Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof window options - Velux / Fakro

Options
  • 01-10-2014 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

Our builder has asked us to consider whether we want to go with Velux or Fakro roof windows.

I'd appreciate any feedback on either or reasons to choose one over the other.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

you might as well also consider rooflite and keylite, might be some savings if you need alot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Just looking to see if anyone has any further thoughts on this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

The main difference is in the opening mechanism. Velux have the bar whereas the remainder (Open to correction on rooflite) have turn handles. Velux also have alot of accessories in terms of blinds etc that not all the others have. Other than that I dont see any real difference. Velux will always be the more expensive option as the market leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Velux are a superior product to everything else on the market. I've fitted hundreds of rooflights and always found the velux products are made of better materials, fit better, the flashings are heavier and folded better and generally better all round. In saying that I've fitted others too and never had a leak but if it was my own house I wouldnt fit anything other than Velux.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Velux are a superior product to everything else on the market. I've fitted hundreds of rooflights and always found the velux products are made of better materials, fit better, the flashings are heavier and folded better and generally better all round. In saying that I've fitted others too and never had a leak but if it was my own house I wouldnt fit anything other than Velux.

I'm interested to know how many clients/ architects give you air-tightness & thermal continuous details to help with install?

• Advertisement
Advertisement