Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A higher state of cardiovascularness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

it is a really nice setup. sorry I missed ye yesterday,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Monday night: With a late one tomorrow in Cork I decided that I would be better served going for a run rather than a swim. 7.5k around Claregalway, started out very stiff and slow but was running well towards the end of it. 7.5k @ 5.06 pace

Tuesday AM: 1.40 on the turbo before heading to Cork, I didn't realize that there was 16 episodes of Breaking Bads final season I only had 8 episodes of Breaking Bad downloaded so I was distinctively underwhelmed at the ending until I googled it. As well off I have to pedal slowly during conversational sections so I will make sure and download a better quality for the last 8

Wednesday AM: It was very late getting back last night so I just went down and did a straight easdy session to get back into it. 4 x 396 with the pull buoy and got gradually quicker as I went along 7.30/7.20/7.10/7.00. 2000m in total

Wednesday Lunch:
    A little tight for time as I had a conference call after lunch I cut it back to 10k, couldn't find Garmin so just went on RPE. Would expect I was comfortably under 5 minute pace

Thursday AM:
    ****e session, hopefully will get another one in this evening. Loraine had friends over last night so it was a late one for her so had to get the kids ready. Approx an hour, maybe a little less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

catweazle wrote: »

Monday AM: ****-it$^%£& arrived at the pool and had forgotten the togs,

That frantic ten seconds when you consider if underwear would suffice, or worse, before throwing in the towel and heading home...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Was it a swim or turbo that was sh1te this morning?

I have BB season 5 on a USB key. Decent quality too if you want it. I have 3 episodes left on season 5.

Turbo.............where possible swim is monday, wed and fri! Might take you up on that offer, although grannies unlimited broadband and super fast connection on mondays makes it nearly as easy to get it.

Speaking of broadband Aidan is highly recommending this company that sorted out his broadband woes http://www.lightnet.ie/ looks like we can access it to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Sunday: My first time mountain biking and I had a good laugh to myself going up the hill to the first trail with BTH to look back at the 3 lads that came with us from Galway, either walking up or exhausted already. It was going to be a long day for Eugene!

We did a quick loop of the 6k trail and I shat my pants for practically the entire trail, shoulders and knuckles stiff as boards from all the clenching and near misses.

We met the other boardies for the 2nd 17k loop and I had grown a slightly bigger pair of balls for that trail until I fell on my arse over the handlebars, luckily no-one in sight so jumped on again and pretended nothing happened.

Injury Disaster struck later for one of our female participants who shall remain nameless as she was on strict instructions to not saddle up in the first place and I was never so cold waiting before the next section to see what could be done for her. They found a quick way down the mountain so off we went to the finish where I made the mistake of going in front of Career Move so I had to go faster than I had planned to not hold her up.

All in all I enjoyed it although its certainly not something that I would do every week, its a nice set up down there and very cheap if you have a bike. I can see why some ex mountain bikers have done very well road biking, there can be some very short steep hill sections within a trail.

Hahahahaha!

;)

It's my memory of getting to that fire road while using the bike as a crutch and listening to Oryx's constant chatter (to keep my mind off my misery) over a handful of kilometers on a narrow/winding/uneven mountain trail that has me in stitches right now. And yes, it was very cold. :)

Thursday Lunch: Conference call at 2.15 so 10k was all I could do, couldn't find any paraphernalia so no idea of pace or heart rate.

Friday AM: Another crap swim, just didn't get up in time to get the planned session in, I then failed getting past the door crack challenge so I then had to get the young lad comfortable with an Ice age movie before I could go and just ended up pissing about for 1000m

Friday Evening: With a catch up swim planned the gym guys hadn't bothered updating their timetable so the kids classes that were supposed to finish at 6, weren't over till 6:30. So 30 minutes luxuriating in the jacuzzi wasn't the best preparation for this. When I got a lane two kids then jumped in as well with me, I must be getting soft since I became a dad myself as years ago I would have just ran them out of the lane, now I ended up just breast stroking behind them as they were trying to swim at least. No point in giving out as I wasn't going to get the session in anyways. 500ms

