Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2014: Round 15 - Japanese Grand Prix (NO FOOTAGE OF THE CRASH ALLOWED)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Ted looks quite shaken on sky, i wonder does he know something and not saying just yet?

I doubt it. I'll walk you all through the process of finding out news for an injured driver/rider at a race.
    Inside the press box there is almost as much speculation as we have on forums, probably more. When a rider/driver gets taken to the medical centre there is always speculation as we all wait for news. In most instances there will be journalists standing at the centre waiting for offical news and we do not go into the medical centre (journalists are allowed into the centre for medical attention but are not welcome in other circumstances). We stand at the front and wait for news, if a driver/rider is taken to hospital that is all that the journalist knows.
    The impact of seeing family and team members struggle to deal with the situation can be hugely upsetting and can lead to your imagination running wild. At the moment all we know is that Jules is going to hospital at the moment and the reaction of the drivers is the same as journalists. They also don't know what state Jules is in and are reacting to the news as they've received it from their teams.
    We can all speculate about what happened and the condition of Jules but honestly at this time no-one knows anything other than he is on his way to hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

did the conditions get worse after the red flag? Surely if the helicopter couldn't fly the cars shouldn't have been running.

Not sure if was said on BBC but on sky they said that the helicopter could fly so it might have been medical reason they went by road.

I knew it wasnt Sutil from the start as there seemed to be a shot of him sitting by the side of the road with his head in his hands looking disconsolate.

Very soon after a caption with Bianchi came up and they switched to the Marussia garage. Surprised the BBC never copped on to this.
    I was confused when that caption came up and I noticed Sutil running from the safety car which was more confusing.
    Since Sennas death there have been no deaths or major injuries in actual racing but there has been in recovery situations in testing and races and among marshals and its perfectly clear this is a situation that the FIA has to look at.

While the actual racing itself is as safe (f thats the correct term) as it will ever be recovery situations are not. Indeed we had a marshal killed at the Canadian GP two years ago.

I really hope Jules is OK.
    For all the talk of standardisation and improvement of safety and procedures over the years there's still a lot left in the hands of the tracks. Remember the lorry on-track in Korea? The standard and speed of recovery of vehicles also varies a lot and that's where the major safety issues have been recently. All the track "improvements" they want to push through won't stop poor procedures or the use of inappropriate equipment causing hazards.

frostie500 wrote: »
    I doubt it. I'll walk you all through the process of finding out news for an injured driver/rider at a race.
    Inside the press box there is almost as much speculation as we have on forums, probably more. When a rider/driver gets taken to the medical centre there is always speculation as we all wait for news. In most instances there will be journalists standing at the centre waiting for offical news and we do not go into the medical centre (journalists are allowed into the centre for medical attention but are not welcome in other circumstances). We stand at the front and wait for news, if a driver/rider is taken to hospital that is all that the journalist knows.
    The impact of seeing family and team members struggle to deal with the situation can be hugely upsetting and can lead to your imagination running wild. At the moment all we know is that Jules is going to hospital at the moment and the reaction of the drivers is the same as journalists. They also don't know what state Jules is in and are reacting to the news as they've received it from their teams.
    We can all speculate about what happened and the condition of Jules but honestly at this time no-one knows anything other than he is on his way to hospital
    Would there be access to the radios used by the medical teams and the like?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Race control radios are on a closed network and are not broadcast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Just saw another pic where the left sidepod and mirror are missing. The area above the steering wheel is marked with yellow paint.

I doubt it. If the radio is on an encrypted channel they'd have access otherwise you'd need to be given the access code

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

Just saw another pic where the left sidepod and mirror are missing. The area above the steering wheel is marked with yellow paint.

Have they release footage of the accident?

Shane732 wrote: »
    Have they release footage of the accident?

I haven't seen any, just some pictures on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

I haven't seen any, just some pictures on twitter.

Just seen some pictures with the wheels of the car caught under the JCB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

No photos or videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Images show that the right rear of the car impacted the JCB first, with more damage sustained by both the roll hoop and the front bulkhead, all from the left hand side. Jules was taken to Mie University hospital, which is less than 10 miles from the circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Just saw an image there from the daily mail with pretty much the entire engine cover and air box ripped off. :(

No photos or videos please.

