Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A higher state of cardiovascularness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

BTH wrote: »
    1.59 pace suggests otherwise.

We can debate it on Sat.

If that comes up in conversation I would expect Mrs C will be showing ye the door 10 seconds later :D
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    You used to smoke??!!! :eek: I'd almost like to know what percentage of you folks have a history with those awful things. When I was in Boston last April, one of the Irish contingent actually lit up behind the porta loos in the Athlete's Village before the race. !!!!

I was a 20 a day man for years - I gave them up on the last day of my honeymoon in the airport home. Still think about having one from time to time - bastards!

I would think the Italians/Spanish/French would smoke more than us. Certainly the Italian women smoke like troopers, strangely I didn't notice the men as much but i might have been focusing more on the women.

I think its a lot better in Ireland now - compared to 10 years ago very few of my male friends smoke anymore. Yet all the women still do but only when they are on a night out - great spot for bitching and gossiping for them I suppose

A write off since tuesday - I have had a niggly sore throat and cough that I cant seem to shake all week. The cold is gone at least, I ran on friday and sunday but gave up after 5k both times as it was just causing me to wheeze worse the longer I went on. Decided to be a little proactive on other things so have pushed forward meetings that I would have had to do before xmas to this week and the root canal is thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Yuck! I hope you feel better!!! :( But smart that you pushed the meetings forwards...and double yuck on the root canal. :eek:

So, if I do my math correctly, you are now just under 30 weeks to your big debut. Are you following a particular plan? What kind of structure are you using to prepare you for your IM??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Yuck! I hope you feel better!!! :( But smart that you pushed the meetings forwards...and double yuck on the root canal. :eek:

So, if I do my math correctly, you are now just under 30 weeks to your big debut. Are you following a particular plan? What kind of structure are you using to prepare you for your IM??

Oh, this'll be good.

And we had a great time Sat, thanks a mill. :)

Very frustratingly as I had a massive spreadsheet type post that I was about to upload detailing the next 30 weeks but I don't know what happened and I must have deleted it ;)

Suffice to say I will be following mostly Don Finks Be Iron Fit competitive plan with some adjustments but it's a reasonably good fit for me. The plan was to ignore the first 10 weeks of it though as I would be doing more than that regularly week to week.... Well up to recently anyways :(
    Oh, this'll be good.

And we had a great time Sat, thanks a mill. :)

Yes we enjoyed it too but my wife was a big confused when you headed off with all the beer you brought and the dessert. I told her it was a Longford thing!

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    Very frustratingly as I had a massive spreadsheet type post that I was about to upload detailing the next 30 weeks but I don't know what happened and I must have deleted it ;)

Suffice to say I will be following mostly Don Finks Be Iron Fit competitive plan with some adjustments but it's a reasonably good fit for me. The plan was to ignore the first 10 weeks of it though as I would be doing more than that regularly week to week.... Well up to recently anyways :(

I'm reading his book now, and for some strange reason you are who popped in my mind. ;)

Yes we enjoyed it too but my wife was a big confused when you headed off with all the beer you brought and the dessert. I told her it was a Longford thing!

:eek::eek::eek:

And there was me being all considerate, thinking about you trying to get down to race weight. Probably shouldn't have left the Häagen Dazs as well though. :)

I'm reading his book now, and for some strange reason you are who popped in my mind. ;)

:eek::eek::eek:

It's probably not as advanced as Joe Friels book but it's an easier read for a less technical guy like me
    And there was me being all considerate, thinking about you trying to get down to race weight. Probably shouldn't have left the Häagen Dazs as well though. :)

Ha that ice cream is causing fights already as I am trying to get rid of it by foisting it on the young lad instead of his usual 1 biscuit pre bedtime treat. Loraine is worried he will put on weight. If it's not gone by weekend expect a
    massive bowl of it being consumed as soon as the first drop of red wine goes down the Mouth

Not much to report for last week - the cough and sore throat has finally receded to just last thing at night and first thing in morning - I am assuming it is the sleep position which is aggravating it

A few swims in the week which seemed manageable and a 13k run on saturday which was ok and an easy 90 minute turbo on the sunday.

Feeling like I can get back into it again this week but alas the childminder is out with wisdom teeth trouble so it will be a few late night sessions and some super early if I can get my ass out of bed in time

How did the root canal go??

• Advertisement

How did the root canal go??

Surprising well - I had a few years of regular very deep fillings in both those teeth in an attempt to save them so I was well able to keep the jaws open for extended periods of time. This was probably like that, certainly no worse than a long filling.

