Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black stereotypes

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭wiseoldelf34

i ain't rayciss suhr i haz me a colour tv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    I see black people

Not at night

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭miss tickle

KungPao wrote: »
    Is that why I see so many rotund Irish girls with black lads?

Are you not kinda stereotyping both black lads and rotund Irish girls, by suggesting that both might be possibly mutually attracted to each other?

cruais wrote: »
    Ever hear of the phrase

'Once you go black, you never go back'?

Not true.

I hobbled back.

Naah, you just went to the dark side,

“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

You just tripped over a storm-tropper, you'll be fine in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

mod9maple wrote: »
    They are stupid and racist and not in the least bit funny. And they do promote hatred and intolerance.

Ya big racist ya

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭creolebelle

Oh dear. By black people do you mean black Americans or black people everywhere?
    I'm black american and I like fried chicken. I don't eat much of it cause it's caloric and it's fried.
    My name isn't laqueisha or shanaqua and the same applies to my friends.
    My father is very involved in my life and he still takes care of me.
    I'm not loud. I'm meek,
    No one in my family has ever been in trouble with the law but I have quite a few family members who work in the criminal justice system as cops, lawyers and a judge
    This may sound racist
    How many of the users on here interact with black people on a regular basis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Love these 'announcement' posts, which are usually constructed to dissuade others from having a differing opinion.

If people are that easily convinced to not have a different opinion by a sarcastic thankswhore like me we're all fucked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

Love these 'announcement' posts, which are usually constructed to dissuade others from having a differing opinion.

What's so hate-mongering about .....

Eh? Where did the poster whom you quoted, mention anything about 'hate mongering' in their post? Or is inventing what you see just a little thing of yours?

• Advertisement

Robsweezie wrote: »
    you know the ones....

-black fathers don't support their children
    -they love fried chicken, kool aid and watermelon
    -women are portrayed as loud, opinionated and named laquisha,shaniqua etc.
    -they have trouble with the police

Strangely I have never heard of the first three. I was aware they are disproportionally represented in crime statistics - especially in the states - but the other three I have never heard of.

Only other one I have ever heard is the oft perpetuated claim that they have - on average - bigger penises than white folk. Other than that I can not think of any "black stereotypes" at all.

When I think of black people I always remember a line from a movie. And comically I do not even know what movie it was (being after hours it will not be long before someone tells me of course). But a white guy gets hurt and bruised - and his black partner (think it was a police movie) says "You white people turn such funny colors).

Cracks me up - and I have no idea why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

they are fond of muh dik and calling us white folk rayciss

shhhhheeeeeeeiiiitt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Vandango wrote: »
    Eh? Where did the poster whom you quoted, mention anything about 'hate mongering' in their post?
    They didn't, but why would I have to be referring to their post? Some responded to the OP that all stereotypes listed cause hatred to be spread towards black people (saying they like fried chicken would do that? Really?) to which Krudler said the thing about faux outrage.

Jokey stereotypes like being big potato fans don't cause hate towards Irish people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Does TV count?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

ScumLord wrote: »
    Does TV count?
    I don't think "interaction" with black transvestites really counts, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The blacks on Jerry Springer are loud all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

Oh dear. By black people do you mean black Americans or black people everywhere?
    I'm black american and I like fried chicken. I don't eat much of it cause it's caloric and it's fried.
    My name isn't laqueisha or shanaqua and the same applies to my friends.
    My father is very involved in my life and he still takes care of me.
    I'm not loud. I'm meek,
    No one in my family has ever been in trouble with the law but I have quite a few family members who work in the criminal justice system as cops, lawyers and a judge
    This may sound racist

I do
    im a prison guard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

What has that got to do with this thread or the OP's inability to recognise that there are a lot more black people around the world than just African Americans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

you know the ones....

point is, are these humorous or racist? .......

Apart from the first one, there's nothing derogatory about those statements. Nothing wrong with liking fried chicken, or being opinionated, or having names that are different to white European names. What has been happening in Ferguson shows that black people do have trouble with the police, but that's often the fault of the cops.

• Advertisement

DaveDaRave wrote: »
    I do
    im a prison guard
    That's a tough job.

Are there a lot of black Americans in irish prisons?

shutup wrote: »
    What has that got to do with this thread or the OP's inability to recognise that there are a lot more black people around the world than just African Americans.

Nothing. I'm just curious. Im also surprised by the amount of discussions on here about black Americans. That's all
    Op wasn't the only one in this thread who applied stereotypes of black Americans to black people globally

Apart from the first one, there's nothing derogatory about those statements. Nothing wrong with liking fried chicken, or being opinionated, or having names that are different to white European names. What has been happening in Ferguson shows that black people do have trouble with the police, but that's often the fault of the cops.

^ I don't think cops can be entirely blamed for police brutality in low income black neighborhoods. It's a multifaceted problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

What has been happening in Ferguson shows that black people do have trouble with the police, but that's often the fault of the cops.

Do you think it is the police fault when somebody shop lifts, resists arrest, rushes at the police officer and actually tries to take the gun off the police officer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Nothing. I'm just curious. Im also surprised by the amount of discussions on here about black Americans. That's all
    Op wasn't the only one in this thread who applied stereotypes of black Americans to black people globally

I am well aware that there are more than afro americans but these stereotypes are exclusive to them. I never implied otherwise, you did :)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭dickface

Black americans are the only blacks op?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

dickface wrote: »
    Black americans are the only blacks op?

I NEVA SED DAT......people obviously drew their own conclusions but I thought you would all understand I meant afro americans exclusively without having to state it, from your own experience of seeing the stereotypes in various forms of media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

you know the ones....

point is, are these humorous or racist? what side of the fence are you on? we often see these kindve things played out in social media in the form of memes and vines and to be honest I would find them harmless and quite funny, so long as they don't promote hatred or intolerance.

Ugh oh. I'm black?!

I am well aware that there are more than afro americans but these stereotypes are exclusive to them. I never implied otherwise, you did :)

? So you were talking about stereotypes of black Americans. You never specified that in your op. It seemed like you were talking about black people from all over. Or maybe I just assumed that because this is boards ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

The Simpsons have been getting away with racial jokes for years.Scots,Blacks,Irish,Hill Billy's,Cops,single mom's have all been stereotyped.
    I mean some people think there is no such thing as a sober Irishman.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There are black stereotype but in most cases they are just a poverty stereotype. Most of the traits are pretty similar to common or garden white trash or even scumbags.

Lets not forget that segregation and apartheid are still very much in living memory so access to things like education doesn't go that many generations back which can flavour some attitudes.

Colour doesn't matter. The great unwashed will always be uncouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

The Simpsons have been getting away with racial jokes for years.Scots,Blacks,Irish,Hill Billy's,Cops,single mom's have all been stereotyped.

cat ladies ,indians and italians too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You must lead a sheltered life if you got all that from The Simpsons.

Advertisement