Mika Salo, the race steward, has reportedly told Finnish media that Jules suffered a head injury on collision with the recovery vehicle. The FIA have reviewed the footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Seeing suggestions that they didn't take the helicopter because of pressure and altitude issues with head injuries.

Zcott wrote: »
    Seeing suggestions that they didn't take the helicopter because of pressure and altitude issues with head injuries.

I asked Gary Hartstein (former F1 doctor) that, he says effect would be negligible at best.

_rebelkid wrote: »
    I asked Gary Hartstein (former F1 doctor) that, he says effect would be negligible at best.

I have to say I have very little time for Gary on twitter. He did a very important job in F1, no doubt, but throughout Schumacher's injury and recovery Hartstein was consistently peddling out tweets that had no substance other than to make fans worry about the condition of Schumacher. He can say that he is lookng at things from a medical perspective but he has no information on what the condition of the patient is. Today with Bianchi he has started to do the same thing again and it sets fans into a panic.

Maldonado has been given a 20 second penalty for speeding in the pit lane.

I have to say I have very little time for Gary on twitter. He did a very important job in F1, no doubt, but throughout Schumacher's injury and recovery Hartstein was consistently peddling out tweets that had no substance other than to make fans worry about the condition of Schumacher. He can say that he is lookng at things from a medical perspective but he has no information on what the condition of the patient is. Today with Bianchi he has started to do the same thing again and it sets fans into a panic.

He does sometimes blur the line between what is procedural and what is speculative. But his knowledge on procedures is quite useful.

• Advertisement

_rebelkid wrote: »
    He does sometimes blur the line between what is procedural and what is speculative. But his knowledge on procedures is quite useful.

No doubt, I find his medical insight interesting but it's very difficult not to read his posts on Schumacher and now Bianchi and think the worst. It's obviously a very fine line to thread between the two but I feel that he adds too much to speculation

• Registered Users Posts: 30,174 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Looking back at race, it did show the marshals immediately put their hands up calling for medical attention. Was a slight delay then before safety car then called out

#ForzaJules is the second Top Trend Worldwide on Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

He certainly doesn't dress things up. But in the same respect, for all intents & purposes he is an expert on formula one medical treatment & procedures, & in the end, he wasn't far wrong about Schumacher's prognosis either, certainly as far as we can tell. I think a lot of what he says is perceived as scare mongering etc, and it is kind of detached/from a professional perspective. It is more than someone just throwing guess etc out there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,962 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its incredible the parallels with the de Villota incident, but of course it should never happen in controlled circuit scenario.

I think its likely we are about to hear of the first fatality in F1 for 20 years and probably the immediate closure of the Marussia team. Sponsors will run away.

When you look at the outcomes of Maria and in other circumstances Schumacher, the best you can hope for is that Bianchi knew nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its incredible the parallels with the de Villota incident, but of course it should never happen in controlled circuit scenario.

I think its likely we are about to hear of the first fatality in F1 for 20 years and probably the immediate closure of the Marussia team. Sponsors will run away.

When you look at the outcomes of Maria and in other circumstances Schumacher, the best you can hope for is that Bianchi knew nothing about it.

Its actually the fourth if thats the case and all have involved marshaling situations.

The last three were marshals and dont feature on the radar so much but every one is a human life and of equal value. Those stupid JCBs, trucks and recovery vehicles need to be kept off track.

Remember someone hitting the opened door of a safety car at one stage - cant remember who a few years ago.

I remember Schumacher coming very close to hitting one of the recovery vehicles in Brazil. There has need a lot of near misses over the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Hindsight is a great thing. Just recap the race from Lap 39. Conditions had become worse, rain was falling heavier, visability had dropped, cars were beginning to slip and slide on the inter's. It was plain obvious that those cars should have been on full wets when Magnussen changed but the teams and race engineers make those decisions along with the drivers. The second point I totally agree with, absoultely no way should a JCB have entered the track without the safety car been deployed however we don't fully know the circumstances surrounding the crash as of yet. The main focus now is the driver making a recovery and perhaps lessons learned. I do hope he's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Remember someone hitting the opened door of a safety car at one stage - cant remember who a few years ago.

Nick Heidfeld, in Brazil, either 2001, or 2002 I think.

• Advertisement

French Media have apparently spoken to Bianchi's Father, who says Jules suffered severe had trauma, and is being operated on. He remains in critical condition.

Advertisement