I came home to the wife saying I look terrible and that I am training too hard :D. The last week or two has been the least I have done in a while, she did know I was pissed off at the useless week though so she was very accommodating over the weekends training especially as she has a wedding next weekend

Saturday AM: A new trick to get the run in was I was going to run from the grannies house back to the home house - again my sister and mom said I look like **** as well :confused:. Anyways didnt quite work out as planned but it was ok, I took off from Jurys in town instead and included a little of my local loop to get it to 24k. Boring run against traffic, I couldnt believe how many women were driving along texting at high speed, a cop with a Go Pro could do some serious damage if he took the same route. Run wasnt bad, seemed to get a second wind after 12k and from 5.10 pace I kept the rest around the low 4.50s to get in at 5.00 pace for the 24k. Felt strong except for the last 2 where I was fading fast. I should have realised with the amount of cyclists that came but that some people were smart enough to look at the forecast that weekend

Sunday Afternoon:
    A bit of jiggery pokery with the kids meant I postponed the morning cycle till the afternoon, it was supposed to clear and I couldnt face 3/4 hours again on the turbo, particularly when I had nothing to watch. I headed off just after 12 during a dry spot but it didn't last long and it was just an awful cycle, I manged 2.15 hours against a driving headwind averaging just over 20kph, things obviously improved with the tailwind but I couldn't move into the big ring for some reason so I had it in the 11 all the way home I would expect. I was frozen, hungry and miserable getting in the door but after a shower and some food I was at least satisfied that it was not far off 4 hours cycling in awful conditions so the weekend was better than the week for a change. 93 kilometres at 24.8kph AHR - 115

Monday AM: A decent start to the week at least, finally got the session I kept missing in. Main set was 32 x 54 off 1.10 trying to keep a planned race pace, I have no idea of my race pace yet but I felt stronger as these went on and gradually moved down from 53/54s to 50/51s. 2200m in total

I came home to the wife saying I look terrible and that I am training too hard :D.

my sister and mom said I look like **** as well :confused:.

I just remember being struck by your nice cheekbones and jeans. :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I just remember being struck by your nice cheekbones and jeans. :)

Finally my penchant for tight jeans pay off

man-likes-tight-jeans.jpeg

Monday Evening: Had to drop the car down to the mechanic so a quick 5k run from there, no Garmin but kept it easy

Tuesday AM: Armed with a higher res download of the final 8 Breaking Bad series I got two episodes in this morning. Did a small pyramid of big gear / recovery and kept it reasonably steady after that. 1.35 Turbo

Tuesday Lunch: Rarely for me I was actually pleased to see a small bit of work finally enter a run, nothing too much just 3 x 3 minutes in Z4 with a minute recovery. Decided with no reliable hrm that I would just do my trusty 800m run 3 times. I wasn't sure what I would go off at so I started out at 4.10 pace, towards the end I was too comfortable so I pushed it a little and did the other 2 at sub 4 minute pace 4.04/3.55/3.58 pace. Enjoyed these but I remember this time last year I was doing 10 or 12 reps of them before Craughwell so a long way to go. 12k in total @ 4.50 pace

Wednesday AM: Nearly got the middle distances sessions complete so will be moving up next week. This one was handy enough, a little mix of all distances, the 3 x 416 off 4.20 were in around 3.50 and the 2 x 396 off 8 came in around 7.10-7.15 pace. Some 6 x 54ms off 1 were around 55-56 pace/ 2300m in total

Wednesday Lunch:
    I think its the weather that's getting me down, another windy, wet, cold run........I don't ever remember such a bad stretch and it sjust wearing down my motivation. Talked myself into 10k and when I realized it wasnt that bad a day in actuality I kept going for 13k. 13k @ 4.54 pace

• Advertisement

Thursday AM: 1:40 on the turbo

Thursday lunch: I was feeling the legs for this one so took it a little easier, hrm finally seemed to kick in properly towards the end was in the lows 140s. 13k at 5:04 pace

