Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers** Series 8, Episode 7 - "Kill The Moon"

Options
  • 02-10-2014 2:21pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Love the title if nothing else!

Supposedly, first-time Who writer Peter Harness was instructed by Moffat to "Hinchcliffe the s**t out of it [the script]", so I guess there's a strong chance this weeks story will be a dark, horror-tinged adventure, harking back to Tom Baker's early years, when the show was presided over by then chief-writer Phillip Hinchcliffe. These stories were often dark and violent, dripping with gothic horror (insofar as budgets allowed), and while it was generally considered a high water mark in the classic series' run, it lead to a vocal backlash from concerned viewers & worrywarts that the show was becoming too dark and scary, ultimately forcing a change of tone and starting the slow decline into the neon camp the series became in later years.

So as a big fan of the Hinchcliffe era, kinda looking forward to this one...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭tritium

pixelburp wrote: »
    Love the title if nothing else!

Supposedly, first-time Who writer Peter Harness was instructed by Moffat to "Hinchcliffe the s**t out of it [the script]", so I guess there's a strong chance this weeks story will be a dark, horror-tinged adventure, harking back to Tom Baker's early years, when the show was presided over by then chief-writer Phillip Hinchcliffe. These stories were often dark and violent, dripping with gothic horror (insofar as budgets allowed), and while it was generally considered a high water mark in the classic series' run, it lead to a vocal backlash from concerned viewers & worrywarts that the show was becoming too dark and scary, ultimately forcing a change of tone and starting the slow decline into the neon camp the series became in later years.

So as a big fan of the Hinchcliffe era, kinda looking forward to this one...

From the next time..trailer it all looks a bit Dr Who meets Alien.

Hope I'm wrong though...

Or right in a good way....

If you know what I mean

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'm all for darker. However, Listen was the first episode I wasn't willing to show my son. He's got a thick skin and a love of horror and dark things (even though he's not five til January), but I thought that the ambiguity about the monster meant that I couldn't be sure he'd be nightmare free. Normally, it's the Doctor who saves the day, but that didn't happen in that episode.

It'll be a real treat for him in a few years' time.

I'm going to preview this one for him too. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Question is, will we see the moonites?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Technically they'd be called Selenites. Once I helped win a game of Trivial pursuit with that answer. In Italian. Oh yes.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I'm guessing Capaldi wasn't hired to bring fun and joy to the universe. Dark and disturbing with seriously Scottish eyebrows in were the job description. I suffered Matt Smith and his clown antics for long enough - lets get the show on the road. Death to the moon.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

I'm guessing Capaldi wasn't hired to bring fun and joy to the universe. Dark and disturbing with seriously Scottish eyebrows in were the job description. I suffered Matt Smith and his clown antics for long enough - lets get the show on the road. Death to the moon.

I agree completely. I'm getting a little tired of the endless comedic antics/silliness at this point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

So Clara's plan was "No likely, no lighty!"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Getting real tired of Claras **** :D leave the Doctor alone!! :P I hope that young girl isn't the new companion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I guess this means Clara will be off for a few episodes and return for season final.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Right - the moon is an egg. It's a pity I'm on a sober stretch right now, that episode would be a cracker if you were watching it stoned.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Personally I did not like it. "Cheap and pathetic" as Clara says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

This episode had soo potential to be good when you look at trailer but they blew it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

Wasn't bad, but didn't live up to the hype. I liked it on the whole though. The new kid could get very annoying, very quick so I'm really hoping she's not going to be around too much. Apart from which Doctor Who's not for kids, it's for adults so they better not be letting the kiddies infiltrate my adult programming.

Clara was right to be p!ssed off at the Doctor though. If he doesn't feel any kind of responsibility toward Clara and her safety then what's he been doing all this time, through endless decades of travelling with human companions and numerous regenerations he's always put the safety of his companions above all else, and yet here he seems to just throw it all to the wind and leave her to it. He may well have always planned to come back for her no matter what, but Clara was spot on when she said it was patronising. He handled that very badly.

