Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A higher state of cardiovascularness

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

AKW wrote: »
    Whatever you're doing its working. Had to look twice to see it was yourself today :)

I saw you gaze longingly at my taut pecs and shimmering guns alright - you could have them too if you trained a little ;)
    pgibbo wrote: »
    How long is the long bike this weekend? Let me know if it's happening Sunday as I'll be heading out Sunday.

Almost definitely Saturday for me now - I will look up Strava or mapmyride tonight - have you any spins on Garmin Connect for me approx 120-130k long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

catweazle wrote: »
    I saw you gaze longingly at my taut pecs and shimmering guns alright - you could have them too if you trained a little ;)

Ahhh shtop that was the sunlight glimmering off the windows that dazzled me, you can't be taking credit for that!! :cool::cool:

A game of two halves this weekend!

Saturday AM I decided to do the long bike today rather than tomorrow as the weather looked better. The lap of the lough was the choice, looked it up on map my ride and it was 128k as the crow flies. That will do I said to myself. Not a route I have done before, I had a Bento box filled with Nutrigrain and two Powerbar gels (shop only had 2 left). Weather was very inconsistent between decent bits of sunshine there was some heavy rain and hailstorms. Sunday ended up being the better day. Found this very tough, headwind for the first half and my shoulders were in bits. Mammcross had some wicked crosswinds. Flew in from there. Not sure if Nutrigrain did anything for me, I moved on to a gel after 6 nutrigrains and I felt it have me a much better kick or perhaps the last 15k was the quickest section anyways. 128k @ 27.3kph.

On another note I was surprised at all the village drunks going through the villages, I treated myself to a stop while I was eating the Nurigrains and got talking to drunks in Headford, Cong and Oughterard, one lad was getting irate when I refused to admit I knew Padraig Marrey he widened the net with Stephen Roche and Sean Kelly but I denied all knowledge of them too. That's fine he says to me in the end I really just want to talk boxing with you anyways :D

Sunday AM I was wrecked all Saturday night and was still stiff starting out on this. From crap weather it suddenly turned into a lovely morning and I realised I was moving very well myself. Went from 5:02 pace for the first 10k to just pouring it on for the next 20k, mid 4:40's felt effortless and I came in feeling pretty fresh. If I can keep on trucking after Nice I reckon there is a big marathon pb for the taking 30k @ 4:51 pace

I has forgotten that the young lad is doing a few days of play school this term, Mondays and Tuesdays, so Thursday and Fridays are now granny days instead of Monday and Fridays, not ideal for me as it suited me to do one session on those days built before and after the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

In my best gibbo impression....... Are you going to stop to eat your bars in Nice??

:)

BTH wrote: »
    In my best gibbo impression....... Are you going to stop to eat your bars in Nice??:)

You don't have the menacing tone that Gibbo has - perhaps if you were packing a black belt around that size 24 waist I would pay more heed.

• I have practiced nutrition on the move successfully many times
    • I had the winter gloves on and a rain jacket with no pockets - so I needed to be near a bin when I was opening said nutrigrain!
    I would expect there will be no need for winter gloves or a rain cape in Nice. Bought some Powerbar bars over the weekend - 2.60 a fecking bar - they will need to be rocketfuel to justify that price

• Advertisement

Bought some Powerbar bars over the weekend - 2.60 a fecking bar - they will need to be rocketfuel to justify that price

Must have big windows in that shop!! :eek:

Which ones did you get?

They didn't have any bars except Coconut in Oranmore (I hate coconut) - 2 Strawberry/Banana gel left so I bought them, you were right they were horrible. Ran in while passing Galway Shopping Centre and they didnt have Cookies and Cream either but I said I would try two Vanilla (I love Vanilla) and see how I get on with them anyways.

Presume its the one beside McDonalds that probably has the biggest stock of them from memory - Holland and Barrett isn't it

They didn't have any bars except Coconut in Oranmore (I hate coconut) - 2 Strawberry/Banana gel left so I bought them, you were right they were horrible. Ran in while passing Galway Shopping Centre and they didnt have Cookies and Cream either but I said I would try two Vanilla (I love Vanilla) and see how I get on with them anyways.

