Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time on state of Dublin City Center tomorrow night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

hfallada wrote: »
    The phone boxes were removed on from that on corner and the garda have been forcing people to move on. If you have been in the city for the last 4 months you would have seen that

What's a phone box? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

What's a phone box? ;)

When someone hits you a box and takes your phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

The phone boxes were removed on from that on corner and the garda have been forcing people to move on. If you have been in the city for the last 4 months you would have seen that

I walk by there every day. I know what im talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Two claims: one, that our current approach isn't working, and two, that the city centre is overrun with addicts. I'd class the second of those as wild hyperbole,

Are you actually serious? It's like the walking dead in Dublin City at the minute. Junkies absolutely everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Well, that was awful.

Also, worst joke ever.

TripAdvisor, you know, the guy was on a trip (or whatever he said)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

You suggest I'm a moron. Yet you fail to realise that this country currently treats every crime as a combined medical, mental health and social problem. It's basic stuff. :rolleyes: I'm suggesting we start treating criminals as crimimals and not potential candidates for social rehabilitation. The nicey nicey approach, which has been employed for the last 40 odd years isn't working. The Country is infested with scum as a result of what you're advocating which in fact has been the approach for so long. :rolleyes:

Wow, I think you won the twin competitions for the most use of the word "scum" in posts, and also the most simplistic analysis of a quite complex problem.

I had a neighbour who died from a heroin overdose. She wasn't scum. She was a nice girl, and by all accounts, a wonderful friend, sister, daughter etc. She had issues, and she paid a terrible price for them, but she certainly wasn't scum.

As for the rest of your comments- you think it's a good idea to prevent prisoners having access to books? That really is moronic. Because everyone knows education is a bad thing, the policy of PC liberalism gone mad. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

The show is weak enough tonight in my opinion, nothing new relating to drug use in Dublin. Shock, horror there is aggressive begging in Dublin. Again house prices are rising, who would have known?

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mikekerry

joe costello - "we are reviewing the situation"!
    if only joe's situation could be reviewed, a man who does not have a single clue to his name

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Johngoose wrote: »
    The show is weak enough tonight in my opinion, nothing new relating to drug use in Dublin.

As predicted. I thought the activist's comments about the piece seeming like a piece that could have been done in the early 90's or mid 80's was quite telling.

Oh look, just seen on on Prime Time exactly the area on Westmoreland St I was talking about. Stop denying the problems and open your eyes and maybe our capital will become a better place.

Stop trying to be a smart arse and so ignorant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I saw a girl injecting her boyfriend on Mary Street on 7pm, no attempt to hide it. It was really quite bewildering because out the say 30/40 people around, all any of us did was stare.

Lately, if anyone approaches me asking me for money, I look them right in the eye and say 'f**k off'. The decent ones take it like they should, but some get all offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

GinnyR wrote: »
    What utter b*llocks. Sure just move the problem out of sight & create ghetto areas like the outskirts of Paris. The issues around social deprivation & drugs etc needs a holistic approach.

No... the problem won't go away because people will always be knackers and will always breed knackers. But at least allow the law abiding, tax paying, good people of Dublin to develop the city into something great without their city centre in without being surrounded by scum, junkies and freeloaders.

Oh look, just seen on on Prime Time exactly the area on Westmoreland St I was talking about. Stop denying the problems and open your eyes and maybe our capital will become a better place.

People out of their head on whatever substance in the city centre in the middle of the day,should be banged up in a holding cell.Aggressive beggars should similarly be arrested in Dublin City.In the very least O' Connell street should be a zero tolerance area for anti-social behaviour.Junkies would get the message after a fortnight,if there was proper policing.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

ror_74 wrote: »
    To all those who advocate a ' tough ' solution to the problem - have you considered what type of society we would be, if we tolerated treating people that way? I wouldn't want to live here.

But its ok for the people paid to uphold the law of the land to be "tough" on people who peacefully protest. This society you speak of is already broken. Money thats all our leaders care about and if leaving a few undesirables in the city to roam Will save some money well that's what will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I walked by it yesterday and the phone boxes are gone and the Gardai were grilling any shady individual on why they were on the corner. Walk by it tomorrow and you will see what I mean.

It was started by this policy

http://www.thejournal.ie/gardai-oconnell-st-1293577-Jan2014/

I walked by it yesterday and the phone boxes are gone and the Gardai were grilling any shady individual on why they were on the corner. Walk by it tomorrow and you will see what I mean.

That seems like an admirable campaign to target anti-social behaviour.I do hope the gardai continue with such a crackdown.The article was dated January,so it would be interesting to know was that campaign continued?

As for people who wouldn't like to see Junkies being targeted by Gardai,let's be real here... Junkies would rob there own grandmother for a fix,not to mind somebody they've never met.Ive yet to meet a "cuddly, misunderstood and likeable junkie." I do feel sorry for them on one level,but their addiction makes them highly dangerous.

The Gardai are definitely not there most of the time judging by the undesirables that are there most days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Birneybau wrote: »
    Well, that was awful.

