Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A higher state of cardiovascularness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

catweazle wrote: »
    3.05 hours - 72kph

Solid pace

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

pointer28 wrote: »
    Solid pace

Not bad for a hill session what?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Not bad for a hill session what?!

I couldn't manage 72 kph down a bloody hill!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Amended now - you can cancel your Catweazle World Hour Record front row seats :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

1) I'm more impressed with your 27.5kph run

2) I didn't know it was you, I just waved cos I'm a nice guy.

3) you didn't even wave back, stuck up p____.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

don't mind him cw, he's just intimidated by the amount of training you;re flying through...

Monday AM: 30 x 108 off 2:00 - a little piece of me died last night reading that. I dont know why - it actually wasnt that bad once I got into it. No time to do them all but I got 27 x 108 done. I struggled on the first few and went out to losing 6 seconds by the 10th set but I gradually started to level out and then sneak the odd second back here and there to finish on time. I did cheat though and used the pull buoy - I dont know why really just I think it helped me start the session in the first place - anyways I am forever destined to repeat mondays set on wednesdays anyways as I have more time then so I wont use the pull buoy tomorrow. 3100m

Monday Evening: I had literally 20 minutes free while the young lad was getting his swim lesson so a quick jog around the industrial estate and back for 4k. I wonder what I did for 3 years bringing him swimming once or twice a week to see how well he is progressing with the lessons although she has an advantage as he will listen to her while he just ignores me

Tuesday AM:
    I had the bike all packed up last night to drive over to the hill in Abbeyknockmoy. Its not much of one, approx 1.5k with one or two flat sections and the rest varying between 5-10%. I got caught in a heavy shower and once again I was frozen, particularly the hands, I dont know why the Giro winter gloves seem to be so poor they were fine last year. I have found the missing Castelli Dulivios anyways so problems solved - a magnificent set of gloves!

I did 5 repeats in all - not enough and I would have been far better served on the turbo for the time it takes to get over and back to there.

Tuesday Lunch: I wasn't going to do intervals but after such a poor bike session today I talked myself into it. I was a little easy on myself though targeting 5 x 800 @ 4.15 pace with one minute recovery and the guilt gradually built up and forced me to move a little quicker towards the end. Last one was desperate I was actually breathing ok but my form was desperate and my arms were all over the place. 1,3 and 5 were against a stiff breeze. 4.15/4.04/4.04/3.56/3.46

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

mossym wrote: »
    don't mind him cw, he's just shellshocked with the impact the new arrival has on training...

FYP ;)

Don't mind that AKW, I had to drop something in the last day and I heard his missus praising him away.

"Oh hes great after he comes back from his Sunday cycle he takes the baby and falls asleep with him on the couch for a few hours"

There was steam coming out my ears as I was leaving, not only does he still get his Sunday morning cycle in, he then gets a nap on the couch......and she still thinks hes f-ing great :mad:

Some guys have all the luck!

Ah here!! There's two kids in that house so! A nap on a Sunday afternoon?! Jebus

• Advertisement

Wednesday AM: I was way off on my 2nd attempt at 30 x 108 off 2:00. I was 30 seconds down after 10, held the next 10 but didn't take a few seconds back off what I lost and while I felt I was swimming with a better rhythm for the last 10 I lost more seconds. Need to do more work with the kickboard - with the length of these sessions and the time I have to do them the board always gets dropped. Not overly disappointed though, anytime I do 3900m in a session couldn't be a bad thing

Wednesday Lunch:
    I have the straight hour for lunch the next 3 days - no little liberties so back down to 10k runs and lunch in front of the puter. This once came in at 4.42 pace

Thursday AM: Back to the turbo and I had a look at Tunneys turbo of the week. The HRM was telling me I was varying between the 40's and 70's for the entirety of the session so I went off RPE. While I felt it was an honest effort it might not have been honest enough as I recovered quickly after each of them and threw on another 2 at the end as I had time.

