Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A higher state of cardiovascularness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Your wife speaks the truth, listen to her. Good work this weekend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

catweazle wrote: »

However bolloxed is all relevant when I have a tailwind for 50k and I was averaging 35kph + for the trip home. It was 153k to the house so I tacked in a local loop to bring it to just over 160k. If I had an Irish flag I would have gone home, grabbed it and waved it going past gibbos house. Even he couldn't be griping at that distance 160k @ 26.1kph AHR 113

Wife brought me back to earth when I proudly said that's as long as I have to do in training for it - ya but surely you will need to do that distance a few more times

Was actually thinking exactly that this morning for my 160k spins. Can't. Wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Good going sir, those long solo bike are character building alright and they will stand to you.
    I can't say I'm trilled at the prospect of my couple of 6.5hrs rides coming up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

BTH wrote: »
    Your wife speaks the truth, listen to her. Good work this weekend.

+1

Also, don't be afraid to remind her that she told you to do more 160k spins! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Can hardly remember anything on what I did this week left it too long to upate. In an affort to get down to 72kg before the race I stopped eating the usual choccy bar, sugary sweets since sunday and I have been riddled with headaches which started yesterday :(

Monday AM: 2k in the pool, no idea of what I did though, think they were 5 x 108 off 2.15/2.10/2.05/2.00

Monday Evening: A very easy 40 minutes on the turbo

Tuesday Am: 1.15 on the turbo, 20 minutes big gear

Tuesday Lunch: An awful awful run, felt like stopping a few times. 10k @ 5.14

Wednesday AM: Was all day in Dublin, I did 1300m in the pool in the morning. Swimming well the little I did, there was some 1.40s 108s in there

I went back in there that evening on the way home and got another 1800m in before a herd of aqua aerobics girls bullied me out of the lane with sheer numbers for their pre-session gossip. Again swimming well cut the 4 x 396 to off 7:30s and was coming in on the 6.40s

Thursday AM: Never noticed it on tuesday but the cockpit of the pussywagon was loose and shaking. I tried jamming a few screwdrivers and alan keys to tighten it but it didn't seem to make any difference. Session cancelled as had to swap cars and baby seats before herself left so she could take it to the bike shop. No harm to have the bike serviced anyways, that would have been a disaster if it came loose in France

Thursday Evening: Another bit of a slog of a run, i threw in an extra couple of k as I hadnt done much running this week. 16k @ 4.57

Friday AM: I was suffering with a headache all night, i dont get these at all...ever so I was like a bear. The young lad came in at 5.15 but we talked him into going back to bed for a while - I turned off the alarm on the phone though for fear he would be back in again but fell asleep till he came back in again at 7. I was in no form for the swim anyways - will try and go later

• Advertisement

A **** weekends training - the headache didn't go till saturday morning and I was left with a stiff neck - I felt I could afford to focus on the long bike and skip the long run so that's what I did

However I hadn't looked at the bike since I got it back from the bike shop and heading out on Sunday I wasn't impressed to see the bars were much higher than when I left them in. I was sorry I hadn't said to the wife to warn them to take note of the position but I didn't think that would have to be said anyways as the shop is heavily involved with the local tri club.

Never mind - I figured the neck and headaches had caused the back to finally cave in with all the suffering on the drops so it couldn't be much worse than it is normally....it was. I had to give up after 35k and I cycled home like Monty Burns for the rest of the reduced route. 75k in total. Might be the kick in the ass I needed anyways as I have the bike fitter booked in for tomorrow night and will get someone to look at the back thursday/friday

Monday AM: 2200m in the pool
    Monday Lunch: 10k run @ 4.43 pace. Still not running as well as I was but I wanted this to be a little faster than recent runs just to get used to running in the 4.40s again

Jaysus...we seem to mirror each other in bad weeks and weekends.
    I got more cycling done yesterday though. Woo hoo.

Tuesday AM: I was getting the bike refitted that night so went for a swim this morning instead. Snatching a bit at the swim sessions the last few days - need to get more distance/structure in. Cant remember the times now but it was a better swim than mondays session. Some decent 216s sets from memory. 2300m

Tuesday Evening: Childminder out with migraine so got in a session that evening. 11k at 4.53 pace. AHR - 137

Wednesday AM: Did a very quick 20k loop of the local route to see how the new bike position was before heading to Dublin. Not too bad, no pain or stiffness anyways, spacers in, turn the Starship Enterprise upside down and you will get the idea of whats in now

Wednesday Evening:
    Got a quick swim in the pool and managed to brazen out the pressure the Aqua Aerobics grannies were putting on me to vacate the lane. They are right bitches though - all congregating chatting at the end of the lane and filthy looks as I snuck the hand in to gaps so I could touch turn at the wall. You would swear I was a young lad that they could bully out of the lane. I got 2300m of good fast swimming in before some young lad with a face mask comes in to the lane as well and had no clue of lane etiquette, i let him off and headed off as I wanted to see the kids before they went to sleep. Some nice sets in the middle here where I was in the 1.40s for 108 meters. 3 days in a row swimming suits me

Thursday AM:
    I was supposed to do longer but it started to teem down just as I hit a turn off for the house. I took the turn off :o 20k

Were you afraid you'd melt in the rain this morning? :pac: :D

Sounds like the fit has you sorted, thankfully. Did you get an appointment with the PT guy?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Were you afraid you'd melt in the rain this morning? :pac: :D

Sounds like the fit has you sorted, thankfully. Did you get an appointment with the PT guy?

