Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to go about closing Current Account.

Options
  • 02-10-2014 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭

I'm done with the Bank of Ireland. 

First and foremost, i had an overdraft facility on my account all along. When the bank changed over the SEPA, this facility was removed, without me being notified.  I rang and got a cheeky response from "Customer Service" telling me I never had such a facility. But, "luckily" for me, I could now apply for one. I did, and was made to feel like I was applying for a huge loan the way things were carried out. "Standard Procedure" no doubt

So, because the overdraft facility was removed without my agreement or warning, I missed a direct debit payment. And the lovely bank decided that, as I had no money in the account, they would charge me another €12.70 to write to the company the direct debit was due to. 

And now today, I got charged a €30 overdraft facility fee. I have another direct debit due today. Because the bank took this €30 from me, I will now be in an overdraft situation. And I will have to pay the Bank €5 for the pleasure. And earlier this week, I was hit for €31 notified fees.

So, because of this mess that was not of my creating, I have had to pay the following:

€12.70 to the bank for them to issue a letter - must have been typed out on gold.
    €3 admin fee to the company that I missed the direct debit with, again, through no fault of my own.
    €30 for an overdraft Facility fee

And possibly another €5 later today, when I miss the direct debit, due to the BOI robbing me again.

So, i'm done. Finished. This is too much. 

I want to now close the account. What is the procedure?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Hi gerrbbadd,

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards. 

We are very sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the service you have received. 

In this case, a Customer Advisor in your branch will be able to look into your lending history on your account. They will also be able to investigate the unpaid fee on your account and if possible refund it if it was applied incorrectly. 

When you have an overdraft facility applied to your account, you would be advised at the time of the application, that there is an annual overdraft facility fee of €30. This would also be explained in the terms and conditions for Overdrafts here. This fee is charged on the date that the Overdraft is applied to your account, or on the anniversary date that this was applied. 

We have included tips on how to reduce fees on your account in our Schedule of Fees and Charges, which may be of help to you. Please find them here on page 27. 

We are sorry to hear that you wish to close your account and hope that you will reconsider. 
    Should you wish to have an Advisor from your branch contact you regarding these fees, please send us a PM including your name, contact number, and account holding branch. We will be happy to arrange this call back for you. 

If you wish to go ahead with closing your account, you can do so by calling into your branch with photo ID such as a passport or driving license, and your account details, a staff member within the branch will then assist you. 

Alternatively, you can send this request in writing by post (an email or fax would not be accepted). If you require the remaining balance in your account to be issued to you by bank draft, please state who the draft should be made payable to. 

If you require the balance to be transferred to a replacement account, we will require details of the beneficiary account i.e. the account name, IBAN & BIC code. 

Please note that if you are currently signed up for eStatements, please ensure to switch back to paper statements before having the account closed. This will ensure you are able to receive your closing statement. Once an account has closed it is automatically removed from online access.

Again, if you wish for a call back from your branch to be arranged, please let us know in a PM. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi gerrybbadd, 

We would like to look into this further for you. 
    Can you please send a DM with your name and the branch your account is held with?

Many thanks.

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Hi gerrybbadd, 

We would like to look into this further for you. 
    Can you please send a DM with your name and the branch your account is held with?

Many thanks.

Billy

Hi Billy,

I've tried to Pm you but can't, as I get a message saying you've opted not to recieve pm's

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Oh! And as I had feared, I ended up going into an overdraft situation as feared due to the BOI taking money from me. So the bank will be looking for another €5 from me again soon no doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi gerrybbadd

To send us a PM please ensure to have signatures set to display in your control panel settings. Then you can click on the link displayed in my signature to send your PM. 

Can you please include your full name, contact number and your account holding branch? Please be careful not to send account details in your PM. 

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks
    Alison

• Advertisement
Advertisement