Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home insurance policy - 3 lever deadlock device

Options
  • 01-10-2014 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

In the process of finding house insurance for a new house. Aviva are coming in the cheapest by far, however it states:

1)All external/outside doors must be locked using a manufacturer approved minimum three lever deadlock device
    2)All sliding doors must be locked using key-operated patio door locks

The front door and the back door have three bolt deadlocks. However there is also a patio door and that only has one bolt and not the minimum three lever deadlock device. Therefore I take it that I cannot avail of this insurance?

I don't know the manufactorer of the patio door so don't know what they approve as a three lever deadlock device. How do I go about sorting this? Can another two deadlocks be added to the patio door and this would allow me to avail of this policy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Lock replacement is your only answer. It would not be sufficient to add additional 2 lever devices or bolts (bolts do not prevent a person inside your house from opening the door, allowing them better exit with your larger stuff)

Any reasonable locksmith will replace them for you and they don't have to be manufacturer specific

BTW, just to clarify but you mention a 3 bolt deadlock. The lever refers to the internal mechanism of an individual lock, not the number of points where the bolt enters the frame of the door

Advertisement