Presume its the one beside McDonalds that probably has the biggest stock of them from memory - Holland and Barrett isn't it

Or you can tell me what you need and I'll have them for you.... ;)

Discovered some 2 year old Mango & Passionfruit ones in a box this morning. Made for a lovely fruity snack for me this afternoon :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

AKW wrote: »
    Or you can tell me what you need and I'll have them for you.... ;)

Discovered some 2 year old Mango & Passionfruit ones in a box this morning. Made for a lovely fruity snack for me this afternoon :)

Oh I've tried them. They're yummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I have a box of gels if you want some. They're Powerbar IIRC.

• Advertisement

Monday AM: The usual 1/2 finished session - 8 x 216 was all I got in off 4:20 and I cheated using the pull buoy, all in around the 3:50 mark. 2000m in total.

I had another window at lunch time and I just didn't bother taking it, had a bad sleep sunday night which is rare for me and I just didnt feel the love for it. I need to get used to this new schedule for the week pronto as it will be harder to get windows thursday and friday from now on

Tuesday Lunch: While I was putting on my bibshorts at around 6am the wife very quickly slapped me down by reminding me of her early morning hospital appointment for a check up, I had completely forgotten - compounds further yesterdays laziness. I got out at lunch for an easyish 10k run, garmin went on 3k when I was averaging mid 4.40s, I expect the rest of the run was more of the same

Wednesday AM: Back on the horse this morning and got the full session in. All the 8's 8 x 216 off 4:20, 8 x 108 off 2:00 and 8 x 54 off 1:00. 3400m in total

Wednesday Lunch: I foolishly answered a phone call just before lunch but I couldn't put it off. I was supposed to do a bike but I decided a run would be better bang for buck with the time I had. Just had in mind some repeats but wasn't sure what they would be. Seeing as the last few were 1.5 and 2k repeats I went back to my trusty 800m stretch and was going to try a little faster and a longer recovery.

I didn't look at my Garmin for the first 800 and I finished that in 3.37 pace, not to bad I thought so I tried to continue at that pace with a 2 minute recovery between each one 3:37 / 3:33 / 3:30 / 3:29, I was mad with myself on the 5th as I mentally cracked with about 200m to go, looked at the watch and I saw 3:25 pace - I should have tried to finesse the legs over the last 200m and I might still have scraped under 3:30 but the will to suffer any more had gone at that stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hi cw!! How many weeks left to go?? Will you do a 3 week taper?? How are you feeling??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hi cw!! How many weeks left to go??

10.5!!!!

Ha ha - you should be my PA RQ!

I intend at the moment to only do a 2 week taper, but that could change depending on how I feel coming up to it. I have done three week tapers before for marathons and 1/2 Ironman and I don't think it suits me at all, some of my best races have come off little or no rest

I have no doubt that bollox of a brother in law will have me out stacking turf anyways just before for fear I would get away with it

I an guarantee you now he will want to do it the week i am going to piss me off - I am going to get Gibbo to speak with him if it happens ;)

BTH wrote: »
    In my best gibbo impression....... Are you going to stop to eat your bars in Nice??

:)
    You don't have the menacing tone that Gibbo has

I an guarantee you now he will want to do it the week i am going to piss me off - I am going to get Gibbo to speak with him if it happens ;)

Does this mean we all should fear The Gibbo???

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Does this mean we all should fear The Gibbo???

Sshhhhhh. Don't speak his name. He's omnipresent.

At least that's how it feels these days, he's around every corner I turn.

Thursday Sufferfest The Hunted and then I did another steady 35 minutes to some music about 1:45 in total. Over to the grannies then for the day but scored 50 minutes that evening for 10k @ 4:42 pace

Friday A little alteration of the swim session had me doing 7 x 396 off 8 minutes alternating fs with pullbouy. All in between 7:00 - 7:10 pace. 3000m in total. Got in a short 20k cycle that evening, nice and ways as long bike is tomorrow.

