Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buskers

Options
  • 02-10-2014 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

does anyone know if there are any bye-laws about busking in Dublin? Are buskers licenced? Are there any restrictions on them using amplification?

I was half deafened the other day between the shops and various buskers blaring out music. I like buskers, I used to busk - but stick to the acoustic version, please. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

As far as I know the Control of Street Performers Bye-Laws 2013 (Busking) stalled and they were due to publish the new draft last month (never happened).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

All of the below is what I have heard, don't treat any of it as fact.

I think the current plan is that un-powered equipment is OK to use but powered equipment (amps/speakers) require a license.

Although I did hear rumours that the Central Dublin Businesses wanted so that all buskers would require some type of license.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

D wrote: »
    All of the below is what I have heard, don't treat any of it as fact.

I think the current plan is that un-powered equipment is OK to use but powered equipment (amps/speakers) require a license.

Although I did hear rumours that the Central Dublin Businesses wanted so that all buskers would require some type of license.
    There was a voluntary code trialled for 6 months in 2012. AFAIK there is no bye-law currently in place or system to grant licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

As far as I know the Control of Street Performers Bye-Laws 2013 (Busking) stalled and they were due to publish the new draft last month (never happened).

New draft going to the City Council November meeting next Monday. Will be followed by a period of public consultation for a month or so.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/barred-temple-bar-buskers-to-get-grafton-street-reprieve-1.1978834

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

What do you all think of buskers with amplification?

And shops playing their music out to the street?

Am I the only one against them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

I'm a musician myself and always try to support buskers but entire bands setting up in the middle of Grafton St amps,drums the whole lot.
    Blocking people from getting up and down the street and blaring their stuff is way over the top.
    There's no need for amplification and most buskers only use it because the guy further down the street is using it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

No, you certainly are not. I think most people have no issue with buskers per se but it's an entirely different ball game when so many now feel they have to out do each other creating endless noisy rackets. This is not what busking should be and bye-laws are badly needed to control it.

Similarly, shops and pubs should not be blaring music out onto the street but it's becoming a real nuisance. The trouble is that the more commonplace it becomes the more difficult it will be to rein in.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dquinnan

Don't mind solo buskers, even with a small amp. Lad with the slide guitar and cowboy hat who does occasionally be on Grafton Street being a good example.

The full bands, who tend to be out at the weekends with loud amps and who draw huge crowds that make it annoying to walk up the street are taking the proverbial though.

Advertisement