Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A higher state of cardiovascularness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Friday AM: Feeling a bit better, i extended the swim out to 1500m, swimming really suffered this week, will need to get going again next week

Friday Evening: A new approach was to do the long run this evening and the bike saturday and nothing sunday. This may give the wife the impression in the oncoming months that the weekends weren't so bad with me gone all weekend. Allowing me to look at next year - perhaps its too late though :o

A right slog of a run, I was going to bin it at 20k but decided to struggle through another 5 so 25k in total at 5.19 pace

Saturday AM: Long bike - I was dreading this but it ended up not being that bad in the end of it all. I even ignored going past the house at 122k and pulled in another 20k to make it 142k. Kept it relatively flat except for some hill repeats at Parkmore and Abbeyknockmoy.

I was wrecked coming home and I am riddled with saddle sores but was in good form as its the last long training ride I will have to do for a long time. 142k @ 26.2kph

Sunday AM: Not quite nothing but next to nothing with Loraine and the kids watching me dressed to the nines in neoprone beside all the skins swimmers in Blackrock. There would be more chop in the swimming pool it was so calm again but once I got going I learnt that I will need to settle into a rhythm quickly in France as a wave of tiredness came over me very shortly into it. Once I adapted to the cold and pace it ended up being a lovely swim, legs felt super high in the water. Ship my Tri bike is coming thursday so will need to go to the sea at least twice more I think but I might be only have time for one more. Approx about 1k swim I reckon

ITS TAPER TIME :)

Nobody can do taper like I can, it usually involves stags, chocolate, turf and drink and shag all else. No stags on the horizon this year, however as I predicted the brother in law comes over about the turf cutting last night. How are you fixed for monday week, I just have to laugh - I would expect he knows well when the race is on, so the week of the race was always going to be his pick. The mother in law then rings the wife later last night stressed that she hears I am not going to help with the turf - which I didn't say as I tried a non committal approach with him and am just going to pray it rains this week

Ah its nothing I didn't predict anyways - the country in-laws will never understand training/racing, hopefully my legs and back should be better able to handle it with all the training this year. I will see if I can go the weekend on my own so I can finish earlier in the week although he wont like that......he will worry the city boy will stack them wrong :rolleyes:

Monday AM:
    Presuming some decent swim sessions this week to get me back to speed after last weeks non swimming week will do me no harm. Shoulders were stiff after but got it done. 8 x 396 off 8:00 minutes the first two were slow 7:20s seemed to pick up a bit then and the rest were low 7:10s. 3500m total

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

catweazle wrote: »
    Allowing me to look at next year - perhaps its too late though :o

What's the plan next year CW?? You going to Copenhagen with a few others from round here??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Tell the BiL to go fvck himself. Simples :cool:

BTH wrote: »
    What's the plan next year CW?? You going to Copenhagen with a few others from round here??

Certainly not :eek:

My plan is to go back to 1/2 Ironman again unless I get bullied into Challenge Galway

On another note I saw your Collinamuck mates out for a run down the prom on Sunday morning - christ almighty, the wife thought they were strippers with the skimpy clothing and compression wear
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Tell the BiL to go fvck himself. Simples :cool:

That also entails telling the MIL as well, very tempting but no - it becomes very awkward when you see the brother in law and a 60 year old woman slaving away with the turf every night and I am sitting at home being fed grapes off my belly.

The problem is they don't do or even understand procrastination, if it needs to be done it needs to be done at the 1st opportunity which is next week if it continues to stay dry. Whereas i am a master at putting things off till the last minute

Pray for rain Gibbo!

I will let Lor handle it - I think she will put the foot down with them if the **** hits the fan......but a bit at the weekend and maybe a few hours on Monday and Tuesday wont kill me, I am not out till the Sunday

On another note I saw your Collinamuck mates out for a run down the prom on Sunday morning - christ almighty, the wife thought they were strippers with the skimpy clothing and compression wear

They were just in from 135km @ almost 36kmph. Mr G dishing out the hurt in a big way. You should come out with us some morning!! :)

There'll be a few of us swimming on Wednesday evening 6:30 if you fancy it? 2k+ and not a rubber bootie in sight!!

• Advertisement

They were just in from 135km @ almost 36kmph. Mr G dishing out the hurt in a big way. You should come out with us some morning!! :)

There'll be a few of us swimming on Wednesday evening 6:30 if you fancy it? 2k+ and not a rubber bootie in sight!!

How's the water? I need to get in soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

CW i am with gibbo on this. Be a selfish prick for the next 2 weeks, last thing you want is to pull a back muscle or something stupid lifting turf. Put it off for a week.

It was lovely last Wednesday, not remotely cold but I've been told it was a little cooler over the weekend.

Can I hang on the back hammering away at 26kph - would I get 10k free speed - it could be a good way of getting the miles in without being gone for so long ;)

Wont get over Wednesday evening - the way its looking I will have to drop gear into Sean Wednesday for pick up thursday

I will be going over either today / tomorrow after 8 if you want to come out. Tomorrow more likely
    CW i am with gibbo on this. Be a selfish prick for the next 2 weeks, last thing you want is to pull a back muscle or something stupid lifting turf. Put it off for a week.

We will see - I went to war a few years in the past over it and it ended up not happening anyways - too early in the week to be agitating to them about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

thanks be to christ ive a load of turf left over from last year and the year before so im not getting any this year..and ive zero intention of going near the place, the looks i got.. they cant believe im not gonna go to the bog,
    il regret it next year.. but im gonna enjoy it this year..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Turf cutting. I feel like I've stepped into a historical novel....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Spent my childhood summers slaving in the bogs but haven't been near one in twenty years.