Friday AM: A small bit if a lie in as the wife was heading to a wedding that day so she had the day off. It ended up being a bit of a washout as it's been so long since I was in after after 8am I got caught by a load of guys I haven't seen in ages. I got a rundown of the Ballinrobe duathlon off one guy to be hit by another lad debating whether he should get a Scott or cube and asking me my opinion. I hadn't a clue obviously. Only 1800m done of a planned 2300 in the end of it all

Friday lunch: the wife had the mother in law primed to let me off for an hour around lunch time so With a big run planned the following day I just hopped up on the turbo for 40 minutes

Saturday AM: brought the kids over to the mothers house for the morning and dumped them on her. I came back 2:17 later ready to high 5 the lot of them. Whatever about bike and swim my running is in good shape. 27k @ 5:03 pace AHR - 145. Felt very strong right through. My evening was ruined however looking at the queens 140k jaunt on her log that night

Sunday AM: As I was humming and hawing on whether turbo or road I look out the window and it's snowing :eek: That was the end of any debate and 3 episodes of Breaking Bad interspersed with one sufferfest video later I was finished and was ready to reap the benefits of two days with the kids by having the reward of uninterrupted viewing of the rugby. It's so unusual to see such structure and discipline from an Irish team, what a coach!

That's Breaking Bad over with thank Christ, while I enjoyed it, it was deffo taking way from my sessions. No more box sets from now on

A better week :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Weather was the same over here, you have no idea how happy I was as I froze my pants off on my run this morning that I'd done my long bike yesterday. If it's any consolation, I only ran 26k ;)

it's an awful pity you two aren't doing the same IM :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

pgibbo wrote: »
    it's an awful pity you two aren't doing the same IM :D

We're the same day so might as well be, mine is tougher though ;)

You didn't look too happy running through Claregalway last night CW, Lovely mild evening for it! :pac:

You didn't look too happy running through Claregalway last night CW, Lovely mild evening for it! :pac:

I bet I will be a lot happier than doing the same thing tonight if I get caught in one of those hailstorms.

Bloody childminder will be out sick for the week - my lunchtime runs are in tatters and my mornings are cut to **** now :(

Try this instead or this ;)

Try this instead or this ;)

Cycling!!!!!:D;):confused::eek::eek: Who knew!

Monday AM: The usual truncated swim session but not too bad, got most of the harder work in. Main set was 6 x 216 off 4:20 and I only got 2 x 216 off 4:00 in after instead of 4

Monday Evening: I hadn't planned to do anything this evening but a phonecall off the childminder at 6 saying she is out sick for the week got me off my ass. Hence the scowl Gibbo!

I wasn't sure what to do but with the likelihood of only one session most days for the week I decided I would run a little bit faster than a normal monday run. Was at 4.39 for 5k and then I said this was silly and I probably would get out again tomorrow made me slow for the last 4k. 9k @ 4.50

Tuesday AM: I need to finish the morning sessions earlier than usual now as well. Decided to put a bit of quality into this as it might be all I get done today and stuck on the Hell Hath No Fury Sufferfest, certainly I didnt go at full throttle but an above average session for me all the same. 1:20 session

Tuesday Evening: As expected I got a window just before 6. A bad day at work and I just saw the rain lashing outside and I said **** this I am sick of it, went down to the pool more to get a break from the kids, some steady steamroom / jacussi work and an easy 400m swim was all I bothered with. Decided to rush home to read the young lads bedtime books as at least I would have a clear run for a decent run session tomorrow night instead.