Saturday I knew Mrs C was heading to Limerick for a big weekend this week, however we had words when she told me during the week she would be leaving on the Saturday at 10 with the girls. I would say she knew I was stressed and a few calls to the girls had her not being picked up till 11:15. I was down the stairs for 6 and about to head out the door at 6:15 till the young lad nabbed me, so I lost another 20 minutes here getting him prepped for a cbeebies session on the couch.

Hard to know what to wear at that hour, it was hovering around 4/5 degrees heading off, while I got it right for the early hours I was looking jealously at some lads in just shorts and a top as I was heading for home later.

Found today tough, for once I decided to go with the tailwind at the start so with me taking it easy for the first hour and going through town my average speed suffered. Dids a death into the headwind going across from Spiddal into Moycullen and struggled after that home. Those Powerbars while not bad were a bastard to eat they were rock hard. 108k @ 26.2 kph

Sunday Pulled the mother in for this one with the kids so I had a lovely day and the prom to look forward too - wasn't feeling the love for this and legs were feeling tired. I briefly contemplated binning it at 24k but I took a gel and talked myself into another loop close to home and I felt much better with myself coming in the door after. 32k @ 5:09 pace

Two long days work in Dublin await next week so I will use them as days off and try and at least extend out the bike next weekend. I need to run slower as well - it's all fine and dandy running at those paces if I was doing a stand alone marathon but I won't be anywhere near that pace on the day so I need to run 1 or 2 3 hour + long runs

Sunday Pulled the mother in for this one with the kids so I had a lovely day and the prom to look forward too - wasn't feeling the love for this and legs were feeling tired. I briefly contemplated binning it at 24k but I took a gel and talked myself into another loop close to home and I felt much better with myself coming in the door after. 32k @ 5:09 pace

Your mental stubbornness and mileage here will stand to you on the day. Well done. :)
    so I need to run 1 or 2 3 hour + long runs

Something that has stuck with me since I did that tri-camp last summer - when in training for her IM, our camp coach structures her weekends with her long bike on Saturday, then every Sunday she runs for 3 hours. However, she alternates the 3 hour run by making one Sunday only about time on your feet - so you can run it as slow as you need/want to - you can even make it a trail run for some fun and diversity - it just has to be a 3 hour run. Then the next Sunday's run is 3 hours at IM pace. I'm not sure when exactly in the IM training process she begins this, but I like the simplicity behind it.

I will have to put this down as a recovery week as it hasn't been very good :o

Monday AM: Cant remember what I did now - I hadn't time to do the session so I did a load of 396m sets, 2800 in total

Monday Evening: I usually do nothing but it was such a nice evening i got a pass for a quick bike ride - not often I have been out in such good weather lately. 20k down on the TT bars, I am trying to relax more when I go down on them as I have a tendency to pick up the pace in that position when I shouldn't be

Tuesday AM: 1:45 on the turbo - I know I swore I wouldn't but when the first 4 episodes of Game of Thrones Season 5 rested in an account of mine I couldnt resist. Good quality downloads anyways so I was able to pedal away even in the quieter conversations

Tuesday Lunch: Found I was time crunched on this but risked the extra 3 as I will be down on running overall this week 13k @ 4.42 pace

Wednesday: Nothing, long day in Dublin - first time in a while I haven't done anything at all in a day

Thursday AM: Struggling to finish something for wednesday, I had a late night on tuesday and another one wednesday night in prep for another meeting on friday meant I slept in this morning. Did an hour on the turbo

Hoping I will finagle a run this evening all going well - and its looking like I will get a swim in the morning before heading to Dublin

Weather glorious but of course turning ****e for the weekends long bike :(

Thursday Evening: A quick 10k slotted in before the kids went to bed. 10k @ 4.44

Friday Morning: 800m in the pool and then off to Dublin - swimming really took a hit this week :o

Saturday AM: A poor run, never felt the love. I easily justified to myself at 20k as I stopped in front of the house for a drink that it was enough and I was due an easy weekend after two 30k+ weekends previously. 20k @ 5:15

Sunday AM: Although its been an easy week - i had targeted this as the key session of the week and meeting BTH for this I couldnt cut the distance down en route. I actually felt ok anyways and besides my fingers being completely numb for the first hour we got a nice day for it. Just over 3 degrees starting out and I had my go to Castelli winter gloves and I was still frozen so I was highly amused to met up with BTH with a pair of fingerless gloves on him.

