Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time on state of Dublin City Center tomorrow night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

reprazant wrote: »
    I am ignoring your reasoning as to the rising of rents in Dublin as it is so hilarious wrong, I am not sure where to start. Obviously a large social housing element in D4 where the rents are rising as well.

You are agreeing with my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'm with Peter - we don't want to, nor do we have to accept the situation.

So I'll ask again horse, who's the "we" here? Are you royalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Giruilla wrote: »
    You are agreeing with my point.

I think irony is a bit lost on you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 454 ✭✭Peter Anthony

drumswan wrote: »
    Conspiracy theories forum is that way -->

Do you live in the city?

I used to a few months back but the City Centre is a 3rd World place with Monaco prices. And its gradually getting worse, I thought it was bad in 2013 but 2014 takes the biscuit.

Would anyone shouting down the critics feel safe letting their Mother or younger sister walk down Talbot St, O Connell St, Abbey St, Dame St etc alone?? It's actually as bad in daytime but when darkness falls its a different danger around.

If you would feel safe doing so, then more power to you, 90% of people would be wary and that isnt good enough for the main thoroughfares of the capital city.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Would anyone shouting down the critics feel safe letting their Mother or younger sister walk down Talbot St, O Connell St, Abbey St, Dame St etc alone?? It's actually as bad in daytime but when darkness falls its a different danger around.

If you would feel safe doing so, than power to you, 90% of people would be wary and that isnt good enough for the main thoroughfares of the capital city.

90% you say? Did you do that survey?

It's weird but I keep seeing lots of women walking down these streets, night and day. Kinda blows the arse out of the statistic horse.

Maybe I don't actually live in the alternate dublin some people do.

• Advertisement

In darkness? Really.
    They have streetlights now.
    Fair play if so, sadly many people know from experience it is not safe for vulnerable people.
    Except that they are, the odd exception allowed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭GinnyR

I used to a few months back but the City Centre is a 3rd World place with Monaco prices. And its gradually getting worse, I thought it was bad in 2013 but 2014 takes the biscuit.

If you would feel safe doing so, then more power to you, 90% of people would be wary and that isnt good enough for the main thoroughfares of the capital city.

I think most people (women especially) feel an increased risk walking anywhere in the dark/night time. However (personally speaking) I have walked through various parts of Dublins inner city at night & not felt overly afraid. As with all towns & cities you just need to be a little street wise & keep your wits about you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭titchy

When you have people with 50 or 60 previous convictions walking free there is clearly something seriously wrong.
    If I were a Guard I think I'de feel like I was pissing against the wind bringing the same people in front of a judge 60 times (probably for committing very similar crimes)! Thats the road to mind numbing, ground hog day, depression I'de imagine:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mod note: if you have a problem with moderation feel free to send a PM but keep it off thread. Likewise if you have a problem with a post, use the report post function.

As for the rights and wrongs of each side of the argument, no side has any monopoly on those as there are various valid personal opinions and experiences on both sides. Please keep that in mind when discussing (and disagreeing) the topic and keep it civil. Tx.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

mikekerry wrote: »
    joe costello - "we are reviewing the situation"!
    if only joe's situation could be reviewed, a man who does not have a single clue to his name
    How does that man dress himself in the morning? He can barely string a sentence together and looks/speaks like he just took a handful of horse tranquillisers. Seriously, the intellect of our elected representatives is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭no money honey

The last time I was on Abbey street with 2 minutes of walking the street, feral children raided the Super Valu while down the street others were launching rocks across the street at passers by. Around rush hour time so many workers were going home, a man in a suit up the street from me was hit in the face with a rock and knocked down. A few people helped him he looked like he needed hospital treatment and was lucky not to be blinded. He hurried off down a by street.

All the while beside the youngsters throwing rocks, were a large group which appeared to be the parents in a pub across the street pissed drunk looking on laughing and congratulating the kids. This is what your dealing with everyday.

I have rarely been back their since only on and off the Luas. An absolute kip of a street if there was ever one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Where is the supervalu on Abbey street? Do you mean Talbot street?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

have read the first page or two, Dublin city economically and from a tourism perspective, in addition to what we spend there generates tens of billions annually, what is the problem with spending a few million more on policing? We can afford to and do waste billions here every year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

alastair wrote: »
    I think irony is a bit lost on you.

You don't understand irony or why I said he was agreeing with me.

Giruilla wrote: »
    You don't understand irony or why I said he was agreeing with me.

Spell it out then, because by my reading, you're missing the point entirely.

Where is the supervalu on Abbey street? Do you mean Talbot street?

It's possibly a Londis, I tried looking on google maps there but strangely abbey street doesnt show up fully. Its when walking down from O Connell St, one of the main shops on the left hand side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Jumboman wrote: »
    Anybody caught with illegal drugs should be locked up for a couple of years minimum. That would sort out the problem fairly quickly.

Well that's just a moronic suggestion.

If everyone on illegal drugs was locked up for a few years we'd need to build 20 prisons.

This banana republic doesn't even know how to house normal citizens nevermind thousands of additional criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,734 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

reprazant wrote: »
    When you said 'Now nobody wants to live in the inner city', it implies that at some stage everyone wanted to live there. Which has never happened. If anything, there is far more people living in the inner city now not in social housing then even before.