One done and a start made on the other one which should be finished on thursday, I will try and get one or two filings done just after xmas. I might as well clear the teeth out of the way as a potential problem for the new year

Still not a great week again but was hard to do anything about it this week with the childminder out sick

Monday Evening: Had resigned myself to nothing but in fairness I got the nod for 40 minutes that evening. I went out the normal route instead of driving down to Claregalway just as it went dark and had to turn around to do just 5k, I couldn't see a thing on the ground. Although I am so used to that route at this stage I hardly needed a headtorch. 5.06 pace

Tuesday AM: A quick swim before heading over to the granny who was back in childminding mode. Not bad 2400m

Wednesday AM: 40 minutes on the Turbo
    Wednesday PM: A sneaky 30 minutes around Claregalway 5.04 pace

Thursday AM:
    Nothing - Foolishly watched the new X Men movie late the night before - and slept in and was caught by the young lad. In fairness to him hes never awake before 6.45 so I am usually long gone. However this morning - I got a joyous Hi Daddy and a quick rush back to the room to bring me in 3 Fireman Sam books to read to him, so that was me snookered

Friday AM: 2200m in the pool, 5 x 396m off 8 minutes all in under 7.30s. A few regular swim sessions last week while minding the cough has me swimming a little better than recently

Hopeful of a good next forthnight - we get nice xmas holidays in our office although there are a few piss ups in there too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What happened to Thursday PM??? :confused: :pac:

Hopefully see you Sunday for a pedal?

pgibbo wrote: »
    What happened to Thursday PM??? :confused: :pac:

Hopefully see you Sunday for a pedal?

Root Canal Number 2

Should be all done and dusted teethwise next tuesday :cool:

Root Canal Number 2

Should be all done and dusted teethwise next tuesday :cool:

I was wrong on this - my new tooth smashed into smithereeens biting into an Oat cracker less than a week after it was put in. Appointment next tuesday - where I will expect he will be encouraging me to fork out again for a crown in the near future.

The worst month training wise in a long time - some of it couldn't be helped with teeth and sickness issues but I was reminded why I chose to do an early season Ironman with my wifes holiday training taking precedence over anything I was scheduled to do. So with pool doing reduced hours and with herself doing 8-15k runs every morning I was down to one training session albeit a longer than normal one.

So no swimming, little biking and in fairness plenty of running once I was able to go out again, things need to be picked up from now on.

My running took a while to come back but with a near 21k run yesterday off a very comfortable 5.05 pace I think I am back to pre December form there. Cycling has been a bit better the last week, with some turbo sessions of approx 1.30 to 1.45 hours and I got out this morning on a lovely day for 80k which was just what I needed.

Pool is now going to start opening for 5.30AM so I have no excuse for mondays and fridays when I have to be back in the house early in the morning

So week 1 starting tomorrow

A reasonable start to the week although the harder than normal sessions seem to be bringing my cough back :(

Monday AM: All ready from the night before even going as far as putting the capsule in the Expresso ready for the morning. I was in the pool for 5.45 but still only just about got the session done. Nothing too hard in this session but the little bit of kickboard in it took me ages. A 4 x 216 off 4.30 with the Pull buoy was easy coming in slightly under the 4 minute mark each time. 6 x 108 freestyle off 2.15 was surprisingly tough, its been so long since I have not used the pull buoy it was a big shock to the system.

Monday Evening: My planned out weeks schedule didn't even last the first day. The wife forgot broccoli and she eats more of that per bodyweight than a rabbitt, so my planned turbo session was cut as I was sent down to do a run around Claregalway (and pick up a head of Broccoli on the way home). It was only going to be an easy session anyways so 30 minutes of very easy running was put in instead

Tuesday AM: Main part of this swim called for 16 x 108 off 2.15 free. After my efforts yesterday I wasn't looking forward to this but after the agony of 12 x 54 kick it was blessed relief. I always tend to swim well after a kick set and the first few 108's came in on the mid to high 1.45s, I wasn't able to sustain this but my effort settled at around the 1.55 mark for the rest of them. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed getting a tough swim session out of the way before breakfast

Tuesday Lunch:
    Hopefully the earlier session didn't help but a slog of a Z2 10k run. Since I did that threshold test my HR for Z2 is 146-156 and I found this tough coming back into the wind and I had to slow to keep the HR in check. AHR 153 Pace 4.50

Wednesday AM: A Z2 hour on the turbo going up the gears - didn't get anywhere near the HR I was looking for, finally broke into the 130s for the last 20 minutes of it. AHR 119

Wednesday Lunch: An awful run but the conditions were terrible, sheet rain and driving wind. Mindful of this late night cough I am getting I went lower on this heart rate average but crawling slowly into the wind on the way back I was still into the 150's. Vry slow but the weather and morning turbo didnt help I suspect 5.24 pace AHR - 144

Thursday AM: A sneaky swim set which has plenty of recovery between repeats encouraged me to go out steady/hard for the main set but it crept up on me and my shoulders were hanging off me by the time I got to the last 6 x 108 off 2.10s.

