Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A&R October spooktacular!

• 02-10-2014 2:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭

So tis one of the best times of the year when spooky scary things happen and what better way to celebrate than to indulge in some scary games. Myself I think I'll be finishing resident evil 4 and starting up ju-on and project zero 2. Maybe pick up the evil within later on in the month too. So What will everyone else be playing and what are some of your favorite scary games?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Silent Hill 2! Moved it onto the PS2 HDD over the weekend so it's prepped and good to go.

13 years since it was released though, bad omen. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I'm going over the games I have in my head and I don't think I own one horror game. I was never a fan of scary games/movies growing up and now they don't effect me in the slightest. Maybe it was all of the jump scare videos everyone had on their phones when I was in school.... I'll probably keep an eye out for some though. I don't recall playing much of any horror game series, just a few minutes here or there with friends/family.

I did pick up the Universal Classic Monsters blu-ray box set a few months ago, so I'll definitely be watching that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I love Project Zero 2, pick up the Xbox version if you haven't got it already, it plays on the 360, I think it's the one to go for myself, finish it on nightmare difficulty and get the promise ending. Beautiful ending to a wonderful game, really liked the sound and music in the game and found it very atmospheric throughout.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I started PZ2 last Halloween and never got around to finishing it so hopefully I'll get around to it. I think this year I'll be going for Sweet Home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Might finally get to Dead Space 1,2,3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

eddhorse wrote: »
    Might finally get to Dead Space 1,2,3

One of those is a scary game, the rest are not..... the choice is yours!

Me, I'm looking at a lot of scary games here, trying to figure what best to brown trouser myself in the coming weeks....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't think the first dead space is even that great a game. Gets more credit than it deserves. It's fun to a point and then you're doing the same stuff over and over. It does have incredible sound effects though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

o1s1n wrote: »
    13 years since it was released though, bad omen. :eek:

Or seasonally appropriate!
    Monkeykube wrote: »
    I love Project Zero 2, pick up the Xbox version if you haven't got it already, it plays on the 360, I think it's the one to go for myself, finish it on nightmare difficulty and get the promise ending. Beautiful ending to a wonderful game, really liked the sound and music in the game and found it very atmospheric throughout.

Yeah I have the xbox version. Didn't know it works on the 360, are there any issues when playing it that way like there are in some games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Had a bash of Silent Hill 2 the other day, amazing game still! I'll go through 3 but Silent Hill 4 can **** right off

Might try and get into forbidden siren and give Eternal Darkness a go on the crt

Apart from that I'll just stick to Zombie Ate My Neighbours!

I love Halloween!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Have had Alice: Madness Returns sitting on my Xbox hard drive for ages, might get started on it at the weekend.

Also recently re-bought Lollipop Chainsaw on the cheap recently, if I can get past
    Zombie Baseball
    I might actually get to enjoy the rest of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Or seasonally appropriate!

Yeah I have the xbox version. Didn't know it works on the 360, are there any issues when playing it that way like there are in some games?

No, I never had any problems. The first pz won't work on the 360 though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Have had Alice: Madness Returns sitting on my Xbox hard drive for ages, might get started on it at the weekend.

Also recently re-bought Lollipop Chainsaw on the cheap recently, if I can get past
    Zombie Baseball
    I might actually get to enjoy the rest of the game.

I have the Alice title there for the PS3 myself, includes an installable copy of the first game, American McGee's Alice, must throw myself back into the PS3 title, though it is infuriating at times the visuals are fantastic.

Have to wonder about a guy who puts his name into the title, he is certainly making his role with id games go far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Has to be Clock Tower 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭ripperman

Oooh good thread!

I'll be picking up The Evil Within for sure

Some of my past favs are

Resi 2 and 4
    Silent Hill 1,2,3,4
    Project Zero
    The Thing
    Eternal Darkness
    Alone in the Dark (The New Nightmare)
    Gregory Horror Show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Really enjoy the first Alice years ago, got the second one on Steam recently so might give that a whirl.

Dead Space may be not brilliant but its damn creepy to play in the dark with the sound up !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    One of those is a scary game, the rest are not..... the choice is yours!

DS2 has some really unsettling bits, like going through the creche/school areas.

For me, it'll maybe be:
    Another playthrough of Eternal Darkness
    Resident Evil (REmake!)
    Consider going back to Amnesia (Probably play for 10 - 20 minutes before the NOPE!!! kicks in...)
    And a little bit of Alien3 on the SNES :D

Really enjoy the first Alice years ago, got the second one on Steam recently so might give that a whirl.

Dead Space may be not brilliant but its damn creepy to play in the dark with the sound up !!

Don't mind your man and Dead Space, it's got some very clever uses of sound and light more often found in cinema, and I think he got stuck on the turret level and so is a bit on the bitter side!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

ripperman wrote: »
    Gregory Horror Show

That is easily one of the scariest games ever made.

JUDGEMEEEEEENT!

Yrb3jCw.jpg

Alien Isolation out tomorrow, Spook Tacular material?

Started the fan translation of Nanashi no Game. Very creative game. Basically it's the ring but instead of a videotape it's a game that you play that gives you 7 days to live. The game in question appears on you 'TS' handheld system after being sent to you by a friend. The game takes the form of a weird glitchy famicom style RPG that gets glitch ire the more messed up the game gets. The game starts spilling out into the real world. Lots of creepiness and and good dollop of jump scares. Definitely one to try out, there's nothing else like it.

• Advertisement

Is that on the DS?

Yep.

I have taken on a Spooktacular October challenge.
    A game I have owned since it's release ten long years ago on the PS2.
    So many amazing horror titles have been released on the format, I'm sure you know I have a good few of them in my collection, and this one has confounded me since I bought it.
    Silent Hill 2 has nothing on this...

It is

Nightmare Before Christmas: Oogies Revenge!!!!!

Still has the 44.99 sticker on the cover, Gamestop, robbin b@st@rds!!!

So, I have spent exactly 2 and a half hours so far on it, in ten years, and doubled that this afternoon.
    The game has a lot against it, dodgy camera being one of them, grinding down bosses with a about two attacks is another.
    But I love the film and I think I might stick this one out, see how far I can get before pegging it through a window!

Master of the Universe

So just started Silent Hill 2 this evening. Playing it from the HDD and the load times are practically nonexistent! The load screen appears for a second (barely one footprint appears) and then its gone. Excellent :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    So just started Silent Hill 2 this evening. Playing it from the HDD and the load times are practically nonexistent! The load screen appears for a second (barely one footprint appears) and then its gone. Excellent :D

Brown trouser when you got the torch?

Master of the Universe

Brown trouser when you got the torch?

So much brown :(

Nanashi no Game has scary ghosts!

There's quite a few jump scares in the game, I've been caught out by the more than once. The game has 3D sound so definitely play with headphones.

Talking about 3D sound, has anyone else played corpse party with headphones? The positional stereo sound in that game is incredible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Alien Isolation out tomorrow, Spook Tacular material?
    Was just coming in to post that, its absolutely terrifying, not the nauseous persistent fear you get in Silent Hill more jump scare based but fook me I was hiding in a locker the other night with the xenomorph slinking around outside and it was one of the scariest things Ive ever experienced in any medium, they got the Alien feel spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Thargor wrote: »
    but fook me I was hiding in a locker the other night with the xenomorph slinking around outside and it was one of the scariest things Ive ever experienced in any medium

For a minute there I was confusing it with a polymorph.
    That would be just as scary, the thought of been turned into the A&R equivalent of Dwayne Dibbley.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

So it turns out I've already played the first few hours of Silent Hill 2, a lot of it is coming back to me as I play through again. Must have given it a go a few years ago. I do remember having a physical copy of it at one point.

Bloody hell, it doesn't take away from the terror of the game. Dat music! There have been a few times where it hits a crescendo and I just want to run away screaming 'no more!!!'

Wait until you get to the historical society. Forget terror, from then on you'll just feel ill and really off. It just gets so messed up from there on.

Nurse's acting like homicidal lunatics, carrying cut throat razors, or as we call it in work, Tuesday.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Nurse's acting like homicidal lunatics, carrying cut throat razors, or as we call it in work, Tuesday.

Feel sorry for the patients so! :pac:

Although once Ebola gets a hold over here it'll be a free for all anyway.

Nanashi no Game finished. Not the most amazing game ever but well worth paying due to the interesting mechanics and ideas. It's pretty short as well. Plenty of jump scares but don't expect silen hill 2 levels of incredible writing.

Advertisement