Will try and get to bed early tonight as I will need to be in the pool super early to get the full session in as there is some kick work in it

Wednesday AM: I got to bed early but still slept it in, slept right through alarm. I wont complain just over 7 hours which has been one of the best midweek snoozes in a long time.I had to pear back the kickboard and warm up and down but overall I was happy enough as I got the main set in this time. 6 x 216 off 4.20 with Pull buoy and 4 x 216 off 4.00. The pull buoy work was easy, I started to drift out to 4.05 on the third rep without it but that was more daydreaming than tiredness so a bit of renewed vigor on the 4th got me in on time. Approx 3.50-3.55 for almost all of them 2600m

Wednesday Evening: An uneventful run around Claregalway, reckon the Garmin was acting upo for the first 2k as I wasn't going 6:00 + kilometres but after that I started to take it down to 5.05 for the 11k

Thursday AM: Concentrated again a little more on quality with less time to play with so Sufferfest Angels. Not bad first time watching it and the bit of hill work wont do me any harm. 1.05

Thursday Evening: The young lad was getting a swim lesson so a quick watch of him and then a 10k run. Legs felt very heavy I expect this was carry over from the turbo this morning. 5.09 pace

Friday AM: Again a little shaved off the end as in no warm down or 108TT but happy enough with the session, a decent distance. 6 x 396 off 8:00, it was supposed to be 8:20 but I needed every minute I could save, came in between 7.20-7.30 on all of them. 3 x 216 off 4:00 which were 3.55s. Good session and worth the dirty looks from the wife as I came home a few minutes late ;)3200m

A little down on run volume for the week but was probably the one I could afford a little leeway, bike as well but the sessions were better and a reasonable swim week.

You about for a cycle Sunday morning?

• Advertisement

You about for a cycle Sunday morning?

He's checking with Mrs. C..... ;)

Ya weather for a change looks reasonable too, approx 8-9 I should be let off the leash!

Saturday am: Another nasty day but I am not as fussy weather wise when running as I am on the bike. The forecast was good for Sunday as well so I took some consolation in that. The plan was 2:30 around the locality and I had hopes of getting in 30k if I could hold 5 minute pace but I knew faily early on that this was going to be a slog. It ended up being very hard work particularly on the way home against the wind - last few ks the legs were really creaking. 27.5k, finished nice and early at least

Sunday AM: A consequence of being out with Gibbo was that when I finally looked at the clock when I got home I was only 3:20 into a cycle of 4 hours, pace was much quicker than my usual Sunday jaunts. The battery on the Garmin went almost straight away so I was clueless about pace and time. We had estimated I would be doing 100k but I need to take a few ks off as that distance would only be if I went from the house for the second loop. First time out on the TT bike for a long ride since Kenmare and once I left Paul I tried to stay down on the bars, back was in bits fairly quickly so will need plenty of practice on that

That dawned on me after you peeled away and I was nearly home :o

Cracking morning for it though. Nice spin. Cheers.

Monday AM: The truncated swim but not too bad, I got in 8 x 216 off 4:20 and 6 x 108 off 2:00 before I had to head off. I will be more than happy to do the full one on Wednesday - I like the long endurance sessions, short fast ones...........not so much! 2600m

Monday Evening: An easy 5k around Claregalway - I would have had more time for the run if I had stayed and ran from the house but I enjoy a nice jacuzzi, steamroom session as much as the next man so off I went.

Tuesday AM: I foolishly decided to watch the ITU highlights after the Arsenal match the night before - can hardly remember any of it as I was nodding off throughout. But the consequence of this was that I slept it in for the morning session, again the actual session was decent quality a reasonably decent crack at Sufferfests The Hunted which has a decent hill session in it. One thing I did notice is that the mornings are getting bright earlier, you would get away with 6:30ish as long as you had some decent reflective gear. 1 hour 10 minutes approx

Tuesday Lunch: With the childminder back its back to the lunchtime runs. Lovely day for it - the first signs of spring were confirmed by seeing plenty of lambs on the route. I had planned to do 10k and then 4 x 800 at 4 minute pace but left the run late and my legs were still feeling the turbo so cut it to 8k + 4 x 800 @ 4.15 pace. I felt more comfortable as these went on 4.15/4.10/4.08/4.02

