Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPad Refurb - good deal?

• 02-10-2014 1:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Just purchased this.

http://store.apple.com/ie/product/FC706B/A/refurbished-ipad-with-wi-fi-32gb-black-3rd-generation

iPad 9.7" 3rd Gen with Retina display 32GB for €369

Would folk say this is a good deal? I'd only be using it for browsing/streaming and reading ebooks/pdf textbooks. I was going to opt for the cheaper 16GB but I didn't want to risk the lower storage.

Basically, my only major wants were a full size tablet (around 10") with a good screen. I've been wrecking my head the last couple of days looking at my options, which were the newer iPads and Galaxy Tab S (more than I want to spend), or the likes of the Galaxy Tab4 (only €250+, but poor screen imo).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭squonk

Well I'm not sure what you are looking for in terms of a good deal. I might have gone for an iPad 4 if the price was fairly similar. The only difference really between the iPad 3 and the 4 is that the 4 has the new lightening port and better graphics, though for you the graphics won't matter greatly. When I owned a 3 I did find it a bit of a heavy beast compared to the iPad 2. I really think they got it about right with the 2 and it took the release of the Air for them to improve on that. All that being said, I think you got a decent iPad for a fair enough price. You'll get a few more years of iOS support out of it before it's deprecated. Bear in mind though that it's basically an iPad 2 with a fancy screen but it'll be OK for what you're doing. The ebook reading might be not as pleasant as it could be with the weight but you do get used to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Thanks for that.

I probably won't use it for ebooks much at all as I have a kindle. But I'll definitely use for pdf textbooks for college.

The iPad 4 is 409, not much more but don't really want to go over 400, in fact I've paid more than I'd have preferred anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I've had a 3rd Gen since they were released - still going strong. A bit on the heavy side, but until the Air came out there's very little between them. It has the retina which is the main thing.

If it doesn't have iOS 8 on it, I wouldn't bother updating it. Might just slow things down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It came this morning, now that's a speedy delivery as I ordered yesterday lunchtime. Haven't had a chance to turn it on but it looks brand spanking new!

It is quite heavy, I reckon I could quite easily kill someone with it.

Advertisement