Just lazy and in no mood to get soaked!

Hes booked out till next week - 2 lads on holidays next week from the office so I couldn't commit to a date as I might be up there a bit. There is a guy beside us up there that gets good reviews so I might pop into him if I have a chance

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

where did you get the fit done?

mossym wrote: »
    where did you get the fit done?

James O'Donnell in Oranmore. Website here

James O'Donnell in Oranmore. Website here

:)
    i'm in with james tomorrow checking the fit as changed some stuff, did first fit on the tri bike with him last year. hence the curiosity

I'd say you'll be coming home with new runners too :D

I'll be paying James a visit too in a couple of weeks.

I'd say you'll be coming home with new runners too :D

not this time i'd say:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

:)
    i'm in with james tomorrow checking the fit as changed some stuff, did first fit on the tri bike with him last year. hence the curiosity

What time you in the neighbourhood at? :cool:

**rushes off to hang all the blingy stuff out**

not this time i'd say:)

**cough** Ghost 8 **cough, cough**

AKW wrote: »
    What time you in the neighbourhood at? :cool:

**rushes off to hang all the blingy stuff out**

AKW wrote: »
    **cough** Ghost 8 **cough, cough**

you get them in? thought there was more of a wait, hence my not this time comment

Friday AM I really need to get up earlier for this last month - got 3000m in. 7 x 396 off 8 minutes - was in around the 7 minute mark for all of them

Saturday AM With the weather looking crap for Monday, the decision was made to get out on the bike on Saturday and Sunday. I did 90k @ 27.kph AHR 120. The back held up so this was ok - was regretful all day that I didn't just do the longer ride that day and get it over with. Abscess that evening - I always get problems with my teeth on long weekends.

Sunday AM I wasn't looking forward to this and I wasn't disappointed. I laughed to myself after when I got home, with the wife saying that's it's go back to 1/2 ironman next year, I am gone too long. I am sick of the long bike rides, I don't mind the runs or swims but I hate the bike at this stage but I won't be telling her that just in case I do go long again some time.

I did the same route more or less as the last time, a brief hesitation when I got to Moycullen as I was dreading going across Seanafesteen against the wind from Oughterard but I can't think of anywhere locally that can come any closer to what I will be going over in France. 26k of hilly cross country into a driving headwind is your only job. Finished up at 155k I skipped the triumphant lap around the local loop to get to 160 as I was running late I was so slow. Back was killing me - I have to get a massage this week. 24.5kph @ 112 AHR

Monday AM The weather was brutal this morning, sheet rain and driving wind. For such a pussy on the bike I never mind bad weather running. I should have done longer but I was getting cold and the tooth started to get really sore. 23k @ 4:59 AHR - 133. Enjoyed the run - I like running in the rain

Tuesday AM Skipped the pool - straight to the dentist instead where no doubt I will be ages getting seen to. Hopefully a run later all going well

catweazle wrote: »
    with the wife saying that's it's go back to 1/2 ironman next year, I am gone too long.

She knows you too well.

The thought of going back to 1/2 and proving her right would kill you :D

Stay long and SIU!!

• Advertisement

Was looking at the nice bike course there last week. Are you crazy?! :eek:

Was looking at the nice bike course there last week. Are you crazy?! :eek:

My first time looking at it there without a glass of red in my hand :eek:

I knew about the big climb alright but I didn't realise until recently there was another nasty 7k climb after it. It's going to be a long day in the saddle by the looks of it

Not to worry at least I won't have to stay down in the aero bars for the whole race anyways - I am happy for the wife - she's really looking forward to an all expenses paid holiday in Nice with no kids which wouldn't have been the case if we were going to Bolton, Tenby or Frankfurt

I think I'll slow down my cycle in solidarity ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I don't envy those long bike rides on your own, character building I'd say? Fair play to you. Especially along the lonely roads in Connemara

Tuesday Lunch: A sneaky hour on the turbo

Tuesday Evening:
    A very stiff legged recovery run of 5k

Wednesday AM:
    I am trying to increase the distance in the pool for the next two weeks, I am swimming ok but too many of them are around the 2500-3000 distance. The childminder still being out sick doesn't help as although I was at the pool for 6am I have to leave earlier. I got 3400m in, 5 x 396 off 8 minutes and 5 x 216 off 4.15 was the main section. The 396s werent great but I was swimming better by the time the 216s ended, probably a result of 4 days absence from the pool

Wednesday Evening: One benefit of the childminder being out is I have a slightly longer training window in the evenings then lunchtime. A 15k run at 4.55 pace - no hrm but found this tough

Thursday AM:
    Another hour on the turbo moving up the gears, I was clock watching towards the end as I was feeling the pinch in the legs

Thursday Evening: 15k run around the local area again, a little bit easier than yesterday at 4.53 pace and 135 AHR. But the legs are tired

Friday AM: 3500m in the pool. My legs were tired so treated myself to the pull buoy for this, did the 5 x 108s off 2.15/2.10/2.05/2.00/1.55/1.50. The bloody pull buoy slipped out as I was doing the last set, I reckon I was going to hold the 1.50s though as I was on schedule after 3 of them.