Interval running might not be of huge benefit to what I am doing this summer as I will hardly be running at paces close to that on the IM waddle but I don't mind doing them, it makes a change from the usual and anything under 4.15 pace is sub 1:30 1/2 Marathon pace :)

wednesday am Got the full session of Mondays in. All the 8's 8 x 216 off 4:20' 8x108 off 2:00 and 8 x54 off 1:00. Struggled towards the back end of the 108s but a big fat guy who hasn't been around for a while was in the other lane and he is always bang on 2 minutes so I just concentrated on staying with him. Strange morning usually I am the only one in there at that hour. Another lad got in and I never saw such a smooth stroke in my life. 7/8 strokes a length and I am up around 12/13. Myself and Tubby could only watch and admire how effortless it looked. Talked to him after, Aussie guy - never had a lesson in his life, read Total Immersion about 4 years ago. So did I :( anyways 3200m good session

Wednesday lunch legs were tired so didn't kill myself on this one. 13k @ 5:04 pace

Thursday AMNot a bad turbo session, sufferfests local hero, I hadn't done it before and I was daydreaming at the start so I wasn't sure what was involved. A solid session, can't remember the last time I did sprints on the bike 1:30

Thursday evening I spent all afternoon waiting for a conference call that never came, I got out at 5:45 and I had planned to cut it to 10k as I didn't think I would be up too much. After a few k the legs seemed to loosen up, heart rate was rock solid at low 140's and I picked up the pace. It was such a smooth run I started to worry that I was running like a bender, straight back, long strides, light feet and windmill arms. Certainly did my times no harm and the last 10k were all in the 4:30's. Got the Garmin working again after a few washes deffo runs off lower than the Polar no way would I run 13k 4:42 average with 140 bpm.

Some solid sessions this week, going to have to be creative for the weekend as the wife is off socialising again in Dublin although she might be back Saturday night yet

Friday AM Found this swim session tough enough, main section was 6 x 432 with 50s and 100s off 1 and 2 minutes. Basically it worked out as off 8:30 and was coming in at 8 minutes. arms were tired towards the end. 3000m

The good weather has brought the in laws frothing at the mouth over the lawn, the bro in law has made it plainly obvious I won't be getting his trailer and tow bar this year. I should have got one sorted way back but I put it on the long finger but with potential huge disruption of training I have to get it sorted this week as I have it planned for the easy Friday evenings. The new car has been in the mechanics practically since I got it, why did I sell the banger :mad:

Saturday AM The wife decided she was skipping the drinking session up in Dublin so she was only going up for the day instead. I had planned to do another 2:30 run but with the lovely morning that was in it I let her off for her run before she went and paired mine back to 2 hours. I am happy with my running anyways at this stage of the game, I am getting the work done. Lovely morning but poor run, I don't run well at this time, I turned for home at 58 minutes with 11k done but started to get faster on the way back so threw in an extra few minutes past the house getting a little closer to two hours. 23k @ 5:09 AHR 139

Sunday AM Again the faster pace with Paul has me home much sooner than planned, I had planned 4 hours which would be around 100k at my usual pace. But meeting Paul at the top of the road had me averaging near 29kph by the time he left, I threw in the extra bit out to Abbeyknockmoy that would get me over the 100k mark but when I got back to the house I can see I only did 3:30 in the end of it all. Still good cycle and the extra pace will do me good. Hoping to go out Tuesday again for a decent one if I can work around the parade

Monday AM Total shock for us today as probably the first sleepless night in well over a year as the young lad had a cough and was constantly walking into us giving out. I just turned off the alarm at 5am as I wasn't getting up at 6 after that night, he came in again at 7 so at that stage I just brought him down to the TV and shagged off for 40 minutes to the pool. Did an easy 1000m, hoping to get out for a nice run later but it's not looking promising work wise - I thought it would be an easy day with plenty of people off buts it's proving to not be the case

Monday Lunch: Cant remember the pace for the life of me. I wanted to keep this fairly easy and have it in one of the lower zones. Think it ended up around 5 minute pace and 137 average heart rate. 13k in total

Tuesday AM: The plan was for a three hour cycle but between parades and a social visit the window got less and less. I eventually got out but my time was halved - started out handy enough but then decided as I was still reasonably close to holding 30kph I decided I would put in a good hours work on the TT. Happy enough how it went I pushed hard on the drags and headwind sections - 31.5kph for the first hour 40k in total.

