Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer for school students with physical disabilities?

Options
  • 02-10-2014 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

I am researching for the best computer for two child with a physical disability to used in school. The requirements are:
    - must be light
    - must have proper keyboard
    - must be either Windows, Android or iPad operating system for ebooks
    - must have a "pen" to allow writing on the screen
    - must have some kind of file storage system that is accessible without internet access
    - must start up almost instantly at the start of class
    - For both screen shouldn't be too small.... I think iPad / 10.1 inch tablets would be too small. In particular one of the children has eyesight problems so the bigger the screen the better.

For the child without the eyesight problems I'm considering the Samsung Galaxy Note (12.2 inch) which meets all those requirements. Anyone any experience of it? Would you recommend keyboard docking station or separate bluetooth keyboard? Or any other ideas? And any ideas for something with a bigger screen, as 12.2 is the biggest that the Galaxy Note comes in. Many thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

The Microsoft Surface range is just what you need. They even had a big advertising campaign in the US about it being used by people with disabilities.

The only possible problem could be the keyboard. There is one that attaches onto the tablet but maybe it won't work for the kids. It would probably be worth popping into a computer shop with them and try it out. 3rd party Bluetooth and USB keyboard will obviously work with it.

There are different variants of the tablet for different price ranges but from what you described a lower end model would work fine.

I can't be sure on this but I vaguely remember reading somewhere that Microsoft have specific programmes where they offer discounts for disabled people. At very least they do offer discounts for school kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

+1 for the Surface. Make sure it's not a surface RT as it's a slimmed down version of Windows that will only let you install apps and not programs. The pen comes with the Pro 2 and Pro 3 and works with evernote / MS OneNote.

The only downside is that tablet devices don't have much in the way of internal storage, but they hardly fill up if you're only working with office / pdf's and the likes (IE not putting a lot of films / music on it).

You could also look in to getting Dragon Dictate. It's a voice to text program that does take a bit of getting used to / setting up. But it's worth it as you can use voice commands for the likes of "open firefox", "open word" and start dictated and switching between windows. (This should be used by the student in a quiet environment as it works off speech recognition.)

Advertisement