Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

child is asking for too much off santa

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

ezra_pound wrote: »
    From my own personal experience the people who go absolutely bonkers spending huge amounts of money getting presents for Christmas are not very well off... At all.

I agree that this is remarkably early to be thinking about Xmas. We typically only watch Netflix so our kids are kept relatively safe from advertising most of the time. TV advertising is evil alright.
    That's why we're a cbeebies home here.

My son, 3.5, has started asking for toys everytime were out and he sees them so I've started telling him to put them on his Santa list. He'll know straight off that he doesn't get everything he puts on it but it's to tell Santa what he's interested in. He was asking for new toys everyday on holidays and I told him if he got too many toys when it's not Christmas or his birthday that Santa wouldn't visit as he'd think he has enough. I don't know if it really sinks in but we want to start as we mean to go on.

Op if your daughter is 6 then surely she's old enough to understand if you explain to her that Santa only brings 2 or3 things.

• Administrators Posts: 14,036 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I think your daughter is no different to any other child. I'm guessing the exact phrase used is "I'm getting that for Christmas". I keep saying "Ok" to mine and then when the time comes to write the letters they write 3 things.

And it's never too early for a child to start thinking about Christmas!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭wdmfapq4zs83hv

When I was a kid, I was told my parents had to send the money to Santy for the elves to make all the toys, Therefore I could never ask for something too expensive. For my own kids, who are only todders now, I like the rule of only asking for one small pressie, one big pressie & a surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Gatling wrote: »
    The grinch who stole Christmas
    Lightweight. Tell her there's no Santa, her parents buy the presents, and she'll get what she deserves. Now that there is some proper ol' skool grinchin'!

Or tell her it's true that Santa can make as many presents as he likes, but Rudolph gets very tired, so he only carries two and a surprise for each child to make sure the reindeer can finish the shift. Things haven't been the same since PETA got involved in midwinter gift distribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I read in another thread a few years ago that someone suggested saying that if well off parents could give money to santa to get extra presents from him.I think thats the hardest thing about explaining santa, why did other kids get more, especially when its the spoilt little unbehaved gits.
    This!

My step-son's soon to be step-mother has very different ideas on what an appropriate amount of money to spend on her son for his birthday or at Christmas than we do which I'm amazed hasn't caused more problems than it has to date. I'm expecting a melt-down one of these years along the lines of "but X is getting an XBOX 1 AND a Playstation 4 from Santa! and he's only 4!!!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Okay, when I read these threads I realise my son is actually really good. He is 5 and is asking for a few wrestlers and one or two other little snippets and apparently he knows what his little sister should get. But really, kids ask for a thousand things everyday. You don't actually give in and get them all....or do some people :eek:

Get one or two bits you know the child has genuinely had an eye on and maybe one or two other little bits (pending budget) my guy only got one toy last year (a bike) but this year he is going to have about 100e and we will see how many wrestlers and the like we can get for that. Probably 5-6 and then a DVD and nana is getting him transformers, that's it. And maybe a budget of ten euro gift exchange between him and his sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I told my girls when they were little that on St Stephen day they start off with hundred of toys on Santy's list.. every time they do something bold or be mean to each other for the year, Santy will knock a present off their list... :pac: so when they got a couple of things off a long list i'd say 'wow... what the flip were yis at??' .. mean... but effective :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

cbyrd wrote: »
    I told my girls when they were little that on St Stephen day they start off with hundred of toys on Santy's list.. every time they do something bold or be mean to each other for the year, Santy will knock a present off their list... :pac: so when they got a couple of things off a long list i'd say 'wow... what the flip were yis at??' .. mean... but effective :pac::pac::pac:

To take it to its extreme...they're so bad, they owe santa toys :cool:

My 4 year old wants a blue scooter....sorted:D

He has enough toys to supply santa with everything he needs. Vincent de Paul are a curse in our house....he passes by and always wants to go into the toy shop. Thankfully when we bring him in we can get good toys cheaply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

The child is 6 and should be happy with a few things come christmas but why do i get the feeling that the op might just go overboard

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

When is too young to explain money? I don't discuss money matters infront of my kids but when it comes to Santa I tell my 6yr old that we have to pay Santa !! He is very bright and questions everything and big into gadgets so looking for an Xbox or iPad, personally I wouldn't spend any more than €200 on a 6 yr old so I tell him that's too much money. He wants de whole Lego series so rule in our house is 3 things (provided they are not too expensive) I don't think there is any harm in learning de value of money!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,534 ✭✭✭✭ted1

jeni wrote: »
    my six year old picked what she wants off santy from smyths catalogue, she picked two grand worth of stuff, I tried to explain to her that it's too much money and she said it's OK cause santy makes the toys, i then said but he can only carry so much, she seemed ok with this, but thing is she has no concept of money, anyone any tips of how I can teach her about it

Just say NO, your the parent. Tell her that's being greedy, other kids needs toys too.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

have never said x amount of toys to my 3 kids its always been Santa has to make toys for every child in the world and making toys costs money. so I tell them not to pick expensive things because they simply won't get it. kids love the excitement of opening a new toy no matter how cheap/expensive it is . when I look back on my Xmas pressies I often say to my da you must be sittin on a goldmine (jokingly) cos we got very little . but watever we got we loved cos we got nothing all yr round! know how ur feeling OP though cos I feel like treating my kids to all the things I never had but then I think to myself there will be no appreciation if I do !

• Registered Users Posts: 14 VladToBeHere

Santa will bring all of the toys, but the government needs to take most of them in 'toy taxes' to pay for the banks.

Might as well get her used to the idea early, as that's what she'll be doing for her adult life...
    Thank-you, this brightened my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Mammycat1

The whole "Santy" lie is ridiculous. Why do people continue with this nonsense. He doesnt exist, dont lie to your children in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

Mammycat1 wrote: »
    The whole "Santy" lie is ridiculous. Why do people continue with this nonsense. He doesnt exist, dont lie to your children in the first place.

There are so many bad things in the world but I don't think Santa is one of them. It's a fun thing and a little magical fantasy for children to believe in.
    Fairies aren't real but we still tell our children stories because it delights them!

It's impossible not to lie to your child if you want to protect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I found out about the lie at 7 years old no toys for Christmas after that. It never bothered me in the slightest.

I heard about an 11 year old recently that was out in the car with his father one day and he started asking his father about santa. His father left out a roar "where the fcuk do you think the toys come from?" When he realized there was no santy he started bawling his eyes out in the car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,534 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Really? ( any other response and I'd get a ban)

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I found out about the lie at 7 years old no toys for Christmas after that. It never bothered me in the slightest.

I heard about an 11 year old recently that was out in the car with his father one day and he started asking his father about santa. His father left out a roar "where the fcuk do you think the toys come from?" When he realized there was no santy he started bawling his eyes out in the car :D

That poor boy :(

That poor boy :(
    11 years old you're joking right? What age do you think santy should stop 15 :eek:

11 years old you're joking right? What age do you think santy should stop 15 :eek:

It's the way the father told him and kids grow up way to fast in my opinion. 11 is still young. He was probably going to come to the conclusion himself soon enough. Could he not have one last Christmas believing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭forgodssake

Mammycat1 wrote:
    the question asked was how the op handles a situation regarding to Santa costs not whether his child should believe in Santa or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Mammycat1

the question asked was how the op handles a situation regarding to Santa costs not whether his child should believe in Santa or not.

Fair enough. We were poor when i was little and i could never understand why we got so little and other kids got loads and i.suppose it made me feel like there was something inherently wrong with me. Would have been nice if i knew it was because my parents couldnt afford more. I think i could have got my head around that.

Fair enough. We were poor when i was little and i could never understand why we got so little and other kids got loads and i.suppose it made me feel like there was something inherently wrong with me. Would have been nice if i knew it was because my parents couldnt afford more. I think i could have got my head around that.

We never celebrated Christmas at all growing up, and I was told Santa wasn't real from day one!! At least you got something! Even if it was little and I'm surprised you didn't kind of suss it out yourself.

Still haven't said all that my childhood hasn't left me bitter at all and I think it's nice that children have Santa to believe in. It's just once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Half the fun of Christmas is picking out loads of things and seeing what Santa has room for on the sleigh! Let your child pick out all that she wants, but explain that Santa chooses x amount of gifts to bring. That will also help you if you can't find the must have toy of the year. And remember that by 3pm on Christmas day, she'll be playing with the cheap yoke you picked up in Dealz for €3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Or that his father shouted obscenities at him

neemish wrote: »
    Half the fun of Christmas is picking out loads of things and seeing what Santa has room for on the sleigh! Let your child pick out all that she wants, but explain that Santa chooses x amount of gifts to bring. That will also help you if you can't find the must have toy of the year. And remember that by 3pm on Christmas day, she'll be playing with the cheap yoke you picked up in Dealz for €3.

So true, and dealz has some great cheap toys this year.

efb wrote: »
    Or that his father shouted obscenities at him

He's a grown man now and finds it funny looking back at it. .

Yeah, NOW he finds it funny but not at 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

One big thing, one small thing and a surprise.

Santa has to make stuff for all the children, he can't be making half the Smyths catalogue for one kid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

recently...

Advertisement