Fair play the little one was doing wonders with her afternoon nap time when I got home so a rare brick run was thrown into the mix. Started out in the 4.50s and gradually came down to the 4.20s by the finish of the 5k. Heart rate nice and low but was rising fast on the last km. 5k @ 4.40 pace 136AHR

Wednesday AM:
    I felt sluggish and just wasn't interested in the large amounts of kick board in todays session. Having not had a decent swim in a week I decided I would suffer through an endurance set instead, so 8 x 396 off 8:00 alternating FS with PB was the tonic. All came in around the 7:30 mark, was nice to see it got easier as I got longer into it. 3500m

Wednesday Lunch: A bit of a slog this run - although it was helped by being a nice day - although I had dispensed with the gloves and hat, a base layer and running jersey was too warm and I was roasting. First time in a long time I had the shades out as well so cant complain. 13k @ 4.54 142 AHR

Thursday AM: For once I was well organised - and the decision was made to go and cycle over to the hill at Abbeyknockmoy and do some repeats. I underestimtated how cold it was at 6:30 though and I hadnt enough layers on. I got 5k down the road and I couldn't feel my fingers and I was frozen so the decision was to turn back with my tail between my legs and go on the turbo. That plan was scuppered as well as the young lad had spotted me coming in the gate. I was going to chase this session later but decided not to, I was tired and irritable last night and although I got to bed early perhaps missing a session might be of more benefit

Thursday Lunch: I reduced back to a 10k run, catching up on the bike session missed would probably have been more beneficial but saturday is the long run day and I dont like doing an important run with two days of non running before it as I never seem to run well. Kept this easy and in Z1, 5:09 pace AHR - 135

Friday AM: Tough session, main set was 4 x 648 (4 x 108 off 2:00 / 1 x 216 off 4:20). I found the first two harder than the last ones as I had settled into a rhythm at that stage 3000m

Might get an easy bike in later if I get a window but I usually don't on fridays

Mechanic finally thinks he has the car fixed so hoping to get it today or tomorrow. Tow Bar going on it so the hunt for a trailer this weekend starts

• Advertisement

Saturday AM: Another early doors run - a brief discussion with the wife on layers - she was back in the door at 8:30 with only a t-shirt. I didn't trust her and wore a baselayer under the t-shirt and I was glad I did as I was frozen for about an hour. I am getting better at these morning runs I got up and ate at 6:15am so I would have some sort of digestion done by the time I got out. Heart Rate in the 50's just as I head off is always a good sign - I wasnt sure if I would do 25k or the 27.5k route, its nice that you don't have to choose till 18k. After the first 3 or 4 in the low 5:30s/high 5:20s, the times gradually came down. I ended up doing the 27.5kph at 5:10 average, after working properly for almost 2 hours the monitor then drops down to the 50's for the last 30 minutes or so. Was low all the way through so I will guesstimate I might have just got over a 130 average towards the end. Happy with this, on the last two 27k efforts the legs were creaking at the 25/26 mark - but today I was feeling good and my last few ks were in the 4:40s. 27.5k @ 5:10 AHR -131.

Off to Castlebar for the afternoon to pick up a trailer from some mountain man from Bangor Erris - the young lad couldn't understand a word and didn't know what to make of him. The plan was then circus with the young lad and cut the grass sunday. However with every redneck in law in the country over to look at the trailer I gave into the pressure and cut it there and then, took me hours the run was easier on the legs :rolleyes:

Sunday AM: As feared this change in plan bit me in the ass, the wife had to go to a removal in the last afternoon so the Circus was scheduled for two instead of the 5 o clock show and I only got out at 9:15. Just over 3 hours of cycling so I tried to make the most of it by doing a good few hill repeats of a short sharp 10% in Briarhill and then a slightly longer stretch over by the mothers house in Knocknacarra * 3.05 hours - 72km

* Was very disappointed to just get a wave from BTH and then watch him put the foot down as he sped away - looks like unless I was festooned in Tri Collinamuck regalia I am not worthy of a small chat and a congratulatory pat on his back at his recent good news

Advertisement