Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A higher state of cardiovascularness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

These good luck messages have me checking the details again.......the race is sunday week isnt it.....yes...yes it is!

Wednesday Lunch: A 10k run, no HRM but was tough enough. 10k @ 4.43 pace

Thursday AM:
    This was supposed to have been a 4k session but the young lad woke up as I was tip toeing past his room, so it was reduced to 3k as he needed some sorting before I could go. 7 x 396 was the main set off 8 minutes all in around the 7:10 mark

Thursday Evening:
    Its been a while since I was out on the road bike, I nearly planted my elbows down on the handlebars a few times. Bike is in ****e - seems to be stuck on the small ring and loads of creaks and groans from it. Shag it - it just needs to survive another 1 or 2 spins for the next while

Friday AM: Slept it in - battery had died on phone. When I got down to the pool the other lad whos doing Austria was in - so it ended up being more or less a big chin wag with him for the session. Did approx 1000m or so

Hoping to get a long run in tonight and long bike tomorrow like last weekend which goes down well with the family. Neither of them will be long though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hi cw! :D It's race week!!! Whoop whoop!!! We are all so frickin' excited for you - this is going to be epic, and I already can't wait for your race report because I just know it's going to be chock full of hilarious anecdotes. Babe, you've done the work, and you are more than deserving to rock on up to the start line with the knowledge that you are prepared. You've got this thing. Your day is going to be long....really l-o-n-g....and you are going to have some ups and downs. One minute you're going to be loving life wondering what all the fuss was about (probably around mile 50 on the bike), and then the next minute you're going to be in complete misery wondering what kind of hell you signed up for (probably around mile 6 on the run) - that's all normal. But in that/those low moment(s), keep moving forward, because it gets better. It gets so much better. If you need a visual of what I'm talking about, this little commercial sort of sums it up. (be that mouse....be seriously strong! ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

From 50 miles into the bike to 6 miles into the run in just one minute?? So I was holding him back on those spins?? :pac:

Cheers Carol - that bloody race has been the last thing on my mind the last while as the teeth have reared up on me again :mad:

Friday Evening: I had a little bit of extra time around the local route and I was just trying to find ways I could squeeze an extra km or two until I said shag it I have enough done just did my usual and just went home. My legs were tired but my heart rate was super low - 13k @ 5:00 AHR - 131

Saturday: Off - Massively in the good books with the Mrs with this friday evening long run jobby - I should have thought of it months ago. Town for the day with the wife with my job keeping the kids entertained while she shops

Saturday Evening - Tucking into a nice home made pizza, I heard a big crack in the mouth and instant pain. It was the tooth that had the recent root canal which had cracked anyways a few weeks before that. I had put off getting it fixed up and a crown in till I got back from France. Took some painkillers and thought no more of it.

Sunday AM: Woke up in the night with more pain so painkillers form the day and a trip to the dentist beckoned monday morning. I did an easy 40k on the bike - even stopped for a vanilla latte and a read of the Sunday Sports supplement in Oranmore :o

Monday AM: Went down to the pool later than normal but this was to just get in ahead of the traffic to get to the dentist, did nothing in there. ****ing fractured gum was the verdict - so tooth has to come out altogether on tuesday, what a waste of money. Strong determined looks in all pictures in race on sunday or I will have them ruined by looking like Tony Cascarino

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ouch. I hope that's not your lucky tooth you've lost. :)

• Advertisement

Best of luck this weekend lad and I hope you thoroughly enjoy it. Rumour has it you're very relaxed, I find that very difficult to believe :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Best of luck CW, hope you knock it out of the park :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Best of luck this weekend. Remember, you picked this course, so no crying on the hills :) Looking forward to a race report already.

Sure why wouldn't I be relaxed - no more training for months after this weekend :). I am not a bit stressed really anyways, perhaps it might hit me when I am over there but I tend to not get to worked up about anything. Haven't a clue how I will get on but I am happy enough that I gave the race a decent shot as regards training for it. You can always do more but if I was told I would x,y and z of what I ended up doing I would have taken it.