2 x 396 off 9.30 both came in just under 7 minutes so that recent 6.50pb from December will be broken soon. 3 x 216 off 4.50 all coming in around the 3.45 mark and then 6 x 108 starting out at 1.50s but drifted to 1.55s for the last two. 2800m in total

Its only week 1 of finger out of the arse time but I haven't enjoyed the pool as much in years - I think I have stopped pining for the pull buoy

Thursday Lunch: A better turbo, another hour at Z2 perhaps I am just more tired but it was far easier to get into the 130s/140s and hold than yesterday

Friday AM: 4 swims this week - arms were tired for it - left it a little late too so had to cut the kickboard and warm down a little bit. Some more repeats of 396 off 9:30 for the main set and these came in at 6.59/6.55/6.48

Friday Evening: A very easy 5k around Claregalway, howling wind and rain, awful weather lately in the west.

Saturday AM:
    The great debate of Turbo or road was ended when I went out to the shed and I saw the back tyre was punctured. I have a faulty USB cable to the portable hard drive so was in a panic when the only CD I could find in the house was The Killing Fields which wasn't very appealing. Scored We Were Soldiers off the neighbour - enjoyable but the quiet night scenes in the jungle were hard to hear with the turbo so there was a bit of gentle pedaling followed by hard pedaling again once the shooting started again. That was 2:10 long and I was able to give a good 40 minute rattle to a Euphoria CD after that. 2.50 in total AHR 116

Sunday Evening: Wasn't sure how this would work out - headed out at 3 so just kept to a coffee and a bagel for lunch. Out and back so a nice tailwind for the first 11k and it was easy to keep it at a low heart rate, into a strong headwind on the way back but was feeling very strong so let myself go into high Zone 2 for the way home and kept the same pace. I pushed the last k into a low 4:30 in an effort to get thr run in under 5 minute pace and I ws surprised how quickly the heart rate shot up. Enjoyed this though - first time I missed the rain all week

22k @ AHR 146 Pace 4.59

Overall very happy with week 1, 14 hours in total. Belfast and Cork next week so I will have some early mornings to get them in

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Some more repeats of 396 off 9:30 for the main set and these came in at 6.59/6.55/6.48

am i reading that right CW, you'd 2.5 minutes break after each set?

mossym wrote: »
    am i reading that right CW, you'd 2.5 minutes break after each set?

Yeah, I am using Interesteds plan from 2013, starting off small with the Sprint sessions as going from shag all to 4k sessions would have me 6 feet under but hoping to move to his IM sessions fairly soon. You type in your pbs and it spits out split times

Here are his honeyed words for this 3 x 400

Steady set of 400's - focusing on good stroke, steady kick and finishing pull to end of stroke.

I expect he is handing out a nice recovery time to encourage good form on these

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

I expect he is handing out a nice recovery time to encourage good form on these

that makes sense. was curious, you don't usually see breaks that long in plans

Week 2:

Monday AM:
    I have always found two days off before swimming makes me feel useless in the water, so thats usually why I try and get a session in on friday if I can at all help it. When it gets warmer I will try and get in a weekend open water session as well. Nothing too hard in this set, the 8 x 216 with Pull buoy came in around the 4 minute mark each time off 4.30. 2500m in total

Monday Evening: Just an easy 5k run around Claregalway to loosen the legs out. I would nearly have preferred a harder session as I was frozen.

