Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time on state of Dublin City Center tomorrow night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

alastair wrote: »
    There sure is - fear of working class people. Now tell me - which nice leafy suburban estates are 100% populated with law abiding citizens? 'Cause this sounds like quite the heap of hypocrisy and double standards to me.

Fear of working class people?? You have to be working first to be called that!

My point is Dublin city centre should be developed as the pinnacle of our society. Somewhere everyone in Ireland is proud of as a place to travel to and to show the world. A centre of business and shopping. Where entrepeneurs can feel safe to open new businesses. Somewhere without f*cking horrendous methadone clinics. A place where people would strive for and love to live in. Now nobody wants to live in the inner city execpt for extremely specific 'safe' areas. Especially the case on the north side.
    Nobody should be living for free in the city centre. Especially not live for free whilst contributing to anti-social behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Giruilla wrote: »
    Fear of working class people?? You have to be working first to be called that!
    -
    Nobody should be living for free in the city centre. Especially not live for free whilst contributing to anti-social behavior.

You think council housing is free? You think council housing is only for the unemployed? You have some pretty strange, and misguided, notions on the go there. There's lots of us who do love living in the city centre btw - all that's required is to ditch irrational fears, and focus your attention on the actual problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

alastair wrote: »
    You think council housing is free? You think council housing is only for the unemployed? You have some pretty strange, and misguided, notions on the go there. There's lots of us who do love living in the city centre btw - all that's required is to ditch irrational fears, and focus your attention on the actual problems.

Arguing against the obvious does nothing to assist the credibility of your points Alister.

By all means keep your own head in the sand - but in all fairness, let the rest of us judge the situation in Dublin based on our own observations and experience.

The city - like most urban areas in Ireland is a dangerous Sh*thole... and its very unfortunate because it is the Irish capital - it's our city, and it's out of control and downright embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Arguing against the obvious does nothing to assist the credibility of your points Alister.

By all means keep your own head in the sand - but in all fairness, let the rest of us judge the situation in Dublin based on our own observations and experience.

The city - like most urban areas in Ireland is a dangerous Sh*thole... and its very unfortunate because it is the Irish capital - it's our city, and it's out of control and downright embarrassing.

Who's the rest of us horse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Most urban areas in Ireland are dangerous Sh*tholes?

That is some impressive hyperbole! Was it* better when you were a kid? No anti-social behaviour? Everyone nice and friendlly?

* it obviously means every urban area in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

A few cranks on the internet doesnt really count as "the rest of us" matey. Do you live in the city?

The only obvious aspect of your posts have been their wrongheadedness. If you manage to come up with a valid point, I'll let you know.
    I'm not the one with my head in the sand. I've lived in the north inner city for years. You clearly just don't know what you're talking about. Here's a clue - if you equate living in social housing with being a 'knacker', you really need to look into the mirror for the real issue.
    Parts are a bit of a ****hole alright, but it's not a dangerous place - unless you mix up fear of tracksuits and flats with actual danger.

Now nobody wants to live in the inner city execpt for extremely specific 'safe' areas.
    That must be why rents are falling all over the city. Oh wait...

Cool... ignore the obvious. :pac: :rolleyes: As usual.

Cool... ignore the obvious. :pac: :rolleyes: As usual.

The problem is its not obvious to us. There are issues in the city, as there have been in every city Ive lived in. The hysterical nonsense on here is frankly embarrassing though.

• Advertisement

Now nobody wants to live in the inner city execpt for extremely specific 'safe' areas. Especially the case on the north side.

Could you tell me when people wanted to live in the inner city? Was it in the 90s? The 80s? The 70s? Before when it was actual slums? Exactly when was this golden era of the inner city?

drumswan wrote: »
    That must be why rents are falling all over the city. Oh wait...

Oh wait what? How about rents are rising in the city centre because of the abundance of social housing all over the city leaving only specific areas people want to live in, and rent allowances bumping up the minimum price of close to unlivable sh*tholes?

reprazant wrote: »
    Could you tell me when people wanted to live in the inner city? Was it in the 90s? The 80s? The 70s? Before when it was actual slums? Exactly when was this golden era of the inner city?

Where did I say there was a golden era? I'm an advocate to make one. Saying 'now' refers to the current state of Dublin city.

Where did I say there was a golden era? I'm an advocate to make one. Saying 'now' refers to the current state of Dublin city.

Do you live in the city?

When you said 'Now nobody wants to live in the inner city', it implies that at some stage everyone wanted to live there. Which has never happened. If anything, there is far more people living in the inner city now not in social housing then even before.

I am ignoring your reasoning as to the rising of rents in Dublin as it is so hilarious wrong, I am not sure where to start. Obviously a large social housing element in D4 where the rents are rising as well.

The inner-city is a joke. Junkies everywhere, people regularly being stabbed or viciously beaten on the streets (often in broad daylight) by - yes you guessed it - knackers - with no consideration for other people, nor no fear of consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

Let me just say, as a politician in the Dail, I don't go anywhere near O'Connell St so I couldn't give a flying fukc what you plebs have to deal with. I divide my time between the Dail bar, Doheny & Nesbitts, The 4 Seasons, The K-Club & my local bar down in the bog county. Now stop complaining and get back to giving us 65% of your money (through various stealth taxes), so we can award ourselves lavish index-linked pensions for life (after only a 4 year term) and throw the rest at the public sector and unionised voting blocks to buy their votes for the next election.

Oh wait what? How about rents are rising in the city centre because of the abundance of social housing all over the city leaving only specific areas people want to live in, and rent allowances bumping up the minimum price of close to unlivable sh*tholes?
    The abundance of social housing eh? And what percentage of housing in the inner city is social housing? 20% is the actual figure. Leaving only 80% of private housing stock for people to live in.