Finally met a guy in the gym who is doing Austria - he tends to swim in the evenings and I am in the mornings so its the first time I have bumped into him this year. The usual best of lucks as we headed off - he seems to be pretty happy with his training although he is worried about the swim but he certainly seemed to have come on a ton since i last saw him swimming

I had it in my had that the Salthill triathlon was tomorrow which would have suited perfectly as I could have thrown in a bit of watching while I was doing my long run, alas its Sunday and as the wife is out tonight doing the long bike tomorrow isn't an option

I presume if it is the same course as the old days I can let them all fly by me going out towards Furbo

Friday Evening: Just an easy hour on the turbo catching up with Game of Thrones - while Season 5 has been a bit slow to get going - episode 8 was much more like it

The two kids are smothered with colds and I could feel one coming on that night ....... great I haven't had a cold for years and I get one on a big training weekend.

Saturday AM: A fine cold I ended up with, its no surprise I have been getting very run down the last few weeks. For a change I was more stressed about the long run as I havent done 30k+ in 3 weeks so I watched absolute awful weather outside the door and I was frustrated to say the least.It worked out well in one way as my wife was out with the girls last night and rang and said she wouldnt be home till after lunch. It actually cleared in the afternoon and became a nice day

I got the 30k in - a miserable slog of a run - its rare that I don't enjoy running but this was one. Couldn't find the heart rate monitor heading out and had no interest in looking for it anyways as it would have been showing very high no doubt. 30k @ 5.13 pace

Sunday AM: Still smothered with the cold at least looking out the window this morning I knew it was going to be the best conditions I have gone out in this year. A nice day with no wind. Finally tried the K-Swiss tri suit on for a test run, I must have lost all the weight off my legs and face as the shorts were a little looser but I am still poured into the top :(

I went out towards Salthill to see if I could catch the arse end of the Salthill triathlon. Alas coming up the finish line all I had saw were the last few coming home, so I missed most of the good stuff. A fine swim and bike for BTH leading the race at that stage but he blew up badly with a 27 minute 5k.

I deliberately avoided Seanafesteen as I didn't think I would be able for it so kept it flat, it wasnt too bad but any time I went up a drag at all I could feel the legs weaken straight away.

I got to the turn off to the house at 127k and I called it a day, I did a quick transition run straight after it of 5k, this wasn't too bad. I started out in the 4.40s but I was trying to slow to a pace that is more achievable on the day, I decided not to worry about it too much I am sure my legs will dictate to me on the day not to be going out at a suicidal pace.

Bike 127k @ 27.5kph
    Run 5k @ 5:01

I was wracked with guilt after - it was an important weekends training and why didn't I throw 1 more loop around the area for 147k as I clearly was ok during the run but I had enough at that stage. I was pestered into doing the lawn later and by 7pm I was exhausted - had the dinner and went up to bed. Didn't sleep to well so just did 500m easy swim today and went to the steam room to try and sweat it out.

Happy enough that I can be allowed be run down now - while I am not going to really start tapering till next week, I don't mind an easy day or two at this stage as long as I can put a decent weekend in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Its normal at this stage of IM training to start feeling like you detest it :) One more big weekend of training with a good 32-35k long run with IM paced efforts thrown in and 5-6hrs on the bike with a big chunk of it at IM intensity with a good 8-10k run off (at IM pace) and mentally you will feel the better for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

27min 5k -> how dare you, I'm very proud of that time.
    Fcuking shower of elitists around here.

Should be in pink I guess.

Poor week so far but I am not overly stressed about it - cold is gone since yesterday but has been replaced by a nasty cough instead

Monday - Tuesday and wednesday AM: Just visits to the sauna and steam room with a small dip into the pool to cool down after.

Tuesday Lunch: Just a quick spin around the local TT route - I kept it easy but foolishly pushed the last few k as I could see I would get over 30kph average if I did. First time this year without gloves :eek:

Wednesday Lunch: I started to feel better so off for a run I went, 13k @ 4.57 pace. Found this very hard - very hot :D

Wednesday evening coming back from Cork in the car I felt a cough coming on and needless to say I have one now

Thursday AM: Being over in Salthill i went out for a quick dip in the sea, I have neoprene booties, gloves and a hat this year so the only only area non-neoproned up is the face. I didn't stay in long, I couldn't take the pain in the face from the cold - a few more OW sessions needed fairly soon to man up :o

• Advertisement

I'm glad you'll have a season of long training under your belt. With the amount of gauntlets being thrown around and dropped on Twitter this morning ours names are on one for next year ;)

Advertisement