Tuesday AM: 1:30 on the turbo, I have ordered another cable on ebay for the hard drive which can't come quick enough. I had an Old Dirty Harry DVD for the session, The Dead Pool he was scraping the barrel with this film - not a patch on some of the earlier ones. Poor HR on this one 110 AHR

Tuesday AM: I knew I was going to have a very late one in Cork that evening so I said shag it and closed up the emails at 11am. This turned into a nightmare run I toughed it out for a while but I eventually had to seek shelter as I couldn't see a thing with a fairly heavy snow blizzard into my face. Took about 10 minutes before it died down enough to get going again and I was frozen and stiff as a board at this stage, was averaging 4.58 pace for the first 10k and the last three went out into the 5.20s as I couldnt get going. 13k AHR - 149

Wednesday AM: With the roads desperate it was just after 1am when I got home, for a change I didnt do my usual and wait up another hour or two unwinding in front of the TV and more or less went straight to bed. Got up late for the mornings swim session but decided I was entitled to a later start in work. For some reason I have always hated the 10 x 54m sets - I suppose its the short recovery time. But two sets of 10 x 54 off 1:00 were just barely made and there was a 10 x 108 off 2:20 before that which came in around the 1:50 mark on all of them. 3000m total.

Miserable rain and blowing a gale outside again, I am scheduled for a lunch time run but I am sick of all the bad weather and for once I am more tempted by the turbo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

fair f*cks for getting anything done outside this week, weather has been shocking out our direction all week

woody1 wrote: »
    fair f*cks for getting anything done outside this week, weather has been shocking out our direction all week

Haven't trained outside since Friday and that was sh1t as well. Fair play for toughing it out yesterday.

Just back from a run. First time in a long time that I didn't meet another runner when I was out. Horrible day out

Not much choice when my wife has an outside run streak of 100+ days and counting - I have to show I am better than her

Due to potential flooding over Gibbos road I have an out and back course that I am doing lately - wind with me for the outward half - fools me every time. This isn't so bad, perhaps the wind has died down, glances at watch....I am running rather well.

And then a cow flies over my head :D

Wednesday PM

13k @ 5.:09 AHR - 143 Job Done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

That's good going CW. Winds forecast 150-160km/hr later so batten down the hatches.

Thursday AM: Was in Belfast today and although I was up early it wasn't early enough so an hour on the turbo. Wife was begging me not to go with the expected bad weather but they got that wrong - probably the nicest day of the week so far

Friday AM: I wasn't as disciplined as the Dublin trip earlier in the week and was all hours going to bed after getting home late. I got up but left it too late to do the full set. A bit of kickboard and 15 x 108 off 2.20 was all I could manage. I had hoped to get a small run in that evening but it never happened, its only a 5k trot anyways so I didn't lose much sleep over missing it

Saturday Evening: This was a messy run, breakfast was very light as I had expected to go out after the wife came home from her run in the morning but watching her slide in the driveway had me postpone that. Town with the kids and then to the Coffeeshop where once again I didnt eat as I was going straight out when we got home. Finally around 3 I got out, the plan was 2 hours or 24k whichever came first, after about 7k I had the old familiar feelings of hunger and a potential bonking and I had turned to get a gel that I had in my gymbag. Felt a bit better after a few minutes and decided to keep around Claregalway and not bother with the gym as I was tight for time.

Going past the gym at 21.5k I got a blast from the wife in the car going by as I had arranged to meet up and bring the kids to the pool so that was the end of the run so the run ended up around 12-13 minutes short, near enough and I was freezing anyways. 21.5k @ 5.06 AHR - 142

Sunday Evening: Another frosty morning so the plan was family stuff till 2 and then head out on the road, I couldn't face the turbo again. AN unplanned trip to Tesco by herself screwed me up time wise and it was just after 2.30-2.40 before I got out. It was a decent 30 minutes out to town, a crap hour casing out used cars as my one is on its last legs and then a decent 30 minutes home again before it got dark. I somewhat made up for the poor spin by getting in 50 minutes hard on the turbo when I got home. So approx 2.50 biking - not enough :o

Monday AM: Nice to see a short session in the plan for a monday as I was running late again, plan was 30 x 54 off 1.10 and trying to hold a decent pace with each one. Got quicker as I went along and I gradually came down from 54-55 to 50-51 towards the end. I included an extra two to reduce the swim down to 108 as I was very tight for time. 2000m

Hours 13.05 - Just under an hour less than last week, while initially a little disappointing I didn't have as many sessions as last week.

Positive - the 2 midweek runs went from 10k runs to 13k - it will be harder to do any longer than this at lunch as I am taking liberties as is.

Negative - The long bike has to get longer - I was doing better back in November

Time to put the foot down for the longer bikes :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I think we're long list brother and sister on the bike front. Was also doing better on the long bikes in November. We're on the same day so the fact I'm not the only one is encouraging to me ;)

Advertisement