New house is smack in the middle of turf country and they all think we're mad because we don't burn the stuff. TBH I'd rather die of the cold than let a single sod inside the gate. Hate the hardship, hate the smell, hate absolutely everything to do with the vile, hateful, useless, inefficient crap that is turf.

I'd rather pick up dog crap in the garden and burn that instead, probably produce about the same amount of heat and smells much the same anyway.

Do the right thing, be selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Turf cutting. I feel like I've stepped into a historical novel....

You think that's bad, wait until they start talking about picking stones :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

griffin100 wrote: »
    You think that's bad, wait until they start talking about picking stones :pac:

....... and pulling the butts of the trams of hay in the meadow

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Neady83 wrote: »
    ....... and pulling the butts of the trams of hay in the meadow

spent my childhood footing turf and tidying trams. nothing wrong with it. being big enough to ride back to the shed on top of a 10 high stack of square bales on a trailer was like getting your first pint as a coming of age ritual

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Fair play CW for keeping that long bike going. I had a very similar 5.25hrs experience on Sat.
    Turf ...well I knew it only too well meself in my much younger days.
    Good luck in the taper. Remember keep the intensity up but lower the volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

That also entails telling the MIL as well, very tempting but no - it becomes very awkward when you see the brother in law and a 60 year old woman slaving away with the turf every night and I am sitting at home being fed grapes off my belly.

Why can't Mrs. C go help with the turf in your place? Her mom's out there slaving away, as you say....so obviously it's not a male-only club. I say give the wife a night off from feeding you grapes off your belly and let her help her mom and brother with a little family turf bonding time. Simples. :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Why can't Mrs. C go help with the turf in your place? Her mom's out there slaving away, as you say....so obviously it's not a male-only club. I say give the wife a night off from feeding you grapes off your belly and let her help her mom and brother with a little family turf bonding time. Simples. :)

Ya you nailed it Dory - wife is going to take one for the team with her 1st bog experience next week if it goes ahead as planned. You will hear the roars over in Virginia if one of those nails breaks

Can we get a photo of that please CW?? :D

Can we get a photo of that please CW?? :D

I think I'll go a long for a laugh - far better than a photo :pac:

• Advertisement

I think I'll go a long for a laugh - far better than a photo :pac:

I would say you would get a nosebleed within 20m of a bog - i will be minding kids so no chance of a picture BTH, but heres one of her last year feeding the cows. Nice bit of rain this morning so far ;)

wife4_4.jpg

Monday Lunch: 10k - Finally found the strap - heart rate a little higher than expected for this pace 10k @ 4.49 AHR 144

Tuesday AM: Better in the pool this morning, 4 x 396 off 8 minutes and 5 x 216 off 4 minutes. Times were much improved on yesterday with low 7 minutes for the 396s and the 216ms were coming in the 3.40s as well. 3k swim

Tuesday Evening: Went to Blackrock for a swim, certainly not billiard table conditions tonight there was a nice swell. The current helped as while I was being thrown all over the place I was flying down. I was a bit worried about coming back because of this but I was comforted by the thought I had a ex lifeguard, Bay swimmer, fish on my feet as he was too gracious to go ahead. I turned around at the buoy and no sign of the bollox, too cold for him he said so he swam back to shore. While it was great training considering I havent been in the sea in any kind of chop since Kenmare last year it was certainly not the most enjoyable swim I have had. I was glad I had the tower to sight off as I had no chance of spotting the buoys unless I looked right on the top of a wave

Wednesday AM: I have to drop the bike over for Ship my Tri bike today so I spent last night looking at Youtube movies on how to use Co2 cartridges. Looks ok :o

Bloody wetsuit is soaked so I have it up beside the boiler to try and get it dry for packing later

I was going to go for a cycle but after all the cleaning and putting on the bling wheels I decided I wasn't going out in that ****e weather - I popped down to the pool more for a quick sauna and jacussi though, shoulders were stiff after last night and I wanted to take it easy

kenmare last year? chop? i'd be praying for a day like we got in LS last year:)

mossym wrote: »
    kenmare last year? chop? i'd be praying for a day like we got in LS last year:)

Nah not what I meant - its only second time out in water since Kenmare which was perfectly fine. Last sunday however was like a pool swim there wasn't even a ripple so as regards sea swimming it was worthless - last night was much more like it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

It's getting kind of real now, isn't it??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Glad my bike isn't being picked up until Saturday...more time for procrastination :D

Glad my bike isn't being picked up until Saturday...more time for procrastination :D

The packing was surprisingly stress free - till Mrs C arrives in with her runners looking for space in the bag - I knew my goose was cooked when she saw two helmets in the bag. *

* I am a bit worried that it might be too hot for my aero helmet

Needless to say my road helmet didn't make the cut in the end of it all - if i am going to overheat I am going to do it looking good :cool:

Bring the road helmet as carry on. Just clip it to the strap of a backpack. That's what I've done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

All the best John.
    Hopefully overheating won't be a problem for you, but didnt last years field get decimated by cold weather / hypothermia in the mountains ?
    No bother to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Good Luck CW, it will be no problems to you, just go easy on the descents and stay hydrated.

• Advertisement

yup, best of luck CW, enjoy the day, that's what all the work was for

agree with gibbo, helmet on the straps of backpack on the plane.

Advertisement