Up and around North Clare, there was a couple of short sharp punchy hills which I didnt enjoy especially trying to hold on to BTHs wheel but when I told him to f-off ahead on the Corkscrew, I was more pleased to find that the longer, less steep gradients were more than manageable at my slow steady pace.

Got to the 125k mark and said my farewells and the last 15k was far tougher, not too bad though the pain usually starts at 100k so its gradually extending upwards at least.

140k @ 26.9kph

No-one at home when I got back so I gradually talked myself into a quick brick run - legs weren't too bad when I got started but my back was killing me. I felt like a slow Brownlee brother with their straight backed style. The pace wasnt too bad I felt like I was crawling but the 3k was at 4.50 / 4.45 / 4.40

15 minutes later I arive home to see the young lad in the wellies and with his toy lawnmower out - bollocks! Another 2 hours mowing the lawn and I was shattered

Down to the nutbag of a farmer to get rid of the grass and have to converse with him as payment for ten minutes on milking, foals, whos in heat this week etc, I just nod blankly as being from the city I hardly know the difference between a horse and a cow

• Advertisement

Monday AM: Just trying to get back into the rhythm in the pool after missing a week with some 396s alternating pull bouy and free style - was surprised after that I struggled on to 2800m. Averaging low 7:20s for them though :(

Monday Lunch: An easy 10k, legs still tired from yesterday 5.02 pace

Tuesday AM: Mad with myself stayed up late watching the two ITU races and promptly slept in. Approx 1.15 on the turbo. Game of Thrones Episode 4 is one to watch :cool:

Tuesday Lunch: Found this run tough, particularly the 5th set as there were a few drags and against the wind 6 x 1.5k @ 4.15 pace and then 500m jog. 12k @ 4.39 pace

Wednesday AM: Unexpectedly told I had to go to Cork so no double session but the morning session went ok. 30 x 108 off 2 minutes - I will have a proper go at this one on friday but for this one I used the pull bouy. Got through it fine shoulders were groaning towards the end 3500m in total.

Thursday AM: 1:30 on the turbo - I did a reasonably honest effort at Fight Club aside from not doing the all out bits and then I threw in another 30 minutes easy/steady after as I had time

Thursday Evening: Usually I only get one or two runs a year like this but I am getting them more and more often which is great. I would expect the run day off yesterday would have helped also - the first couple were my usual easyish pace of mid 4.40s but I was feeling great so I barreled along into the 4.20's for the rest of them. Felt super strong throughout this. 13k @ 4.31

Friday AM: A freestyle follow up on wednesdays session of 30 x 108 off 2.00. As per usual the first 10 were the hardest and then I settled into a rhythm of 1.57/1.58 pace. I began to drift towards the end and I decided the last 6 sets needed to be continuous to peg back the few seconds I had lost.

Towards the last 5/6 lengths, things got a bit strange, the water seemed to be getting foggier and I was beginning to feel very light headed, I only had a few to go so I kept at it but anymore and I would have had to stop. Lack of water and food probably didn't help, while the first few sets I had time to take a sip or two I didn't get any in later for fear of losing time

1st of May - hoping this will be a big training month for me, from next week I am going to start trying to add in an extra bike during the week and an extra open water swim to at the weekends if I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice gains coming on the run. :cool:

For the swim, I would have thought you'd be better to extend the off the time if you can't hit it over the 30 reps rather than doing a continuous swim. If the plan wanted you to do 300s or 400s it would have called it out, no?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Nice gains coming on the run. :cool:

For the swim, I would have thought you'd be better to extend the off the time if you can't hit it over the 30 reps rather than doing a continuous swim. If the plan wanted you to do 300s or 400s it would have called it out, no?