Thursday Lunch: Started out a little bit slow and stiff on this run but a nasty squall on the way back soon had me high tailing it back home. 10k 4.43 pace

Friday AM: This was better, 50 x 54 off 1:10, with a view to do these at Ironman pace. I have no idea of what that will be for another while but I kept these steady and they all came in around 50-53 seconds. I was tiring a little after 50 minutes but I was more or less finished at that stage. 3000m

Saturday AM: The first very poor run in a long time, I had visions of 29.5k setting out but I was slogging it from the start. Went out the road for 11k so 22k when I got back to the house for a bottle I had left behind the wall. Very windy and I was just wrecked by the time I got back so shelved the local loop. 22k @ 5:09 pace

Sunday AM: Another ****e morning but I was desperate to avoid the turbo. There was a break in the weather so off I went. Weather held up well for the first hour. There was a nice tailwind from Oranmore to Craughwell.....ticking along down on the aero bars and the low roar of a disc wheel comes flying by, wtf was someone doing out in full TT gear at this time of year I wondered. A minute later a road bike comes steaming by and then another lad a few minutes later, I look at my Garmin and I am averaging 38kph for this stretch :confused: I eventually twig it when I see some lad legging out of his car with a clipboard and stopwatch looking very hard and wondering who the hell I was as I went by. A club TT competition.

The weather turned when I got to Craughwell and it was just horrendous till I got to Monivea. To cap it off I got a blowout just before Monivea on the back tyre. I was blessed it was the first time in ages I had remembered to stuff the pump in the back pocket. Surprisingly enough I was quite efficient for me in changing the tube and I thought I wouldn't lose so much time as I would expect if it happens to me in a race. However I made a right bollox of the chain which took me ages to fix and left me covered in chain oil. Nice hole in the tyre which had me worried for the rest of the ride

I was blue with the cold at this stage and I knew I could get home quicker if I went through Monivea, of course I got hopelessly lost but eventually got home without too much incidents. Once again not enough done but at least I was happy with my improvements in changing a tube. 70k

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

using you for a nice draft were they cw? fecking cheats:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Damn I knew I shoulda tried squeeze in a 3 hour spin today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice work on the puncture. Better than the last one you got :pac:

Monday AM: Less distance than recent sets which I welcomed as I was wrecked getting up. I am getting the hang of going to bed early during the week but I feel cheated if I head to bed early on a weekend night and 3 late nights in a row bite me in the ass on a Monday. 10 x 108 off 2 with pull bouy and 10 x 54 off 1:00 both finished out. 2000m in total

I was due to do my regular easy run that evening but it was just horrendous out so I binned it - went to bed early feeling fat and wracked with guilt :o

Tuesday AM: Back on the wagon with a reasonable turbo session - no TV is a big help as it makes it easier to concentrate. 5 x 10 minute steady with 2 minutes recovery

Tuesday Lunch: Got lucky for a change and managed to get the run in between showers, very windy - I hate training in the wind. 10k @ 4.45 pace - bit of a slog

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

catweazle wrote: »
    went to bed early feeling fat

Does that mean you've shaved?

Have you done any 4.5 to 5 hour bikes yet?
    Also, have you trialled nutrition on the bike & long runs yet?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Does that mean you've shaved?

Absolutely not - the beard is staying!
    * Although I had to agree to a trim before we go for a night out this weekend, they are so busy giving out about the beard I am getting an easy ride on my weight
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Have you done any 4.5 to 5 hour bikes yet?
    Also, have you trialled nutrition on the bike & long runs yet?

4.15 x 2 is the longest I have been out and that was a while back. I always eat before I go out so I tend not to have anything besides perhaps a nutrigrain on the bike

Longest run has been 2.25, have done a good few over 2 at this stage and haven't felt the need to take a gel yet.

More than likely I will go with my trusty Nutrigrains and Kinetica colas, although I will have to nail my wife down on her intention to stay and watch the race and give me gels as I didn't enjoy 5/6 gels jumping around in my tri suit back pocket down in Kenmare. I wont be surprised to see her hit the shops for the bike and fail to get back till the end of the run

You'll have eaten the morning of the race too. I'd recommend a couple of test runs of your nutrition before the day. An IM is a long way and you don't want to find that after 8 hours things aren't agreeing with you. A lot different to a HIM.

Time to start upping the time on the bike so ;) 12 weeks or so?

