Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5D - using canon 430ex as a remote flash?

• 02-10-2014 10:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A question for you that came up last night at a camera club workshop and I'm now on the lookout for the missing piece of equipment that would allow me to use my 430ex flash with my 5D remotely.

The 5D doesn't have it's own pop-up flash, just to keep that in mind.

I found this article and this one - which seems really helpful but I'm still confused about what it is I need to get.

An optical slave trigger and a PC sync cord - is that what I should be looking at?

My understanding is that the 430EX can't work as a master either.. so will the option above be suitable?

Any advice appreciated!

Oh - and options on where to purchase also - I'd love to get it asap, so bricks and mortar ideally so I'd have it at the weekend. If not possible, then web will do!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

If you want truly remote flashes then something like Pocketwizard radio transceivers are the way to go. They aren't cheap though (I think I paid approx US$150-$185 when I bought mine in the states - US versions aren't legal in Ireland...something to do with interfering with emergency service frequencies I think but UK/Irish versions are fine to use). I've had them for years now. Very reliable.

I remember from a friend a few years back he had issues with his 430's on a 5D with pocket wizards working properly. It was an issue with the 430's AFAIR. I think he had to get longer sync cables to stop the interference between flashes and radio slaves to get them working. The canon 530 (580?) flashes worked fine though.

There are cheaper versions available for maybe $30-$40 a set. They won't have the range or consistent firing of the Pocketwizards and I think they might get interference from wifi signals or so I've heard. For the money they are pretty good.

Optical slaves aren't great. You need a flash that has a strong enough output to fire the optical trigger and they are as good as useless when using them outdoors in daylight.

That 3.6m cable will be 3.6m when fully stretched out. Dealing with cables is a hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mikka631

Hi Tracey,

I have been using Yongnuo flash triggers on my 7D with 580EX and also 430EX, cheap as chips and no problems so far.
    I am in Dublin this week so I can bring them up if you want to try them out for a few days.

Pete is right about Pocketwizards, they are probably the best but expensive when you want multiple flash setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Pretty much this if you're looking to do it cheapily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

mikka631 wrote: »
    Hi Tracey,

I have been using Yongnuo flash triggers on my 7D with 580EX and also 430EX, cheap as chips and no problems so far.
    I am in Dublin this week so I can bring them up if you want to try them out for a few days.

Pete is right about Pocketwizards, they are probably the best but expensive when you want multiple flash setup.
    mikka631 wrote: »
    Hi Tracey,

That sounds like what I'm looking for alright. I don't think I'd get the use out of them to invest in the Pocketwizard though - I'm really only looking to do some portrait work or some smoke shots etc. I'm a total beginner when it comes to flash work of any kind really.

Thank you so much for the offer of a trial - I'll send you a PM and see if we can work something out!
    M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Pretty much this if you're looking to do it cheapily

Do you know if they are only available online?! Any chance of a shop in Dublin having them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Theres yanogo pocket wizzard varrent that have good reviews and with out pocket wizard prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 chrispin

Hi Cork GIRL,There is a guy in Ballincollig near hand to you who stocks a lot of photography equipment .He goes by Alex78 on adverts.ie. He stocks various yongnuo flash triggers and receivers.Boards will not let me post the URL`S of the products but if you go on Adverts go into
    shops and type Alex78 you will find him.Look at the first add on page 7 ,I think this might suit
    your needs.

I have bought off him in the past and found him excellent to deal with.I hope this is
    of some use to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Cork_girl wrote: »

Do you know if they are only available online?! Any chance of a shop in Dublin having them?

There's a set for sale on Adverts atm from a shop, but they're half the price on amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭jbv

Got mine from Ebay.
    Shops don't sell them.
    They worked with my old Canon 500d and Canon 6D.
    Really good value.
    If you want to try them can pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

So if I may add to this thread. I have a Eos 7d and 430ex. Would the YongNuo YN-568EX II Flashgun work as a master or would I need the remotes also to fire them? I can fire the 430 along with the pop-up flash but would like to try some smoke shots and portraits with 2 flash guns

• Advertisement
Advertisement