, relatively speaking. All you're doing is delaying the inevitable.

In alot of cases, my own included it's not a case of won't pay it's a case of can't pay,this will be the straw that breaks the camels back

In alot of cases, my own included it's not a case of won't pay it's a case of can't pay,this will be the straw that breaks the camels back

My own too. But it's a utility like the gas/oil and electric. Do you pay those too?

My own too. But it's a utility like the gas/oil and electric. Do you pay those too?

They are both on pre pay meters

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I had good quality water coming into my house. The pipes were bad tho and we were constantly being cut off cos of leaks. We were off something like 29times in 18months. Anything from a few hours to a few days.
    They recently changed our source and we now have a better supply but the water is very hard. We need to descale the kettle every 2/3 days and i can only imagine the damage its doing to the washing machine and dishwasher. They now want me to pay for my water even tho its damaging my household appliances.
    I know i can buy tablets to put into them but i shouldnt have to as it could cost a few hundred euro more per year over people in a similar household without hard water.

They are both on pre pay meters
    Electric & gas costs more on a key meter. Why don't you pay a set amount each week every time you draw? That's what I do. Same with the TV licence.

I intend to do the sane with the water.

Electric & gas costs more on a key meter. Why don't you pay a set amount each week every time you draw? That's what I do. Same with the TV licence.

I intend to do the sane with the water.

I might just get rid of those meters then, but at present it's money I ain't got,can't get blood from a stone sadly

• Advertisement

Well, you can quite clearly afford to pay it then..

We can't.

There's also a good difference between IW getting the money from me, and taking it.

I have no intention of ever paying it.

Reduce it to a trickle? Let them, we can adapt.

If I'm correct, it was sometime back in the 80's where there was extra tax added to something to cover the cost of water. That charge has never been reduced. So it's already being paid for.

They say 40% of water is lost due to leaks.. Well, fix the bloody leaks.

Well, you can quite clearly afford to pay it then..

We can't.

You're not the only ones struggling. We can't afford to pay it either, but we have to. Gas and electric, you can struggle on without. Water you cant! What's your point?
    There's also a good difference between IW getting the money from me, and taking it.

I have no intention of ever paying it.

Good luck with that. IW will be getting their money whichever way you colour it. I figure I might as well pay it - In my own time, and they're not getting the money in one hit. Can't pull E280 from my arse. Once something is paid on the bill, however little they can't cut you off! Go figure...
    Reduce it to a trickle? Let them, we can adapt.

When you need water for cooking, bathing, having the water down to a trickle isn't going to cut it. Try it and see...
    If I'm correct, it was sometime back in the 80's where there was extra tax added to something to cover the cost of water. That charge has never been reduced. So it's already being paid for.

How? Water treatment and supply isn't a fixed cost - it's ongoing! Plus the water system is in desperate need of upgrading due to the shocking neglect from successive governments.
    They say 40% of water is lost due to leaks.. Well, fix the bloody leaks.

True. Can't argue with that there!! I'd also like to be able to have an assured supply, and not have brown water running from my taps which happens on a fairly regular basis....

You're not the only ones struggling. We can't afford to pay it either, but we have to. Gas and electric, you can struggle on without. Water you cant! What's your point?

Good luck with that. IW will be getting their money whichever way you colour it. I figure I might as well pay it - In my own time, and they're not getting the money in one hit. Can't pull E280 from my arse. Once something is paid on the bill, however little they can't cut you off! Go figure...

When you need water for cooking, bathing, having the water down to a trickle isn't going to cut it. Try it and see...

How? Water treatment and supply isn't a fixed cost - it's ongoing! Plus the water system is in desperate need of upgrading due to the shocking neglect from successive governments.

True. Can't argue with that there!! I'd also like to be able to have an assured supply, and not have brown water running from my taps which happens on a fairly regular basis....

Apparently water charges in the 90's were defeated, I was too young to remember that but does anyone fancy a repeat of it???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Yes - the water infrastructure used to be paid for out of general taxation through the local authorities so every tax payer paid for water no matter how much water they used or wasted.

Now we are moving to a much fairer system of pay-per-use instead of a flat tax - if you are a heavy user you pay more, a light user you pay less, or perhaps even nothing.

You can't afford to pay it, yet your going to pay it .. Which one is it??

Yup, they will have to take it. Like you, We can't afford that either, no matter what part of the body it's being pulled from.

Yup, we will. And we won't be the only ones.

As another poster already pointed out, The money was added to general taxation years ago. Why have they not used the money from that to pay for it? After all, that's what it was for. People are just being made to pay twice.

Thankfully, we don't have water that's like that.

Sorry for the sh1te way the reply appeared here. I'm on my phone and it's not the best for the replies on here.

:(

I know, Mr F. It's a tough break...

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

Sent it back and told them i will leave the tap out the back on in protest.

Sent it back with letter attached and told them i will leave the tap out the back on in protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

iainBB wrote: »
    Sent it back and told them i will leave the tap out the back on in protest.

What a completely stupid thing to do. You're chucking expensive, treated, drinkable, pumped to your door water down the f-ing drain?

There are people hauling dirty water out of half-dried up wells around the world who would kill for what you have delivered to your tap.

Self-entitled gob****tes with this kind of bull. Do you stamp your feet petulantly and demand a free ferrari as well, while hitting your own car with a baseball bat?

What on earth could that possibly even achieve except push your taxes UP?

• Advertisement

felt great too, i recommend it to everyone.

Think about it for just a min, do you really think marching talking polls make any bit of difference. what a waste of tons of hours of time and effort.

if 5000 people did what I done 3 days ago when they started charging this will all be over in 1 month.

If you have a one better idea that will change it please say it now. i am listening. Rather he what not to do.

Too many people just like you are here to say what not to do sadly the world is full of people like you, What better method have you got right now that “will work”

What is your idea and how is better then mine?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement