Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Central hotel- some opinions please

Options
  • 02-10-2014 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for an inexpensive (sub €100) central hotel for a Sunday in Nov.

Jurys Inn Parnell, Mont Clare, Greshim, Best Western Plus Plaza, Maldron Hotel all are central and good prices.
    Bext Western Plus Plaza and Mont Clare seem very cheap- are they fine, clean hotels?
    Out of the lot which would you recommend? The Greshim is a bit more expensive than the others but probably a bit plusher.

Thanks,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

The Gresham is in need of a serious update - not good value for money IMHO.
    I've heard good things about Jurys Christchurch, but not sure if Parnell lives up to it.
    Maldron seems to be cheap and modern, but as with the others, I have no first-hand experience.

The gresham is actually pretty run down, relatively speaking, and in serious need of an overhaul. The academy hotel (another best western) is around the corner and in better nick than the gresham. I think it's 80 quid a night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Would location be important for you?
    Going to a gig / need to travel next morning?

Parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭GinnyR

The Gresham isn't as nice as it used to be. It needs an update.

Jury's hotels are grand, but the food leaves a lot to be desired especially the breakfast.

I tend to stay most often at The Clarence - decent prices to be had, Central location & good facilities.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I've stayed in the Best Western Academy - very clean. Nice hotel location-wise too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Would location be important for you?
    Going to a gig / need to travel next morning?

Parking?

We're staying in The Marker on Sat (have a voucher) but want to be very central for Sunday; shopping, cafe, stroll around etc. Sunday night will probably just have a few pints in town.

We have a car, will probably have to use a car park affiliated with the hotel or else get free parking on Sunday (if possible naerby).
    We'll be gone early (10am or so) the next monring.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Jury's Christchurch is practically at the top of Dame Street. Burdock's is almost next door. There are a couple of top notch pubs right beside it, and you'll get to hear the bells of Christchurch and St. Patrick's on Sunday (dunno if you consider that a good or a bad thing!). You'll probably get the waft of Guinness brewing aswell (see previous statement!).

It's only a few minutes walk to Grafton Street, or down to the river and over to the Italian quarter/Henry street.

I'd stay there, with my second choice, probably The Academy, off O'Connell Street (I used to drink in the bar there a lot!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Jurys on Parnell St is nice.

Eat breakfast in the Kingfisher across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Have you considered using AIRBNB? Lots of city centre places under €100.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Thanks for all the replies.
    I presume for parking most hotels have a deal with a nearby carpark. Would you be talking about €20 a day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

dinneenp wrote: »
    We're staying in The Marker on Sat (have a voucher) but want to be very central for Sunday; shopping, cafe, stroll around etc. Sunday night will probably just have a few pints in town.

We have a car, will probably have to use a car park affiliated with the hotel or else get free parking on Sunday (if possible naerby).
    We'll be gone early (10am or so) the next monring.
    Cheers.

Personally, I'd prefer the Mont Clare, for location as its right on Merrion Sq and just a short walk from Grafton St. You can get the luas to Dundrum if you wish for more shopping.
    It's a lovely area to stroll around / museums / restaurants and nice cafes.
    There's free parking on Merrion Sq on Sundays too - I'm not sure if Mont Clare have their own parking.
    Enjoy your stay!

Cheers for the feedback.
    Best Western Academy was €126 with breakfast, Jurys Parnell €97 without breakfast

I like the area near Jurys Christchurch that has cafes, book stores but I decided to go with Jurys (Sat, not Sun) as it's in the heart of shops (think UK clothing stores for my wife). I can always cancel free of charge if I change my mind.
    We'll be out most of the time so just a fine, clean hotel will do. If we were going to be lounging around more I'd probably have gone with Best Academy.
    I think we'd get a nicer breakfast/brunch in a cafe somewhere than we'd get in Best Western Academy.
    Brunch ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

dinneenp wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies. I presume for parking most hotels have a deal with a nearby carpark. Would you be talking about €20 a day?

Most would have local car parking deals. I know Jurys Christchurch you park around the corner in a multi storey. Less than 20 per day to my knowledge.

Advertisement