Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasp nest - Bugger!!!!!

Options
  • 02-10-2014 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭

The little sh1ts took up residence in the roof space of an extended room to the rear of the house. Have threatened to have a bash with sprays and other concoctions but never really got around to it. Anyway, the family size has increased. Any suggestions or recommendations on exterminators within the D15 area? As murphys Law would normally dictate, when you want a cold spell to kill 'em, you get an Indian Summer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

My parents had a similar problem a year ago, I bunged up the hole they were getting in and out of with silicone then sprayed a full bottle of fly/wasp killer into the attic space and it worked perfect. (My Da was watching my back checking for angry wasp's during this so I could concentrate on the job)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

dickwod1 wrote: »
    My parents had a similar problem a year ago, I bunged up the hole they were getting in and out of with silicone then sprayed a full bottle of fly/wasp killer into the attic space and it worked perfect. (My Da was watching my back checking for angry wasp's during this so I could concentrate on the job)

A bit tricky here as there are multiple points of access with no easy access to the roof space without removing the tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭robbie000

Are you able to access the roof space via the attic to see the area were they seem to be going to?

dodzy wrote: »
    A bit tricky here as there are multiple points of access with no easy access to the roof space without removing the tiles.

Regarding the access, Once wasps get in they seem to come back time and time again even if you get an exterminator to do the job now you could have the same problem this time next year if you don't address the access points, Best of luck with this it's very annoying having them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

A cold spell is unlikely to kill them. Most yes but there'll likely be enough left to restart the same nest as soon as the weather improves. You need to kill them, remove all traces of the nest and close the means of entry to the roof space or they'll likely return.

I can't recommend any exterminators but if you think you can safely get close enough yourself a "wasp nest destroyer" spray is what you need. They've got quite a long range so you can spray the nest from range then get out of there if you have a safe way to get close enough.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think that i'll have to don a white tyvek suit, mask and gloves. Tiles will have to come off the extension ( handy enough to do this ) and then work from within. Not looking forward to it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Pick a cold evening to do it. Wasps get quite docile was you get down to cooler temperatures and tend not to fly at all once it gets below 10 degrees Celsius. That will give you more protection that any suit on a hot day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

spray them with liquid nitrogen and then smash the nest with a hammer so it shatters, it works a treat, i saw it on TV.

actually, that might have been the terminator movie, but it might still work! :D

vibe666 wrote: »
    spray them with liquid nitrogen and then smash the nest with a hammer so it shatters, it works a treat, i saw it on TV.

actually, that might have been the terminator movie, but it might still work! :D

Ha! that brought a smile to my face :)

vibe666 wrote: »

Done that. Funny now really as I've developed polished chrome arms😉

Wasp guy coming tomorrow. €85. Witha guarantee. We'll see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭murphf

Done that. Funny now really as I've developed polished chrome arms😉

Wasp guy coming tomorrow. €85. Witha guarantee. We'll see!

Guy on the roselawn road been out to us a couple of times and was very good .. Hope you get sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

murphf wrote: »
    Guy on the roselawn road been out to us a couple of times and was very good .. Hope you get sorted
    That might have been Keith Pierce, a bee keeper. You can buy his local honey in Justin's on Main Street, Blanchardstown.
    http://www.irishdarknativehoneybees.com/contact-us.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

Wasps build a new nest every year and will not return to an old nest. You could have waited a week or so and they would be gone. You need to think about how you will stop them building in the attic space again next year.

http://www.wasp-removal.com/wasp-answers5.php
    What should I do with the nest after treatment?

After a nest has been treated we advise that it be left in its original location if possible. The reasons for this are simple: the nest was obviously built in that location because it was a good place. Wasps do not re-use old nests. If a treated nest is removed the location is then free for another queen to build a nest another year.
    The treatment which is normally used to kill a nest has a long shelf life and if left in place will kill any other foraging wasps that may try to raid the now undefended nest.
    We believe that in some cases a treated nest has killed secondary nests close by due to wasps raiding treated nests then managing to return to theirs with the treatment still on them thus contaminating their own nest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

OP, I've had 2 wasp nests in the past number of years. I use a guy that used to work for rentakill in the UK and now has his own business here. He's half the price of what I was being quoted by the likes of rentakill here. If you want his number PM as I dont want to advertise it here, I assume youre not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

A bee keeper told me wasps are very clean and try to contaminate the nest, the nest was under the tiles, so regularly i would spray the entrance whee the wasps would land, 24 hours later, no activity, i waited a further 24 hrs, got into attic..all dead..quite a sizeable nest, worked for me

Cheers for all the replies folks. Guy was out this morning and used a white powder spray from a presurized cylinder with a lance. Apparently, its a poison that they inadvertently bring into the next and it kills after contact. Almost felt sorry for the poor buggers that were at ground zero. Almost. He said that there should be literally no activity after several hours. No charge policy for further call-outs. €85. Watch this space........

daymobrew wrote: »
    That might have been Keith Pierce, a bee keeper. You can buy his local honey in Justin's on Main Street, Blanchardstown.
    http://www.irishdarknativehoneybees.com/contact-us.html

How much? :eek:
    Supposed to be fantastic for hayfever.

Cheers for all the replies folks. Guy was out this morning and used a white powder spray from a presurized cylinder with a lance. Apparently, its a poison that they inadvertently bring into the next and it kills after contact. Almost felt sorry for the poor buggers that were at ground zero. Almost. He said that there should be literally no activity after several hours. No charge policy for further call-outs. €85. Watch this space........

2 days later. Not a sign, bar the high corpse count on the decking and one die-hard that I seen on its last legs. Seems to have been sorted thankfully.

Advertisement