I'd be p!ssed too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Did not like.

It had loads of elements I usually do like, but none of it hung together.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

scream wrote: »
    Apart from which Doctor Who's not for kids, it's for adults so they better not be letting the kiddies infiltrate my adult programming.

Better tell them to stop running competitions on Blue Peter so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Four of us here watched it and when the moon regenerated I just thought 'wtf is going on?'

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Didn't think that was great.

Don't know what else to say.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Clara was right to be p!ssed off at the Doctor though. If he doesn't feel any kind of responsibility toward Clara and her safety then what's he been doing all this time, through endless decades of travelling with human companions and numerous regenerations he's always put the safety of his companions above all else, and yet here he seems to just throw it all to the wind and leave her to it. He may well have always planned to come back for her no matter what, but Clara was spot on when she said it was patronising. He handled that very badly.
    Plus she saved him through all his previous incarnations and stuck around when he turned into grumpy old fart. Like if when Rose went all Bad wolf and saved the day and him and he went "sorry luv, sod off I'm a cat man". :D It just made no sense, even for an alien and all that.
    Four of us here watched it and when the moon regenerated I just thought 'wtf is going on?'
    Yep and don't get me started on the "100 million years" the moon has been around. Our moon has been our dancing partner for nigh on four billion years. Maybe it was a succession of regen moons? I'd hope so, as otherwise it was horribly "I couldn't be arsed to google it" lazy. Given it was repeated more than once I'm hoping the script types were subtly saying it was an ongoing life cycle thang.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Did not like.

It had loads of elements I usually do like, but none of it hung together.

I think that sums it up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Clara getting angry at the Doctor I really enjoyed. In fact for the most part it was quite good.

But Jesus Christ. That ending with the moon hatching and a new one just arriving was pathetic. What a bloody feel good nonsensical bit of faf that was. And it made no bloody sense too. And where did this miraculous beast even go.

I'm actually annoyed and a bit angry over that episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

They did it so well in "the beast below", like

• Registered Users Posts: 40 brandom

I'm seriously beginning to wonder if they are secretly having Stephen King write the endings of some of these episodes, particularly this one and the Robin Hood one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Wibbs wrote: »
    Plus she saved him through all his previous incarnations and stuck around when he turned into grumpy old fart. Like if when Rose went all Bad wolf and saved the day and him and he went "sorry luv, sod off I'm a cat man". :D It just made no sense, even for an alien and all that.

Yep and don't get me started on the "100 million years" the moon has been around. Our moon has been our dancing partner for nigh on four billion years. Maybe it was a succession of regen moons? I'd hope so, as otherwise it was horribly "I couldn't be arsed to google it" lazy. Given it was repeated more than once I'm hoping the script types were subtly saying it was an ongoing life cycle thang.

I have a theory that the doctors physical manisfestation - which affects his personality - depends on previous actions. War doctor creates 9 who is a good man but angry. He meets Rose who makes him a better person leading to 10 and 11 who are pussycats. 10/11 learn that you harm your companions no matter what you try to do. So 12 just doesn't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

I wonder if the Doctor legging it when it came to deciding to kill or not to kill was driven by his history, perhaps he is getting wary of making the decisions.?
    Not sure whats going on with the Clara story line, she both understands the doctor and hates him for it. Danny had it right, she's ready to quit but not disengaged enough to quit now. Miss disruptive was good in this, just the right balance of cock sure and unsure.
    The plot made no sense whatsoever, the moon gains weight because it's an egg? Ahem no. Stopping it growing will reduce it's mass? ahem no. The earth abandons all space and is reduced to an old shuttle and some nukes which they fail to tell the crew how to use? ahem no.
    Other than that I enjoyed it, nice to see the doctor a darker character, though theirs a danger of alienating the audience if it goes on much more, even I'm getting confused by some of his antics because they make no sense. It's arbitrary as to whether he is nice doctor or nasty doctor. I have a feeling they are out of ideas.
    Oh and we got another shot of the blackboard in the tardis, I think this may have some significance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Anybody getting a slightly sinister air from Danny Pink?

I read a couple reviews before seeing the latest episode, and I didn't find it nearly as rotten as I expected. Doc 12 got a couple nifty moments, Courtney was a bit of a revelation, but Clara's character once again is a bit lopsided, she still seems mostly like a device to explore The Doctor's character than being anything that drives her own plot. Enjoyed the set pieces, if not necessarily the story behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭jasonb

I found it interesting as it was a bit different (How the Doctor treated a companion, how the companion reacts to it) and I liked how it kinda dove straight into the action. It also had some interesting 'twists' like the 'Spiders' not actually being the baddies as such, and the 'innocent life' from the trailer not being the schoolgirl.

But I have to say it, I thought it was so heavy-handed about slapping us all in the face re Abortion and Right To Choose that it really distracted me, it took me out of the story and made me say out loud 'ok, we get it'. SciFi can be used to give an opinion on real life issues a lot better, and more subtle, than that episode...

So, yeah, some interesting bits, but a silly plot in general and some annoying bits too. Definitely setting up Clara to leave...

J.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, it had its good points and bad, it but this story definitely smelled of a plot that was totally in service of that final scene: I suppose that's common enough in any scripted drama that plot and events force characters to react and confront each other, but here it just felt that little bit too on the nose. Almost. And I'm honestly undecided on how I feel about the Clara / Doctor bust-up.

It was a while coming because who wouldn't eventually lash out at the Doctor's - especially this Doctor's - sometimes patronising treatment of humanity, but the scene in the TARDIS felt like a bit of a watershed in the Clara / Doctor relationship. Or any companion / Doctor relationship really; it's kind of hard to see where they go from here because the genie has well and truly come out of the bottle: while episodes like 'The Girl Who Waited' showed a remorse behind the 11th Doctor's callous actions, here it was all simply brazen, arrogant dickishness. Coming off the back of The Caretaker, the last two episodes have, in effect, made the Doctor seem more of an antagonist than the flaky magician who could show you the universe. I hope this is all building to some form of repentance and redemption for the 12 Doctor, if not the writers are shooting themselves in the foot here.

That said, while the substance of the Doctor remains questionable, Capaldi's performance was epic; I particularly liked his all-too-brief moment of joy at realising the moon was a 'beautiful' egg, it was side too rarely seen so far in his tenure. The astronaut's question of 'how do we kill it?' was also pretty chilling.

As for the moon stuff, oh look I'm just going to run with it because why not? Is this even the silliest idea in 2005-brand Doctor Who? I really don't think so, there has been much dafter notions like Pavingslab girlfriends and a planet of Masters. Lets just accept it and move on :D
    Wasn't bad, but didn't live up to the hype. I liked it on the whole though. The new kid could get very annoying, very quick so I'm really hoping she's not going to be around too much. Apart from which Doctor Who's not for kids, it's for adults so they better not be letting the kiddies infiltrate my adult programming.

I just watched an episode about how the moon is a giant space-egg, and that comment above's the most ridiculous thing I've heard all day! :D Doctor Who is a family show, it's absolutely, 100% for kids. and has been from the first episode way back in 1963. The new series may skilfully show how you can write weighty, intense drama mixed in with kid-friendly (or kid-scaring) action, but Doctor Who is loved by children. Long may that continue.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Didn't care for it. Ham-fisted message in it to say the least. Also really don't like Courtney, so that adds to not liking Clara and Danny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Perhaps not the greatest Who ever, but watchable nonetheless, and this run is miles better than most of the Smith episodes which were very average at best.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Only got to watch it tonight.

Ehhhhh. Eh. Yeah, I didn't dig it. They could have put some more work into their moon is an egg pseudoscience. It was a poor effort.

Womankind this is your choice! Great thanks. Now allow me to hold still while you slap me across the face with a wet haddock.

I did like Clara getting really fecking pissed off with the Doctor, though.

Spiders were crap.

Advertisement