Weather looks like high 20s and sunny

Once I got the tooth out on Tuesday the pain went so a couple of short, swim bike and runs since then. My legs seem to be finally coming around and my heart rate tells me I should be dead it's so low :eek:

Some nice marketing from the race - I got this picture yesterday in my mail, I am looking forward to lying on one of these on the Monday, probably will cost me 100 euros for the pleasure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Go get em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Hope you have a good race :D

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭j0hn1

Best of luck this weekend! Hopefully you get to give it your best shot.
    This is a race report I've been waiting on for a while :)

All the best tomorrow catz. I'll race ye! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Best of luck

The wife is off getting my breakfast organised for the morning so I have the feet up outside an Irish bar for the next hour or so, I might as well make a start on the race report.

Nice is some spot, I have never seen so many boob jobs all in the one place

It was deffo a wise move as regards the venue. Plenty of shopping but they have an old town area which is just restaurant after restaurant. Loraine is talking about coming back here next year for her 40th in September. Airport is right beside the town, took us 10 minutes in the bus to get into the town and it's not as expensive as I feared. Meal out is around the same as Ireland with the wine perhaps a little cheaper. Hotel is grand about 10 minutes from the start

The organisation is nothing like an Irish race, registration and check in took minutes. It's well hot here but there's a nice breeze coming in from the coast.

Went out this morning for the swim and the only time I can remember visibility as good was years ago when I went swimming in the red sea. Made the same mistake again by going out too hard and feeling the arms burning, I have to remember to take it easy starting off till I get some type of rhythm. I went out pretty far and when you look around you can see the mountains in the distance - no getting away from the bastards

Would guess there are more road bikes than TT bikes here but there's not a huge split - loads of ironman finishers t-shirts to be viewed but I reckon I have them running scared with my fluorescent Craughwell 10 t-shirt

All in all still very relaxed - no clue how I am going to get on so not stressing too much about it

So. Damn. Excited. !!!!!!

Lights out, cw...morning comes awfully early! You go and have some fun out there tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Best of luck tomorrow. Nice is a good spot alright. Will you go up to Monaco? Spent some of our honeymoon there and Nice. It's nice to see feels a bit strange though as it's so clean and safe. Very different from most other European cities where you always have a bit of a rougher element. It's not as expensive as you would think either.

Swim time 1:10 - I think cw will be very pleased with this! And well over halfway through the bike. Woo hoo!!! :)

Bike is done!!! Thank the good lord above! I can't wait to read his accounting of those 112 miles! :eek:

Closing in on halfway mark on run. Whoop whoop!! Nearly there!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Bike is done!!! Thank the good lord above! I can't wait to read his accounting of those 112 miles! :eek:

Sounds savage!

What kind of Muppet put a bloody great Mountain right in the middle of an IM bike course :D

Damn, who knew cw could run??? Fantastic job, and serious respect. Props for holding it together so well, especially after putting yourself through what had to be hell on that bike course on your tt bike. :eek:

"Catweazle.....You. Are. An. IRONMAN!!!!!!!"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Respect CW. Respect. Well done. Not sure many would have picked that as an IM course

Splits anyone??

griffin100 wrote: »
    Splits anyone??

1:10:34...7:10:49 (but this may be the absolute toughest bike course IM offers :eek:)...4:09:27. Total time 12:55:21.

Ooooo.....just now noticed T1 and T2. He makes even me look good! ;)
    11:40....12:51 :o He must've had tea with the wife.

It was only when I went to track him that I realised I didn't know his name!!!

And yeah that's a great run spilt after that bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'm looking forward to the report...especially the bit about crashing in to a bollard on the bike :pac:

I'm just glad I won our race! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'm just glad I won our race! :pac:

I think next year one of 2 things needs to happen:

1. You both pick the same IM
    2. CW goes to Austria and RQ to Nice

:cool:

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    I think next year one of 2 things needs to happen:

1. You both pick the same IM
    2. CW goes to Austria and RQ to Nice

:cool:

Are they both coming to Copenhagen for the boards get meet up ??

Advertisement