Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A higher state of cardiovascularness

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

catweazle wrote: »
    while my balls feel like they aren't mine I was delighted to get a big ride done, nasty BTH!

Sorry, what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

BTH wrote: »
    Nicely done CW, and on your own as well. Fair play. I'll pull somthing together for closer to 160 next weekend.

All he has to do is add on a local loop to that spin and he'll be over the 160 ;)

Nice going CW...we'll say nothing about standing in the shelters :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I don't trust myself to peg on an extra loop locally - I would expect another cross country trip from Barna to Moycullen added on to that route - would comfortably get me the 160k ( I just need to make sure that 2 out of the 3 of them have the tailwind)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I don't trust myself to peg on an extra loop locally - I would expect another cross country trip from Barna to Moycullen added on to that route - would comfortably get me the 160k ( I just need to make sure that 2 out of the 3 of them have the tailwind)

You've just reminded me of a nice short loop out round oughterard. I'll tally it up and see how it adds up. No way I'm leaving you do a short loop on your own on the way home. What's this weekend looking like for getting out??

What's this weekend looking like for getting out??

I could nearly have said this was what it was going to be like before I even checked, crap year for weather so far

This coming weekend looks to be unsettled with showers or longer spells of rain but some dry periods also. It will be blustery at times with temperatures around the low to mid teens.

• Advertisement

I think he meant your availability CW!!!! :pac:

I am likely available for either day - should be fairly flexible from now on - shes now officially out of socializing mode and is in saving mode for shopping in Nice

I am likely available for either day - should be fairly flexible from now on - shes now officially out of socializing mode and is in saving mode for shopping in Nice

Great, I'll see what suits Michelle best, but Sunday is prob favourite right now. No harm, considering you did your long bike Monday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I could nearly have said this was what it was going to be like before I even checked, crap year for weather so far

This coming weekend looks to be unsettled with showers or longer spells of rain but some dry periods also. It will be blustery at times with temperatures around the low to mid teens.

This is how I decide my cycling availability also. ;)

Tuesday AM: I had a bad nights sleep monday night which is unlike me and I didn't feel very fresh the next morning. I decided it would be an easy day there and then. I wanted to go to the pool regardless as I hadn't been in since friday. I did an easy 1500m and then spent 10 minutes in the jacuzzi.

Tuesday Lunch: I went for a run, the plan was a very easy 8k but I decided when I got to the bridge I would do a very easy 5k instead. Found it very uncomfortable to be trotting so slow.

Wednesday AM: A better nights sleep had me back on the wagon this morning, a little bit tight for time so I just did the main section of 50 x 54 off 1.10. I treated myself to the pull buoy so this was very handy in the end, was coming in low 50's for all of them. 2600m

Wednesday Lunch: I have to go to Limerick this evening so I lengthened out my run a little to 17k. I did a longer mid week run for the Dublin marathon a few years back which I think helped so I will see with the nights getting longer can I get one midweek longer run in for the last few weeks. Pace was 4.56 - a little bit of a slog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I treated myself to the pull buoy

Do you ever use a band with the pull buoy? Food for thought....

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2015/01/training/three-levels-band-work-pool_111338

Or this

No doubt I would be proved wrong if someone had a look at me but I think my feet stay fairly still when I have the pull buoy in. Great to see the Doc not give out too much about using the pull buoy :)

pgibbo wrote: »
    Or this

I think you were just called a "challenged" swimmer, cw. ;)

I never liked the band....but I do see it's value (I think?) for the right swimmer. Indeed, always err on the side of caution!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

A group of us were given bands at a training day to show us how poor our balance and how sinky our legs were. We all just about managed 15m before toes were dragging on the floor. Considering that 5m of that 15 came from the push off the wall and a lack of good catch accounted for the rest, it was a fairly damming demonstration.

I'll be sticking to the pull buoy or buoyancy shorts in future.

And what the heck are buoyancy shorts and why do you wear them?

In place of the pull buoy?? I'm guessing that's it. I've just never heard of them until recently on boards.

But obviously you can still kick in those shorts...but the shorts lift your hips....

(good god, I feel like Tunney posting so many little posts.)

They're basically wetsuit shorts. Yes, you can kick in them. There's a big marketing campaign for them on this side of the world.

Thursday AM: Late home the night before and got lazy in the morning only 1:15 on the turbo but a decent session with plenty of big gear work

Thursday Evening: I decided to stretch out the distance for some fast interval running. I only had 50 minutes so I took off at 4:20 pace for the first 4k. Took the next 2k handy and then pushed the last 4k home. Music was good and I was running well, realised if I did the last kilometer just under 4 minute pace I would break 45 minutes for 10k. Coasted in at 3.55 pace - nice run in lovely weather

Friday AM: Mixed up sets of 5 x 108, these are a stable of the shorter distance sets that Interested has but don't appear much at all in the longer one. Enjoyed it but would have liked if I had more time to try 1 more 5 x 108 off 1:50 and see if I could have held it. Perhaps next week. 5 x 108 off 2.10/2.05/2.00/1.55 2600m in total

• Advertisement

Miserable weekend - didn't make any of the targets - first time there was a lack of motivation in a while.

Saturday evening: My right calve was a little bit tight all day which had me worried, mrs C was off looking at kitchens with her mother so i wasn't out till late. Did the lawn which probably didn't help the enthusiasm for the run. Needed to get some gels so I ran around oranmore, the pace was alright at 5:05 pace average but i was tired and bored. Got to 21k and stopped at the car for a drink and a gel, I was struggling to talk myself into going again but I decided it was a bit of a waste of a gel if I don't do something. The next loop finished at 26 and I talked myself into one more short loop to get it to 28k - it had started to rain then and that was all the excuse I needed to pack it in. 28k @ 5:05

Sunday Am: Getting in the car that morning to go over to knocknacarra, the thermometer read 13 degrees, not bad for 7:20am so I was happy with that. What followed was one of the most miserable wet cycles I was ever on, while I didn't have any wet gear at least I wasn't in bib shorts like BTH. He must have been frozen as he had to go at my pace to boot.

Struggling up Seanafesteen he was chatting about going around some add on in Oughterard - as soon as I had my breath back I told him f that i am going home. 88k of mostly misery, drafting and suffering.

Fecking weather forecast had promised it good in the morning - I could have gone either day too for the long run :mad:

I'm never going cycling with you again, I'm always underdressed. I tend to get it right every other day.

Monday AM: I bigged up an existing session slightly as I hadn't slept well again so I was up early and had time. Main set was 10 x 216 off 4:20 with PB and them 5 x 216 off 4:00 FS. I was very happy finishing this, seemed to be a nice blend of speed and endurance. PB sets were finished around the 3.50/3.55 mark and the FS ones were 3:45/3:50. All in 3600m swam

Monday Lunch: I was feeling the effects of this mornings swim more than usual so I resolved to do a nice easy run and give myself a break. Of course I timed it so that it was teeming down with rain and gale force winds. While it was a slow pace of 5:20s it wasn't the easy run I had planned with the elements.

Tuesday AM: I definitely felt off yesterday with a tight feeling across my chest - put the feet up after dinner and went to bed early. A good nights sleep and felt better this morning. But today would be a rest day regardless - I did 1:40 on the turbo this morning but doubt I even went over 100bpm, just turned the pedals lazily

With some nasty showers and high winds again I was more than happy to have a rare lunch hour with the kids.

While i feel better today, another good nights sleep will do me no harm and I will take it easy tomorrow again and see how I feel about training

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Dory Dory wrote: »
    And what the heck are buoyancy shorts and why do you wear them?

Though I was bad for branding!! :rolleyes: Mother of God, gloves, vest and booties in a pool simply to get your name on screen!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

AKW wrote: »

Though I was bad for branding!! :rolleyes: Mother of God, gloves, vest and booties in a pool simply to get your name on screen!!

looking at the vid, and the fact that he didn't ahve the booties on in the later shot, i;d strongly suspect his legs were sinking even with the buoyancy shorts and they needed the booties to keep his legs bouyant

AKW wrote: »

Video wouldn't play for me. :(

Wednesday AM: Another good nights sleep - I went down for a Jacuzzi more than a swim session but managed 800m to keep the eye in a little

Wednesday Lunch: A nice easy 8k in nice weather

Thursday AM: Beginning to get back to business, although I slept in I put in a reason 1.10 effort on the turbo.

Thursday Evening: A little better of a run, 13k @ 4.57 pace

Friday Morning: Back to normal swimming again - a little bit tight for time but will redo the session again on monday. Decent swimming 6 x 396 off 8.20 all coming in around the 7 minute mark. 2800 in total

Was shattered last monday so decided to take a few easy days to try and recover - feel much better for it. Will prioritize the bike this weekend and keep the run a little bit shorter

A few communion parties this weekend so need to look at training windows this evening with herself. Weather looks better tomorrow than sunday and after last weekends nightmare it would be nice to have a few minutes on the bike without driving rain

You'll be happy to know that I was nicely wrapped up for this mornings spin. Probably even too much :)

You'll be happy to know that I was nicely wrapped up for this mornings spin. Probably even too much :)

You would have been colder with me as you would have been slower ;)

This turned out to be a better weekend then expected the way I was feeling during the week. The 2 easy days were a big help.

Saturday AM: The bike suited better today, we had a communion party late afternoon so as Long as I was home and accounted for by then I was fine. Nice headwind on the way out but it was dry at least, I criss crossed over from Moycullen to Barna, Spiddal to Moycullen and then across Seanafesteen to Rosaveal. I had never gone across this way and I never will again as the wind was a killer - 25k of misery and the first 8k took me over 30 minutes.....by the time I got to Rossaveal I was 100k in and I was bolloxed

However bolloxed is all relevant when I have a tailwind for 50k and I was averaging 35kph + for the trip home. It was 153k to the house so I tacked in a local loop to bring it to just over 160k. If I had an Irish flag I would have gone home, grabbed it and waved it going past gibbos house. Even he couldn't be griping at that distance 160k @ 26.1kph AHR 113

Wife brought me back to earth when I proudly said that's as long as I have to do in training for it - ya but surely you will need to do that distance a few more times

Sunday AM: I had said all week I would concentrate on the long bike and I would shorten down the run. While I was as stiff as a board starting out I started to run well after a few k. I got to the house at just over 22k, felt alright so snuck into the shed, took a gel and a few mouthfuls from the outside tap and headed out for the local loop. So 30k in total - running well. 30k @ 4:56 pace AHR 134

• Advertisement

Good god, do we need to get the fire extinguisher out??? ;) Fantastic weekend for you - no stopping you now!!! Well done. :)

Advertisement