Rent allowances are available nationally - no distinction there.

kuntboy wrote: »
    Let me just say, as a politician in the Dail, I don't go anywhere near O'Connell St so I couldn't give a flying fukc what you plebs have to deal with. I divide my time between the Dail bar, Doheny & Nesbitts, The 4 Seasons, The K-Club & my local bar down in the bog county. Now stop complaining and get back to giving us 65% of your money (through various stealth taxes), so we can award ourselves lavish index-linked pensions for life (after only a 4 year term) and throw the rest at the public sector and unionised voting blocks to buy their votes for the next election.

I'll vote for you if you give me a lollipop! :P Or if you don't have a lollipop - telling me things will change will also do.

The inner-city is a joke. Junkies everywhere, people regularly being stabbed or viciously beaten on the streets (often in broad daylight) by - yes you guessed it - knackers - with no consideration for other people, nor no fear of consequences.

Regular stabbings you say? And where are these considerate beatings to be found? They sound much more appealing than the uncouth inconsiderate kind.

• Advertisement

Of course as we're all aware the problem isn't isolated to Dublin.

I've lived in all three of Ireland's main cities.

Ironically, it's Limerick City which is by far and away the safest - I suspect simply because of its size.

Walking around Cork City in the late night/early morning is absolute madness, particularly at the weekends (unlike Dublin - the weekdays are understandable relatively quieter due to the cities respective sizes ) - the place is awash with knacker's randomly attacking people. Again no consideration, and no consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Urban regeneration is not new builds though. It's ensuring that what is there is being utilised which does not happen in Dublin at all. Sure one of our grandest streets in the city is used to house ****ty hostels and squats.

The Parnell Square project is not a great example tbh. What I'm saying is that the council needs to ensure that poorly utilised areas are given special status and zoning (etc) to ensure revitalisation.

Are talking about Gardiner street?

Of course as we're all aware the problem isn't isolated to Dublin.

I've lived in all three of Ireland's main cities.

Ironically, it's Limerick City which is by far and away the safest - I suspect simply because of its size.

Walking around Cork City in the late night/early morning is absolute madness, particularly at the weekends (unlike Dublin - the weekdays are understandable relatively quieter due to the cities respective sizes ) - the place is awash with knacker's randomly attacking people. Again no consideration, and no consequences.
    It sounds like you'd be best off just finding a nice field somewhere, because even small towns have been known to get a bit frisky of a weekend night. Arable, rather than dairy, of course, just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

kuntboy wrote: »
    Let me just say, as a politician in the Dail, I don't go anywhere near O'Connell St so I couldn't give a flying fukc what you plebs have to deal with.

Mod note: such attacking of posters is not acceptable here, warning issued and don't post in this thread again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Peter Anthony

It's a complete disgrace and is going steadily worse as the months go by. One of the main problems is evident in this thread posters like Alastair and Drumswan putting their hands over their ears pretending it isn't happening and mocking and belittling posters expressing their concerns.

What a surprise the poster Alastair is an ardent supporter and member of Fianna Gael. It's completely obvious to everyone but them, but guaranteed him and his ilk don't have to deal with the chaos in the City Centre every day. It's those with vested interests trying to hush the problem and pretend it isn't there.

Why not give your opinion that the City Centre is safe and move on?? Why do you 2 have to bombard these threads belittling the issue and mocking any poster that gives a bad view of the City Centre??? It's pathetic and typical of this country, no wonder Dublin CC is the kip it is because so many like yous enable this behaviour and accept it.

Understand that most people do not want to accept it!

What a surprise the poster Alastair is an ardent supporter and member of Fianna Gael. It's completely obvious to everyone but them, but guaranteed him and his ilk don't have to deal with the chaos in the City Centre every day.

This snippet pretty much sums up how well you've been paying attention. I've never voted for FG in my life, let alone had membership. I also live in the city centre. But do carry on...

What a surprise the poster Alastair is an ardent supporter and member of Fianna Gael. It's completely obvious to everyone but them, but guaranteed him and his ilk don't have to deal with the chaos in the City Centre every day. It's those with vested interests trying to hush the problem and pretend it isn't there.
    Conspiracy theories forum is that way -->

Do you live in the city?

I'm with Peter - we don't want to, nor do we have to accept the situation.

We just need to change our attitude toward it from that of passive acceptance and willful ignorance, to an attitude of active pursuit of a solution that prioritises the honest hard-working people, and victims over the criminals and junkies.

A policy need to be adopted that stops treating violent criminals and drug-addicts as a social puzzle to the detriment of our "actual" society.

Let the impotent and ineffectual support groups, and "interventionists" have their go again once the mess has been cleaned up.

In the meantime we need stop supporting or feeding the malignancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It's a complete disgrace and is going steadily worse as the months go by. One of the main problems is evident in this thread posters like Alastair and Drumswan putting their hands over their ears pretending it isn't happening and mocking and belittling posters expressing their concerns.

Why not give your opinion that the City Centre is safe and move on?? Why do you 2 have to bombard these threads belittling the issue and mocking any poster that gives a bad view of the City Centre??? It's pathetic and typical of this country, no wonder Dublin CC is the kip it is because so many like yous enable this behaviour and accept it.

Mod note: the post above yours clearly states the position on attacking posters, don't post in this thread again unless you can refrain from doing that.

• Advertisement

A policy need to be adopted that stops treating violent criminals and drug-addicts as a social puzzle to the detriment of our "actual" society.

I'm not sure you're clear on what society 'actually' means.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement