Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A higher state of cardiovascularness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Time to put the foot down for the longer bikes

I think we're long list brother and sister on the bike front. Was also doing better on the long bikes in November. We're on the same day so the fact I'm not the only one is encouraging to me

Yes I always find your log soothing when I worry about my lack of long cycles - well the queen is doing shag all cycling as well - we will kill it on the swim and run though :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If we were to follow the Don Fink 30 week competitive plan, what we have done would be excessive. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I don't think your wife is taking this IronMan thing seriously enough. !!!! Maybe pgibbo needs to have that word with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I don't think your wife is taking this IronMan thing seriously enough. !!!! Maybe pgibbo needs to have that word with her.

Can I be there for that?? I'll wanna see how that pans out :) this woman deals with a hell of a lot worse than Gibbo in her day job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Dory Dory wrote: »

I have hard enough time convincing my own wife...... :D I think the real fun will start with CW needs to start hitting North Clare or South Mayo for some climbs to get him ready for Nice. Now that will be a fun conversation

• Advertisement

BTH wrote: »
    Can I be there for that?? I'll wanna see how that pans out :) this woman deals with a hell of a lot worse than Gibbo in her day job.

Not so sure - Gibbo with his knowing look and killer question "do you feel you are doing enough" - has me up all night worrying sometimes

I can safely say herself is now in management speak firmly invested in the process as she was handed my credit card on Sunday night and told to book flights and accommodation. The confirmation that it was indeed a free junket for her and the helpful pictures of the beach, Old Town and Promenade De Anglais has her positively drooling in anticipation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

catweazle wrote: »
    Not so sure - Gibbo with his knowing look and killer question "do you feel you are doing enough" - has me up all night worrying sometimes

I can safely say herself is now in management speak firmly invested in the process as she was handed my credit card on Sunday night and told to book flights and accommodation. The confirmation that it was indeed a free junket for her and the helpful pictures of the beach, Old Town and Promenade De Anglais has her positively drooling in anticipation

Good! Now take the bull by the horns and drive this thing home! No more, "Mrs. C went shopping with the girls while I put on an apron and did the vacuuming." Grab that Garmin before she has a chance to put on her shoes and lipstick and get out the door first! ;):)

pgibbo wrote: »
    I have hard enough time convincing my own wife...... :D I think the real fun will start with CW needs to start hitting North Clare or South Mayo for some climbs to get him ready for Nice. Now that will be a fun conversation

That conversation has started already - I might as well be hung as a sheep than a lamb and suggested I have my eye on a few Estate vehicles as well so I can put the car in the boot with maximum ease for these trips :eek:

Shes killing me with these early morning weekend runs she is insisting on - in fairness to me I am up pre 6am most mornings so I would be able to head off super early for these otherwise. I am going to have to start plying her with wine on friday and saturday nights

Monday PM: The usual 5k trot through Claregalway

Tuesday AM: 1:30 on the turbo, AHR - 120. Not too bad a heart rate for me on the turbo. Had David Guettas latest album Listen for company - bloody wife left him recently so these are supposedly emotional heart on the sleeve songs - but they are useless as well.

Tuesday Lunch: Tried to run on the upper level of Z2, was flying on the outward half but struggled to keep the heart rate down. The average on the Garmin is much different than the Polar, if it works its straight away, whereas I don't even turn on the Polar till around 10 minutes 13k @ 4:58 AHR - 153

Wednesday AM:
    I only realized there is a big chunk of today's and fridays session missing on the spreadsheet - I decided to throw in a few easy 108s and then a 396 TT to make some distance up. I will be moving up in distance next monday so time to get some more accurate times. A little disappointed thought I would be under 6.20 but I came in at 6.26, still 24 seconds better than the last one and only 9 seconds off my PB. 2100m in total

Wednesday Lunch: The little one had a hospital check up so I had an hour including the shower to be ready, usually I would have gone for the comfortable 8k but with the Garmin HR giving me no correct readings I decided to just do a faster 10k, was working hard towards the end and I would have guessed it was more of a tempo run than a zone 2. 10k @ 4.44 pace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I was enjoying this log until
    Had David Guettas latest album Listen for company

Pretty conflicted now!

joey100 wrote: »
    I was enjoying this log until

Pretty conflicted now!

Don't go into my log for music - I have never met anyone less interested in music than me (well perhaps my wife). A bit of trance/dance while training and well that's it :o

• Advertisement

Thursday AM: 1:30 on the turbo - legs were tired and struggled to get the heart rate up. AHR 116

Thursday Lunch: I need to wash the Garmin strap or something, giving me crap HR readings again, I was averaging in the 60's for the 9k that I had battery. Battery went on the blink at 9k, I was at 4.51 pace at that stage. I pushed a little on the way back as I had an important call to make at 2.20 so we will round it off to 13k @ 4:50. Glad that at best friday will just be a 5k trot if I can even get out for one - the legs are tired.

Friday AM: Starting a new swim plan tomorrow, gradually building up to Ironman length sets, this is a 1/2 Ironman plan which average out at about 3000m per session. I will need to be up and at these early if there is any kicking involved in them. My PB times were probably a bit weak for the first set so with a 396m TT on Wednesday it was time to get a 216 and 108 TT time. Struggled through the 216m and came in at 3.20 but the first 4 lengths of the 108 was beautiful top of the water stuff (before a 2 length struggle) and came home in 1.30 on the nose. Updated the time sheet and I see some sets that have sent a shiver through me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

1:30 For 108m is nice work. Fair play, the swimming seems to be going well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

catweazle wrote: »
    Updated the time sheet and I see some sets that have sent a shiver through me

If its the same time sheet I think it is, I did the same thing a year ago- went from very happy smiley face typing in my new 100m pb... blood drained from my face when I saw the terror sets it spat out.

Good progress over here!

Saturday AM: Found this run tough - early morning and always seem to struggle at that time. F-ing Garmin giving me low heart rates right through so might be time to fish out the Polar again. Ran by feel and wanted this to be high Z1/Low Z2 so probably averaged out around low to mid 140's. 23k @ 5.10 pace

Sunday AM: Mild and mainly dry was the forecast today - twas anything but. Sneaky weather - not quite bad enough to get on the turbo but thirty minutes into it I was saturated and freezing cold. The battery on the Edge went literally 10 minutes into the cycle - there's something wrong there, it was fully charged the last time I used it. With a decent headwind I just decided to do my old trick and grind it out towards Carraroe for as long as I can and then turn back and enjoy the tailwind.

I got to 1.50 into the ride and I just broke mentally and turned back for home. It started to clear when I got close to Claregalway but there was no changing my mind - I was heading for home!. Just over 3 hours in the end, approx 3.10/3.15

My humor wasn't improved when I saw the sneaky queen had got in 4 hours + yesterday - damn that woman!

All in all though not a bad week, 14.30 hours in total. I am tired this evening but I will try and put off an easy week till the following week as I will be in Dublin for a concert that weekend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

haha we'd much better weather in fairness...perfect weekend for cycling in the east!
    Might not want to read my log today ;)

Monday AM: I was happy to see that session 1 of the new swim sets was easy enough, there was a big drop off between my 108 and 216 pace in last weeks TT so I reaped the benefits by having my 216m sets not too bad. In the pool at 6.10am and still not time enough, the 1000m alternating between kick and freestyle took too long and I had to stop at 700ms. 6 x 216 pull off 4:20 all came in at just under 4. The 3 x 216 fs off 4 were fine too. My mind drifted in the second one and I saw 4.04 on the clock when I tipped the wall so pushed the last one to make up for it. 3.55/4.04/3.50

Monday PM: I had hoped to do a longer run than 5k and at a faster pace but my right Achilles was a little tight so no point in risking it and trotted along.

Tuesday AM: That bloody hard drive cable is taking an age to arrive so I finally cracked yesterday and took advantage of the mothers high speed broadband and downloaded Game of Thrones Season 4, so I was looking forward to this mornings turbo. An hour probably a little too easy watching that and then I decided to listen to a bit of music for the 2nd half instead which usually has me pushing a little harder. A much steadier 45 minutes had me come in at 115 overall

Tuesday Lunch: One of the staff is away in the UK for the week so I cant do the dog on lunch so a faster 10k and lunch in front of the laptop 10k @ 4.46 AR 151. After a bit of stretching last night which is super rare for me the Achilles was fine

Off to Waterford tomorrow for a late one so just the morning swim and it looks a tough session :(

Wednesday AM: Probably the first testing swim session of the year, my projected times for the Sprint sessions of the swim was quickly soft as soon as I started back regularly. So swimming better and with times updated there wont be much coasting from now on. The main part of todays set that had me worried was 5 x 108 off 2.00/1.50/1.50/2.00.

As I suspected while there is nothing wrong with my speed my speed endurance isnt there yet and was a few seconds off in the 4th set of the 1.50, I pushed hard for the last one but came in on 9.13 overall so 3 seconds off. The second set of 1.50's I broke earlier on the 3rd set and was way off making them. Nearly missed the 5 x 1.08 off 2 at the end until a bit of hustle for the last one got me under. Made a small set of 4 x 55 off 55 seconds comfortably enough. Easy enough to see that with times of 1.42/1.44/1.48/1.53/1.50 I just couldn't sustain the pace. Enjoyed the session though arms were well tired after. 2 lomg endurance sessions ahead for me and then session 5 is one I am not looking forward too. Trip to Waterford for the day then so that was that for wednesday.

Thursday AM:
    Slept in but decided seeing as it was after midnight when I got home I was going to do my full turbo session anyways. 1.45 fits nicely into 2 episodes of Game of Thrones

Thursday Lunch: I briefly contemplated changing back into bike gear for the turbo but I decided shag it and went out in a blizzard. It wasn't too bad, for once I was well prepared with a winter cycling jacket, cycling gloves, a gilet and even some cycling glasses in case of hail. It was lovely for a few minutes a light patter of snowflakes but it swiftly turned into hail and sleet. It was a pity as I felt really strong but with the slush on the ground I took it handy. Only did 7k as I took so long putting on the kit at 5.09 pace

Friday am: Need to get up earlier if I am going to get these swim sessions done, a 6:15 am start needs to be 6am for this session. Nothing to hard about this session but lots of swimming, I cut the warm up, cut the recovery times which I thought were a bit generous and left out the last section. One I enjoyed so I will try again Monday. Main set of which I managed was 2 x 800 off 16, 2 x 400 off 8 Total 2700m

Saturday evening: This was a bit of a disaster but couldn't be helped. I had more or less closed the deal on upgrading my banger to a banger with less tax. I grimaced when the seller arrived that morning as he had no support car with him so I would have to drive him back out past Gort. A trip to Castlebar was scheduled as well so all I got in was 10k around claregalway that evening. On the plus side the new car is an estate and I am drooling at all the bike space I have in the boot

Sunday morning: Worried about the frost I ended up doing a turbo session that I regretted as it turned into a lovely day, 3 hours was all I managed

While swimming and biking hours were more or less on schedule the run week was severely cut down this week, so I had planned an easy week next week but I am going to call this the easy one. With a trip to Dublin this weekend I am going to have to be creative with the weekend training, I have already been informed that her weekend runs take priority :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Cycle to Dublin!

Monday AM: Still not at the pool in time to complete this set but I am happy enough to move along to the next session as I only had to cut the warm up, active recovery and warm down down a little so the entire main set was completed. 2 x 800pb off 16 14.31 / 14.19 2 x 400 off 9 7.15/7.10 and 2 x 216 off 4 3.55/3.57. Enjoyed this session I prefer the long and steady to the quick death of short and sharp. 3100m

Monday Night: A quick trot around Claregalway - with running very little last week I was flying tonight with fresh legs but the Garmin comes in at 6.41 per km average :D 7k

Tuesday AM: I am giving up on the Garmin HR and going back to the Polar, worked fine for about a week after updating the software and now its back to its usual of either starting off in the 40's and gradually going to 0 or starting off ok and then going to 0. 1.45 on the turbo. There are some build sessions coming in soon into the plan which are badly needed as I feel I am not extending myself enough on the bike during the week. Game of Thrones doesn't help either but I am nearly finished that at least

Tuesday Lunch: A rare tailwind breeze on the way back to the house had me in nice and quick, recently the back section has ben into mostly driving wind and rain for the last few weeks. Still cold but a nice bright day 13 @ 4.43 pace AHR - 152

• Advertisement

Wednesday AM: Nothing too bad in this swim session either, bit of kick and pull and 4 x 396 off 8.20 in 7.20/7.20/7.10 and 7.05. 2800m total.

Wednesday Lunch: A slightly shorter run as I was late getting out. 10k @ 4.58 pace. A sure sign of the weight coming off is the Polar strap wouldn't stay up on the chest for love nor money :cool:

Thursday AM:
    I hadn't checked to see if the last episode of Season 4 of GOT would be extended and when it came on I knew I didn't have time to watch the full thing. It was as well off anyways as I wasn't killing myself watching the previous episode, I stuck on a recent download of a Planet Perfecto mp4 and it was quite good so the 45 minutes of that was far more productive than the 50 minutes before. 1.35 AHR 116.

Thursday lunch: 12.5k had to drive the old car down to the mechanic and ran from there, he's buying it, he has serviced it for years so he can't complain if it goes kaput on him. Lovely day again, cleaning the car out I found an old iPod that's about 3 years AWOL. Loads of old school 90s dance music on it added to a most enjoyable trot. 4.53 pace

Nasty swim session in the morning - its the one that really stood out when I first glanced at the new session times. Doubt I have much chance of holding the times but I will give it a shot anyways

How was the weekend in the big smoke? Good gig?

It was indeed - I was dragged to him a few years ago by the wife (Ennio Morricone) when we were up in Belfast in the Waterfront. While I am not much of a music man I love my films so I was blown away when I realized I knew most of the songs - particularly the Western ones!

Good concert - the only thing I would say is that the Point, O2, 3 Arena wasn't as cool a place as the Waterfront for a concert like that

Any training done? :pac: Walking around shops doesn't count! :D

Friday AM: As mentioned this session looked by far the hardest one in the plan for me. Main set called for 10 x 216 off 4:20 - I found the first two and the last two hardest to maintain but they were all relatively ok coming in all around the 3.55 mark.

I took my time on the active recovery and then off I went on 10 x 108 off 1:50. I didn't even get close to holding these but I wont be too hard on myself as I gave it a god effort. Over 4000m of swimming in this session so it was my longest set ever.

Saturday Am: The wife relented and I had a 2 hour window early doors for a run before heading for Dublin. I thought the Polar was reading wrong as I was high 160's low 170's for the entire first hour, however I stopped to tie my shoelaces and the heart rate went down and back up again so pehaps its just my usual high heart rate from running in the morning. It was fairly dark for the first 20 minutes and I jumped a mile a few times when I woke up something in the bushes as I went along. Very slow running 5.24 pace, just over 20k

Sunday Lunchtime: I had hoped the fog would have lifted by now but it was down for the day so I went on the turbo for two hours when I got home. While I didn't drink last night I was still wrecked and this was kept at an easy enough pace

Monday AM: My first real sleeping it out excuse - too late for the planed session so just did 1200m and headed home again

Monday Evening: Usually when I get a chance to do this session its just a short trot, but with heading to Kerry for the day tomorrow I pushed out the speed and distance a little bit. 8k @ 4.53 pace

Tuesday AM: 1.30 on the turbo - back finally trying to finish out the last few episodes of Breaking bad. The sound quality is very low so I had to do big gear work to keep the turbo volume level a little lower so I can hear. I will have it all watched before the build sessions come in and then its music only

Wednesday AM: The morning swim consisted of a lot of 54m sets, I have always struggled with the little recovery's I get on these and would prefer sets of 108 with the same pace. The main set consisted of two 16 x 54 off 1 minutes, I struggled with the first one coming in around the 54 second mark each time, I eased off slightly on the second set and seemed to settle at a more manageable 57 seconds for each one. 3000ms in total

Wednesday Lunch: Predictably with no run yesterday I toddled along nicely on this session. I need to sort out the HRM and get at least one of my 4 working :rolleyes:. Held it to what I considered was the higher end of zone 2 and came in @ 4.43 pace for 13k

Thursday AM: 1.40 on the turbo - again I just stuck it in a heavy gear so I could hear the laptop over it. Doubt the heart rate was very high but the legs were very heavy going up to the attic in the office

Thursday Lunch: With the possibility of having a long run tomorrow night I very nearly justified reducing down to 10k to save myself for it. Very cold toy but once I warmed up a little I didn't have too much angst at running past the 10k turnaround and completing the 13k. A little slower at 4.51 pace

Friday AM: I need to look at the three scheduled swims on a week to week basis an move the longest to wednesday when I have more time. The kicking is taking too long. Anyways still an alright session I got most of it in and will redo it next week 2800m swam

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

16* 50 off 3 second rest? were they fast 50? not a lot of recovery there if so

No they were both descending - but he has made a comment that the second set would have less recovery due to tiredness. Being honest I had forgotten at the time that they were supposed to be descending and just muddled through them.

lol....the more things change........

You all set for Sunday? Don't be getting chicked down there now! :pac:

• Advertisement

Friday Night: With the wife out on a big one, I was doubtful I would get anything in on Saturday so I suggested that we should go in and stay with the granny that night. So once I put the kids to bed I got 19k in and around Salthill / Town - not ideal recovery food but when I got back at 10 that night I sat down to a nice feed of curry chips. I still don't trust the Polar it looked a little high for the pace I was going at 19k @ 5.09 pace 162 AHR

Saturday Lunchtime: I had a window of an hour as one of the kids was having her nap as the wife forlornly sat on the couch watching Ice Age with the other fella. Decided as it was a lovely day just to run over to Oranmore and back on the TT bike. It was only 32k but I must admit I enjoyed being back on it, not often I hold 30kph + fairly comfortably on the bike

Sunday: My first time mountain biking and I had a good laugh to myself going up the hill to the first trail with BTH to look back at the 3 lads that came with us from Galway, either walking up or exhausted already. It was going to be a long day for Eugene!

We did a quick loop of the 6k trail and I shat my pants for practically the entire trail, shoulders and knuckles stiff as boards from all the clenching and near misses.

We met the other boardies for the 2nd 17k loop and I had grown a slightly bigger pair of balls for that trail until I fell on my arse over the handlebars, luckily no-one in sight so jumped on again and pretended nothing happened.

Injury Disaster struck later for one of our female participants who shall remain nameless as she was on strict instructions to not saddle up in the first place and I was never so cold waiting before the next section to see what could be done for her. They found a quick way down the mountain so off we went to the finish where I made the mistake of going in front of Career Move so I had to go faster than I had planned to not hold her up.

All in all I enjoyed it although its certainly not something that I would do every week, its a nice set up down there and very cheap if you have a bike. I can see why some ex mountain bikers have done very well road biking, there can be some very short steep hill sections within a trail

Monday AM: ****-it$^%£& arrived at the pool and had forgotten the togs, have a conference call this evening so more than likely no run and its going to have to be a late night swim to make up for it

Advertisement