Also, worst joke ever.

TripAdvisor, you know, the guy was on a trip (or whatever he said)

dude "that's exactly what it was"
    [Silence][awkward looks]
    dude "ye know a trip"
    [Silence][awkward looks]
    dude "he was tripping"
    [Silence][awkward looks]
    MOC "drone drone drone blah"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

All what was shown on Prime Time this evening will be shown in a more entertaining format on Sunday night at 9.30 !!!

alastair wrote: »
    Judging from the programme synopsis, there's going to be very little new reported. If the revelation that there's trade in benzos, which aren't proscribed, is the new insight, then Primetime are a little behind the times.

You were dead right about what was to be expected in the show.It was "lazy" journalism masquerading as "ground-breaking" journalism.Every topical box was ticked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Johngoose wrote: »
    As for people who wouldn't like to see Junkies being targeted by Gardai,let's be real here... Junkies would rob there own grandmother for a fix,not to mind somebody they've never met.Ive yet to meet a "cuddly, misunderstood and likeable junkie." I do feel sorry for them on one level,but their addiction makes them highly dangerous.

Anybody caught with illegal drugs should be locked up for a couple of years minimum. That would sort out the problem fairly quickly.

But we have a situation were people openly sell drugs in Dublin city centre and nothing gets done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Giruilla wrote: »
    Why are people saying the clinics should be 'moved'??

They've clearly been shown to be a failure.

They should be closed and those who persist in illegal drug abuse immediately thrown in prison.
    Why not skip all that expense and go straight to the camps? There would be a lot of job opportunities for people like... who, exactly?
    Dublin could be one of the nicest cities in Europe if the filth was taken out of the city centre. The abundance of council housing everywhere in the inner city is a disgrace, Joe!
    FYP. Text 51551 and see if you get close to getting on the air.

There is a load of room inside the Ballymun M50 roundabout since the last evacuation. Would that work for you, or would you prefer somewhere offshore, with airdrops only?

Not your ornery onager

Lux23 wrote: »
    I saw a girl injecting her boyfriend on Mary Street on 7pm, no attempt to hide it. It was really quite bewildering because out the say 30/40 people around, all any of us did was stare.
    What exactly should those bystanders have done? What could they (or you) have done, realistically - apart from posting the video online, maybe?

Walking on does not mean that you do not care. If I see someone (anyone) badly injured (enough to need assistance) I either intervene (if I think I can help, without putting myself in danger), or I call an ambulance.

Not your ornery onager

I have met a few people who have recovered from long-term addiction to street heroin. They are the few, very lucky/plucky, ones.

My understanding (not from them) is that opiate addiction does not have to equate to gradual degradation. An addict with regular access to pharmaceutical-grade diamorphine, or other strong opiates, and a sterile method of administration, can live a long, healthy and productive life.

Opiate addicts (i.e. people) whose drugs come from the street are exposed to adulterants (including other drugs, brick dust, anything really), and random strength of the opiate. Apart from that, they do not/did not have total access to fresh syringes/needles, and therefore will (because of their addiction) use dirty/used syringes/needles. They do not, in dire need, consider the possible consequences. When they are on that helter-skelter, they cannot just stop and get off.

abl/dr Be totally aware in the city/town. Keep your phone out of view; you can focus on the screen later - somewhere safe. Stay attentive, don't make eye contact, don't allow yourself to be distracted, keep moving. If you are static (bus stop, waiting for a lift etc.), also stay attentive.Do not make eye contact, do not allow yourself to be distracted. If necessary, move away. Do not engage. Move back quickly to where you want to be, if safe to do so.

tl/dr Do not make eye contact; do not engage; move away (or keep moving) as appropriate. Sometimes, moving means running (or at least walking fast). Last resort, if you can do it without breaking your stride, throw a few high-value coins behind - and keep moving.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Why not skip all that expense and go straight to the camps? There would be a lot of job opportunities for people like... who, exactly?

FYP. Text 51551 and see if you get close to getting on the air.

There is a load of room inside the Ballymun M50 roundabout since the last evacuation. Would that work for you, or would you prefer somewhere offshore, with airdrops only?

The hilarity. This is the type of response you get in Ireland at any suggestion of what the real problems in the city are. "Oh you can't discriminate against knackers.. they deserve to have the same quality of living as everyone else".

Could you imagine how nice a city Dublin would be without knackers??

Could you imagine how nice a city Dublin would be without knackers??

And, seemingly, council houses. I think we get your story.

alastair wrote: »
    And, seemingly, council houses. I think we get your story.

Yes. Or at the very least council housing 100% populated with law abiding citizens. Theres a reason most people in Dublin would never walk through an inner city council estate area at night.

• Advertisement

Yes. Or at the very least council housing 100% populated with law abiding citizens. Theres a reason most people in Dublin would never walk through an inner city council estate area at night.

There sure is - fear of working class people. Now tell me - which nice leafy suburban estates are 100% populated with law abiding citizens? 'Cause this sounds like quite the heap of hypocrisy and double standards to me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement