Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Water application pack

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I have no issue in principle paying for water. I think it's about time it was charged like any other service. At least then people might take care and conserve when possible.

The thing I'd be concerned about is that it is metered correctly in apartments, and houses that have been converted to flats, etc. And as has been mentioned, the leaks are wasting an awful lot of water too, but this is probably the only way it will be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭iainBB

if i had a meter right now i would pay for what i use. but I have a water recovery system , filtering and grey water reuse in place and use very little mains water so i am not going to pay for something i am not using.

of course I do have the tap running now in protest lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

iainBB wrote: »
    felt great too, i recommend it to everyone.

Think about it for just a min, do you really think marching talking polls make any bit of difference. what a waste of tons of hours of time and effort.

if 5000 people did what I done 3 days ago when they started charging this will all be over in 1 month.

If you have a one better idea that will change it please say it now. i am listening. Rather he what not to do.

Too many people just like you are here to say what not to do sadly the world is full of people like you, What better method have you got right now that “will work”

What is your idea and how is better then mine?

Well - I wouldn't be spitting my dummy out and wasting water for a start. And I think your idea of opening the taps is childish and selfish. It also raises the rates for the rest of us who will pay, just for your fit of pique.

What on earth makes you think by opening the taps, the Government will magically call off the water rate??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Three pages into the thread and I am still looking for the relevance to Cork City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

of course I do have the tap running now in protest lol

It's moronic behaviour like this which makes me think water charges are a really good idea.

There's no accounting for the number of thickos who think wasting water is great fun.

• Advertisement

Well - I wouldn't be spitting my dummy out and wasting water for a start. And I think your idea of opening the taps is childish and selfish. It also raises the rates for the rest of us who will pay, just for your fit of pique.

What on earth makes you think by opening the taps, the Government will magically call off the water rate??

So your idea is nothing not once single idea that would make one single difference. Congratulation, lets tell the world your great idea. That will solve not only our water charge issue but world peace.

You can call my idea anything you want, when you come up with a better we I am sure there will be names for your that are much worse. Take your time its not like they are charging for water now.

pwurple wrote: »
    It's moronic behaviour like this which makes me think water charges are a really good idea.

There's no accounting for the number of thickos who think wasting water is great fun.

sticks and stone mate. get some anger management classes name calling online will work for you

So your idea is nothing not once single idea that would make one single difference. Congratulation, lets tell the world your great idea. That will solve not only our water charge issue but world peace.

You can call my idea anything you want, when you come up with a better we I am sure there will be names for your that are much worse. Take your time its not like they are charging for water now.

You can put your dummy back now, and try to come up with something more cogent.

The charges are coming. I don't like it any more than you do. Especially as so much water is wasted through leaks, and the quality isn't great. Ireland is supposed to be a First World country. Yet - there are great swathes of people in this country who still have to boil the ******* water before they can drink it. But IW have the barefaced cheek to attempt to charge these people. I have no problem paying for water - Being English, this is nothing new. What I do have a problem with is the way the charges are being brought in with no apparent attempt to have plans in place to upgrade the infrastructure or to assure the quality of the supply.

Neither do I want a repeat of what happened to me and 000's more in the Northside of the city in 2009 and 2010 when the supply was cut off for days at a time, through incompetence, complacency and rank stupidity. That couldn't happen in the UK - The water companies know that if the water's cut off for more than four hours and it's their fault compensation has to be paid. I don't see any of that here...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,032 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You are asking people who fundamentally agree with the concept of water charges to come up with ways of preventing water charges.
    ???
    As already alluded to, it is stupid stupid actions like yours that reinforce the need for metered water charges.
    I do have a problem with paying charges while not metered because I'll be paying the same as idiots who run taps in protest.

Consider this:
    Water was paid for from general taxation.
    Now, it is paid for by the consumer.
    This frees up the money to pay for other services and people are charged for water based on what they use.
    Simple.

Ludo wrote: »
    Three pages into the thread and I am still looking for the relevance to Cork City.

The water charges affect us all. Cork City sadly, isn't exempt! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Y
    Consider this:
    Water was paid for from general taxation.
    Now, it is paid for by the consumer.
    This frees up the money to pay for other services and people are charged for water based on what they use.
    Simple.

It is anything but that simple!!!

IF the government came out and said AND PROMISED that ALL the money from general taxation which currently pays for water is fully being transferred to the health service, education, roads or ANYTHING else useful then I would be all for it.
    I will pay it anyway as there is no getting out of it...but have they done that? Or is the money going to pay off the borrowing due to the behaviour of the banks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Ludo wrote: »
    it was set up with that intention,but you know yourself these things always become broader when it is a nationwide problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Why don't you ask the people of uzbekistan? They are the only other country in the world that provide water without charges.

If you don't want it, go disconnect yourself, use your grey water for washing and pay 1 euro per litre down in centra for drinking water.

I'll still prefer paying 2.44 for 1000 litres of drinking water here.... After I've used up my 72,000 litre allowance first of course. My rainwater tanks are filling right now, so it should take a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

As I'm 'the Occupier' in a block of apts, I'm going to ignore it for now and see what their next move is.