Probably right - from dodgy memory the last time I did this a while back I was coming in at around 1.54/1.55 which allowed a small break between each one for a sip of water. I would expect a small loss of form from hardly any swimming last week pushed the times out a little.

It was more a rare bit of mental stubbornness towards the end - I didn't want to give in on the first training session of an important month (I will leave that to the long bike :D)

HA HA good job I checked, benefits of keeping a log, lets take today as progress :o

Wednesday AM: I was way off on my 2nd attempt at 30 x 108 off 2:00. I was 30 seconds down after 10, held the next 10 but didn't take a few seconds back off what I lost and while I felt I was swimming with a better rhythm for the last 10 I lost more seconds. Need to do more work with the kickboard - with the length of these sessions and the time I have to do them the board always gets dropped. Not overly disappointed though, anytime I do 3900m in a session couldn't be a bad thing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

HA HA good job I checked, benefits of keeping a log, lets take today as progress :o

Wednesday AM: I was way off on my 2nd attempt at 30 x 108 off 2:00. I was 30 seconds down after 10, held the next 10 but didn't take a few seconds back off what I lost and while I felt I was swimming with a better rhythm for the last 10 I lost more seconds. Need to do more work with the kickboard - with the length of these sessions and the time I have to do them the board always gets dropped. Not overly disappointed though, anytime I do 3900m in a session couldn't be a bad thing

nice improvment there alright cw.

Probably right - from dodgy memory the last time I did this a while back I was coming in at around 1.54/1.55 which allowed a small break between each one for a sip of water. I would expect a small loss of form from hardly any swimming last week pushed the times out a little.

It was more a rare bit of mental stubbornness towards the end - I didn't want to give in on the first training session of an important month (I will leave that to the long bike :D)

I chuckled a little when I read this.

And smiled a lot when I read this. ;):)

Saturday AM: Cleverly checking met.ie at 21.20 and then rushing in asking Mrs C to turn over to the weather forecast was a masterstroke as she took pity on me and I got the plan changed to long run saturday, short bike sunday and long bike monday - this looked like i would have the best of the weather for the long bike

The weather ended up being grand for Saturday anyways this side of the country and I was regretting not having gone out as the long bike would be hanging over me all weekend. The run while it was around the usual pace, I didn't enjoy it. I wore a jacket with the poor weather with an old iphone in it for music and it was too big for me and it was flying all over the place annoying me. Was stiffening up towards the end of it

Anyways got it done - took a gel at 22k and 28k.

32k @ 5.09 pace

Sunday Afternoon: This was probably the nicest weather of the weekend, I did the local Craughwell route for 74k, was going to go up the hill at Abbeyknockmoy but I decided against it as mass had just finished and they were piling out. I stayed down on the TT bars for the entire ride but the shoulders weren't happy with me.

I found an old Garmin strap while looking for the altered Polar strap and it actually seemed to work better than the previous ones. Still struggling getting the heart rate up on the bike so nothing has changed there. 74k @ 28.3kph AHR - 110

Monday AM:
    Sitting inside the shelters at Blackrock as its teeming down I was cursing the forecast - however in fairness after that I was only caught in one more downpour 5k from home

This was a tough cycle, the main section where I had a headwind I was going across a crap road from Rossaveal to Oughterard so I couldn't get any speed up. The strectch from Moycullen to Spiddal at 100k was awful with a driving headwind.

I was scared ****less the wind had turned at this stage and I wouldn't have the planned tailwind from Spiddal home but thanks to be christ it was there and it was fast home.

While my shoulders are in bits and my balls feel like they aren't mine I was delighted to get a big ride done, nasty route BTH!

148k @ 26.5kph AHR 109

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

nice weekend there CW.

• Advertisement

Nicely done CW, and on your own as well. Fair play. I'll pull somthing together for closer to 160 next weekend.

Advertisement