Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are we going to do about this Dolphin menace?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Some dolphins are a bit rapey, apparently. It's why they had to quietly end some of those "disadvantaged kiddies swim with the dolphins" programs in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

John_Rambo wrote: »
    They are a wild animal! You gotta be careful around them, I got a gentle nudge in the ribs and it felt like a sledge hammer. Word in Clare is that some local boyos poured cider down dusty's blowhole in Doolin and she turned aggressive. Maybe someone pissed off the Salthill dolphin. Also, it could have been getting amorous, the can get like that with ladies at certain times I'm told.

I've heard that before, and if it's true I'd pour some sort of acid where the sun don't shine on those boyos and see how they like it :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Dolphins have been known to circle pregnant women. Basically protecting her (they can detect the baby through sonar). They can detect the baby before she's showing.

Maybe that's all that happened here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

How do you know they don't want to eat the baby?

Are you willing to take that risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭martin6651

Swam there today and no sign of any dolphin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭PrairieDawn

Wonder when it will be considered 'safe' to go swimming again? I find it hard to believe photos of this rescue aren't circling the Internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Wonder when it will be considered 'safe' to go swimming again? I find it hard to believe photos of this rescue aren't circling the Internet!

Rule 34?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

They're an absolutely protected species and Ireland's officially classified all its territorial waters as a dolphin and whale sanctuary.

The dolphin might move on or cop on a bit after a while.

There's a possibility it could be a pregnant female which might explain why it's selected a safe harbour and is being so protective.

I'd stay well clear through as an angry dolphin could really injure you in the water. They are extremely agile and powerful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

We've become a nation of softies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

I dont see what all the fuss is about, more people probably get smacked about in supermac eyre square every single night of the week,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

But there's no pond in eyre square?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Plenty people floundering around like beached whales tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Tilikum wrote: »
    Dolphins have been known to circle pregnant women. Basically protecting her (they can detect the baby through sonar). They can detect the baby before she's showing.

Jesus what kinda swimming were they doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Tilikum wrote: »

How do they know this?
    Do they turn blue or something when they touch a pregnant woman???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Dolphins communicate through sonar as was explained.
    We have to go a medical facility to use a sonar machine which picks up the unborn's heartbeat.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I blame videogames for this, in particular the thoroughly awful Ecco the Dolphin.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Robbo wrote: »
    I blame videogames for this, in particular the thoroughly awful Ecco the Dolphin.

Suddenly great winds of water.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

In the paper today is says his name is glet, he is full of scars from fighting and he is described as edgy and unpredictable.
    Perhaps he got his fins on a bail of coke that might of fallen off a boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

Anyone watching jaws on rte 2?

• Advertisement

Galway Dolphins Take To Land Killing 24 People

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2014/10/02/galway-dolphins-take-to-land-killing-24-people-2/

FOLLOWING on from swimmers being assaulted by dolphins in the Salthill area of Galway yesterday comes the devastating news that angry and aggressive dolphins have taken to Galway mainland killing as many as 24 people.

“I wish I could say that after killing these pensioners the dolphins didn’t have the presence of mind to rifle through their wallets taking their money, but they did. Those evil bastards did!” Frank Gillen, local councillor told WWN exclusively.

Yesterday’s assault is said to have involved dolphins innocently ‘slapping’ swimmers, but today’s incident is said to be far more serious.

“From a distance it looked like they were dancing with members of the over-65s Dolphin Appreciation Society of Salthill but on closer inspection they were dancing on them. It’s a tragedy,” added Gillen.

While many locals were taken by surprise at the sight of a dozen dolphins exiting the sea to brutally beat and assault members of the public, Gardaí confirmed that it appeared the dolphins had been planning this for some time.

“They are a well drilled unit, possibly with some Navy Seals training,” explained Garda Vincent Cusack, “we urge the public to scream loudly and immediately panic if they see any dolphins in the general area. They were last seen exiting Leisureland following a game of mini-golf. We believe they took the golf clubs with them”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Galway Dolphins Take To Land Killing 24 People

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2014/10/02/galway-dolphins-take-to-land-killing-24-people-2/

FOLLOWING on from swimmers being assaulted by dolphins in the Salthill area of Galway yesterday comes the devastating news that angry and aggressive dolphins have taken to Galway mainland killing as many as 24 people.

“I wish I could say that after killing these pensioners the dolphins didn’t have the presence of mind to rifle through their wallets taking their money, but they did. Those evil bastards did!” Frank Gillen, local councillor told WWN exclusively.

Yesterday’s assault is said to have involved dolphins innocently ‘slapping’ swimmers, but today’s incident is said to be far more serious.

“From a distance it looked like they were dancing with members of the over-65s Dolphin Appreciation Society of Salthill but on closer inspection they were dancing on them. It’s a tragedy,” added Gillen.

While many locals were taken by surprise at the sight of a dozen dolphins exiting the sea to brutally beat and assault members of the public, Gardaí confirmed that it appeared the dolphins had been planning this for some time.

“They are a well drilled unit, possibly with some Navy Seals training,” explained Garda Vincent Cusack, “we urge the public to scream loudly and immediately panic if they see any dolphins in the general area. They were last seen exiting Leisureland following a game of mini-golf. We believe they took the golf clubs with them”.

Was that not a protest about the delay in opening the swimming pool at Leisureland.?

nuac wrote: »
    Was that not a protest about the delay in opening the swimming pool at Leisureland.?

Mark my words, those fiends will hog every lane in the new Leisureland pool. It's a shocking development really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

nuac wrote: »
    after last nights pissy little storm,it wont be open until summer 2015 :pac:.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

martin6651 wrote: »
    Swam there today and no sign of any dolphin.

They probably saw you coming and legged finned it.

Anyway, fair play to you for reclaiming the beach for the people!

Those nasty aggressive dolphins have no business in our waters.

Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down the pond chasin' bluegills and tommycods. This dolphin, swallow you whole. Little shakin', little tenderizin', an' down you go. And we gotta do it quick, that'll bring back your tourists, put all your businesses on a payin' basis. But it's not gonna be pleasant. I value my neck a lot more than three thousand bucks, chief. I'll find him for three, but I'll catch him, and kill him, for ten. But you've gotta make up your minds. If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. I don't want no volunteers, I don't want no mates, there's just too many captains on this island. $10,000 for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing.

Advertisement