• Advertisement

Oh. My. God. Let me tell you about nutrition gone wrong! Now granted, my screw up was the fried seafood bonanza, spicy fishy stew, and Chinese takeout I feasted on the day before my IM :rolleyes:...but the point is, if you get this wrong, then you will be hating life by the time you get to the run, visiting every porta loo along the course, and not caring about how utterly disgusting the loos are because the cramping and nausea you feel is so bad that you don't even think twice about sitting on the toilet with your bare @ss on the seat touching god-only-knows-what. :eek: And just when you think you've successfully emptied the entire contents of your bowels into the pit below, you reach for the roll of toilet paper only to realize that there is none there....and because you don't really give a sh*t at that moment, you either wipe your @ss with a stray and slightly worn piece of paper you find on the floor in front of you, or you say "feck it" and pull up your pants and get shuffling off to the next porta loo as is.

Yeah, start working on that nutrition now. !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Aaahhhh Dory! I was eating my breakfast :eek: :)

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Aaahhhh Dory! I was eating my breakfast :eek: :)

This is called tough love, Sb8. Cw needs to know the living hell he'll be in if he doesn't take nutrition seriously before and during the race....'cause it ain't pretty if he screws it up. :eek::eek::eek:

Ah Dory - that reminds me of almost every Saturday night in my nightclub days!

I see its Powerbar on the menu over there, the tropical Guyana sounds awful but strawberry and banana gels might work - will pick up a few this weekend and see what they are like

Are you suggesting Paul to go out unfed in the mornings on one of these epic long bikes/brick runs that I am about to endure and scoff nutrigrains and gels and see how I get on?

Now some training

Wednesday AM: With a paltry 1850m swim on the schedule I decided to have a go at a 396m TT and see if I could get down from the 6.27 of a few months ago. Although I did beat it by 5 seconds with a 6.22 I wasn't happy with how I was going - the left hand touched the walls first most times and I am not used to turning that way and I lost some momentum here. I had a little left in the tank as well so not paced right. My PB is 6.17 and I expected to beat that but what harm its going down

Wednesday Lunch:
    I mixed up the intervals with a little longer distances, 6 x 1.5k @ 4.15 pace. All 6 came in around 4.10 pace. This wasnt too bad except for the 4th one which was uphill and against the wind and was a nightmare, the .5k recovery was all around the 3 minutes mark and this was enough recovery to give each one a good shot. 12k @ 4.49 pace

Thursday AM: A turbo session - 6 x 8 minutes (5 steady, 3 big gear), this all of a sudden got easier on the 4th rep till I realized I had another puncture. Got 2 tyres off Alimay for 25 euros yesterday so perfect timing as that tyre must be screwed. Jumped off it and pumped it up for the 5th set which was back to normal and I think it was deflating gradually by the end of the last one as the cadence was too quick for the big gear. 1.20 total

Thursday Lunch: 10k I could have done 13k but I am hoping to get a longish run in tomorrow so I didn't push my luck. 10k @ 4.53 pace

I would recommend getting your nutrition plan on paper first. Once you're happy with that then I would trial it at least twice if not three times. I was a little negligent here last year and I believe it cost me on the bike.

Doing it on empty or after breakfast is up to you but I would have breakfast if you're going to be up for over an hour before starting your spin.

Take note of how you feel on the run after trialing the nutrition for a 5 or 5.5 hour bike.

It's also important to trial for the run too and also to have a plan for it. It's a long day and planning is key. Do it sooner rather than later.

My 2c anyway. Here's the Docs take on it

I have loads of gels if you're looking for some.

Could have been better but could have been worse for a long weekends training.

Friday AM: Back to the start of the swim sessions again, A bit of kick board in this one which I wasn't going to get fully in but not bad. Main section was 6 x 216 off 4:20 pb and 4 x 200 off 4:00 fs. Flew the pb set and was around the 3:45/3:50 mark for the 216s. From memory think it was 2700 in total

Friday lunch I was hoping it would be quiter today in work with Good Friday but was busy enough so couldn't do the 20k I had hoped to slip in. Good hard session though - I was moving well towards the end. 16k @ 4:38 pace

In anticipation of a good weekends training I got the lawn done that evening which I thought had me in great shape

Saturday Afternoon Disaster struck that morning as I had to go up to the house in Castlebar at short notice. I got home at 2pm and had to use one of my passes with my mother so stuck the bike in the boot and dropped the kids over to her. I only had approx 2 hours of a window, so out towards Carraroe and back, was moving well and was happy to see the average going into the 30kphs on the way home. With being a little ahead of schedule I went up the small local hill 5 times overgeared and was back home for 60k.

My first night out with friends in a long time but it didn't suit me to go on the beer with herself out as well as the granny isn't able for the two kids in the morning. I could see all my plans ebb away for training as I soberly watched the wife take full advantage of her drink pass sitting gossiping in Massimos with her friends till 2:30 in Massimos.

Sunday Am: I was supposed to run around Salthill/Barna in the morning but needless to say the decision was made to drive her car home and then run back in and get my car. I then had to wait another few hours as my sick as a pig wife sufficiently recovered her wits to take over. So it ended up as a crap run down the N17 for 16k before I hit some more interesting scenery. With 3 hours sleep I was very sluggish and tired but I took a gel at 22k and suddenly felt great. I was under time pressure so I picked up the pace a little bit to get a few more k in. I got home for 28k @ 5:15 pace which was a little bittersweet as I was hoping for minimum 30k and I was enjoying the last few k

Monday AM The horrors continued for Mrs C as she was late home from an unusually slow run, usually she runs at the same pace all the time - then she has a yearning for peanut butter so off she goes in the car looking for a shop open :rolleyes:

I get out after 9:30ish instead of before 9 so I am unsure of what to do as We had promised to bring the kids to the beach. I ended up doing 105k @ 28.5 kph so once again not as long as I had planned but upside was I spent most of it down on the TT bars and at a better pace than usual, my shoulders just seemed to give up complaining and it got easier as I went along

Being honest though I was struggling to stay down for the last 10k

I got home and changed and ate and didn't realise the young lad was over next door bouncing on the new trampoline and was willing to do that for hours on end so I probably would have got much longer if I had known. Which I probably wouldn't have taken anyways but I might have gone on a small brick run if I had known

Tuesday AM Have to move the swims around a little this week. Will need to do this again on Thursday as no time to finish it but it's a good long endurance set so I enjoy these type of ones. 6 x 396 was all of the main set I could manage with the time and I cheated as well using the pull buoy. All in around the 7:20ish mark. 2700 total

Tuesday Lunch Was running well here - busy week at work this week so 10ks is all I will get in. 4:39 pace in lovely weather

Wednesday AM Same turbo session as last week 6 x 8 minutes with 2 minutes recovery. 1:20 in total

Wednesday Lunch I was running late and grabbed a pair of Brooks Glycerine which I don't like and never use. Some things never change and I didn't enjoy this run, legs were tired anyways from the mornings turbo so I postponed some intervals till tomorrow instead and took it handy 10k @ 5:09 pace

Thursday AM: After a brief moment of indecision after being tempted by using the pull buoy I decided to just get on with them. 6 x 396 off 8:20 and I found the first one the toughest - I was a little happier when I saw 7:15 on the watch when I got in, as I had a nice recovery to look forward to. Things seemed to get easier as I went along and all 6 were finished between 7:10 and 7:20. Then 3 x 216 off 4:00 which were much harder but got them done. There was a 1 x 108 all out at the finish and I came in on 1:48 :o All in all good hard session though, 3600m in total

Thursday Lunch: I got back to the interval runs that I postponed yesterday. Mixing these up I wanted to run the intervals a little longer and use a little less recovery - so the decision was 5 x 2k @ 4:20 pace with 2 minutes recovery. While these weren't easy, they weren't excessive either. Nice run in lovely weather split pace times were 4.18/4.15/4.16/4.18/4.14. The water meter guys were out - poor fellas they all had their back turned to me and turned around like they heard gunshots behind them when they heard someone running towards them - tense job i would say! 13k @ 4.46 pace

Thursday Evening:
    Grass cut - nice one!

Friday AM: Approx 1:45 on the turbo - I pedaled along to Sufferfests Hell Hath No Fury and then a bit of music afterwards but didn't push it too hard as friday training is usually kept easy

Mrs C "suggested" that I do my long bike tomorrow - I might play ball........ looking at the weather for the weekend it might be the better option. The bro in law mentioned to me last week that he might power wash the house saturday (he wont loan me any of his tools, he just comes over and does the work himself, suits me). Hopefully if I get out early enough I will be gone before he calls over and I can pretend I forgot - otherwise I am in trouble as he will have me doing something stupid like holding the ladder for fear I get away with doing nothing

Whatever you're doing its working. Had to look twice to see it was yourself today :)

• Advertisement

How long is the long bike this weekend? Let me know if it's happening Sunday as I'll be heading out Sunday.

Advertisement