Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Restoration of license pre new rules, need advice

• 02-10-2014 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Hi i am getting different information about my situation, from NDLS etc

Heres my story

I did my motorbike theory in 2007 and got my first provisional, got my second provisional in 2009.

I got a 3 year driving ban in sept 2011 just as my second prov was running out.

I applied for the license back after two years in sept 2013 and had it granted back, i then rang the motor tax office they said had my license they said i needed to book my full test and come into them with the proof.

I never bothered getting it back last year as i did not need transport as i got a job from home

also will i have any restrictions in what size bike i get? i was on a 125cc until i was banned

my old prov did only say a1 and M it may of been because i was only 16/17 ? im now 25. i did the full motorbike theory

Im now looking to get it back, I know all licenses have moved to NDLS from the motor tax office since oct 2013

I rang up their info line and i was told I need to book my full test 85 euro, and come into them and fill in a new license form also 35 euro and I will get my 3r prov (learner permit) until i have my full test

Someone else also told me i have to do this new IB Training ?

Can anyone tell me which is correct

Also how long will you be waiting roughly in South dublin for a full motorbike test from date of booking ?( because i dont have a bike yet, dont want to book the test and have no bike to do it with)

Sorry for long post, getting different answers all over the place, any confirmation would be excellent

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

You need to Book a test and have the booking ref to get your 3rd learner permit issued.(993)
    You should apply for cat A ( unrestricted ) because you are over 24.
    If taking the A category, you would need to complete IBT and then you can do a test on an unrestricted bike.
    If you wish, you can get an A2 (providing that you had held an A25kw learner permit) and carry on regardless on an A2 bike (35kw max) but you will be restricted forever until you complete IBT to entitle you to ride unrestricted bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭pittsburgh

Thanks for the reply

So I'm right I'm say I can drive A2 bikes without doing the IBT training ? What cc max is that? Because I am only looking for a 125cc or 250

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Then you are ok.
    You would still need to do the test on an A2 bike. 125 or 250 is not big enough.
    Min is 395cc for test.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭pittsburgh

Then you are ok.
    You would still need to do the test on an A2 bike. 125 or 250 is not big enough.
    Min is 395cc for test.

So if i was to get myself a 125cc or 250cc, book my full driving test (do it A1 category) i would not have to complete IBT training?

Sorry for all the questions

thanks for any help

edit looking on citizens information it says you cant be tested for 250ccs?

I might go for a 400cc then, same question would i have to do the ibt training?

whats the highest cc i could drive without doing the ibt training?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

pittsburgh wrote: »
    So if i was to get myself a 125cc or 250cc, book my full driving test (do it A1 category) i would not have to complete IBT training?

Sorry for all the questions

thanks for any help

edit looking on citizens information it says you cant be tested for 250ccs?

I might go for a 400cc then, same question would i have to do the ibt training?

whats the highest cc i could drive without doing the ibt training?

You will have to do the ibt for anything other than the A1 as that is all you had previously before ibt was introduced. Your new permit will say 993 for A1 but 991 for A2 & A meaning your first permit in those categories. Once you apply for you test you have the option of cancelling twice before you loose your fee or have to take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Roadskill wrote: »
    You will have to do the ibt for anything other than the A1 as that is all you had previously before ibt was introduced. Your new permit will say 993 for A1 but 991 for A2 & A meaning your first permit in those categories. Once you apply for you test you have the option of cancelling twice before you loose your fee or have to take it.

And don't forget you will have just one year on a 993 if you haven't failed a practical test in that category.

Don't also forget that if you had a B, BE, W or any group 2's on that LP you may have to show proof of test application for these too or surrender the category.

Don't also also forget that you can chip away at IBT over time and your riding will benefit from it :)

Don't also also also forget that you can hire school bikes to complete the full A test on although a few pre-tests won't go amiss. It all depends on how much you lurve bikes and how much time and money you want to devote to your biking experience or whether it's just rudimentary transport to you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

cantdecide wrote: »
    And don't forget you will have just one year on a 993 if you haven't failed a practical test in that category.

Don't also forget that if you had a B, BE, W or any group 2's on that LP you may have to show proof of test application for these too or surrender the category.

Don't also also forget that you can chip away at IBT over time and your riding will benefit from it :)

Don't also also also forget that you can hire school bikes to complete the full A test on although a few pre-tests won't go amiss. It all depends on how much you lurve bikes and how much time and money you want to devote to your biking experience or whether it's just rudimentary transport to you...

Don't forget to read this post everyone.

Advertisement