I am ignoring your reasoning as to the rising of rents in Dublin as it is so hilarious wrong, I am not sure where to start. Obviously a large social housing element in D4 where the rents are rising as well.

There already is quite a bit of social housing in D4 - in Donnybrook (believe it or not), Ringsend and Irishtown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

lxflyer wrote: »
    There already is quite a bit of social housing in D4 - in Donnybrook (believe it or not), Ringsend and Irishtown.

There is Ringsend, a block of flats in Irishtown and the Beech Hill estate by the bus station in Donnybrook. Only a tiny fraction of D4 and nothing to do with the rising of the rents in D4 as, other than Irishtown, most people renting around there don't want to live in Ringsend or Beech Hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Interestingly, though I suppose unsurprisingly, a short search here shows that this debate/discussion is largely (albeit more contemporary) repetition of earlier discussions on this forum.

For example here's 3 such threads from 2012:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76787840#post76787840

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056628031

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056549141

I'm sure there are probably many many more such similar topics. Has anything changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭woysworld

I was in Capel Street this afternoon about 4.30. I saw a guy hunched down in the entrance of The Spar shop shooting up....

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

I've been to cities all over the world Liverpool Manchester Melbourne and New York and the only place i was ever attacked on the street in was Dublin.I think Dublin is a very poorly policed city and it's full of thugs who have free reign to do as they want.Whether people agree or disagree i don't care but large parts of Dublin city centre are not pleasant or desirable places to spend time in

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭GinnyR

I've been to cities all over the world Liverpool Manchester Melbourne and New York and the only place i was ever attacked on the street in was Dublin.I think Dublin is a very poorly policed city and it's full of thugs who have free reign to do as they want.Whether people agree or disagree i don't care but large parts of Dublin city centre are not pleasant or desirable places to spend time in

Coincidence maybe? I've been hassled in Barcelona (had my bag snatched) & saw some God awful sights of junkies in Birmingham, wolverhanpton & Liverpool. By comparison dublin has always been relatively hassle free.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

GinnyR wrote: »
    Coincidence maybe? I've been hassled in Barcelona (had my bag snatched) & saw some God awful sights of junkies in Birmingham, wolverhanpton & Liverpool. By comparison dublin has always been relatively hassle free.

Well i just offered my opinion based on my own experiences take it or leave it.Liverpool city centre for example is not taken over by thugs and drug addicts to the extent that Dublin city centre is.It's much better policed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

GinnyR wrote: »

Maybe coincidence the opposite direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

woysworld wrote: »
    I was in Capel Street this afternoon about 4.30. I saw a guy hunched down in the entrance of The Spar shop shooting up....
    and... what? :confused:

You saw a small slice of life in the raw, on the street. Behind closed doors is where shit really happens. If it looks bad in the open, imagine how bad it is back there - behind that closed door.

There are very many closed doors, and they are everywhere - not just in the city, and not just where you might think. That closed door might be next door, or just up the road.

Tonight, I was asked for spare change outside a shop I stopped at. The guy stood in the rain. I said no, and walked on in. When I came back out, he said 'See you.. ' or something like that. I replied 'See you, pal... ' (or something like that). Now, he didn't threaten me; it was probably his regular station. If it works for him, good luck to him. I just hope that no one else was suffering behind his home door.

tl/dr Give money to Simon, or the SVdeP etc. Giving to a 'beggar' on the street might make you feel happy/good, but realise that you are enabling, not helping.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Took the kids in to temple bar to Milano's last thursday night for a treat.

Walking down there was depressing - beggars everywhere, fairly aggressive too. Got down to Milano's and found it was closed for renovations. No problem we'll go somewhere else. Nice little band busking and playing some good music. Youngest one stops to look at them. Literallty seconds later a gurrier threw a beer bottle at them and missed my youngest by inches - hit the drummer on the shoulder. The drummer shouts "What the hell man"....the reply "ah f*ck off, ye're nothing but a bunch of w*nkers"...walks off laughing to himself.

I work in town a lot on shop and office fit outs....there are a huge amount of junkies, homeless and beggars who roam about intimidating ordinary people going about their business. We've had tools stolen by junkies, a gurrier smashed a load of glass panels outside a job one morning, watched junkies shoot up outside the job then throw the needles on the ground like sweet wrappers.

Can't blame the garda - they are under resourced and when they do arrest these idiots, they are back on the street the next day (well done to the judges who listen to the sob stories).

I wonder what image the tourists that visit, paint when they get home?

mfceiling wrote: »
    I wonder what image the tourists that visit, paint when they get home?

As a snapshot of what tourists actually think about Temple Bar, Tripadvisor is a good indicator:

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g186605-d188821-Reviews-Temple_Bar-Dublin_County_Dublin.html

Strangely, despite awareness of the price-gouging, and tourist-trappery of the place, it's remarkably well received (no accounting for tastes), with little comment on anti-social activity.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Well that's just a moronic suggestion.

How is it ? china does it and they dont have a drug problem anything like we have.

If you tolerate drug dealing the problem is only going to get bigger and bigger.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement