Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are we going to do about this Dolphin menace?

Options
  • 02-10-2014 10:02am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It looks like some swimmers were "attacked" in Blackrock yesterday evening by a roving dolphin.

It is being reported in such a way that leads me to believe this dolphin had come in search of a good time. He "nudged", "coralled" and "slapped" the unfortunate swimmers who needed to be rescued from the water. RTE are describing it as "unwanted attention".

Remind me to call the lifeguard next time I'm walking through The Front Door and experience similar unwanted attention. :pac:

http://www.thejournal.ie/dolphin-attack-galway-salthill-1701462-Oct2014/

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Das Kitty wrote: »
    It looks like some swimmers were "attacked" in Blackrock yesterday evening by a roving dolphin.

It is being reported in such a way that leads me to believe this dolphin had come in search of a good time. He "nudged", "coralled" and "slapped" the unfortunate swimmers who needed to be rescued from the water. RTE are describing it as "unwanted attention".

Remind me to call the lifeguard next time I'm walking through The Front Door and experience similar unwanted attention. :pac:

Back in the 1950s there was another dolphin who adopted Salthill/Galway Bay. I believe the response of the authorities was to get someone down from the barracks in Renmore to shoot it.

Not sure if that would be an approved course of action nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

I hope the coast guard won't try and shoot it or something :(

After all, it is its home, not ours.

I know it's a big area for swimmers but a simple net around the area should do (similar to shark nets in Australia).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

I hope the coast guard won't try and shoot it or something :(

After all, it is its home, not ours.

I know it's a big area for swimmers but a simple net around the area should do (similar to shark nets in Australia).

Problem is that the swimmers like to swim out to the buouys and further. Be a big length of net. Also dolphins are very good at jumping out of the water and over things. I suspect a typical shark net would be no obstacle.

Might be that you could do something with ultrasound like those anti-teenager devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

My 'inner dolphin loving child' wants to say that it was protecting the swimmers from a giant school of sharks or a rabid octopus and was warning them...
    Alas I have no pics :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Das Kitty wrote: »

He just wanted to play!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The judge would never accept that excuse..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Oh, he wanted to play, all right. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Heard that a boat threw a net over the swimmers hoping it would stop this scumbag dolphin and hundreds of people walking the prom pished themselves silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Heard that a boat threw a net over the swimmers hoping it would stop this scumbag dolphin and hundreds of people walking the prom pished themselves silly.

Scumbag dolphin? What is wrong with you people!?

Isn't a nudge and slap from a dolphin your childhood dream? Why didn't they grab his fin and spin down the prom or head out to sea chasing mackerel/tuna?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

They called him Clipper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Are there any videos or pics of this massacre floating about? The Journal only has a stock photo of a dolphin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The sea is his domain. F*ck the swimmers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Scumbag dolphin? What is wrong with you people!?
    Don't pretend that you didn't see what they did in the Simpsons. Next they'll be throwing slaps in Eyre Square or having their own day for Rag Week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

These dolphins have been having it their way long enough. It's about time we stood up to their wilful aggression.

Or will we have to wait until they hurt a baby?!?!

Nuke the whales!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Bit of a rascal it seems, just wanted to have some fun.

FUN??? This fish nearly killed three people.

You're obviously a subscriber to the twisted propaganda of those limp-wristed apologists, like David Attenborough and his despicable ilk.

We have to wage war on these ocean dwelling terrorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

catallus wrote: »
    FUN??? This fish nearly killed three people.

You're obviously a subscriber to the twisted propaganda of those limp-wristed apologists, like David Attenborough and his despicable ilk.

Dolphins are mammals, so just like us.

People, really, when it comes down to it.

We're under attack by our own.

Clearly the death penalty is called for here.

At a minimum.

(Or we could just get/stay the feck out of their environment and stop annoying them)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Send them from Galway Bay to Guantanamo Bay? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

The only sensible option is to introduce one or more killer whales to deal with the dolphin menace.

With laser beams on their heads obviously.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Dolphins are mammals, so just like us.

People, really, when it comes down to it.

They're clearly fish. We have to protect ourselves from the self-destructive relativistic moralism which the elites are propagating! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

We have to act fast. The Dolphin Menace is only getting started as the linked piece in America's Finest News source illustrates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Sounds like Dusty the Doolin Dolphin has moved to Salthill.

Promoting the real Wild Atlantic Way. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

the sight of five culchies in speedos would give any dolphin nightmares .....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Send him a water rates bill, he'll be on his way soon enough after that.

They're clearly fish. We have to protect ourselves from the self-destructive relativistic moralism which the elites are propagating! :mad:

They're definitely mammals, Google told me so it must be true.

However I might even agree with this if I only knew what it meant..... :o

They've got fins, yeah? They swim, right? They look and act fishy, don't they?

So, science. Definitely fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

dilallio wrote: »
    They called him Clipper.

its a crime you didn't get more thanks for that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭josip

Call the Japanese, I'm sure they have a solution.

They've got fins, yeah? They swim, right? They look and act fishy, don't they?

So, science. Definitely fish.

But... but... but.... Google!

How am I meant to "know" anything if I can't believe and trust in Google?

Say it ain't so :mad:

And anyway they smile, so that makes them human. Fish have big roundy ugly mouths that gape, they couldn't possibly be a fish. I'm tellin' ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

They are a wild animal! You gotta be careful around them, I got a gentle nudge in the ribs and it felt like a sledge hammer. Word in Clare is that some local boyos poured cider down dusty's blowhole in Doolin and she turned aggressive. Maybe someone pissed off the Salthill dolphin. Also, it could have been getting amorous, the can get like that with ladies at certain times I'm told.

Advertisement