Not too keen about giving money to a quango type body who seem to make a balls of everything they do.

I just got mine today! I'll be sending it back on Monday.

Malari wrote: »
    I just got mine today! I'll be sending it back on Monday.

Filled out or unopened?

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    Filled out or unopened?

Filled out. I must ring them first though, as it's a house I've just bought but we won't be moving in for several months.

Malari wrote: »
    Filled out. I must ring them first though, as it's a house I've just bought but we won't be moving in for several months.

Don't forget your PPS number, they ain't getting any feckin details from me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Not filling out forms, Not giving my PPS number.

Not paying any water bills.

Not so long ago Brendan Howlin said we would not be paying water charges and that it would be impossible to meter the whole country.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/elections/confusion-as-gilmore-makes-uturn-on-water-charges-plan-26706237.html
    Labour TD Brendan Howlin backed comments by Mr Gilmore yesterday that the party would not support the installation of water meters in the next government.

"We are not in favour of water charges, we don't believe in a flat rate and you couldn't meter everybody within years," he said.]

Now hes singing a different tune.

Labour Politicians are dirty manipulative liars FACT!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

I've no problem paying €350 (aprox) for water if my persional income tax is reduced by €350.

The point been fairly obvious.
    We already and always have paid for it.

I'm only looking for a fairer system.

If I use a lot of water I should pay more.
    If I use less then I should pay less.

But lets see the average charge of what they normally take off us in our income tax been dropped.

The figure of €350 is only used as an example for putting my pint across.

• Advertisement

mikeym wrote: »
    Not filling out forms, Not giving my PPS number.

Not paying any water bills.

Not so long ago Brendan Howlin said we would not be paying water charges and that it would be impossible to meter the whole country.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/elections/confusion-as-gilmore-makes-uturn-on-water-charges-plan-26706237.html

Now hes singing a different tune.

Labour Politicians are dirty manipulative liars FACT!!!!

Not just Labour, my friend. ALL politicians lie like rugs...

Not just Labour, my friend. ALL politicians lie like rugs...

I look forward to their silly excuses for election 2016

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,947 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

You can put your dummy back now, and try to come up with something more cogent.

The charges are coming. I don't like it any more than you do. Especially as so much water is wasted through leaks, and the quality isn't great. Ireland is supposed to be a First World country. Yet - there are great swathes of people in this country who still have to boil the ******* water before they can drink it. But IW have the barefaced cheek to attempt to charge these people. I have no problem paying for water - Being English, this is nothing new. What I do have a problem with is the way the charges are being brought in with no apparent attempt to have plans in place to upgrade the infrastructure or to assure the quality of the supply.

Neither do I want a repeat of what happened to me and 000's more in the Northside of the city in 2009 and 2010 when the supply was cut off for days at a time, through incompetence, complacency and rank stupidity. That couldn't happen in the UK - The water companies know that if the water's cut off for more than four hours and it's their fault compensation has to be paid. I don't see any of that here...

Dunno where you are getting your info but IW are not charging people on boil notices, and AFAIK have some big plans to upgrade the infrastructure as we have some serious leak issues..

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Dunno where you are getting your info but IW are not charging people on boil notices, and AFAIK have some big plans to upgrade the infrastructure as we have some serious leak issues..

Perhaps you should have read my post again. I wrote that IW ATTEMPTED to charge those under boil notices, and only backed off under political pressure.

Fixing the leaks and upgrading the badly neglected infrastructure should be a priority, but I have seen no plans for this as yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mcdude

another poorly planned approach. management cant get so stupid!!!
    I have not received a form, (not sure at all that I will get one ...) and I thought that i need a little pressure on them and phoned.
    girl on the other side said that you should not worry that the pack will come in the week, maybe, and if will not come, I'll have to call them and they will come up with something .
    LOL. another issue with unprofessional staff???

I explained to her what is the problem - I wanted to fill in an application form on the website, online, BUT! there i need to enter an application and pin numbers, that are printed on the paper form, OMG!!!
    then I just said - let's do it now quickly, i tell you the address, you tell me the numbers, and thats it.

THERE IS NO WAY YOU CAN DO THIS!

she said that those numbers only printed on paper, and she can not see them.

why so complicate things ???

in Electric Ireland, ESB, told me all of the data in 5 seconds ...

IW just wasted money for this operation, for untrained and useless staff, for website development, printing all these applications on paper, and a lot more...

i will try to call them again, i think there must be one who knows how to deal with it...

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

Haven't received one, don't want one, and reckon all staff & owners of Irish Water, along with their political cronies, should be facing jail for life (with a burial plot on the exercise yard) for treason.

Of course, I tend to hold that to be the appropriate manner of response for all politicians, door-to-door anything, cyclists who run red lights and anyone driving faster than me on the M50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

How do the people who are not registering feel about having to pay double the rate of people that do?

54kroc wrote: »
    How do the people who are not registering feel about having to pay double the rate of people that do?

That is no going to happen bud do you know the difference between an empty treatment when you see one .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

That is no going to happen bud do you know the difference between an empty treatment when you see one .

Good luck with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,032 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The difference between an empty treatment and what?????

Or even the difference between an empty threat and what?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement